k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

2 years is passed,same problems,such wow.Well i spent 35 euros for testing bugs,because bush can stop bullet,fence too,ecc.ecc. this game should be called "Bug simulator i steal your money trlololol"

I spent more than 500 hours on this forced to play shitty mod cuz of low fps in other missions,servers.Thanks 

First of all two 780 or 980 is way overkill for ARMA3 . You should start by upgrading to Skylake and new MOBO. I don't how many times I stressed this before but buying expensive cards for arma is a waste of money. Of course if you intend to play other games it's fine.

But remember that your CPU is not strong enough to run 2 .GTX980-Ti. You most will most certainly have  a bottleneck issue.

Luckily that I never upgraded for ARMA-3 in the past.

A CPU + MoBo - Upgrade would most likely help, but as the fps-amount is getting lower and lower over the time, you are investing even more money only to try to stay on an fps-amount from ~6-9 month ago, which is really unbelievable.

One day we have to play on the lowest settings just to be able to get 25-30fps, if we are unable to keep upgrading our PC's regularly. 

:(

Hello, I have been searching for a fix to go back to when my game was running at its best, i would just like to know if arma 3 has had any updates in the pass 3 days because 4 days ago i was running 60fps on ultra high settings and now im running less then 10fps when no settings or anything has changed to the game this is all gametypes online and campaign its the same FPS on any game type or mode. These are my specs below.

MSI Z97MX-Gaming 5
Processor Intel® Core i5-4690K CPU @ 3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
NVIDIA GeForce GTX970
8GB RAM

IF some one can explain if any thing has changed in game in Arma 3 in the pass 3-4 days please can you help me.
Thank you in advance :)

Dear Bohemia Interactive....
I'm really tired of the bugs in this game, i never seen slower support in my history. Most gamebraking bugs are reported since 2 years and ARE NOT FIXED. You told me its not easy and it require more people to fix - Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems you have enough people to work on DLC's and other NEW FEATURES, so if they will stop work on new features and start FIXING the game, it will be 100, or 1000 % better choice, i think all players here agree with me.

One is PhysX - flying tanks - totally unacceptable after so long time after release! All companies, even EA correct bug like this on first place....

Second is Tank reversing - "fixed" in 10 %.... (look at feedback tracker - some guy, or girl report this before me) - AI still rotate tanks instead driving reverse in MOST CASES in cities or in cover. And optimalisation - that the thing - optimalisation should be work all the time in the bacground of other fixes, and it seems to be left in 2013. Now your workers work on Tanoa with smile in their faces, beacuse they know how it gonna finish - "damm turkeys! He shooted me in the face! Where the hell is he!"...... That how it will be looks like - Ai shooting through bushes, and player traiing to find him with 10 FPS and ogly vegetation rendered on first 2 LOD..... (beacuse of framerate).

Problem is the game dont use fully potential of CPU. I tried EVERY SINGLE OPTION, ADDON, TRICK, PARAMETER, TWEAK, OVERCLOCKING, SYSTEM CHANGES TO OPTIMALISE, and nothing seems to work with lot of ai (not really lot - just same much as in real attack defend missions, not quiet operations - its named SIMULATION - right?). AI is on CPU, ok, but they are taking almost whole CPU, right bahind the objects and textures. But where in this all is RAM???????? People have 8, 16 and more and game uses 1,5gb  MAX, even with start parameter -maxmem=8000.

Now GPU. Its not more than 30-40% of usage, BIS, please fix it.

My suggestion is :
- Force Objects, and textures render on RAM and (Less!) on CPU
- Force AI patchfinding only for CPU or only for RAM (if for RAM, please exclude ram from the line above). Let AI be on one one component.
- Force game engine to fully use all cores of CPU. (NO 1 Priority for all people involved in Arma 3 developing)
- Then fix major issues reported for so long, all feature request put on second plan.

Please tell me, is this so hard? Organize the work is first thing before working, i showed you how to do this, believe me, all games made by this strategy works best on any PC. Instead of making mad beacuse of my post, start thinking that i can have right.

All games runs fine on my PC, so its not its fault:

i5, 4690 4 x 3,5 Ghz (3,9 in turbo which i use in arma)
2 GB VRAM gigabyte Radeon R9 270oc
8GB RAM HyperX (2x4GB in dual mode) 1600MHz
1 TB HDD 7200 rpm Western Digital (please save your time game will be runing better on SSD - i tried and i gain 4 FPS max)

But where in this all is RAM???????? People have 8, 16 and more and game uses 1,5gb  MAX, even with start parameter -maxmem=8000.

