k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

Just got my 1080 and thought itd be nice to try out Apex on ultra graphics.

Well turns out I get about 20-30 fps on ultra 1440p,

Then I tried turning down the settings to all low, fps went up by like 5-10 so it hovers around 35 now, still nowhere near playable.

so what gives?

Good performance in Arma requires (in order of importance):

1) Fast CPU (3.5 min, 4.0 better & 4.5 ideally)

2) Preferably Intel

3) Fast RAM

4) SSD 

A powerful GPU helps but hardly compared to the above.

Your setup meets requirement #2 but not #1, nor #3 (you made no mention of #4).

Detail

Here are benchmarks that reinforce these claims:

http://www.techspot.com/review/712-arma-3-benchmarks/page5.html

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/156993-arma-3-cpu-vs-ram-performance-comparison-1600-2133-up-to-15-fps-gain/

http://www.hardware.fr/getgraphimg.php?id=222&n=3

Conclusion

1. Overclock your 2500k (4.0 easy, 4.2 prolly, 4.4 maybe)

2. Overclock your RAM (+10% maybe +20%?)

So you should gain +20-40%.

If you want really good framerates @ 1440p, you'll need upgrade to an i5-6600K/i7-6700k & overclock her slightly to 4.5 GHz:

https://youtu.be/bZrGImpdxy0?t=9m56s

• Like 1

After 1.62 patch I also have problems with lod problems (trees, buildings disappearing and reappearing in distance in a flickering manner) after moments into mission, accompanied by lowered FPS, sometimes down to a crawling slideshow. This also leads to jerky infantry unit animations. Before the latest stable patch the mission was fine. Below are the profiling logs, the affected one with objects flickering and lower FPS, and the normal one running fine. Both from the same mission.

log

log_normal

To my upper post, linked is a lot worse case, game came to a crawl and lods and animations went haywire.

log_worse

After 1.62 patch I also have problems with lod problems (trees, buildings disappearing and reappearing in distance in a flickering manner) after moments into mission, accompanied by lowered FPS, sometimes down to a crawling slideshow. This also leads to jerky infantry unit animations. Before the latest stable patch the mission was fine. Below are the profiling logs, the affected one with objects flickering and lower FPS, and the normal one running fine. Both from the same mission.

log

log_normal

yeah i can semi-agree with this!

obviously you get the best FPS while playing SP. but SP or MP it makes no difference you still see the FPS issues either way! since APEX introduced a new LOD system thats supposed to be smooth and render in better i find it actually makes FPS worse!

an Altislife Server that ive played on for many months now. after the APEX update ive notice the game has significantly worse FPS. when i alt tab i see the game is barely using any ram! i have given the game in parameters 2048MB's of ram so it can better utlize my ram but instead of the 1.5-2GB that i still have at disposal! instead it still decides to chug along with 500-700MB's of ram!

the before and after APEX is very clear that APEX (PERSONALLY) screwed with my FPS entirely! im encountering massive FPS drops and Lockups / freezes and on a wasteland server that ive played on for months i can only play for maybe 30-40 minutes straight before encountering major dips in FPS and it simply becomes unplayable and im unable to defend myself let alone my team. however thats not me saying that i dont get the odd dips in FPS while still playing within those 30 minutes or so!

The game simply wont utilize my ram what so ever! and its quite frankly Pissing me off!

the noticeable difference in FPS before and after APEX is a huge margin at least for me.

I'm getting back into ArmA 3 after a while and my performance in single player is so bad I can't really play. If I pause the game by tapping escape (game scene still visible in background) I get over 60 FPS no matter where I am at ultra settings and below (using graphics presets). I have Vsync disabled and rendering at 100% of 1080p. Once I resume the game I often get 15-20 FPS, or sometimes even lower on occasion. Obviously this is not acceptable nor playable, as aiming and driving become a real headache.

I've done some digging on these forums and it appears there are some options I could try typing in to the launcher parameter fields, but I'm at a loss as to what I should do there, or if that would even change anything.

Specs are as follows:

Windows 10 Home x64

Core i7-4710MQ @ 2.5 GHz (currently running at 3.5 GHz according to Speccy, no idea how that works)

8 GB DDR3

GTX 970M

1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Before anyone rags on me for having a laptop, I'll just say I need one. A desktop does not work for my situation unfortunately. I have an old outdated gaming desktop built when the GTX 570 was brand new and it gets even worse performance.

I'm getting back into ArmA 3 after a while and my performance in single player is so bad I can't really play. If I pause the game by tapping escape (game scene still visible in background) I get over 60 FPS no matter where I am at ultra settings and below (using graphics presets). I have Vsync disabled and rendering at 100% of 1080p. Once I resume the game I often get 15-20 FPS, or sometimes even lower on occasion. Obviously this is not acceptable nor playable, as aiming and driving become a real headache.

