k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

I only tell you people, the BIS didnt finished Arma 3 yet, and DX 12 support may appear (in some kind of it, beacuse full support of DX12 may be unreachable). Note, this engine have almost reached limit of his functions

Fans of the Arma series, had its priorities-style game. BIS knew that it would be a problem, and produced, what is released. As a result, the style of the "end game"-no players. Most of my friends don't play in A3, play A2. Question, why release a product whose features are limited? It is an offence to deal with the issue for three years, and offer fans to make new investments in our look at the conversation about DX12.

In judicial practice, this is classed as cheating.

I appreciate and respect the work of BIS. I will be unpleasant, that you may receive an "idiot" who would file a lawsuit to obtain private benefits. And we'll write the world-"release them, they're on for DX12 promised".

Try to draw the attention of the BIS on these issues and want to see them. I don't understand this deafness.

I repeat last time, they still didnt finished game. DX12 implementation is in tests in DAYZ engine, when test become finished, they will propably move DX 12 to arma 3, whats the deal man? If servers runs bad, its server fault, try in single player - i have most of time 50+ fps. Off course, if you put a lot of AI, game will swlow down, but remember, even direct 12 wont help much in this way, game need better CPU cores utilisation, as mentioned before, this need much low-level code editing in engine, this will make most of features useless, or not working at all. This engine reached its lifetime. Noone force you to buy APEX, if you dont want it (after you know how Arma updates work - you get features for free, content for $) dont buy it, simple as that!

I have a Apex. Apex and DX12 cannot solve the problem of Arma3.
If you say-dear Arma3, we are pleased to announce we have you ApexDX12 with the ability to comfortably play 2vs2, 3vs3 within one hour. What is the magnitude of joy do you get?
I like to play 15vs15, 10vs10.
But video ticket single game, mission "Sniper". The server does not have relations.

But the performance degradation occurs in the game and on the server.

Details here https://feedback.bistudio.com/T118335

SO tell me, how its possible people are playing games like you mention with 60FPS? Did you chcecked Youtube? Please, check it, and write to authors of those movies, maybe they got solution...or better server ;)

PS: When you want to test FPS use ONLY stable branch

Video were shot by me.
You want to check as it works? We will simplify a task. You shouldn't come on the server, to play 20-30 minutes.
We model a situation when you play on the server of 20-30 minutes. The memory resource in 20-30 minutes is filled on ~ 3400mb.
Arma3exe can't use more than ~ 3400mb.
In arma3launcher to limit the MaxMem parameter 1024mb.
- Start \Single game \Demonstration \NATO
How many FPS you received? What mistake at you appeared?
What mistakes at you appear when you change other parameters of start in arma3launcher?
You are helped by any arma3client_performance from Dwarden and any malloc? I appreciate work of Dwarden, its arma3client_performance works and does FPS higher on start. But it doesn't work with memory more 3400mb.

This model of a situation shows as game behaves, when there is no opportunity to use memory more when it is required.

You can check кеш in Steam.
To optimize drivers of devices.
To switch off unnecessary services.
To send the report to a support service........

It is a standard reply to the requests of people.

I have no claims to BIS, to the server, to FPS, to PC - on the server plays no more than 8-10 people, it is possible to play 2-3 hours without game restart, all it seems ideal.

What to offer players on servers till 20-40 (more) players?

I have built a new PC with the good configuration (MB: ASUS SABERTOOTH X99 LGA 2011-v3 | CPU: Intel Core i7-6950X (10 cores, 4.1 Ghz) | Video: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 (8 Gb) | RAM 32 Gb | OS: Windows 10 - 64bit) but I don't have FPS in MP game more than 42. It does not matter what resolution and video settings I use (3840p - 1920p, all models and texture details max - low, post effects On - Off) I have low fps in game because of the low CPU threads optimization. The only parameter which helps to increase  FPS is the view distance. If I make view distance less than 1000 meters than I have more than 50 fps. I have CPU with 10 cores (20 threads, 4.1 Ghz each) and my CPU utilization is about 10% during the game because Core 0 is working on 100% but all other cores work on 15% maximum. Some people say that even CPU overclocked to 4.8 Ghz does not help much with the low fps. Something needs to be done with the Arma 3 CPU optimization.

Im not 100% on this, but im sure they have really done something to the way buildings in the distance are rendered.

Before Apex released, i noticed that when i set objects to low detail, the buildings in the distance would lose geometry quality, and increase when the ultra setting is used. But since release, if i have Object detail on low, the buildings in the far distance still seem to be rendered in the same way as if you have the ultra setting on. (The foliage still alters in quality as you would expect, but any arma player knows its the buildings that really kill fps.)

