k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

KrIxXuS is running GTX 680 LIGHTNING Sli judging from his powersupply.Two players I play with run 680's one of them in Sli in ''ULTRA'' settings and there is

little to no difference in their FPS rate they are running mid 40's to mid 50's range.

I am running a GTX 660OC-2GB at ''very high''settings.I am running about 30 to 50 FPS at ''very high'' in game.

Its KrIxXuS's 680 in Sli that is giving him a stable running game.

The rest of is machine is pretty well today's gaming standard.

What do you mean with "custom rig"? Every rig is "custom", welcome to PC gaming.

unless you own a stock HP/dell etc

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

KrIxXuS is running GTX 680 LIGHTNING Sli judging from his powersupply.Two players I play with run 680's one of them in Sli in ''ULTRA'' settings and there is

little to no difference in their FPS rate they are running mid 40's to mid 50's range.

I am running a GTX 660OC-2GB at ''very high''settings.I am running about 30 to 50 FPS at ''very high'' in game.

Its KrIxXuS's 680 in Sli that is giving him a stable running game.

The rest of is machine is pretty well today's gaming standard.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7272/pzx4.jpg (444 kB)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

3D Mark 11 Scores

... around the same here ... can't afford a Quantum-Computer, so I stopped playing ...

Computer Type: PC/Desktop 
System Manufacturer/Model Number: Custom-Build 
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4700MHz 
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V 
Memory: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @2133MHz 
Graphics Card: 2x Gigabyte GTX680-SOC-2GB in 2-Way-SLI and LN2-Bios activated and ~30% further OC 
Sound Card: OnBoard Realtek® ALC892 8-Channel High Definition Audio 
Monitor(s) Displays: Asus VE278Q 27" Wide Led Black Full HD 2ms | Dell S2409W 24" 5ms 
Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 
Keyboard: Roccat Isku | Logitech G13 | XBox 360 Controller wired | Logitech Dual Action GamePad 
Mouse: Shogun Bros. Ballista MK-1 | Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Infection | Zalman FPSGun Mouse | Logitech G9 
PSU: Antec HCG-900 900W High Current Gamer 80PLUS Bronze 135mmfan 
Case: Thermaltake Level-10 GT LCS 
Cooling: Thermaltake BigWater 850 GT + IC Diamond 7 Carat, CPU Thermal Paste-Grease-Compound 
Hard Drives: - Intel 520S 240GB/SATA3/R 550MBs,W 520MBs/25nm/3.5"Kit/5yr - Seagate Barracuda SATA3 1TB 7200RPM 64mb Cache - Seagate Barracuda SATA3 1TB 7200RPM 64mb Cache - Seagate Constellation SATA3 3TB 7200RPM 64mb Cache - Seagate FreeAgent USB 2.0 1TB 
Internet Speed: ADSL2+ ~15MBit/s DL | ~1MBit/s UL 
Browser: Google Chrome 
Antivirus: Windows Defender 
Other Info: - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick - Plantronics GameCom 777 Headset - Logitech X-210 Speakers 

2899550.png

:j:

Edited by TONSCHUH

Below are my setting's in game... i rarely have major problem's unless i have something eating up my processes in the background. I disable the onboard sound as i have a third party one and i also disable nvidia hd audio something which may or may not have an impact on performance but i personally feel it makes a slight difference.

I only have one GTX 680 and my processor is a first generation i7 920 running at 3.8. on an old p6t se board. I use msconfig to turn off all unwanted start up programs and i limit the processes running also as some are just not needed, running the latest nvidia drivers 327,23? and using sweet fx in game. My config in spoiler, it's a work in progress to get my game running great as with each patch it may change or alter slightly but i don't mind messing. You can clearly see my fps in the corner of screenshots so not that great but more than good enough online for me. I know for the majority of you guy's half of this is common knowledge/practice to optimise your pc but if your systems old like mine it does not hurt to look at ways of tweaking your system... The game does have issues and bug's but applying certain setting's and tweaks have made a huge difference for me and i know not everybody will get the same result's. (W7 64)

http://oi39.tinypic.com/2lcahat.jpg

http://oi43.tinypic.com/mbk6kn.jpg

http://oi41.tinypic.com/vmr4vl.jpg

these are fresh shots today after installing 327.23 drivers...