I've done some digging on these forums and it appears there are some options I could try typing in to the launcher parameter fields, but I'm at a loss as to what I should do there, or if that would even change anything.

Specs are as follows:

Windows 10 Home x64

Core i7-4710MQ @ 2.5 GHz (currently running at 3.5 GHz according to Speccy, no idea how that works)

8 GB DDR3

GTX 970M

1 TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Before anyone rags on me for having a laptop, I'll just say I need one. A desktop does not work for my situation unfortunately. I have an old outdated gaming desktop built when the GTX 570 was brand new and it gets even worse performance.

Your CPU, if is at 2.5Ghz, its too slow to handle arma. Arma runs perfectly on 4.0Ghz or 4.5, till higher Ghz, till better, no matter how cores you have 4,6 or more, most important is Ghz.

I have problems with FPS drop. I have done everything associated with fps increasing (clean-up junk files, set commands for Arma 3, overclock my CPU, put even the lowest graphics, set priority to high) but my FPS on wasteland haven't changed and I still keep getting 30-50 FPS. Once I had 60-80 FPS on a different wasteland server. I have:

CPU: Intel i7 4470 (overclocked to 3.9 GHz)

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

RAM: 8GB

If anyone can help I highly appreciate it!

I have problems with FPS drop. I have done everything associated with fps increasing (clean-up junk files, set commands for Arma 3, overclock my CPU, put even the lowest graphics, set priority to high) but my FPS on wasteland haven't changed and I still keep getting 30-50 FPS. Once I had 60-80 FPS on a different wasteland server. I have:

CPU: Intel i7 4470 (overclocked to 3.9 GHz)

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

RAM: 8GB

If anyone can help I highly appreciate it!

as mentioned earlier, low FPS in high population multiplayer missions is a mixture of things both server and clientside.

Unfortunately, on the client side, ARMA primarily runs on one core, so your FPS will not increase unless you overclock your CPU even more (which I would not recommend as you already have and any higher may cause temp issues.)

As a player, theres not much you can do for the server FPS being low. You've already done as much as you could have already.

If you take note, the high FPS wasteland server you were on either restarted recently, had less players and/or less ai assets, and less scripts. 

Can someone help me out? I recently built a new pc running with a 4790k@4.6, gtx 1070, and 16 GB RAM. As of right now, I can easily max any game out right now, with playable fps. Even arma, I've been playing multiplayer with 60-70 fps maxed. However today I went to try and get on a server, and usually whenever I first log in, my fps is super low for a few seconds, then it shoots up to what it is normally. However today, it stayed at like 5 fps, then I get kicked from the server. This happened on exile servers, and even on multiplayer campaign missions. So idk if its my internet or something weird going on? Please help!!

Hi,

I just bought a 1080GTX (Asus Strix) and have low FPS with low GPU and CPU usage.  Any ideas?

SCREENSHOT.

Because GPU is of low importance to Arma 3. Arma depends mainly on your CPU power and since the game is badly optimized you should expect the results you have right now. And BTW hopefully you didn't buy your GPU for Arma only.

game is badly optimized you should expect the results you have right now.

Occupy waiting list according to the list))) We wait three years for decisions.

Who can approach in office of BIS, take waiting list?)))

To whom laziness to go, read this subject https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-162-performance-binary-feedback/page-80

Hi guys, the past days i have a lot of Problems playing arma !

My machine is running well, i have average of 50 fps all the time. But since a week or 2 there is a problem i have look  at the Screenshot   http://imgur.com/a/9K0SO

After this issue appears, the game is not playble, A restart is requried or the fps will stay at 2-5

Things ive done !

All drivers and things are up to date - no overheating as i have watercooling

My specs intel i7 4970k 4,5ghz

Samsung evo 1tb ssd

Samsung m2 512gb

gtx 980ti

16gb of ram

msi mainboard gaming 7

i hope u guys have a solution

Hi guys, the past days i have a lot of Problems playing arma !

My machine is running well, i have average of 50 fps all the time. But since a week or 2 there is a problem i have look  at the Screenshot   http://imgur.com/a/9K0SO

After this issue appears, the game is not playble, A restart is requried or the fps will stay at 2-5

[snip]

Also having this issue, seems to happen randomly as far as I can tell, and more or less the game needs a full restart to get it back to normal FPS. Game drops to lower poly counts than Half life 1 and FPS slows to less than 10 and fluctuates unpredictably from 0-10.

Sometimes, however, it will return to normal FPS if I just stop moving and 'let it load' for a few minutes, like it's being caused by some kind of 'hang'.

This has been happening for me since the Apex update.

