k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

Hi again

Well i've kind of figured out the problem and now i'm getting average fps of between 45 and 60 which is good. However, to get them i have to do some weird things. First turn on comp, open AMRA III, discover FPS is only 12 and subsequently restart computer, again open AMRA III in windowed mode and it sometimes works. Failing this, starting through steam or an ATI wizard i have, after another restart and FPS goes to 45-60. Bloody annoying. Happily new computer restarts in like 20 seconds so not that big a deal, but still annoying.

I'm guessing it has something to do wit GPU spinning up, but otherwise have no idea.

And yes, have done all suggested, lowed distance to 2000 and shadows to high.

Any idea why i have to do the funny startup process to get it working though?

A question, if i want to create a ramdisk with 3.5Gb, which PBO i should move on ramdisk??? Which are the most important file???

Thanks

So someone showed me a thread with some fixes: http://www.battleguns.net/forum/m/7737561/viewthread/6153624-arma-3-cpu-optimization-low-fps-fix

But can someone confirm what I should be pasting into the launch options, I've tried the following but it made zero difference:

-noSplash -cpuCount=8 -high -maxMem=8192 -exThreads=7 -maxvram=3072

My spec:

OS - Windows 8.1

Mobo - MSI 990FXA-GD80

CPU - AMD FX 8350 (8-Core) 4.3GHz

GPU - EVGA 780 CLASSIFIED 3GB

RAM - 16GB Corsair 1600MHz

PSU - Corsair TX750

SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

SSD - Samsung 840 120GB

noSplash obviously gets rid of the splash screens, cpuCount is kind of redundant as it already knows how many logical cpu's are in your system and It really does nothing. -high is a placebo, course people swear by it but AFAIK it does nothing, -maxmem can't go higher than 2047 as it's a hard coded limit, -exthreads is already at 7 if you have a quadcore or octocore or hexacore and I believe maxvram is hard capped as well but try it and see.

noSplash obviously gets rid of the splash screens, cpuCount is kind of redundant as it already knows how many logical cpu's are in your system and It really does nothing. -high is a placebo, course people swear by it but AFAIK it does nothing, -maxmem can't go higher than 2047 as it's a hard coded limit, -exthreads is already at 7 if you have a quadcore or octocore or hexacore and I believe maxvram is hard capped as well but try it and see.

Literally this.

(except maxvram, its a soft limit)

edit: don't forget to use -skipintro

Edited by Furret

Thanks so not much to be gained then really.

So someone showed me a thread with some fixes: http://www.battleguns.net/forum/m/7737561/viewthread/6153624-arma-3-cpu-optimization-low-fps-fix

But can someone confirm what I should be pasting into the launch options, I've tried the following but it made zero difference:

-noSplash -cpuCount=8 -high -maxMem=8192 -exThreads=7 -maxvram=3072

My spec:

OS - Windows 8.1

Mobo - MSI 990FXA-GD80

CPU - AMD FX 8350 (8-Core) 4.3GHz

GPU - EVGA 780 CLASSIFIED 3GB

RAM - 16GB Corsair 1600MHz

PSU - Corsair TX750

SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

SSD - Samsung 840 120GB

for 65535 timer there is no -high commandline command and maxmem is for now limited to 2047

for 65535 timer there is no -high commandline command and maxmem is for now limited to 2047

OK, thanks. Will just have to try and tweak the in game graphics settings some more to try and get some more frames :-)

Still the game runs just as poor as the day it was first released in alpha for me. I cannot get over 50 fps in altis anywhere on the map and I get 20 fps in cities.

I think it's funny thinking back to alpha when everyone said 'It's alpha optimization will come in beta'. Look at us now, hahahahahah

BIS basically took our money and decided 'nope' too much work this will have to do.

A little advice to lessen the effect of mouse lag / fps drop, turn off the antivirus (I use Security Essentials) and through Management Activities set the "Priority" of ArmA3 to "High".

I have noticed a marked decrease mouse lag

Try it and let me know :)

BIS Step your game up!

