k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

Questions about optimization are the questions BI avoid the most , no doubt about that :).

I believe that the blog was announced some time ago and it would be negative if it get "axed".

I know people here in Sweden that would like to buy the game but they want to see some progress regarding optimization before the purchase the game.

ARMA 3 has the potential of being the GAME of the Year but only if people can enjoy the game without getting poor performance with good systems.

either the work or the blog ... we chose the work ;)

Not exactly encouraging... You act as if you have only one person who is writing the blog and doing the "work"... I surely hoped that this major issue was receiving more attention than that while we sit here in the dark.

I don't think people mind waiting for optimization, but they need assurance that it will happen.

Pretty much, this... yes.

Q3 ends on September 30th. Not much time to expect any kind of significant improvement. I (still) hope to be proven wrong... but, at this point... all signs point to *no*.

ARMA 3 has the potential of being the GAME of the Year but only if people can enjoy the game without getting poor performance with good systems.

I agree. I've never seen more than 2 cores worth of cumulative cpu utilization on my box, or any publicly available benchmarks (regardless of whether it gets spread across 4, 6, 8, etc). That seems to be the limitation we will be stuck with, and can only expect optimizations that work within that engine cap. In other words, I am expecting little more than *tweaks* at this point, which will hopefully do more than simply offset the increased demand of a 280km^2 map, additional units, etc, etc.

And, there is a difference between not needing, and not using. Clearly the problem here seems to be the latter as evidenced by the frame drops and gpu utilization drops. The game is built on an engine with this limitation, so... All old news, though...

Personally, I would like to see a break-out thread for usage and optimization a'la the break-out thread for AI that was created recently... as opposed to having to choose between a blog post and "work"... whatever that ends up meaning.

Personally, I would like to see a break-out thread for usage and optimization a'la the break-out thread for AI that was created recently... as opposed to having to choose between a blog post and "work"... whatever that ends up meaning.

That would be awesome but I doubt it will happen.

I really don't know what to expect. Just have to wait for my PC to be ready.

the person who was supposed to write that blog is one of programmers who do key work on the engine be it optimizations, fixes or new stuff...

so either he works on blog about optimizations ... instead of more optimizations and thus there will be upoar about not well optimized game

or he works on optimizations for game ... instead of blog about optimizations and thus there will be complains about no blog ...

catch 22

the person who was supposed to write that blog is one of programmers who do key work on the engine be it optimizations, fixes or new stuff...

so either he works on blog about optimizations ... instead of more optimizations and thus there will be upoar about not well optimized game

or he works on optimizations for game ... instead of blog about optimizations and thus there will be complains about no blog ...

catch 22

Or he works on both... and people complain about both...

Seriously though, I don't think people will mind waiting for optimization as long as they are assured in a blog what will happen and when. The blog was promised, and he probably already started writing the blog. It's not like it takes weeks to write the blog, I'm sure he can catch some time to write it...

there was not promised when the blog happen ... :rolleyes:

i rather he work on optimizations...but.....when things are changed that will affect this.. it should be announced more.

at the moment were kind of guessing if something has been changed etc... for example.

Changelog..

* optimized rendering of distant objects bla de bla de bla *

(then like a note saying "should expect the game to run a lot more smoothly in built up areas so we can test it" :) that sorta thing)

but i do get where dwarden is coming from

A blog can be updated once in a week or every second week. The most important is that the community receives some kind of info regarding optimizations and about the progress.

I certainly understand that this guy must work instead of writing a blog , but I don't think that an update once every two weeks will harm his work.

A blog can be updated once in a week or every second week. The most important is that the community receives some kind of info regarding optimizations and about the progress.

I certainly understand that this guy must work instead of writing a blog , but I don't think that an update once every two weeks will harm his work.

///+1

This topic is basically the only thing I actively follow about Arma3.

For me, it decides whether I can enjoy basically ANY (multiplayer) mission in this game in the future.

As even the beefiest rigs can't seem to render at a decent framerate, I don't rely on near-future hardware.

i heard SaMatra's version of Wasteland is approx as twice faster than usual non optimized wasteland

And what is it, what the SaMatra version does better?

• As there is basically no AI in Wasteland, it can't be AI.
  • Is it the plain object count? No or incomplete cleanup of objects? (as performance strongly degrades after the first 5min after server restart)
  • Ineffective client-side scripts? Functions one better should not use?

From my extensive experience with A2 SaMatra Wasteland, the client-side performance is incredibly bad (after two hours after restart), even if you spawn or fly far off the map (with 0 objects around you for miles).

What in the engine is it, that prevents rendering more frames? What function appears at top of the profiler call stack? Why don't you just skip these bottleneck functions every second or third frame?

As a software engineer, these are some of the questions I'd love to see answered in this mystical blog about to come... (yes, I still have a bit of faith).