My config...

steamLanguage="English";

language="English";

forcedAdapterId=-1;

detectedAdapterId=0;

detectedAdapterVendorId=4318;

detectedAdapterDeviceId=4480;

detectedAdapterSubSysId=674305122;

detectedAdapterRevision=161;

detectedAdapterBenchmark=63;

displayMode=0;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winWidth=1024;

winHeight=768;

winDefWidth=1024;

winDefHeight=768;

fullScreenWidth=1920;

fullScreenHeight=1080;

refresh=120;

renderWidth=1920;

renderHeight=1080;

multiSampleCount=8;

multiSampleQuality=0;

particlesQuality=2;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=2;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=2;

HDRPrecision=16;

vsync=1;

AToC=15;

cloudsQuality=5;

pipQuality=3;

dynamicLightsQuality=3;

PPAA=4;

ppSSAO=3;

ppCaustics=1;

tripleBuffering=0;

serverLongitude=37;

serverLatitude=-114;

ppBloom=1;

ppRotBlur=1;

ppRadialBlur=1;

ppDOF=1;

My Launch options in steam...

-noSplash -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7

Edited by KrIxXuS

Thanks @KrIxXuS for the Info's !

I will possible have another look into it the following weekend.

The Quality-Profiles don't influence my fps by much, only if I max everything completely out, than I get a major fps-hit, but beside that it's always badly fluctuating.

Even if I turn adaptive-vsync on and start with ~60fps, then I still get a choppy game-play in the showcases. Higher fps doesn't automatically give me a smoother game-play.

As you said, there is hardly no difference between 1x GTX680 compared to 2x GTX680 in 2-Way-SLI.

I can't OC my CPU and / or GPU(s) any further and my rig is already faster then a 4770k @4200MHz + 2x GTX770 in 2-Way-SLI (one of my mates rig):

3D Mark 11 Results

I bought this expecting large scale warfare as advertised. If the argument "it's the server" continues, then BI host a few dedicated servers for a short time and SHOW US this 120 player large scale warfare that you SAY is possible. Show us. That is not too much to ask for.

Sounds like a reasonable request to make of BI to me.

What do we want from them? Say 3, 120 player servers running a an optimized multiplayer mission (with some AI) on Altius. One in the US. One in Europe and one in______???

That would be an excellent benchmark for us all to see.

Where do we sign the petition to get BI to host this??

Where do we sign the petition to get BI to host this??
The same place where you sign the petition to get BI to pay attention to that petition.

Thanks @KrIxXuS for the Info's !

I will possible have another look into it the following weekend.

The Quality-Profiles don't influence my fps by much, only if I max everything completely out, than I get a major fps-hit, but beside that it's always badly fluctuating.

Even if I turn adaptive-vsync on and start with ~60fps, then I still get a choppy game-play in the showcases. Higher fps doesn't automatically give me a smoother game-play.

As you said, there is hardly no difference between 1x GTX680 compared to 2x GTX680 in 2-Way-SLI.

I can't OC my CPU and / or GPU(s) any further and my rig is already faster then a 4770k @4200MHz + 2x GTX770 in 2-Way-SLI (one of my mates rig):

3D Mark 11 Results

That is because like the devs said this game motor really is at its maximum potential and they,

the engineers probably did work on it very hard before its release.It won't get any better than this

game wise unless they scale down the game detail and game play.

They can't go forward anymore they only thing they can do is go backwards and downscale to make

the game more playable.

Is there an other logical solution ...I don't think so.

The same place where you sign the petition to get BI to pay attention to that petition.

Started a thread here you can add your support also...if you care to..which I assume you do because otherwise why would you waste time trolling the LOW FPS thread unless you have the problem too.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?165176-Arma-3-Benchmark-Proposal-for-BI-(Please-add-your-voice)

That is because like the devs said this game motor really is at its maximum potential and they,

the engineers probably did work on it very hard before its release.It won't get any better than this

They can't go forward anymore they only thing they can do is go backwards and downscale to make

the game more playable.

I did new benchmarks and can't even see improvements, compared to the beta: Click

:butbut:

Seeing its pratically unplayable for me online I just hope I will be able

to play the beautiful offline campaign they are making or it will end up

like my Cliffs of Dover 50$ flop I shelved for almost 2 years.

Sorta funny just how CLOD graphically is one of the nicest games today

with the Team Fusion mod beating every game practically with its eye candy.

Edited by Wtornado

the game more playable.

Another solution? Minimize the amount of calculations your code makes. If you can't do that, it's time to get some new talent that can maybe do that. Can't do that, can't make the engine handle multiple cores efficiently, then it's time to start diving into a new engine, building from the ground up, instead of planning an Arma 4. Plan a new RV engine built from the ground up, that uses the resources and assets from the old RV engine, and then once this new, modern, up-to-standard engine is complete, then work on Arma 4 or whatever new series you're going to work on. That's the solution. But BIS can't just use the same old engine for another 10 years. There's nothing praise-worthy about having a game that people can't run flawlessly on high settings. Crysis 2 had that issue (I know because my brother bought that game, plus it had only high or ultra settings). Seriously, they've got to go back to their old 2011-12 goal of the game running well (that is not 30FPS or below) on low-end PCs. If they can't get their engine to that point, then an official spotrep statement needs to address that. And they need to be upfront about it (again, a section about that on their spotrep or sitreps).