Now GPU. Its not more than 30-40% of usage, BIS, please fix it.

I've seen 3GB of RAM usage in MP. Of course it could use more but the game uses more than 1,5GB.

GPU can't work fully because it can't push rendering through the CPU because CPU is bottlenecked because of the engine not utilizing more CPU cores/threads.

• Like 1

I've seen 3GB of RAM usage in MP. Of course it could use more but the game uses more than 1,5GB.

GPU can't work fully because it can't push rendering through the CPU because CPU is bottlenecked because of the engine not utilizing more CPU cores/threads.

Like i writed, i never had more RAM memory usage than 1,5 gb. NEVER. After all i tried.  About CPU - i know, and that why i bother. GPU should take on its shoulders more things like Anisotopy (its CPU in default, but i know a trick how to force it on GPU), Particle effects (It really can slow the game down), SHADOWS,  and clouds, that must be fixed after two years - what they can do more than fixing it?).

Dear Bohemia Interactive....

They probably wont fix it. Why? Because they dont have to. People are still playing and accepting this horrible state of the game because it's been like this from the start.

I laugh out loud every time i see a post on facebook/youtube/whatever implying that this game not at all runs terrbible and that your computer sucks or that the mission is poorly optimized (which in some cases can be true, but mostly not).

• Like 1

Like i writed, i never had more RAM memory usage than 1,5 gb. NEVER. After all i tried.  About CPU - i know, and that why i bother. GPU should take on its shoulders more things like Anisotopy (its CPU in default, but i know a trick how to force it on GPU), Particle effects (It really can slow the game down), SHADOWS,  and clouds, that must be fixed after two years - what they can do more than fixing it?).

Thats because you only checked in Windows Task Manager. BIS uses a hack to get access to more RAM (32-bit program only has access to 2 gigabytes).

I've seen 4 gigs used in singleplayer ( on top of the 1.5 gigs Windows uses). Launch MSI Afterburner and monitor RAM usage.

Thats because you only checked in Windows Task Manager. BIS uses a hack to get access to more RAM (32-bit program only has access to 2 gigabytes).

I've seen 4 gigs used in singleplayer ( on top of the 1.5 gigs Windows uses). Launch MSI Afterburner and monitor RAM usage.

Max ram usage in MSI afterburner 1,8 GB - game fps under 20. -maxmem=5000. So?

But seriously, who cares about the RAM? It's obviously the utalization of the cores/cpu that is lacking..

This thread is now 200 pages.. Sigh.

But seriously, who cares about the RAM? It's obviously the utalization of the cores/cpu that is lacking..

This thread is now 200 pages.. Sigh.

Very silly question. What is wrong to get more sources depend on RAM? It will have same resoult.  Ram is almost unused, THATS WHY I CARE ABOUT RAM.

Very silly question. What is wrong to get more sources depend on RAM? It will have same resoult.  Ram is almost unused, THATS WHY I CARE ABOUT RAM.

The main problem here is not the RAM usage, it's the cpu usage imo. Surely they both need fixes, but the problem with cpu utilization i would say impact the performance more than the RAM problem.

• Like 1

You can't have the whole island and all the assets in RAM so more RAM used doesn't solve anything, the game will have to stream from HDD eventually. And that only affects hitching. Not the overall performance.

When I play, I use Client, Server and HC. To get decent performance. But...Arma uses up 7 gigs of RAM and starts chugging cause it writes 2 gigs or so to pagefile as well.

It never uses my 8 gigs, seems to be a limit at 7 or it's the hack that goes around it.

Just Client + Server uses 5.5 - 6 gigs total (including whatever Windows uses).

The problems with the engine are numerous and have been pointed out numerous times.

they can't fix the problem,it's strange how they keep using the same engine for Arma,arma 2 had the same problems and now arma 3 too,hopefully there are some servers where i can reach 50+ fps with ultra settings like WS,Exile,and others.Like i said 2 years is passed and no improvements was done.Congrats BI 

A true fix here is,.. Vulkan, to help spread the resources out correctly, its not out yet thought, unfortunately.  (Notice I didn't mention DX12, this is because I actually want Linux support to continue :) )

• Like 1

You can't have the whole island and all the assets in RAM so more RAM used doesn't solve anything, the game will have to stream from HDD eventually. And that only affects hitching. Not the overall performance.