Optimisation of the game is something that players really need. It's taking way too long to fix the overall performance of the game, especially on MP servers.

This makes people leave.

Try this untill they fix fps problems let know if this works follow this to the T---------------http://www.thezombieinfection.com/topic/4901-arma-3-fps-tweak-guide/

Try this untill they fix fps problems let know if this works follow this to the T---------------http://www.thezombieinfection.com/topic/4901-arma-3-fps-tweak-guide/

tryid thous a while back and even now after i went to windows 8.1pro for other resons then arma 3. i notived an increase with loading even when game is installed on an ssd. i have also upgradet a bit from a gtx 670 to a gtx 780ti and im still getting 30-35 fps -.- alrdy unparked my cores and nothing els is running then steam as its req for me to run arma 3. however. all alone on a map vie editor im getting 60 rock solid fps as i have capped my fps to match my monitor hz. uncapped fps then i will be getting close to 150 with evry thing maxed out and VD at 3800 and Object distance at 3500. tha fps does not change a tiny bit when lowering to the lowest it can go even with resoultion at 800x600 just for the test. Great game just not very fun in the long run when in close fight you are getting raped to say it as it is as i have some lag unsmooth movement to aim probbely.

spec.

cpu - AMD FX-8350 4GHz (closed water cooling system around 30-40 degress)

gpu - Gigabyte GTX 780TI OC 3gb 1100mhz (stock cooler around 60-70degress)

ram - 8gb 1866 G.skill

psu - 750W coolermaster

Mobo - Asrock 970 Extreme 4

Windows 8.1 pro

forgoth to say. i didnt buy a gtx 780ti just for arma 3 its for other games aswell.

Edited by Zipet

GPU upgrade is needless if you already had GTX 670. I think I will make a signature reminding people of needless upgrades for Arma3.

Using the dev build, at the start of a Co-Op mission the other night, even in the back of a truck with nightvision on I was only getting about 15fps (many games the fps increase a lot when nightvision is on, as it reduces the complexity of the graphics that have to be displayed I guess) but after disabling PIP this increased to about 23fps.

It was actually better later on in the mission, outside of the truck, which seems weird as obviously my view was rather limited in the back of the truck, whereas outside it had to display much further into the distance but I guess it's not really the graphics but CPU calculations that are causing the low fps.

Ah thought I would pop back in here to see whats new....seems nothing has changed at all what a surprise :(

haha i remember when i complain back in alpha fan-arma-boys told me to shut up and wait , i guess at the end we both lose as the game run like shit after all this time and all we get is a stupid campaing episode every couple of months (which i personally even like...)

I lost my faith in the game time ago and with time the game still the same but i admit it was my fault i fall like a sheep with arma 3 i probably should`ve waited for it and see that BIS was no up to the challenge and it was Arma 2 with steroids, i guess BIS is way to busy with Dayz their another project thats giving a lot of money, but hey i learned not to buy from BIS anyomre aleast without checking the forums

Have a nice day

haha i remember when i complain back in alpha fan-arma-boys told me to shut up and wait , i guess at the end we both lose as the game run like shit after all this time and all we get is a stupid campaing episode every couple of months (which i personally even like...)

I lost my faith in the game time ago and with time the game still the same but i admit it was my fault i fall like a sheep with arma 3 i probably should`ve waited for it and see that BIS was no up to the challenge and it was Arma 2 with steroids, i guess BIS is way to busy with Dayz their another project thats giving a lot of money, but hey i learned not to buy from BIS anyomre aleast without checking the forums

Have a nice day

the same opinion as you

noting also now dayz on some aspects is more realistic that ArmA 3 and more optimized, it is also necessary that the developer knows a thing , dayz would never seen the day without the series arma and his community, if BIS continues to ignore the arma 3 community, it will just shoot themselves in the foot .

The performance drop of the new stable branch is very impressive......20% less fps in missions and scenarios with lots of ai........:(

The performance drop of the new stable branch is very impressive......20% less fps in missions and scenarios with lots of ai........:(

Yeah it's pretty bad but what can you do?