I was looking forward to the blog because arma 3 runs terrible for me really.

If BIS are in the process of optimization then forget the blog but i just hope it fixes these terrible FPS issues :(

Actually its pure business. If BIs manage to improve this sad story they will eventually get more sales and can use this improvement for marketing purposes.

Hey,

First sorry for my bad language, but it isnt my main language.

I play Arma 3 since the alpha, my system settings are over the recommend settings that are official named.

I have an AMD FX 6-Core, 16GB Ram and an HD7770 overclocked, and windows 7 ultimate.

When I play, I get arround 15-20FPS on the lowest settings, also when I doesnt take 1920x1080 (800x600, 1280x720). Its unplayable, also on good servers with low pings and so on.

Vsync is off, and I use the startup parameters, but they make my fps more slower, also when I edit my config.

The drivers if my gpu are the newest and all programms are closed.

What can I do?

On the system from my girlfriend (oldest i3, 4GB Ram, 32Bit, HD7770) I get constant 20-40FPS, but the system requirents are the "lowest".

Greeting

Edited by PurePassion
moved. please search before posting! this thread is stickied in the section you posted in

Now that depends how busy this man is! Please remember he has to probably got a family / kids etc and he needs to set aside time for them. It is also called Real Life! I am sure once the optimization issues have been somewhat solved then there will be an announcement (blog) from BIS. Let's keep playing the game and leave BIS in peace!! They are communicating with us, so that's a good thing right?

Now that depends how busy this man is! Please remember he has to probably got a family / kids etc and he needs to set aside time for them. It is also called Real Life! I am sure once the optimization issues have been somewhat solved then there will be an announcement (blog) from BIS. Let's keep playing the game and leave BIS in peace!! They are communicating with us, so that's a good thing right?

He can't take aside 30 minutes a week to write a blog? Poor excuse...

I'm just worried BI is not writing this blog, because they have nothing positive to say.

i repeatedly wrote there that we are too busy working on the 'optimizations' that there is no time to waste on blog, for now

Halp

FSAA = Disabled

SSAO = Disabled

Shadows = Normal

Objects = Low/Standard

Visibility Overall = 1000

PIP = Low

Try these settings. These will not help improve multiplayer FPS, find a better server to play on if you want to play multiplayer.

Optimization of Arma 2 is great. Is it possible to have such good performance with Arma 3? I'm dreaming about Arma 2 with animation system from Arma 3 because I'm affraid I won't be able to play Arma 3 smoothly on my PC.

He can't take aside 30 minutes a week to write a blog? Poor excuse...

I'm just worried BI is not writing this blog, because they have nothing positive to say.

i repeatedly wrote there that we are too busy working on the 'optimizations' that there is no time to waste on blog, for now

Not such a poor excuse...

So what you're saying is that you don't have someone specifically set aside to write the blogs, so you have to get a developer to do it. Here's the question: If you had the time to write a blog, do you have anything to write about? Do you have anything to show? Are you making any progress that hasn't made it to the dev branch? Because, honestly, while you are claiming that you are working on optimizations, we still haven't really seen any. So, that's all I kinda want to know. Have you all made progress with any significant optimizations that directly improve performance.

So what you're saying is that you don't have someone specifically set aside to write the blogs, so you have to get a developer to do it. Here's the question: If you had the time to write a blog, do you have anything to write about? Do you have anything to show? Are you making any progress that hasn't made it to the dev branch? Because, honestly, while you are claiming that you are working on optimizations, we still haven't really seen any. So, that's all I kinda want to know. Have you all made progress with any significant optimizations that directly improve performance.

Sorry, but seriously your asking this?

Have you not read any of the Sitreps, various forum posts relating to performance etc?

They say in the latest sitrep that there is likely only one more patch before release. Release is scheduled for q3. That means sometime in the next two months.

I'll be amazed if performance/utilization is drastically improved by release, especially considering performance as it stands is worse (on the whole) than it was during alpha now that there has been a stutter introduced with Beta (improved, but not eliminated in the last stable patch).

We shall see, though. Just don't see what much can be done since it will still be the same engine that uses no more than 2 cores worth of cpu. Add in new content, a 280km^2 island... and any potential gains (as minimal as it seems they will be) are likely to be offset by the increased scale of the game.

Daily dev branch change logs, and now daily AI change logs... Utilization/performance still never received much more than tacit acknowledgement and vague assurances that they are working on it. I remain very cautiously hopeful though. Just don't have anything tangible to grab onto to allow for any informed optimism about this issue.

p.s. all the information posted on a range of other topics concerning this game (on a regular basis) don't seem to have effected development. Curious why providing information (at least as to what is being worked on, or has been tackled already, but not made it into dev/stable) on performance related issues would create such a burden of time.