k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

i was so sure - maybe it fixed only sth. for systems like mine though. And I meant MP Performance.

because I have now 45-70 fps whereas before I had 15-30 fps - only on MP though, and only on those low fps servers. server which had high fps now have still high but not more higher.

Well that's good news. I hadn't tried it on mp because there are hardly any servers using the new build.

Well that's good news. I hadn't tried it on mp because there are hardly any servers using the new build.

I tested it and no performance increase whatsoever, he probably spawned in some wildereness or tested on low population server. (which worked fine even with first Alpha version)

I ran DEV yesterday and seen no Performance increase on any server i tried rolled back to release build.

I tested it and no performance increase whatsoever, he probably spawned in some wildereness or tested on low population server. (which worked fine even with first Alpha version)

no

why should I write it otherwise? Maybe it was sth. else. I admit changing some Drivers etc in my system - forgot about it though.

Dont you know that its a difference when you play in Editor vs 100 AI and 100 Players? If you dont know the difference - now you know. If you know the diff, why dont you think someone else does know it too?

dont you see the big picture? we are trying to find out whats causing the low fps. Accusing people that contribute with Info that they are dumb is not helping, if youre not helping and if you scare ppl to tell their tale youre part of the problem.

Lets gather Info, lets confirm it or deny it, lets find out - lets explore the scenarios.

I have no hihjer fps on Wasteland servers since I use the dev Build yesterday. thats a fact for me though.

Edited by tremanarch

Guys there's another patch today (released at 16:30 CET).. are you sure you're talking about the same dev patch?

Yeah, I didn't think there would be, I just didn't want to call him a liar since I hadn't tested it in mp myself.

no

why should I write it otherwise? Maybe it was sth. else. I admit changing some Drivers etc in my system - forgot about it though.

Dont you know that its a difference when you play in Editor vs 100 AI and 100 Players? If you dont know the difference - now you know. If you know the diff, why dont you think someone else does know it too?

dont you see the big picture? we are trying to find out whats causing the low fps. Accusing people that contribute with Info that they are dumb is not helping, if youre not helping and if you scare ppl to tell their tale youre part of the problem.

Lets gather Info, lets confirm it or deny it, lets find out - lets explore the scenarios.

I have no hihjer fps on Wasteland servers since I use the dev Build yesterday. thats a fact for me though.

I'm not accusing anyone, but if you're posting that you got about 100-150% performance increase without any actual benchmark/comparison is not really any contribution considering nobody else noticed anything so far.. You didn't even mentioned where you tested it, which mission, how many people online and so on.

So if you really have that increase feel free to post a comparison, downgrading to old build takes how much, 1-5min depending on bandwidth..

It's an upgraded ArmA II engine, which itself was an upgrade from Armed Assault, and that from Operation Flashpoint.

The 75%, 25%, 25%, 25% = Total 150% out of possible 400% is a signature of the engine with respect to multicore performance. :) Definitely needs fixing - Evolution is already unplayable, even with 100 AI.

damm...that is really disheartening :( so arma3 is really arma2.? same hooker new dress... correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that for TRUE multicore support and engine has tobe designed and built that way from the getgo and if arma3 is built on an old engine that was designed around a single core than there will no "fixing" of the CPU issue hence why they never fixed it in arma2 ...because they could not.

Edited by ric

Funny thing is tomorrow there will be a mass of new players from Alpha Lite invites, which will think there are no performance issues because SP works fairly well and they will have no access to MP. :yay:

Wonder if they knew about MP thats why its disabled :P

Any way it aint just MP.SP dont run that great really not as good as it should/could if it used the hardware we had :(

damm...that is really disheartening :( so arma3 is really arma2.? same hooker new dress... correct me if I am wrong but it is my understanding that for TRUE multicore support and engine has tobe designed and built that way from the getgo and if arma3 is built on an old engine that was designed around a single core than there will no "fixing" of the CPU issue hence why they never fixed it in arma2 ...because they could not.

Pretty much. The RV engine needed to be redesigned a long time ago but the just keep riding that poor old engine for everything it's worth. I'm still amazed that some developers just refuse to work with the technology available. You have 2,3, 4 and sometimes even more cores available on today's CPUs but they are just sitting idle, a massive waste of power. While I'm certainly no die hard advocate for next-generation consoles, they are going to bring a massive needed change to the gaming market; true multi-core support for multiplatform titles. Both consoles are x86 designs and have 8 cores running 1.6GHz. So they are basically PCs now unlike before. That means developers have to get their games to work on a load of cores, while slower there's enough of them to create a combined power output that can be amazing. We might reap the benefit when most developers move to that new train of development, our multi-core processors might also see a huge boost.

