k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

This post has been here for 2 years and still hasnt been fixed??? Geez i dont know what to do. My cpu isnt bottlenecking, its my gpu.

Alternatively, try the DEV branch (1.47).

I too found that A3 had become unplayable after the 1.46 patch (crashed everytime after 5-30 mins) but now its runs fine!

Fingers crossed that BIS finds the issue for 1.48...

That's good news. What is sad news, is that it's taking too long to release it. And FYI: the new beta NVidia drivers (353.38) do not cure the crashing bug.

You should forget ANY ArmA with AMD CPU. The game rely almost only on one CPU core performance.

Just an example: Intel CPU 2 core vs. AMD CPU 8 core:

How would this game take a i3-4160?

its dual core, but its got 2 threads per core vs the Pentium G3258 in that video with 1 thread per core as a dual core.

its dual core, but its got 2 threads per core vs the Pentium G3258 in that video with 1 thread per core as a dual core.

Threads per core is of no importance when it comes to gaming. An i5 would be a better choice if you can afford it.

Tests shows, an i3 close to an overclocked pentium G in ArmA 3 which is still slow for me, maybe its enough for you.

the i3 is excellent bang for buck on a low end build.

look at the game comparisons.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1197?vs=288

Yesterday my msi gtx 980 ti gaming g6 arrived. Tested it today on arma. Not a single fps more :D

Before that i had a msi gtx 970 :D

Luckly i buyed that card not for arma :D

Yesterday my msi gtx 980 ti gaming g6 arrived. Tested it today on arma. Not a single fps more :D

Before that i had a msi gtx 970 :D

Well I guess the expections were met this time :p

Well years have past and still I see no performance increase :(

I am running a dedi server and the server never drops below 45fps

I was doing a mission and I was hiding in a building if I looked away from the town I was getting a solid 40fps

If I looked in the centre of town my FPS would drop to 20fps the funny thing here is I was not looking through any windows so realy the game should not be rendering out side of the house so I assume there is no occlusion culling going on in arma3 :(

Please BIS give us some optimization please :(

Well years have past and still I see no performance increase :(

I am running a dedi server and the server never drops below 45fps

I was doing a mission and I was hiding in a building if I looked away from the town I was getting a solid 40fps

If I looked in the centre of town my FPS would drop to 20fps the funny thing here is I was not looking through any windows so realy the game should not be rendering out side of the house so I assume there is no occlusion culling going on in arma3 :(

Please BIS give us some optimization please :(

I feel your pain but let's be realistic nothing will happen. Maybe we get lower FPS , yes that might actually happen.

LOL I dont think its "might" get lower FPS

I think it will just get lower and lower.

They aint doing nothing to increase perfomance just like ARMA2 they said they could not fix it due to engine limitations and now they bring out arma 3 on same bloody engine practicaly but with same limitations LOL.

Where was this optimization blog we was promised I realy think we should create a partition its the most voted issue on tracker and on this forum and still nothing not one bloody word on what they are doing :(

... so I assume there is no occlusion culling going on in arma3 :(

Actually there is. In fact, it was painfully obvious at one point (around a year ago, maybe?), when objects occasionally disappeared right before your eyes, because the occlusion culling was too aggressive.

Had some friends with kind of medium computers, they wanted to buy the game but I couldn't recommend it because of the bad performance. Unfortunately BI lost many many customers thanks to this.

Had some friends with kind of medium computers, they wanted to buy the game but I couldn't recommend it because of the bad performance. Unfortunately BI lost many many customers thanks to this.

Keep in mind this - low MP performance isn't BIS' fault only. It has a lot to do with the kind of mission you're playing, the server that it's hosted on, etc.

This case isn't that simple. We've got more suspects than one ;)

But at the same time there not really making it good on them self they openly admited to not being able to fix the poor utilization of arma2 due to limitations of the engine now they do the same thing in arma 3 :(.

