k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

I closed game forcibly. FPS 3-4. During the birth, the black screen. Progress is stopped.
"Swap file" reached a limit 3435\34.
Schedule No. 2:
- Swap file =3419 mb
- loading of CPU fell
- speed of the appeal to SSD fell

- Game time 2:44hour
Schedule No. 1: I was not successful. The picture was farther same as well as at No. 2. I hurried to make a picture.

I used malloc - tbb4malloc_bi and arma3client_performance_162_137790_v10.

In game average FPS=50-30.

My style of game was not intensive. On it such good result on hours of game. Usual hours, to result FPS=3-4 it is 30-40 min.

Reports according to numbers:

â„–1  https://www.dropbox.com/s/fro7oxsfs12ywyj/ArmaReport_Log_20160731T174343_Lex.zip?dl=0
â„–2  https://www.dropbox.com/s/a6wopgvvg91e40d/ArmaReport_Log_20160731T202927_Lex.zip?dl=0

Picture of process of arma3.exe in the AnVir program

5kZ6IKt.jpg

There is no team - to release swap file. There is only a command - FLUSH , to release RAM. FLUSH is performed, but does not work to improve FPS.

After team FLUSH,  volume "Swap file" remains invariable. The volume of swap file grows during game to at most 3200-3500 Mb, it is followed by gradual falling of FPS.

My observations are different to yours.  My swap file stays well within boundaries but it seems like there is some sort of event happening that fucks everything up. One moment, everything is OK then suddenly it goes to shit.  I keep an eye on the swap file - here is a picture of it just prior to Arma bugging out and turning into a lag-fest.

cmd.PNG

As for what's going on behind the scenes, well that's beyond me but I suspect some sort of mem leak in the main process.

My observations are different to yours.  My swap file stays well within boundaries but it seems like there is some sort of event happening that fucks everything up. One moment, everything is OK then suddenly it goes to shit.  I keep an eye on the swap file - here is a picture of it just prior to Arma bugging out and turning into a lag-fest.

You watch the total amount of pagefile.sys. There are a lot of programs and background services, in the sum the general size.

-In the AnVir program program it is possible to see what volume at each process.

In the sum it also as at you.

-Any malloc doesn't change result in swap file of process of arma3.exe.

Only the visual behavior of Arma3 when there is a mistake changes

record (reading) in (from) swap file.

-Any change of pagefile.sys too don't change result.

I tried change of pagefile.sys: the volume, automatically adjusted volume, a location, shutdown of pagefile.sys.

So I wasn't expecting to be running a trace, because I wasn't expecting to run into the 1-5 FPS low poly issue anytime soon.

but I was playing today and ran into it unfortunately and noted some interesting things this time:

- My RAM usage was listed by programs to only to be using around 6GB's or so, yet for some reason on the performance tab graphs showed that I had 15.0-15.9 out of 16 allocated mostly to something that didn't exist anywhere on the task manager (this only happened after I started playing BTW) I apologize for not grabbing a screencap. 

- once the FPS issue had begun, I was asking the people I was playing with about my concerns of this being a lighting issue, despite numerous people saying that lighting is not the cause.

- Believing this was possibly HBAO(+), as this has caused issues in other major AAA titles, I asked everyone if they were running it just to sort of troubleshoot as some of the others players have experienced the issue in the past. The only other player who had encountered the issue was running HBAO as well. This is whats weird, because he went and turned it off as I was saying that (as I checked mine and saw that I too had it off) and when he turned off HBAO, my screen went black immediately, and the game recovered and ran fine. Although the memory leak or such was still there and I had to restart my PC afterwards. Not sure if its just a super random chance happening or what. But I've talked to other people who turned off HBAO thinking that too caused it and they've never had the issue since. I know ARMA 3 has had some weird things in multiplayer caused by other peoples mods/settings/etc. 

I've turned it off and I'm gonna play again with a similar environment to see what happens.

Also I don't know about anyone else, but I've only experienced this issue on Tanoa.

Also I don't know about anyone else, but I've only experienced this issue on Tanoa.

Yep, only on Tanoa. The HBAO was turned off completely so no joy on that. Wish it could be that simple right?

I want to know what information has been gathered already and if there's something we can try?

• Like 1

I took 2 frames during a long multiplayer session. 1 during average performance and 1 during lagfest with constant freezing and unresponsiveness.

Used:   arma3client_profiling_162_137872_v12.exe

Game ran in DX10 mode.

Frame with ok performance:   https://paste.ubuntu.com/22534449/

Frame during a lagfest:   https://paste.ubuntu.com/22534323/

RPT log:  

From file hosting site: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=05608505629693847584

From pastebin: http://paste.ubuntu.com/22535422/

Also I should point out that game hangs the entire system. Whenever arma3.exe is started soon after there's a "System" process up top using as much or more memory as arma3.exe does. Probably Page File I would guess. After shutting down the game system slowly returns back to normal. HDD tasks start to operate normally and don't take forever.

Yep, only on Tanoa. The HBAO was turned off completely so no joy on that. Wish it could be that simple right?

I want to know what information has been gathered already and if there's something we can try?

Yea I've ran into the issue few times after I posted that as well. Correlation does not always equal causation.  Figured I'd post it while I still remembered what happened and see what other people had to say. 

I took 2 frames during a long multiplayer session. 1 during average performance and 1 during lagfest with constant freezing and unresponsiveness.

Used:   arma3client_profiling_162_137872_v12.exe

Game ran in DX10 mode.