Before apex i can remember gaining something like 15 - 20 fps switching from ultra to low object detail when in a large urban place (kavala for example)

Im not sure if this is intentional or not, or if i missed something in the patch notes (sorry if that is the case) but any information would be gladly appreciated!

I have built a new PC with the good configuration (MB: ASUS SABERTOOTH X99 LGA 2011-v3 | CPU: Intel Core i7-6950X (10 cores, 4.1 Ghz) | Video: MSI GeForce GTX 1080 (8 Gb) | RAM 32 Gb | OS: Windows 10 - 64bit) but I don't have FPS in MP game more than 42. It does not matter what resolution and video settings I use (3840p - 1920p, all models and texture details max - low, post effects On - Off) I have low fps in game because of the low CPU threads optimization. The only parameter which helps to increase  FPS is the view distance. If I make view distance less than 1000 meters than I have more than 50 fps. I have CPU with 10 cores (20 threads, 4.1 Ghz each) and my CPU utilization is about 10% during the game because Core 0 is working on 100% but all other cores work on 15% maximum. Some people say that even CPU overclocked to 4.8 Ghz does not help much with the low fps. Something needs to be done with the Arma 3 CPU optimization.

If you want high FPS in Arma go for a high (4.5 GHz) CPU. Cheapest option is either i5-4690k or 6600k. Heresay isn't useful without benchmarks so here are the numbers:

http://www.techspot.com/review/712-arma-3-benchmarks/page5.html

Since you have a GTX 1080, here are some more numbers:

https://youtu.be/bs_hUIVDs6Y?t=3m25s

BTW do you have your OS and Arma installed on an an SSD?

I played MP mission on internet server after Apex release and had an FPS drop to almost 2 fps. It append just once and I was able to restore fps by ALT-TAB to windows desktop and back to game. 

Everything was fine with fps until one of the last updates (1.62 probably). Then I noticed fps drop on my previous PC. I played with view distance 3000 on GTX 980 and now I cannot play MP with good fps and view distance 2000 on GTX 1080. 

I've noticed the fps drops since... Arma 2. After while of gaming it comes to a crawl. I especially notice this when travelling a long distance and entering into a massive new area the game begins to play slower. Not unplayable but slower. Try the flush command....

press and hold LShift and Numpad - for a second or two, and then type "Flush" might help your fps drops.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Cheats

"FLUSH" command, cleans the VRAM. There's no reading RAM.

BIS, you have command "clean RAM" ?

Everything was fine with fps until one of the last updates (1.62 probably). Then I noticed fps drop on my previous PC. I played with view distance 3000 on GTX 980 and now I cannot play MP with good fps and view distance 2000 on GTX 1080. 

Is this on Tanoa? That map is significantly more taxing on systems than say altis or chernarus.

After few hours of tweaking and testing different game settings and making CPU optimization I ended up with the resolution 1920x1200 and almost all settings to maximum and view distance 3000. I have 50-60 fps. This game definitely needs to utilize more RAM instead of constantly loading models and textures from HDD. 

Well, it's still freezing to 2fps...

I had the same fps drop after 30 mins of gameplay on Tanoa End Game scenario. I was not able to recover the game. Even Ctrl-Shift-Esc (Task manager) didn't work. I had to reset my computer with the reset button.

Not the problem to achieve high FPS. The problem during game, 30-40 minutes to keep stable size FPS.
Game became laboratory of experiments, and we are laboratory assistants))).
Apex appeared, and I don't want to play, taste was gone.
I read a forum, there is no desire to start game. I during existence of all series of games, only with the advent of Arma3 began to come here. In one year - 110 posts Joined: 16-July 2015. For last 14 years there were no demands.
BIS, at you everything is good, you precisely remember than these were engaged 15 years?)))
Let's play for one month, "Mars" ))) I Joke. It is good that now summer,  there is no wish to play in the summer))).

Everything you're pointing to is down to peoples hardware, if it was slely down to the game engine, then everyone, as I said, would be suffering the same issues.

Lots of reasons why there's frame rate drops.

Drivers not up to date.. hardware issue

GPU's not meeting specs..hardware issue

RAM not meeting specs..hardware issue

Bottlenecks in CPU's... hardware issue

it's all to easy to lay blame on the game, instead of looking to make sure you're hardware is up to scratch, that's the point I was trying to make, as well as Lex_1. 

The problem is that people want to push their  game stats to the max, and expect it to run smoother than a galaxy chocolate bar, when they might not have the hardware to run it as such, add to this they'll read about tweaks here and there, and dive right in, without knowing of any consequences that would effect gameplay/performance. 

The fact that not everyone is suffering the same issues, would tend to lean towards hardware issues, rather than the game itself. To also add, I notice that this seems to effect guys using SSD's more so than the HDD's.

Sorry, but no it is not.

