k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

if ur running on more than 4 threads(i7 with HT on or amd 6/8 core cpu) use the -enableHT parameter..arma only use 4 cores by default

Hey there everyone. I too was having low fps problems after buying a beast rig to mainly to play arma. I tryed everything short of taking a baseball bat to it after spending what i did. So i started to poke around with the settings, and it came down to this: Visibility: You want overall, objects set at 800 and shadows at 50. With everything on low and not turning down said settings i was at 20 fps 23 max...With everything on high i now get 35 fps 50 max. That doesnt sound like alot but when in fire fights and in towns that's a BIG jump. I hope that this helps whoever it can

I realize AMD cpu's perform very badly on Arma 3.

FX 8350

R9 280x OC Sapphire

16 gigs of ram

10-20 fps MP experience.

Apprently this is war should be revised to this is lag.

I know this game is awesome when running smooth.

But for me its not enjoyable.

I just dumped another few hundred bucks on switching to an intel i5 4690k with this same r9 280x.

If I do not see a performance upgrade tomorrow. I am done with this game.

And I've been playing since OFP demo.

Surely my previous accounts when I was younger were deleted due to me using curse words in my gripes and striking some e-feelings.

But I tell it how I see it.

I too have the FX8350 and 2 R9 290 vapor x For me all I had to do was go to visibility, overall objects turn them down to 800 and shadows down to 50 and went from your fps, to 35 50 in towns.

Good stuff man. Well I got the Intel in and new mother board and abracadabra Arma 3 is amazing.

My friend who also has an i5 4690k was getting under 30 fps online complaining all the time.

I told him to go into his power settings and switch it from "power saver or balanced" to "High Performance."

He did this while alt tabbed getting 20 fps, alt tabbed back in and his excited over teamspeak was hilarious to keep it short.

He's getting like 90 fps on mp.

:rotfl:

Hahahahaha, thanks, this one was great ^^

Tell him some people would love to see a recorded frametime diagnostic ^^

I told him to go into his power settings and switch it from "power saver or balanced" to "High Performance."

Where do i do this at?!

In your Systemsettings->System&Saftey->Energy Options

Funny how some humans think ^^ To think that you can fool the crappy Arma3 Engine to run better through changing Energy Options. Ridiculous.

[ To think that you can fool the crappy Arma3 Engine to run better through changing Energy Options.

1++++ but some funny systems with default energy options not notice that arma 3 was started .......and the funny thing is ..

it regulates down :lol:

:lol: the only game on the market who get stable 90fps wooohooo ^^

Not here just to complain (although a little complaining does feel good), I've got a tip I haven't seen elsewhere yet. First, my specs (it's an iMac but I dualboot Windows):

Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.4GHz (quad-core w/ hyperthreading, but cannot overclock)

32GB DDR3-1600 RAM

1TB Fusion Drive (SSD & regular hard drive)

GeForce GTX 680MX w/ 4GB

2560x1440 monitor

The tip I have is to set texture sampling to 88% or 83% and then set the Sharpen Filter in post-processing to a much higher level. It's not really noticeable at 88% and is definitely acceptable at 83%, and it gives me better framerates. I figured if setting texture sampling above 100% (who can do that?!) raises CPU usage, setting it lower should do the opposite and give me some headroom for when I don't want to do missions as a lone wolf.

I did almost everything in the guides: enabling hyperthreading, disabling core parking, lowering view distance, etc. and still only got about 25 fps when AI on screen were 4 or fewer. With texture sampling at 88% and the sharpen filter around 125, I can get 30-35 with AI on screen.

I know a 1440p monitor is more graphics intensive, but my graphics card is solid. Sometimes I set it to 1080p and deal with blurriness or run in a window.

I don't recommend setting view distance really high and then objects to just 800 unless you're in a city or playing multiplayer (I hate multiplayer games). I usually set both to 2600 or put view distance on 3800 and objects on 2800, depending on what kind of day ARMA 3 is having.

[Here's the rant part I just have to type, but nobody needs to read. I'll be reasonable.]

It's incredibly frustrating to have eight usable cores when very few games use them. I was excited when I heard ARMA 3 did hyperthreading, but disappointed when I found out how poorly it does it. I'm not saying programming a game is easy, but I'm also not the one who decided to make a living off of it, nor am I the one who decided this game is done and ready to be sold. AI programming is difficult, sure, but if they saw how much of an impact AI had on performance, it seems like they should've either made the AI less intelligent (although it's already breathtakingly stupid) or put some sort of limit on how many AI could be in a scene or on the island. What's the point of a huge island if you can't even play with three fully-manned FOBs?

Anyway, I'm a helicopter/artillery kind of player, so I need high visibility and for the cockpit, effects, ground, and buildings to look good. It's not an easy balance.

lol are you people still giving each other "tricks" and "tips" to make this game run better?

I hear voodoo dolls and prayer work well.

if ur running on more than 4 threads(i7 with HT on or amd 6/8 core cpu) use the -enableHT parameter..arma only use 4 cores by default

This actually doesn't do anything for me. I get CPU usage only on 4 cores and absolutely zero usage on the other 4.

if you use an i7 use the enable ht. if amd use the -Cpucount 8

and disable core parking.

been using enableHT for months. Never made any difference in performance, or usage.

