k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

I saw a pretty decent boost in performance going from an i7 920 @ 4 GHz and a GTX 680 to a 4790K @ 4.7 GHz and a GTX 970. It's not where I'd expect it to be but it's certainly better than before.

Just upgraded to a 4790k and 16gb 1866mhz ram, rarely see FPS below 50 anymore, average 60 (or 80 with vsync off) with 3k vd (2k for objects). Suppose I get the odd drop to 45 if there's 200+ AI running about.

Still running an ancient HD6850 that was revived in the oven last year until I get a 970, so this game is definitely capable of running on older GPU's.

Keep in mind I don't play any spammy or large scale multiplayer modes, mostly 5-10 player coop on a private server.

Hi folks.

Im running Win7 Home Prem. on a i7-3770k , GTX680 and 8GB DDR3.

But it seems this is not powerfull enough at all as I only have 19 to 22 FPS.

Im not sure, but could a new GPU get me some more frames ? Or do i need a complete new rig ?

Hm, your PC is better than mine and I get 25 FPS in towns and 40-70 elsewhere.

Yeah something's not right there.

I've got similar setup (older processor and less RAM) and it's not that bad.

@Shypa - post up an rpt file (doesn't matter which one) - just play the game like you normally do then find the .rpt and post it here.

Yeah, it's badly optimized. I'm playing on a mobile platform, but it runs Far Cry 4 and BF4 just fine.

Didn't adventure outside SP, but I'm getting 30~40FPS with low GPU usage, overall low CPU usage (with a funny pattern: 75-25-25-25-25-25-25-25)

It's funny to think it still have a relatively high price tag, but such unoptimized engine. I know BI isn't a multi billionaire game maker, but they ain't no indie developer either. I'd expect this to be fixed when I bought it.

As I know this issue will NEVER be fixed (it's a engine problem), I firmly believe there should be a money back, evaluation period. I'd return mine for sure.

Lenovo Y500

2x GT650M

i7 3630QM (4 cores, 8 threads) - 2.4GHz

8GB RAM

120GB SSD + 1TB SSHD (game is installed on SSHD)

Yeah something's not right there.

I've got similar setup (older processor and less RAM) and it's not that bad.

@Shypa - post up an rpt file (doesn't matter which one) - just play the game like you normally do then find the .rpt and post it here.

I have a similar system to someone who I played coop's with and connected to the same server, running almost the same settings on the same mission we would get pretty divergent results between us. He would literally always have anywhere from 5-20 fps higher than me. Oh and he ran his CPU at stock and I overclocked mine to 4.2ghz. Seriously I have no idea, I even have ArmA installed on a SSD and he would always have better performance than me. It could be background processes but I don't run any unnecessary things so I highly doubt it.

Anyways just trying to say that similar systems can have wildly divergent results, as far as I have experienced, in ArmA 3.

I have a similar system to someone who I played coop's with and connected to the same server, running almost the same settings on the same mission we would get pretty divergent results between us. He would literally always have anywhere from 5-20 fps higher than me. Oh and he ran his CPU at stock and I overclocked mine to 4.2ghz. Seriously I have no idea, I even have ArmA installed on a SSD and he would always have better performance than me. It could be background processes but I don't run any unnecessary things so I highly doubt it.

Anyways just trying to say that similar systems can have wildly divergent results, as far as I have experienced, in ArmA 3.

I believe that is network/server fps. I run my 4770k, settings on low and get 10-20fps while someone else with a fx6100 is getting 35fps -- right next to me.

I can run 3 fps all day long on my client i7, while a download is in progress on my dedicated server.

It is interesting to get 0-5 fps, but open up the map and the cursor is completely smooth. Server/Network FPS I believe is the biggest problem in Arma.

I run 40-50 fps all day long in SP, but honestly, with the pathetic AI and AI flinching (*super health), does anybody really play SP? If so, I'm sorry. (not really)..

Hey guys! I havent played in the last last 4 months or so and was wondering if theres any increase in performance yet?

Hey guys! I havent played in the last last 4 months or so and was wondering if theres any increase in performance yet?

No, for me its been gradually getting worse since the middle of last year. Broken engine is still broken with no fix in sight. Doesn't matter how important it is the player base we'll get a marksman DLC instead of a working game.

not really, SP performance is also the same, impossible to play heavy battles in SP.

i have upgradet my pc spec from amd fx-8350 stock 4ghz water cooled to an I7-4790k 5ghz water cooled around 45degress while playing

still haveing low fps with 10+ ai's so i rarely play multiplayer as its just flat out awfull about 30-40fps even with evrything on low and at 1000vd.

spec.