When I play, I use Client, Server and HC. To get decent performance. But...Arma uses up 7 gigs of RAM and starts chugging cause it writes 2 gigs or so to pagefile as well.

It never uses my 8 gigs, seems to be a limit at 7 or it's the hack that goes around it.

Just Client + Server uses 5.5 - 6 gigs total (including whatever Windows uses).

The problems with the engine are numerous and have been pointed out numerous times.

Read MY POST AGAIN. I didnt writed they should force all on RAM. I just writed they could give more sources to RAM and GPU. AI is one of most CPU eater, next are textures/objects. They should split it better, CPU utilisation is something what i called NO.1 , please read my posts before such commenting.

they can't fix the problem,it's strange how they keep using the same engine for Arma,arma 2 had the same problems and now arma 3 too,hopefully there are some servers where i can reach 50+ fps with ultra settings like WS,Exile,and others.Like i said 2 years is passed and no improvements was done.Congrats BI 

Its beacuse budget - they created their own engine to safe the money, now they can employ more workers and... buy a tank :/

Its beacuse budget - they created their own engine to safe the money, now they can employ more workers and... buy a tank :/

wait wait wait...are you telling me that devs are so dumb that can't fix theyr own engine?wow.And tell me if i'm wrong but any devs speak about this problem in this 2 years?hmmm

• Like 1

Read MY POST AGAIN. I didnt writed they should force all on RAM. I just writed they could give more sources to RAM and GPU. AI is one of most CPU eater, next are textures/objects. They should split it better, CPU utilisation is something what i called NO.1 , please read my posts before such commenting.

Yes but you are asking for the impossible. RAM can't process shit. Even when you load textures to memory, CPU is involved in facilitating that.

They could free up more resources from CPU so GPU wasn't bottlenecked all the time but that could mean simplifying the simulation and AI.

But if they could they would have done that in OFP, a game that STILL don't run at stable 60 fps with current hardware (that's how bad it is).

I think the problem is the engine designers and coders. They don't know what they are doing. Ex-Mafia and Hidden & Dangerous devs in the studio too, those games are notorious for running poorly. If you played those games at launch, you would know exactly how poor they run.

At this point I feel it's like asking the Lada manufacturer to make a Ferrari. Ain't gonna happen.

Apologies for the late response but I guess there is something up with either the config of your machine or arma3 if you're not using ram.

On single player I regularly see over 5gb total ram usage in afterburner, cpu cores are all working (about 80/50/40/40 % split) and gpu around 75% load.  I have high/very high settings and 2250/2250 view distances.

My page file is set to 800mb and is barely used, when I had 8gb windows would occasionally flag up a low memory message when it went over 6gb usage, now I have 16gb it never happens.

Yes but you are asking for the impossible. RAM can't process shit. Even when you load textures to memory, CPU is involved in facilitating that.

They could free up more resources from CPU so GPU wasn't bottlenecked all the time but that could mean simplifying the simulation and AI.

But if they could they would have done that in OFP, a game that STILL don't run at stable 60 fps with current hardware (that's how bad it is).

I think the problem is the engine designers and coders. They don't know what they are doing. Ex-Mafia and Hidden & Dangerous devs in the studio too, those games are notorious for running poorly. If you played those games at launch, you would know exactly how poor they run.

At this point I feel it's like asking the Lada manufacturer to make a Ferrari. Ain't gonna happen.

.... and we have to play unfinished game till Arma 4 comes up....

Well, i wanted arma in new engine. Big islant, high view distance, and alot of AI. There is a game with brand new engine, from major company with island and ai simillar to arma. Epics Unreal 4 engine, game is Ark survival Evolved.

And you know what, it lags more than ARMA 3 !!!!

But it is GPU bond, and can adress alot of ram....

All in all, i think we will enjoy ARMA with i7 cannonlake, overclocked to 5+ Ghz, so just 2 more years :D

My system i5 4690,

GTX 970

16GB

Ugh...this was a problem for the entirety of ArmA 2...I seriously hope it is not an issue in ArmA 3 as well.

well my cpu on arma 2 goes to like 97% when i drive and it fucking thorttles and then i get a lag spike and get more or lower fps its rlly retarded and my cpu isnt trothling srry for my english its liek 60% 

O had overclocked CPU by default when i installed AI suite 3 (for fan control)  and now when i fresh reinstalled whole PC only with drivers and updates (no OC programs) game runs smooth as butter.