k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

...Even with crossfired 290's now I still hit 20 fps quite frequently in multi player....
LOL? for all newcomers and for you: gpu power helps nothing in arma3 :p. Changing from GTX570 to R9 290 gave me some average fps in small sp scenarios but nothing in ai-heavy missions and MP, especially in minimum fps. Nothing new.....i assume. Intel cpu + clockspeed + ramspeed + choosey behavior in the choice of mp-servers and you´re comparable happy with this game. But of course more fps are welcome BIS :cool:

I've noticed recently that selecting group members individually i.e. F1, F2 etc... drops my framerate quite alot. Selecting group members with space or tilde doesn't cause this problem, confusing.

LOL? for all newcomers and for you: gpu power helps nothing in arma3 :p. Changing from GTX570 to R9 290 gave me some average fps in small sp scenarios but nothing in ai-heavy missions and MP, especially in minimum fps. Nothing new.....i assume. Intel cpu + clockspeed + ramspeed + choosey behavior in the choice of mp-servers and you´re comparable happy with this game. But of course more fps are welcome BIS :cool:

*shrug* you basically just said to be "comparably happy with this game" you have to try for the the most optimal of circumstances. Ironically that's what most people complain about, the game running like crap under less than optimal circumstances when it really shouldn't. Again though you still have to lower your expectations and standards to accept it even under ideal circumstances.

Not sure if you actually realize you agree with me on principle even if the viewpoints are different.

sorry but thats all well known shit so you have the choice to eat it or to leave it or: to give tipps how to run the game a little bit better than shit :p....sry for my cryptic english

sorry but thats all well known shit so you have the choice to eat it or to leave it or: to give tipps how to run the game a little bit better than shit :p....sry for my cryptic english

It's not cryptic, it's just not acceptable. I mean you might like being told to eat shit or leave it as you so eloquently put it, but I'm pretty sure most don't.

There is nothing to do. The only way to change things is a competitor....the last "competitor" was....äh....Dragon Failing :p It seems to be no other company have the balls to create a similar game...seems to be not easy to make one....no competition have bad effects on products.

If you have a banana wich isn´t acceptabel for you. What do you do? Do you say to the banana: you are NOT acceptable 1000x? Or do you think it 1x and take another banana? BIS have obviously other priorities than me or you or can´t optimize the game with the current budget....whatever, I am not an expert in business economics or computer science...

Edited by JumpingHubert

There is nothing to do. The only way to change things is a competitor....the last "competitor" was....äh....Dragon Failing :p It seems to be no other company have the balls to create a similar game...seems to be not easy to make one....no competition have bad effects on products.

If you have a banana wich isn´t acceptabel for you. What do you do? Do you say to the banana: you are NOT acceptable 1000x? Or do you think it 1x and take another banana? BIS have obviously other priorities than me or you or can´t optimize the game with the current budget....whatever, I am not an expert in business economics or computer science...

Do I talk to an inanimate object expecting positive change? No. Do I talk to the people who design and develop said object expecting positive change? Yes.

As much as I want to say ArmA needs competition because it really does to light a proverbial fire under BI's asses, The majority of problems that we see now are because of choices 5+ years ago and the ramifications and repercussions of those choices. Doesn't excuse it, doesn't make it acceptable even if you choose to accept it because you have no other recourse.

Whether you personally choose to accept things the way that they are because you can't live with the alternative doesn't mean others aren't free to civilly speak their mind on the subject. If you don't like It I suggest you take some of your own flawed logic and stop speaking.

comparatively :yay:

Sometimes when I talk to you, yes it feels like I am ... truly .... talking to a banana.

Interesting video....just watch for thread usage....

Im not implying that DX12 would fix min fps (it will not).

Problem is they have one thread that is over used. I dont know how they internaly programed AI, rendering, and other jobs.

Good way would be if they have one thread for AI blue, 1 thread for AI op force, one thread for civ/animals, one thread for rendering (on main, and results form other threads on main).

Bad FPS is mainly from rendering (VD impact), and AI (AI count).

They will not have my money for this game, until they modify their engine to do efficient parallel coding (i hope with expansion).

Read an article the other day where they were asked about performance issues, and they pretty much did the stock response... deflect blame to everything other possibility, and list all the reasons/excuses why it isn't their fault, how it's difficult, etc, etc...

Basically, tried to minimize and dodge the issue, and then dangled the virtual carrot w/ something along the lines of "of course, it's not perfect, and we can try to improve it" (paraphrasing). That was pretty much as far as they ever go when discussing anything relating to shitty performance.

Typical, soft and evasive response that always starts with how its someone else's problem.

Read an article the other day where they were asked about performance issues, and they pretty much did the stock response... deflect blame to everything other possibility, and list all the reasons/excuses why it isn't their fault, how it's difficult, etc, etc...

Basically, tried to minimize and dodge the issue, and then dangled the virtual carrot w/ something along the lines of "of course, it's not perfect, and we can try to improve it" (paraphrasing). That was pretty much as far as they ever go when discussing anything relating to shitty performance.

Typical, soft and evasive response that always starts with how its someone else's problem.

I know, so **** them, they wont get my money. Arma 2 had demo, they probably would not sell even 50% of copies if people knew how their game perform.