But worse of all they completly ignore this thread or deliver empty promises etc they cant and wont fix this.

Lets just hope arma 4 :P aint on same crippled engine.

Keep in mind this - low MP performance isn't BIS' fault only. It has a lot to do with the kind of mission you're playing, the server that it's hosted on, etc.

This case isn't that simple. We've got more suspects than one ;)

I don' even play MP so I'm just talking SP performance... Put 20 vs 20 in a city with tanks and helicopters and tell me if you enjoy the fight..? But hey I don't want to play with less than 45 FPS maybe I should "lower" my expectations right?

Lets just hope arma 4 :P aint on same crippled engine.

Why does people talk about Arma 4 ? BI didn't announce it and if I remember correctly they plan to move on with other games in the future.. Wish thinking maybe?

As I've seen from all forum threads, there is no "official" response on the low fps in multiplayer from BI.  It is my belief that no one ever reaches a constant fps above 40 and its usually well below that even for people with massive power rigs.  I believe it also depends on the map and the mission and the server. For instance the very popular king of the hill servers with 100 max players, everyone is running around in the mid 20's with a max of 30fps and they still somehow find it enjoyable even though at times during heavy player/vehicle activity the game goes frame by frame. Watch twitch.tv sometime and see for yourself. 

I've had good mp experiences on wasteland stratis in large player servers that were run by the same people running the koth servers. And I've had good fps in mods such as breaking point on altis. There is no definitive answer probably due to all the variables involved.  One thing is for sure, Arma has been and will always be a low fps experience compared to all other multiplayer games despite how ever much money you throw at your system specs. 

On a side note, I'd like to see someone at BI make a video on altis with 100 players showing a lot of players and vehicles and explosions going off all with over 40 fps. Guaranteed it will never happen. In fact, I challenge anyone to do this. At this point in time it seems like an impossibility 

@sunnydips: Somewhere out there is an article or interview with DnA (project lead) admitting that they weren't even aiming for 100+ players anymore... although Dwarden is, but then again dude never stops trying.

Why does people talk about Arma 4 ? BI didn't announce it and if I remember correctly they plan to move on with other games in the future.. Wish thinking maybe?

Pretty much; Bohemia's consistently refused to say anything about the future of Arma past the Expansion, although declaring that DayZ is on a very early version of the future Bohemia multiplatform engine... I guess because it can trace its ancestry for the engine used on their sole Xbox 360 release (Carrier Command: Gaea Mission) and on Take On Mars; for modding/content development purposes the latter looks interesting, but who knows what that means for how it'd actually perform once subjected to the demands (i.e. player count, object count, foliage density, PhysX and other simulation, even bullets flying) that Arma 3 is already stressed by.

@sunnydips: Somewhere out there is an article or interview with DnA (project lead) admitting that they weren't even aiming for 100+ players anymore... although Dwarden is, but then again dude never stops trying.

Yeah, he's really pushing the limits with the CHIMERA servers: link

EU maximum of players increased to 132

US maximum of players increased to 144

to see where is new threshold

B)

I thought after I swapped my 2x GTX780-Ti-GHz-Edition-3GB (under Water) with 2x GTX980-Ti-OC-STRIX-6GB (not under water yet), that I would come back and have a fast bench of the game and had big hopes, because I didn't touch the game for quite some time, but here are the depressing numbers:

Dev-Build v1.53.132245

Stratis:

Low: 87fps
Standard: 71fps
High: 54fps
Very High: 43fps
Ultra: 35fps

My Rig, except the GPU's: Click

My GPU's think, that I'm still in 2D-Mode when doing then Benchmarks, because they don't even enter the Boost-State, not that they would need the Boost.

:huh:

tonschuh: sorry to hear that you're disappointed but honestly it's not surprising as A3 performance is mainly about the CPU:

http://www.techspot.com/review/712-arma-3-benchmarks/

This article is 2 years old now but the underlying architechture has not changed.