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 7

Cpu - I7 4790K 5Ghz water cooled 40-45 degress while playing

Ram - Gskill 1866 16gb

Gpu - Gtx 780ti 3gb 1200Mhz 30-50 degress while playing

Psu - 800W gold

OS - Windows 8.1 Pro

Arma 3 installed on a SSD so is the OS

i have upgradet my pc spec from amd fx-8350 stock 4ghz water cooled to an I7-4790k 5ghz water cooled around 45degress while playing

still haveing low fps with 10+ ai's so i rarely play multiplayer as its just flat out awfull about 30-40fps even with evrything on low and at 1000vd.

spec.

Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 7

Cpu - I7 4790K 5Ghz water cooled 40-45 degress while playing

Ram - Gskill 1866 16gb

Gpu - Gtx 780ti 3gb 1200Mhz 30-50 degress while playing

Psu - 800W gold

OS - Windows 8.1 Pro

Arma 3 installed on a SSD so is the OS

how is your performance in SP with about 150 AI ?

in sp its better about 50-55 fps no change what so ever from low as low can get and ultra with 8.000vd same fps 8.000 vd is a bit overkill i use 3500 to keep fps at least some way playable still not optimal as close firefights i lose all the time due to the small fps drops in city's

in sp its better about 50-55 fps no change what so ever from low as low can get and ultra with 8.000vd same fps 8.000 vd is a bit overkill i use 3500 to keep fps at least some way playable still not optimal as close firefights i lose all the time due to the small fps drops in city's

50-55 fps with 150 AI + action? can you go further ? i mean add more AI + action until you start to get FPS problems and then post result? it would be very interesting for me

50-55 fps with 150 AI + action? can you go further ? i mean add more AI + action until you start to get FPS problems and then post result? it would be very interesting for me
my fps starts to degress to 30-40 fps with about 250+ fighting and smoke fire etc starts to pops up

For what frickin' reason would you need 150 AI in SP ? Do you even know how much 150 is ?

First official mention I can think of that includes the words "multithreading"

Our drive to improve the experience of playing the game remains strong, as does, of course, our commitment to addressing existing issues, including the continued optimization of servers, network traffic, and multi-threading.

Last sentence of "Platform Updates" section.

At least a little encouraging that perhaps their expansion will have some meaningful performance improvements to the core engine. I won't be buying it if it doesn't, so... Here's to hoping.

First official mention I can think of that includes the words "multithreading"

Last sentence of "Platform Updates" section.

At least a little encouraging that perhaps their expansion will have some meaningful performance improvements to the core engine. I won't be buying it if it doesn't, so... Here's to hoping.

They have laid out detailed plans during the final stages of Arma 2 betas for multithreading in Arma 3. They have been talking about it for years and years. Your hope I assure you is unfortunately based on not knowing the company in which you invest that hope.

LoL... I know it is all words at this point. I'm quite familiar with the company and their ways. Time will tell. It was newsworthy imo, though, since they generally avoiding being straight up about this issue like the plague.

Is it just me or has arma started using more of the additional cores? I've always had 90%+ on core 0 and 15-25% on the remaining 3. The last few days I've noticed that cores 1-3 have been utilised 50-60% with core 0 still mostly maxed out.

Obviously it's still not using it all 100% but any improvement is good, has anyone else noticed similar behaviour? Using stable branch so whether it changed around 1.36 and I've only just noticed I don't know?

Depending on mission and video settings usage can get pretty high on other cores also. I've often over 25% on all four cores.

Is it just me or has arma started using more of the additional cores? I've always had 90%+ on core 0 and 15-25% on the remaining 3. The last few days I've noticed that cores 1-3 have been utilised 50-60% with core 0 still mostly maxed out.

Obviously it's still not using it all 100% but any improvement is good, has anyone else noticed similar behaviour? Using stable branch so whether it changed around 1.36 and I've only just noticed I don't know?

have you noticed any FPS improvement with this in SP with AI ? (SP editor without any AI, just placing player isnt a good way to test if FPS increased)

To be honest I've not compared fps on sp, as long as it's above 30 I'm really not that bothered. The altis benchmark is minimal to no increase in average performance, but I have far from a powerful system compared to most on here.

KOTH on a UK 50 man server gives 40-80fps until in a city when it drops to 25-30, I think there might have been a 5fps or so increase since the update but that might be placebo.

For me that is really quite playable, even occasional dips down to 20fps don't bother me.

edit: I'll have a play in the editor later and see what happens to fps with 100 or so ai fighting.

Edited by forteh