All my drivers and my OS are up to date. Well maybe it is my off brand GfX card that is not so common... Ah wait its an Gtx 980....

After 30 minutes max the game becomes unplayable. And it is not an "FPS-drop" yes the felt fps drops to like 2 but also all Objects are only to be seen from like 10m away, if at all. Wheels become hexagonal, bodies blocky and the vehicle models are looking like made of lego. And this happens in single player as well as in multi player. Modded or not, same result. Sometimes it recovers, sometimes it does not. If it recovers I am merely minutes away from a fault message, closing the game, stating that DX11 ran out of memory on texture creation. The exact wording I found on  a thread from two years ago...

So if it WERE a mere fps drop I might agree with you, but it is not. This has screwed up my ArmA 3 experience royally.

The I&A server I play on has a lot of people having the same problem. Maybe they all have faulty drivers from two years ago? I don't. Good for you that it does not affect you, I am glad all works fine. Still this needs to be resolved, as it appears to affect quite a part of the forum population judging by the amount of posts in this thread in relation to others in this very subforum. This thread has 20k views, whereas the others on the front page have like around 300 and the second most visited one with 11k is a memory one. I am sorry, but this cannot be chalked up to people not updating their GFX drivers.

I cannot even finish the campaign because of this, having picked up ArmA 3 only recently. Saving seems to come to no end when the bug appears and I cannot be bothered to save every 30s. Multiplayer is also ruined as certain tasks like flying people around cannot be done properly when you always jeopardize the crew you are ferrying around. Major annoying thing, that  goes on for two years, makes me regret buying the APEX bundle.

I can confirm the problem is still around, I send the crash report to razazel as a pm because he asked for it somewhere on page 1 (I think it was page 1)

He told me the feedback-tracker https://feedback.bistudio.com/ is back online for some time so I should report it there next time.

There is already some reports about that, e.g.

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T119376

https://feedback.bistudio.com/T119375

I'll send something to the feedback-tracker later that day aswell.

For me the problem started some updates (Arma3) ago - unfortunately I can't really say which one.

Sorry, but no it is not.

All my drivers and my OS are up to date. Well maybe it is my off brand GfX card that is not so common... Ah wait its an Gtx 980....

After 30 minutes max the game becomes unplayable. And it is not an "FPS-drop" yes the felt fps drops to like 2 but also all Objects are only to be seen from like 10m away, if at all. Wheels become hexagonal, bodies blocky and the vehicle models are looking like made of lego. And this happens in single player as well as in multi player. Modded or not, same result. Sometimes it recovers, sometimes it does not. If it recovers I am merely minutes away from a fault message, closing the game, stating that DX11 ran out of memory on texture creation. The exact wording I found on  a thread from two years ago...

So if it WERE a mere fps drop I might agree with you, but it is not. This has screwed up my ArmA 3 experience royally.

The I&A server I play on has a lot of people having the same problem. Maybe they all have faulty drivers from two years ago? I don't. Good for you that it does not affect you, I am glad all works fine. Still this needs to be resolved, as it appears to affect quite a part of the forum population judging by the amount of posts in this thread in relation to others in this very subforum. This thread has 20k views, whereas the others on the front page have like around 300 and the second most visited one with 11k is a memory one. I am sorry, but this cannot be chalked up to people not updating their GFX drivers.

I cannot even finish the campaign because of this, having picked up ArmA 3 only recently. Saving seems to come to no end when the bug appears and I cannot be bothered to save every 30s. Multiplayer is also ruined as certain tasks like flying people around cannot be done properly when you always jeopardize the crew you are ferrying around. Major annoying thing, that  goes on for two years, makes me regret buying the APEX bundle.

There's other hardware possibilities that are causing this, not just graphics drivers.

I can't figure out that if it's a game issue, of which we've all downloaded the same game, same updates, only some people have this issue, what makes the games contents and the playability drop to such low FPS/Freezes, if there's an error in the game code, wouldn't everyone have that same error? Hence why I'm leaning more to it being a hardware issue, which if you think about it, logically makes sense, as already said, it's the same software master copy everyone is using.

Also there's is a possibility that there's even a particular addon that's causing this, as you say yeah good for me I don't get this error, but it's good for the majority of the community too, because rest assured, BIS would have a massive backlash on their hands if every single person had this error. For me, there has to be a common denominator for anything in life that causes "errors/problems" and to be able to troubleshoot these issues, you have to start isolating them one by one.

One guy had this issue, it was down to his CPU overheating, how many other people are possibly having this issue, with overclocked CPU's? How many would admit to actually having overclocked CPU's?

For everyone having this issue, I really feel for you, and I hope that you get it resolved one way or the other.

Are you also running an SSD?

Could be million things.