So SLI is pretty much a waste of money, i.e. you're better off investing in the latest and fastest CPU and overclocking the nuts of it:

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/940-15/cpu-jeux-3d-crysis-3-arma-iii.html

Basically a single 980 or even if a 970 will deliver good performance (60+ fps) at 1080p at Very High or even Ultra settings but only if the CPU is running at 4+ GHz.

• Like 1

I thought after I swapped my 2x GTX780-Ti-GHz-Edition-3GB (under Water) with 2x GTX980-Ti-OC-STRIX-6GB (not under water yet), that I would come back and have a fast bench of the game and had big hopes, because I didn't touch the game for quite some time, but here are the depressing numbers:

Dev-Build v1.53.132245

Stratis:

My GPU's think, that I'm still in 2D-Mode when doing then Benchmarks, because they don't even enter the Boost-State, not that they would need the Boost.

Your 2x780Tis were already overkill unless you're playing on very high resolutions. Even singe GTX970 can handle this game in 95% of the cases without it beign the bottleneck of under 60fps. Only some high density vegetations and high AA and 3D resolution can bring it down. With those cards you likely can push those things up to the max wihtout your cards beign bottlenecks of under 60fps at any point.

• Like 1

tonschuh: sorry to hear that you're disappointed but honestly it's not surprising as A3 performance is mainly about the CPU:

http://www.techspot.com/review/712-arma-3-benchmarks/

This article is 2 years old now but the underlying architechture has not changed.

So SLI is pretty much a waste of money, i.e. you're better off investing in the latest and fastest CPU and overclocking the nuts of it:

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/940-15/cpu-jeux-3d-crysis-3-arma-iii.html

Basically a single 980 or even if a 970 will deliver good performance (60+ fps) at 1080p at Very High or even Ultra settings but only if the CPU is running at 4+ GHz.

Your 2x780Tis were already overkill unless you're playing on very high resolutions. Even singe GTX970 can handle this game in 95% of the cases without it beign the bottleneck of under 60fps. Only some high density vegetations and high AA and 3D resolution can bring it down. With those cards you likely can push those things up to the max wihtout your cards beign bottlenecks of under 60fps at any point.

I may upgrade my MoBo + CPU after I got a better screen.

The sad thing is, that the fps went further down, since I had a look into it last time:

Latest Benchmark-Results (GeForce v337.88 | Dev.-Build: v1.21.124.861):