HOWEVER, the exclusive PC scene is still so stuck in their old ways of just dumping every single major calculation on the primary core and then secondary small calculations like physics on another core. It's a gigantic waste of resources and it's starting to get annoying. Visually and performance wise, you might see consoles start to pull ahead in some aspects if developers don't start utilization the power of modern gaming PCs. Yes multi-core development can be a tough nut to crack for some but we're now in 2013 and most modern gaming PCs have quad cores or more ... What the hell is the point of all those extra cores when only a handful of games utilize them?

It's kind of like arma2, very dependant on per-core performance. if there's nothing going on I have 1 core near max, 3 cores at 30% or so.

LOL, I think I'll move on, and save myself from a lot a headache.

I was planning to purchase the alpha, but to be honest I'm not very confident about the future of the game with the current dev team. I love the concept, but the realization with this ancient buggy engine is pathetic.

LOL, I think I'll move on, and save myself from a lot a headache.

I was planning to purchase the alpha, but to be honest I'm not very confident about the future of the game with the current dev team. I love the concept, but the realization with this ancient buggy engine is pathetic.

Awww, is the alpha not polished enough for you? Poor bummikins, run home now.

I'd reccomend playing at least alpha lite mate, see how it runs on your PC before you call it out. I've found it smoother, more polished and generally better to play than Arma 2, a worthy sequel in it's current state. To say I'm excited for release would be one hell of an understatement.

Awww, is the alpha not polished enough for you? Poor bummikins, run home now.

I'd reccomend playing at least alpha lite mate, see how it runs on your PC before you call it out. I've found it smoother, more polished and generally better to play than Arma 2, a worthy sequel in it's current state. To say I'm excited for release would be one hell of an understatement.

The problem is not the alpha. The point is that the multicore problem now exists for 12 years. And anyone who would bother playing ArmA 3 will have a quad core or even 6 or 8 cores.

So to say "the alpha not polished enough" is a bit of a lie.

Yep, same story here. I get good frame rates sometimes in SP with mostly very high settings, 2-3k distance, 2xAA - probably around 40-50fps max with vsync off. But in multiplayer the fps halves. If there are a reasonable amount of AI it also halves. Basically most of the time im playing its around 20-30fps.

Even in intensive scenes the first core of my CPU is at around 70% but the rest are lucky if they get to 30%. My GPU is far worse, and seems to be only at 20% utilization mostly, with overclocking not appearing to add any extra fps.

System Specs are:

i7 920 @ 3Ghz

Asus P6T Mobo

16GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Asus HD7970 @ ~1125/1500

Corsair 850TX

The problem is not the alpha. The point is that the multicore problem now exists for 12 years. And anyone who would bother playing ArmA 3 will have a quad core or even 6 or 8 cores.

So to say "the alpha not polished enough" is a bit of a lie.

Have to QFT here.

With physics simulation being added this was quite a predictable result, unless everyone expected us to play nothing but Blitkrieg PVP with no AI. :p

I really hope this issue will finally get recognized and fixed. No better time than now, before the game goes gold. With all the hype surrounding A3, they better deliver. I bought a new PC with ArmA III in mind, but so far about 50-70% of my resources are sitting there, waiting for something to do, while I play multiplayer maps at 20-30FPS...

Yeah, the Alpha excuse doesn't hold up in court. This has nothing to do with the game being an Alpha. It's a core engine problem, it has always been there and it will always be there until the engine gets an overhaul.

They can optimize by lowering the rendering / calculation done by that lonely one core doing all the work, that's about it. People who are expecting the game to be multi-core ready when it releases better brace themselves for a massive disappointment I'd say.

Makes me cry looking at my top-end 6 Core CPU with cores running 4.5GHz and the game struggles with even basic environments.

I really hope this issue will finally get recognized and fixed. No better time than now, before the game goes gold. With all the hype surrounding A3, they better deliver. I bought a new PC with ArmA III in mind, but so far about 50-70% of my resources are sitting there, waiting for something to do, while I play multiplayer maps at 20-30FPS...

I wouldn't hold your breath. Considering it seems to suffer the same problems in this respect as A2, it's fair to say the engine (or at least the part that deals with AI, multi-core usage and so on) hasn't changed much from A2 and they said they couldn't fix it in A2, so they'd have to code a new engine to fix this. Maybe for Arma IV if we're lucky!

This could very well be the most fun game I've played in a long time. It's brilliant in so many ways. I just pray that they actually will do something about the issues we're all having.

As it is right now I have to persuade myself that it's fine to play with 30 fps... You don't need 120fps that you are used to. No-no. And then you log into the editor, run around for a while. It's like running in a dreamworld.

Worst part is I can't even recommend this game to my friends because I know how disappointed they will be when they realize getting 30+ fps is actually good in this game.

GTX 580 Gigabyte OC, 1.5GB SLI

i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz

16GB RAM

256 GB SSD