k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

You can try all the solutions mentioned in this thread but at the end BIS choose to destroy all hopes. Latest update results in worse performance. I'm very close to leave this game , I'm tired of this.

Could it be the new lightshafts?

I don't know about the lighshafts but there is something that cause the lower FPS. Personally I love the game but right now I'm dissapointed.

Could it be the new lightshafts?

The lightshafts are a fairly simple shader effect, so that seems unlikely.

I can't believe BIS still hasn't done fuck all about the FPS issues. I have tried changing the settings in the .cfg file i have put in all the start up commands and i still only get 30 - 40 fps with the utilization being under 40% for cpu and under 50% for GPU. 1 of my 12 HT cores is at 95% the rest are under 10%. ( no cores parked). My rig is enough to blow most games out of the water and all you hear is that this is a CPU intensive game. If that is the case why is it not using 100% of my cpu ? This game is broken and I was getting MUCH better FPS in the Alpha and the Beta and every update they put out the FPS drops. I have bought arma 1, 2 and all the dlc that goes with them. I have loved this series for many years now ( racked up nearly 400 hours on arma 3 and i have barely touched it since the full release came out) but FFS PLEASE PLEASE fix this. it is UNACCEPTABLE.

Rig:

6 Core i7 3970x OC'd to 4.8 Ghz

16GB Corsair Dominator ram OC'd to 2133Mhz

HD7990 GPU ( 6GB GDDR5 )

Running windows 7 64bit

so i have to use a extern program for it? damn, i hoped arma3 had it somwhere in its options.

thanks for your reply.

sebastian

I can't believe BIS still hasn't done fuck all about the FPS issues. I have tried changing the settings in the .cfg file i have put in all the start up commands and i still only get 30 - 40 fps with the utilization being under 40% for cpu and under 50% for GPU. 1 of my 12 HT cores is at 95% the rest are under 10%. ( no cores parked). My rig is enough to blow most games out of the water and all you hear is that this is a CPU intensive game. If that is the case why is it not using 100% of my cpu ? This game is broken and I was getting MUCH better FPS in the Alpha and the Beta and every update they put out the FPS drops. I have bought arma 1, 2 and all the dlc that goes with them. I have loved this series for many years now ( racked up nearly 400 hours on arma 3 and i have barely touched it since the full release came out) but FFS PLEASE PLEASE fix this. it is UNACCEPTABLE.

Rig:

6 Core i7 3970x OC'd to 4.8 Ghz

16GB Corsair Dominator ram OC'd to 2133Mhz

HD7990 GPU ( 6GB GDDR5 )

Running windows 7 64bit

I'd have to agree with the miltiplayer. I get near 100 percent usage in single player, but that's it.

There are certain things the community can fix, such as movement, sound and animations. However, this is one of the few things thay requires the source code to fix, and yet nothing has been done.

I have to agree with tentpeg as well. I don't even play the game anymore.

I played a lot of Multiplayer matches yesterday and funny thing is... When I login first I get like 50 fps. Game is running smooth and very well on high details. After a while when I drive through some cities however my frames go down to 30 and most of the time below thirty.

I don't know why. I tried every trick and every hint on the forums. It is kind of annoying when the performance is that bad.

My rig is state of the art (i7 haswell, geforce760TI, 16gb RAM, SSD) and this game isn't playable at all.

windows 7 64-bit

i7 3.6GHz

8 gigs ram

660 ti

I've been having an issue where windows is unresponsive after exiting arma 3. I have to CTL-ALT-DEL to get things to work again. Lately I've been getting the good ol' "your computer is running slow. do you want to switch to a different windows color scheme?" crap. As much as this game under utilizes my hardware, windows is telling me it actually over utilizes it! I monitor everything and can tell you this is B.S. WTF? I play on ultra settings with v-sync enabled. I guess technically, I can't? =/

Funny thing is my girl also runs Arma 3 on her laptop with a slower processor and weaker graphics card and she has no issues (besides the crappy multiplayer low framerate on certain servers of course). I just don't get it.

I agree completely with TentPeg!

I know I do not have the best hardware (it is old):

- Q8300 @2,5Ghz (mostly OC'ed @2,8Ghz) [tested with both clock speed]

- ASUS GTX560Ti Top

- 6GB DDR2-800 (CPU @2,5Ghz = DDR2-666, CPU @2,8Ghz = DDR2-746) DualChannel

but if i'm playing MultiPlayer my GPU is mostly @20%-30% usage and all CPU cores mostly between 40%-50% usage. Sometime the 1st core is @80% while all other core are @20%-30%

AND my FPS are @20FPS (mostly 15-20 FPS)!