Me too.

the performance for this game has been one of the most frustrating things ever lol

I've had a lot of trouble trying to play the game in the last two weeks, setting power options in windows to high performance helps a lot Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options and setting on high, as well going into advanced and disabling everything that is related to 'stop working after...'

I've had a lot of trouble trying to play the game in the last two weeks, setting power options in windows to high performance helps a lot Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options and setting on high, as well going into advanced and disabling everything that is related to 'stop working after...'

I've went back and forth on those power settings. In the end it really didn't make any difference. The new patch is pretty cool, but very "bohemia'sih", as in new sounds and textures/features, but the lag, desync, FPS and server performance keeps getting worse. It's becoming an absolute joke. Keeps taking me 30 rounds to kill someone before they still teleport behind me and we both die. Everyone keeps complainging about the lag/desync (again).

This clearly isn't a MP game, which is a shame because it had great potential. I'm going to assume we will have lazer riffles, strip clubs and aliens in the game before we see another 5fps increase in MP.

Well, End Game is a good gamemode but the FPS is horrible. Can people now please stop saying it's the mission makers fault for low FPS?

I almost always test with bohemia made missions, using vanilla.

But, diverting blame is a popular tactic around these parts.

Here's to hoping DX12 (whenever they get around to it) gives enough of a boost to make the game playable *most* of the time. I suspect it will help a lot b/c it seems draw calls have been a big part of the problem. Taking that load of the main core, at the very least, should help to free it up for more jobs.

I wanted to give people an update on my experience with ArmA3 performance. In the past I've been posting here complaining about poor optimization and trying to find a way to increase FPS even on lowest of low settings due to poor CPU utilization. This was on my desktop PC which has the following specs:

GTX 570 Overclocked

Phenom II X4 @ 3.6GHz

12GB of DDR3 RAM

SSD

I now have a new laptop with the specs in my signature and the game performs FLAWLESSLY at maximum ultra graphics, rarely dipping below 50fps even in intense large scale battles. I think the largest improvement is switching to the fourth generation i7 from the old Phenom II processor in my desktop, but the more powerful 970M definitely helps too.

RECOMENDED SPECS:

CPU: Intel Core i5-2300, AMD Phenom II X4 940 or better

Memory: 4 GB de RAM

Grafic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560, AMD Radeon HD 7750 con 1 GB de VRAM or better

My specs:

CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 955@3,8

Memory: 8 GB de RAM

Grafic Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560ti

I know my cpu isnt very powerfull, but why they recomend it? playing END GAME multiplayer mode with fps drops to 14 its not fun.

I tried every tips in the tweak guides, but Kavala is unplayable.

I almost always test with bohemia made missions, using vanilla.

But, diverting blame is a popular tactic around these parts.

Here's to hoping DX12 (whenever they get around to it) gives enough of a boost to make the game playable *most* of the time. I suspect it will help a lot b/c it seems draw calls have been a big part of the problem. Taking that load of the main core, at the very least, should help to free it up for more jobs.

My desperate hope is that Arma 4 is on a new engine that is built for modern parallelized operations form the start. I have a six core i7 and GF GTX 780, neither is being stressed because so much is hung off of one monolithic pipeline.

Hey, i just upgraded my pc to new hardware.

Now ive got:

Intel Xeon e3-1241 v3

16gb ddr3 1333

2x GTX 670 in SLI

Arma 3 and steam installed on samsung 840 evo ssd

Singleplayer all fine, until 4500m viewdist (all settings high)

but on Servers, god damn. when will this end. its rolling around 15 and 25 fps, no matter what settings im using. i heard its the server limiting fps somehow.. is there a fix/haxx to bypass this fix? how does some people get more fps and some less on same server, by having nearly the same pc?

my pc i had before (1100T amd, gtx 670, 16gb ddr3 1333, arma 3 steam on ssd) had the same results on this server. but when i played on 3 monitor 1920x1080 it ramped up to like 45fps. so it wasnt really the server or the system. somehow the engine itself cracked its balls

There is quite a contrast between the usual avoidance, denial, etc that takes place here with regards to performance discussion, and the way the DayZ dev team discuss performance issues, and the short-comings of the engine.

Can't tell you the number of posts I've read of people defending sqf here.

Just read a "Status Report" on the DayZ site, that discusses how inadequate sqf really is:

My personal holy grail throughout the development of DayZ has, and will remain the server side performance. Much of what folks attribute to "lag" or "desync" can be traced back to poor server side performance. 85% of which comes from the performance heavy usage of SQF engine script for many gameplay systems. Mentioned in prior status reports, EnScript (the name for Enfusion's engine scripting language) is leaps and bounds ahead of the legacy SQF in terms of performance. This, the portion of the performance budget currently consumed by SQF usage is the largest roadblock between 50 player servers, and 100+ player servers. Moving the title completely away from legacy engine scripting tech, and onto the new engine scripting language for Enfusion is by no means a small task, and will be an ongoing goal for the team (and in my opinion 100% required for DayZ to reach 1.0)

None of this will probably end up meaning anything for A3, but the openness and honesty with which the DayZ team discusses such issues is appreciated... and a welcome change from the "status quo" on the Bohemia forums.