Tools used: MSI-Afterburner v3.0.1 Beta | HWiNFO64 v4.39-2220 Beta

Low + Disabled:
===============

Stratis = 135fps

CPU-Load: max = 88.6% | 36.9% | 55.7% | 78.7% | 46.7% | 78.6% | 61.1% | 86.9%

GPU(s)-Load: ~50-55%

Altis = 107fps

CPU-Load: max = 86.9% | 32.1% | 53.6% | 73.5% | 56.1% | 40.5% | 68.8% | 37.4%

GPU(s)-Load: ~45-50%

Low:
====

Stratis = 116fps

CPU-Load: max = 86.4% | 65.1% | 51.5% | 52.4% | 49.1% | 32.0% | 71.2% | 37.1%

GPU(s)-Load: ~50-55%

Altis = 99fps

CPU-Load: max = 89.3% | 44.9% | 55.2% | 44.7% | 47.5% | 34.2% | 60.3% | 42.0% 

GPU(s)-Load: ~45-55% 

Standard:
=========

Stratis = 86fps

CPU-Load: max = 84.4% | 50.9% | 67.3% | 50.4% | 53.1% | 44.5% | 52.4% | 45.7%

GPU(s)-Load: ~50-60%

Altis = 76fps

CPU-Load: max = 81.4% | 43.4% | 54.4% | 44.0% | 90.8% | 35.9% | 64.4% | 42.0% 

GPU(s)-Load: ~45-55%

High:
=====

Stratis = 64fps 

CPU-Load: max = 80.8% | 41.3% | 53.1% | 70.0% | 45.4% | 38.8% | 68.2% | 37.4%

GPU(s)-Load: ~60-70%

Altis = 61fps

CPU-Load: max = 81.3% | 32.8% | 80.0% | 32.5% | 44.2% | 43.3% | 89.9% | 40.3%

GPU(s)-Load: ~50-70%

Very-High:
==========

Stratis = 50fps

CPU-Load: max = 80.4% | 37.8% | 52.0% | 40.1% | 72.5% | 41.9% | 48.6% | 67.5%

GPU(s)-Load: ~60-70% 

Altis = 46fps

CPU-Load: max = 89.5% | 38.4% | 63.8% | 63.5% | 47.0% | 35.4% | 82.7% | 45.1%

GPU(s)-Load: ~50-70%

Ultra:
======

Stratis = 39fps

CPU-Load: max = 79.3% | 37.4% | 54.5% | 44.9% | 47.9% | 36.3% | 94.0% | 41.7%

GPU(s)-Load: ~50-80%

Altis = 37fps

CPU-Load: max = 82.1% | 56.8% | 51.8% | 41.7% | 91.4% | 33.9% | 82.7% | 40.9%

GPU(s)-Load: ~40-75%

Maxed-Out:
==========

Stratis = 29fps

CPU-Load: max = 77.2% | 48.1% | 52.9% | 47.7% | 45.9% | 43.2% | 55.2% | 92.2%

GPU(s)-Load: ~40-70%

Altis = 13fps

CPU-Load: max = 79.4% | 35.6% | 66.2% | 75.5% | 41.2% | 36.8% | 78.9% | 33.0% 

GPU(s)-Load: ~35-65%

Arma-3 (Dev.-Build v1.25.126046)

Low / Disabled:

- Stratis = 154fps
- Altis = 126fps

Low:

- Stratis = 140fps
- Altis = 119fps

Standard:

- Stratis = 100fps
- Altis = 90fps

High:

- Stratis = 75fps
- Altis = 69fps

Very-High:

- Stratis = 56fps
- Altis = 52fps

Ultra:

- Stratis = 41fps
- Altis = 43fps

Maxed-out:

- Stratis = 33fps
- Altis = 17fps

Arma-3 (Dev.-Build v1.33.127551) 

- Windows 10 Pro WMC Technical Preview x64
- 3770k @4700MHz (Core-Parking disabled)
- 2x Gigabyte GTX780-Ti-GHz-Edition-3GB (BIOS: OCN-MOD | Power-Target: 116% | Voltage: 1.212V | Base / Boost: 1265 / 1265MHz | Memory: 7400MHz)
- GeForce v344.11 @1920x1080
- G.Skill 16G(4*4G) DDR3-2400 Quad Channel [TDX] F3-2400C10Q-16GTX (10-11-11-28-2T)
- Fred's MemAlloc

Lowest / Disabled:

- Stratis = 155fps
- Altis = 125fps

Low:

- Stratis = 114fps
- Altis = 99fps

Standard:

- Stratis = 85fps
- Altis = 76fps

High:

- Stratis = 60fps
- Altis = 58fps

Very-High:

- Stratis = 47fps
- Altis = 44fps

Ultra:

- Stratis = 39fps
- Altis = 36fps

Maxed-out:

- Stratis = 28fps
- Altis = 14fps

-cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 -maxMem=15359 -maxVram=3071 -noLogs -noSplash -malloc=tbbmalloc -enableHT
  • Like 1

Dev-Build v1.53.132245

Stratis:

First of all two 780 or 980 is way overkill for ARMA3 . You should start by upgrading to Skylake and new MOBO. I don't how many times I stressed this before but buying expensive cards for arma is a waste of money. Of course if you intend to play other games it's fine.

But remember that your CPU is not strong enough to run 2 .GTX980-Ti. You most will most certainly have  a bottleneck issue.

• Like 1