Could be software bug caused by certain hardware for example people with certain motherboards maybe certain audio chip causing some kind of bug with the game engine.

Maybe it's HDD failure but people claim to have this with SSDs. I doubt this will get fixed anytime soon considering BIS isn't a workhouse and companies of much higher caliber have problems hunting down bugs and determining the cause and solution so don't hold your hopes up

My stability problems with Arma:

1. Rarely but sometimes the game minimizes as if video driver had crashed when it hadn't with no way to tab back into the game. Game still runs, sound works and captures all user input but all I see is desktop at that point. The only way to fix it is to kill the arma process and restart the game. Been having this since Arma 2 maybe even Arma 1 can't remember. Only happens with RV games for me.

2. Referenced memory address could not be accessed CTD we all know and hate which was introduced a while ago. Funny how you can still get memory crashes with OFP if you set view distance or terrain quality too high lol

3. BattleEye and Steam kicks we all hate. Because Anti-cheat software, DRM and Steam are cancer to gaming:

• Anti-Cheat software was always useless junk since online gaming became a thing. It impacts performance, does stupid nazi things and doesn't prevent hackers (admin or vote ban are the only solutions that work 100% of the time). Punk-buster is shit too, they all are. Same side effects like aggressive anti-virus.
  • DRM? Need I say more useless junk to the user made only for corporate reasons. And what's the purpose of DRM anyway? Games still get pirated and cracked copies usually can't join normal CD key servers only LAN hackarounds like Hamachi etc.
  • Steam sucks. Waited 2 years before I bought Arma 3 hoping it would go non-Steam on GOG or something like that but it never did. I play games and I don't need some DRM bloatware running in the background. Digital distribution can happen without Steam, without DRM. That being said Arma: Cold War Assault launches without Steam so it might be possible to make Arma 3 DRM free but still use Steam for distribution and updating.

4. And now finally these memory leaks or whatever this 2FPS bug is.

All being said I feel like it will only get worse with Arma 4 if they continue to use same codebase. The project is becoming unmaintainable with million hackarounds to get around the hard limitations. WIth every update and new feature introduced there will be dozen more regressions. There's simply not enough manpower at Bohemia to tackle on these insane ammount of issues to maintain the code. As BIS said themselves they are not a workhouse. BIS mentioned that Apex Protocol has no singleplayer mode like Harvest Red did cause it would be too much code to maintain for them. You can tell they have their hands full.

A good example of this is xorg display server used on Linux desktops. The project is so ancient and has been constantly worked on to fit the modern standards. What was it 20 years of development now? More? They introduced million hackarounds and the code has become unmaintainable bloatware and still has severe limitations for desktop usage. That's why people can't wait to ditch xorg for new Wayland or possibly Mir compositors/display servers.

• Like 3

Same issue experienced last night for me ! After about 30 mins or so the game just slows to 3fps, it unfroze for about a minute then did the same and it never recovered.

This is worrying especially those of us who play extended missions with no revive !

Ok, one thing I have noticed that although no longer in RC the game still shows as RC ?? But when I run it for the second time it appears to then lose the rc banner, is that relevant? And how do I now lose the rc marker as I'm on main branch and no options in beta are selected.

I played MP mission on internet server after Apex release and had an FPS drop to almost 2 fps. It append just once and I was able to restore fps by ALT-TAB to windows desktop and back to game. 

Yeah, that works for me too - but only once. The game runs fine for a while after ALT-TABing, but then crashes back to 1-3 fps and never recovers, no matter what I do.

Just had this 2 fps thing happen to me this evening. wow!  Sent the report onward.

I run vanilla on an SSD. Very jarring on my decent system.

Exit code:           0x00000001 - UNABLE_TO_INIT_DXGI

-I've been experiencing this same issue while using the APEX preview build and now the current active apex launch build.

-Interesting enough I only experience this problem while hosting multiplayer serves on my rig, and also only on one specific mission so far. (although to be honest besides the apex campaign missions I've only played about 2 extra workshop missions)

-Most of the time when this happens I either have to force exit arma 3, or it CTD's with a "0xC0000005 - ACCESS_VIOLATION" error message.

-Although yesterday I was hosting again, and playing the same mission with people that seems to aggravates this issue for me, and it actually recovered after about 3 minutes of experiencing it while I was Alt-tabbing looking for a solution.

-It did recur again 25 or so minutes later and CTD' with the Access Violation error. 

-As like most of the people in this thread I am running with up to date drivers. 

Just to add my hardware issue to help nail this down:

-Arma 3 is installed on a standard 7200 HDD

-Win 10 

-Nvidia GTX 980

-16GB RAM

-Intel i7- 5960X (8@3.00 (16 Log.))

nothing peaks while this issue is happening in Task Manager, not even the drive IIRC.