Singleplayer works fine @~40-50FPS even on HIGH settings!

Because of this fact I can not believe that my hardware is causing this FPS problem! The game itself is extremely unoptimized!

If I'm looking through the internet for solutions related to this FPS issue I also find people even with more high-end hardware which have such problems!

Bohemia Interactive please, do something about this big issue! :(

Thanks alot!

Let's face it. Nothing is going to be done about this issue. The only way they can make this game a bit more playable is by optimizing other things that don't depend of the engine. Arma 3 uses a 12 year old engine and wasn't designed for multi-core use. The only way BI would be able to fix this issue would be by rewriting the engine completely.

Can't wait until the day the dev branch changelog says: ADDED: Multi-core capabilities.

Edited by LucidPotato

My rig is enough to blow most games out of the water and all you hear is that this is a CPU intensive game. If that is the case why is it not using 100% of my cpu ?

The game is CPU intensive game. The game only uses like one core to the max so one thread performance is the key. If the game wasn't CPU intensive game, then the CPU wouldn't be the bottleneck.

Btw I hoped that they would've done something about the one core to the max issue in DayZ but it's pretty confirmed that nothing has happened. So I wouldn't wait for optimization in this issue in Arma 3 anymore because in DayZ they made huge changes in the engine and it's not still solved. Next Arma needs to have this issued or I'm not going to buy it.

Edited by St. Jimmy

Yep same boat here, done with A3 until it's fixed and if not fixed by DLC or next arma, I will be done with the franchise until it is sorted out, or sadly, goes under. No point going on about it anymore it's a dead horse, anyone who isn't a fanatic fanboy white knight already knows what's wrong, the devs know it's wrong. So yep, enough said, done here until I see dev logs about changes to this core issue.

ANother update and bugger all to help the main issue on this game :(

5 months since they said they were working on a "Performance Blog" to finally clue us in. 2 months since release. We've received no meaningful info, and have seen no meaningful improvement on this issue. Not, that I am surprised. No info, no progress. New game, same ole story. Just stringing us along.

from GTX570 to R9 290 in helo´s Altis-Benchmark: from 48fps to.......................................48fps LOL. I think I have to push my 3570k from 4,9GHZ to 15GHZ.

from GTX570 to R9 290 in helo´s Altis-Benchmark: from 48fps to.......................................48fps LOL. I think I have to push my 3570k from 4,9GHZ to 15GHZ.

Lol, I know the feeling :) That's why I never recommend people to buy new GPUs for Arma3. I had dream that I had a super processor with 10GHZ and that my frames reached 1000 FPS . The "damage" caused by BIS is huge :)

Which is why I don't think future hardware is going to bail ArmA 3 out of the performance dump it's in. I don't think you're going to see CPU's breaking 5ghz anytime soon. It's just going to be increasing logical core count.

Before I buy Arma 3 I am wondering if my rig will be able to play it...

Win 7 64-bit

ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX

GTX 660 Ti

16GB RAM

AMD FX-4170 ~4.2 GHz

Quad-core

I have sort of given up hoping that the performance issues will be fixed in regards to AI and MP in Arma 3. I am sure there will be small steps towards progress, but not the kind of investment and systematic change that is needed to fully resolve the problem. I am disappointed but willing to accept this. Arma 3 is still a step forward for Arma. But at this point I really only want one thing to be heard by BIS and remembered. And that is that the current level of performance cannot be allowed to continue into Arma 4. This is 2013, we expect games to run 60+fps, not to have us feel lucky if we get 30fps. When I think about things like Oculus VR saying we will need 120 fps, 60 fps for each eye, it makes me sad to think we will never be able to achieve this level of performance with Arma 3.

Edited by ssechaud

On my crappy rig based upon "AMD Athlon II x2 250/ GA-880GM-UD2H/GTS 450 1Go DDR3/ 4Go Ram 1600" I can play in single player in the 20/30Fps range with some rare slips down to 15 FPS on "Standard/1000m/AA&PP disabled" settings.

In Single player, mission or Campaign, the CPU load is always high on the 2 cores, from 80% to 100%, the GPU load is in the 75% to 100% range.

So here, it's more "High CPU utilization & Low FPS" but that's far from being a surprise.

What is more weird is the fact that GPU load fall to 30/50% in Multi Players.

With such a rig, MP is not playable. It makes me feel a bit younger for I had the same issue when I had made attempts to play Arma, with my seasoned OFP rig based upon "AMD XP 2000 @ 1.67 GHz / ATI Radeon 9200 128 Mo DDR" ... 7 years ago :cool:

I have posted a small review with my tests results on Armed Assault.info Forums : here

Edited by Old Bear