I will buy game, in 2016, when it will be 20$...and will perform ok with skylake (or cannonlake) on 5+GHz with some crazy DDR4 3200+ Mhz

Their games are playable if you wait 3 years and buy highest end CPU and RAM and clock it to extreme. And this is the way since Flashpoint....

I have HASWELL refresh i5...it is just not enough

Their games are playable if you wait 3 years and buy highest end CPU and RAM and clock it to extreme. And this is the way since Flashpoint....

I've had this GFX card for ~2 years (GeForce GTX 670) and this processor for roughly 3 years (i5 2500k 3.3GHz). Both of those reviews/benchmarks put those two at mid-low end compared to other modern processors/graphics cards on the market and I can run ArmA on these settings at roughly 40fps in MP. I think a lot of the issues arise from other factors such as background applications that may be running such as anti-virus software and other circumstances.

I've had this GFX card for ~2 years (GeForce GTX 670) and this processor for roughly 3 years (i5 2500k 3.3GHz). Both of those reviews/benchmarks put those two at mid-low end compared to other modern processors/graphics cards on the market and I can run ArmA on these settings at roughly 40fps in MP. I think a lot of the issues arise from other factors such as background applications that may be running such as anti-virus software and other circumstances.

Your settigns are way too high , for your hardware.

I have same processor ( overclocked to 4.4) and my game runs fine but with more realistic settings.

Your settigns are way too high , for your hardware.

I have same processor ( overclocked to 4.4) and my game runs fine but with more realistic settings.

My point wasn't that I am having issues, my point was that I'm NOT having any issues. It was a counter-point to the rant 'zaira' went on about having to have top of the range hardware to run the game. Also to try and point out other factors must be considered with regard to performance, given I've seen many posts made by people who's hardware is much more powerful/modern when compared to mine but they're having issues. Granted, 40fps probably isn't ideal, but its the minimum my game ever seems to drop to so I'm happy enough.

The good thing on arma series is you don´t need a highend gpu. Still with an older cpu you can be happy with this game mp-minimum-fps related IF its an overlcocked intel 2500k upwards on the intel side. But of course you can´t play on EVERY server or EVERY mission mode expecting good fps. The postings are like ever: the more rant the less detailed information. Thanks Jackal326 for detailed feedback :cool:

Grass is the killer in Arma. Can't there be an option to have low quality grass, that doesn't give an advantage in MP? It can still block vision and provide cover, it just needs to be less CPU intensive. It almost feels like the CPU is being asked to simulate every single strand of grass in accordance with the wind and so on. Nice if you have a super computer and nice for showing off in videos, but really not good when peoples FPS is dropping below 30 for it.

Is grass really cpu-heavy? If so then its a good idea to make an option for low quality grass. Kegety made something similar for armed assault.

Grass is the killer in Arma. Can't there be an option to have low quality grass, that doesn't give an advantage in MP? It can still block vision and provide cover, it just needs to be less CPU intensive. It almost feels like the CPU is being asked to simulate every single strand of grass in accordance with the wind and so on. Nice if you have a super computer and nice for showing off in videos, but really not good when peoples FPS is dropping below 30 for it.

I have barely noticed any difference in fps switching between grass-on and off.

I have barely noticed any difference in fps switching between grass-on and off.

Decided to give Arma3 another shot after the latest patch hoping they did something other than new textures and sounds. Desync worse than last year on multiple servers and the same, if not worse performance.

I have found recently I cannot play this game for more than 10 minutes without getting incredibly bored. Watching another player skip across the screen and then kill you from behind negates anything cool about this game IMO.

I will wait another 6-12 months and hope for a spec of improvement in the MP side of things.

unfortunatly, grass clutter is engrave on map file. you can't drastically change that from game settings menu, expect a kind of LOD system ...

back in arma2 , there were several addons to optimize that thing.

unfortunatly, grass clutter is engrave on map file. you can't drastically change that from game settings menu, expect a kind of LOD system ...

back in arma2 , there were several addons to optimize that thing.

Still are addons/scripts that do such things. I've played on servers where you can adjust view distance as well as adjust grass or turn off grass completely.

I will wait another 6-12 months and hope for a spec of improvement in the MP side of things.
don't expect too much :p, others waited for years with no sucess

They did actually touch on performance in the most recent "Report In". Didn't say too much about it other than the usual stock responses. They also said:

The topic of performance optimization is not a small one and we hope to cover it in more detail in a dedicated OPREP later.

But, then... we've also been waiting two years for a performance blog post that never happened....

source: http://arma3.com/news/report-in-ondrej-martinak-programming#.VPh5xvl118E

I realize AMD cpu's perform very badly on Arma 3.

FX 8350

R9 280x OC Sapphire

16 gigs of ram

10-20 fps MP experience.

Apprently this is war should be revised to this is lag.

I know this game is awesome when running smooth.

But for me its not enjoyable.

I just dumped another few hundred bucks on switching to an intel i5 4690k with this same r9 280x.

If I do not see a performance upgrade tomorrow. I am done with this game.

And I've been playing since OFP demo.

Surely my previous accounts when I was younger were deleted due to me using curse words in my gripes and striking some e-feelings.

But I tell it how I see it.