The issue is uncommon enough that it doesn't bother me, though I would like to know if BI knows of / is working on the bug. Sadly, as it's random, I have no idea how to recreate it.

I've also been having quite a few more crashes since Apex, most relating to "out of memory" or directx...

Specs (slightly older build)

i7 2700k @ stock clock (was OC'd until I upgraded to win 10)

16GB

MSI GTX 970 4GB

Samsung 850 Evo 500GB w/ OS and A3 installed

The issue is uncommon enough that it doesn't bother me, though I would like to know if BI knows of / is working on the bug. Sadly, as it's random, I have no idea how to recreate it.

Such an effect in the game-is not accidental.

It happens always when Arma3 are unable to access the RAM.

When Arma3 reached the size of RAM = 3400-3500 mb, this is the maximum limit of Arma3. The next step, only restart.

Such an effect in the game-is not accidental.

It happens always when Arma3 are unable to access the RAM.

When Arma3 reached the size of RAM = 3400-3500 mb, this is the maximum limit of Arma3. The next step, only restart.

In latest sitrep its mentioned, they are looking for fix. As its all related to RAM, i got questions for everyone expecting this bug:

- Did you tried ussing diferent memory allocator?

- What Branch are you using?

- What parameter in game launcher are you marked?

Maybe there is some common factor we dont take in account.

In latest sitrep its mentioned, they are looking for fix. As its all related to RAM, i got questions for everyone expecting this bug:

Tried different settings. They do not affect the result values of RAM.

Settings and distributors will affect the type of errors-If arma3 process does not stop (when FPS low), to continue to play, in anticipation of the error.

Tried different settings. They do not affect the result values of RAM.

Settings and distributors will affect the type of errors-If arma3 process does not stop (when FPS low), to continue to play, in anticipation of the error.

OK. Did you tried the profiling branch and this command typed when FPS are droping down?

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-162-performance-binary-feedback/?p=3064932

I am usually using the default tb4malloc but did a very limited amount of game playing with the Windows system malloc where I did not experience the crash. I don't think it was enough to warrant BIS only focusing on a malloc related cause, but it isn't ruled out either.

I am running the profiling branch because - and I hope everyone experiencing the crashes agrees - only through collecting the traces and submitting them to BIS are they able to find the cause of the crashes. While there are a lot of variables at play across the systems used to play Arma, the traces are what will lead to a solution. If you aren't collecting the traces and submitting them to BIS, you can't be surprised that they aren't yet upon a solution. My recommendation is that you collect the FRAME trace during normal gameplay, at the time of the crash, and if the game recovers also after the the recovery.

• Like 1

I haven't tried a different allocator since Apex, but I've played around w/ it in the past... Been running whatever the default is, but I'll try playing around with it.

Using the public branch, no betas or anything, few addons running, I'll try playing vanilla for a while and see if the crash still happens.

Launcher params: ebable HT, no splash, ExThreads, File operations, texture loading, geometry loading, maxmem 8192, maxvram 3840, CPU count 8

I'll do some reading on the profiling branch, maybe give it a try; didn't know there was such a thing until a day or so ago.

I haven't tried a different allocator since Apex, but I've played around w/ it in the past... Been running whatever the default is, but I'll try playing around with it.

Using the public branch, no betas or anything, few addons running, I'll try playing vanilla for a while and see if the crash still happens.

Launcher params: ebable HT, no splash, ExThreads, File operations, texture loading, geometry loading, maxmem 8192, maxvram 3840, CPU count 8

I'll do some reading on the profiling branch, maybe give it a try; didn't know there was such a thing until a day or so ago.

Just like focher says, try it, you are not gonna regreet it. Also use this frame to trace the faults.

Don't use cpuCount if you use enableHT. cpuCount overrides enableHT so the enableHT is there for nothing as said in here https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Startup_Parameters Just a little hint.

OK. Did you tried the profiling branch and this command typed when FPS are droping down?

https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/160288-arma-3-stable-server-162-performance-binary-feedback/?p=3064932

There is no team - to release swap file. There is only a command - FLUSH , to release RAM. FLUSH is performed, but does not work to improve FPS.

After team FLUSH,  volume "Swap file" remains invariable. The volume of swap file grows during game to at most 3200-3500 Mb, it is followed by gradual falling of FPS.

There is no team - to release swap file. There is only a command - FLUSH , to release RAM. FLUSH is performed, but does not work to improve FPS.

After team FLUSH,  volume "Swap file" remains invariable. The volume of swap file grows during game to at most 3200-3500 Mb, it is followed by gradual falling of FPS.

But its not flush command. Its FRAME. What is it doing - copy all necessary informations for developers into log file.

Then you can send the log to Dwarden or paste them on feedback tracker.