Frame with ok performance:   https://paste.ubuntu.com/22534449/

Frame during a lagfest:   https://paste.ubuntu.com/22534323/

RPT log:  

From file hosting site: http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=05608505629693847584

From pastebin: http://paste.ubuntu.com/22535422/

Also I should point out that game hangs the entire system. Whenever arma3.exe is started soon after there's a "System" process up top using as much or more memory as arma3.exe does. Probably Page File I would guess. After shutting down the game system slowly returns back to normal. HDD tasks start to operate normally and don't take forever.

I've been experiencing the game memory hang even during normal sessions not on Tanoa  and I have to restart my PC after I'm done playing or else it never clears totally. This was never a recurring issue until the Tanoa update. 

Also I was just playing a smallish session with some people and the FPS issue kept fluctuating on and off

I'd be fine for a few seconds, then go back to the low FPS issue for a minute, then recover, then tank again. Over and over until my game finally crashed. 

Nvidia Users: For 1-2 Fps Boost use driver 361.91 (Feb/2016). Tested here with a 970 G1 5 times and in all tests the most recent drivers loose for 1-2 fps. It´s not much but helps.

Is BIS fixing the problem of game crashing to 3-5 fps for no reason at all and 0 of 16gb ram free after couple hours of gameplay? Or are we suppose to belive it's our graphics settings that must be the issue..

Edit- found the main forum thread on this issue

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-162-performance-binary-feedback/page-82#entry3079158

See you are running W10. Did you do a clean install or updated to W10 from W7/8.1? Have read quite a few horror stories about W10 update breaking stuff, replacing drivers, some even lost whole HD partitions with data after updating from W7/8.1.

If possible try to do a clean W10 install (yes it suckz but blame MS!) or upgrade your OS to W7 :)

/KC

I have problem with CPU usage, only one core out of 8 is working . 1 core is 80% others are 20%. Is there any fix to it?

Sp plays good but multyplayer fps is low. Tried Arma launcher.

I have problem with CPU usage, only one core out of 8 is working . 1 core is 80% others are 20%. Is there any fix to it?

First 200 pages..... Its a problem since Arma 1.

• Like 1

In the Arma Launcher, go to Parameters > Advanced > + Advanced > Make sure the box on CPU Count is Checked > Change the Value in CPU Count to 8. You can do this with MaxMemory, and MaxVRAM, just make sure not to go over the specs of your system.

In the Arma Launcher, go to Parameters > Advanced > + Advanced > Make sure the box on CPU Count is Checked > Change the Value in CPU Count to 8. You can do this with MaxMemory, and MaxVRAM, just make sure not to go over the specs of your system.

I READ ALL OF THE TOPIC IN LIKE A WEEK XD

I Did this and but it didn't change nothing or just a very very small improvement that I can't see...

The question is.........

If I'm Hosting with the Server Console of Arma and I connect my self to it with the game...

Do this MaxMemory  Steal memory from the Server?

I mean..

If I set MaxMem to 10240 (whic I did) but the game actually is using only 5 Gb, can the server have access to the rest of the 5 Gb available or the MaxMem command prevent any other application to use it?

It is better to assing the memory to the Client via Launcher or to the Console with code in the .exe?

They're discrete processes, like any other process on your computer, so they will each try and use available memory.

Btw - maxmem 10240 is not what you think it is.  The game will only use 2047 max.

They're discrete processes, like any other process on your computer, so they will each try and use available memory.

Btw - maxmem 10240 is not what you think it is.  The game will only use 2047 max.

Ah okay and there's no way to change it..

Ok got it .

Thx!

Incorrect statement. It is necessary to look in the system monitor, memory use by each process.

http://imgur.com/a/QJF1O

It is possible even to clear the memory occupied with process, at this time when process works.

http://imgur.com/lhuWt16

Only it won't solve a problem of falling of FPS. A problem in the size of the file of the marked-out virtual memory of process. The volume of the marked-out virtual memory of process is limited, for the reason that arma3\32bit can't work with addresses to memory more than a volume 3200mb.  There is no correct work of process of arma3.exe with the marked-out virtual memory.

I hope BIS it can do when to correct that.

IMO this a pointless thread!

BIS don't care or can't do anything about it. Either accept the fact that game is a disaster in terms of optimization/CPU utilization or move on and play other games.

BIS don't care or can't do anything about it. Either accept the fact that game is a disaster in terms of optimization/CPU utilization or move on and play other games.

Yes senseless thread. If only BIS doesn't wish to draw attention of players  Arma2 to Arma3.

Incorrect statement. It is necessary to look in the system monitor, memory use by each process.

http://imgur.com/a/QJF1O

It is possible even to clear the memory occupied with process, at this time when process works.

http://imgur.com/lhuWt16

Only it won't solve a problem of falling of FPS. A problem in the size of the file of the marked-out virtual memory of process. The volume of the marked-out virtual memory of process is limited, for the reason that arma3\32bit can't work with addresses to memory more than a volume 3200mb.  There is no correct work of process of arma3.exe with the marked-out virtual memory.

I hope BIS it can do when to correct that.

We're talking about different things.

I think that's unfair. BIS do care and they have been doing something about it; they've been developing and testing a wide range of memory allocators over the past year. In fact I'd argue that they've been trying too hard, resulting in better performance but worse stability.

BIS is also developing a new engine called Enfusion based on an engine called Enforce which they acquired through the acquistion of the fellow-Cezch studio, Black Element.

Enfusion was recently deployed to the Dev branch of DayZ and offers substantial (50-100%) improvements in performance.

I'm not suggesting your post was pointless but I will suggest that you accept these facts or move on.

• Like 4

Everything is right. BIS strives for triumph of a victory over search of solutions of this problem. We try to find optimum solutions in this thread, at this forum.
Thanks to these general discussions, I could find optimum settings for the personal computer and play the favourite Warfare mode with FPS 60-45. Yes, still there is an emergence of mistakes with memory. But bigger time of game steadily well.