First patch is incoming guys (and girls?). Not too uch information as of yet, but hey it is a start and sounds promising:

http://dev.arma3.com/sitrep-00027

ROM: Project Lead

TO: Arma 3 Users

INFO: First patch, Firstlook 2013

PRECEDENCE: Flash

SITUATION

We are in the final stages of preparing for the first post-release patch / main branch update. This does not yet contain the first campaign episode. There are a couple of fixes and improvements that will benefit the larger playerbase and would be good to get out. Recent optimizations benefit the performance of Altis, especially in scenarios with lots of AI units moving about. There are also a few fixes for Japanese and Korean versions - such as re-enabling blood and correcting broken font issues for some texts. The goal is to release later this week, but as per usual, this depends on testing.

Hopefully it doesn't have that annoying scrolling bug in it, when viewing a weapon box (returning to top of list every 3 seconds).

If there are any performance-enhancements in it, I haven't noticed any.

Are you using DEV build? if so guarantee you they have not updated it yet. Sounds like from the words they are using they are keeping it close to the chest.

They need to incorporate the modified network changes that are being done on DayZ Standalone that will fix the problem with everything in the game being processed and lagging terribly. If they can add this to DayZ, there is no reason to not create a separate Beta multiplayer version for Arma 3 with these options. This is the only way I can see Arma 3 being saved from turning into only a COOP game again, or known as one of the worst optimized games for multiplayer.

They need to incorporate the modified network changes that are being done on DayZ Standalone that will fix the problem with everything in the game being processed and lagging terribly.

The game/alpha isn't out yet, not even in closed public alpha, so there is no way of knowing if this is actually going to work or even fix the problem. In theory, it sounds good, but so do a lot of things.

The game/alpha isn't out yet, not even in closed public alpha, so there is no way of knowing if this is actually going to work or even fix the problem. In theory, it sounds good, but so do a lot of things.

True, but there is no way they will not try everything they possibly can to do it... Otherwise DayZ will have to cut down on items drastically and I doubt they will want that. It just seems like BI has focused more on DayZ now than actually fixing Arma. Unfortunately, I can almost bet even if they manage this engine optimization for DayZ, they won't even bother adding it in some way to Arma 3. I am really close to contacting Steam and/or BI and requesting a refund, as what was advertised as a feature is not possible at this time. Normally that would be fine, but when you hear things like "we can't fix it, it's the engines fault" that really tells you they have no intention to fix it. If 100+ players will not be something that can be playable, they I have no interest in this game.

What about the new Mantle and SteamOS? Is that gonna fix the CPU problems? Cause i heard talks about how GPU wont have to wait for CPU anymore.

What about the new Mantle and SteamOS? Is that gonna fix the CPU problems? Cause i heard talks about how GPU wont have to wait for CPU anymore.

Short answer: no.

Long answer:

Mantle is a new alternative to OpenGL and DirectX, so game renderers would need to be written (or modified) to make use of the Mantle API. This is neither an automatic nor even a quick or easy process.

As for SteamOS, we'll be facing the same problems we do on any other Linux derivate - OpenGL yay, DirectX nay. In other words, ARMA3 will not run natively on SteamOS.

Edited by MadDogX

Hello,

so in case of Server with bad performance.

I has done much tests in the past with ARMA and several computer hardware. So ich have running a ARMA3 Server on my Homeserver. We have tested the last days a Mission on Altis just with 4 human players but much more then 150AI´s The workload was never above 46%

You all are invited to test and max out my Server. maybe it is a good test in case of benchmarking your Hardware. i am pretty sure if ARMA will stuttering on your Maschine it will not depend on the Server.

Name of the Server: [A3] Brotherhood of Steel

Thanks for Feedback. If you like to test a different mission, let me know, you can provide me a testmission to Maxon at The-Real-Brotherhood.de if you like.

regards from Germany

-Maxon-

Edited by Maxon

Yeah, I made a similar observation in a previous thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162894-re-Beyond-recommended-requirements-Terrible-Performance&p=2497669&viewfull=1#post2497669

If you let the AI fight in an open field, the impact will be smaller.

I decided to rerun this test after today's patch which is supposed to improve performance with AI on Altis.

Unfortunately I changed my settings since the last test and didn't write the old ones down. However, the impact from the AI fighting inside the city was quite noticable and the GPU usage dropped along with the fps and the CPU power became the limiting factor (it seems that way at least).

I can say that - for me, personally - it seems like the patch did indeed improve the performance.

E4XpOvvs.png

While you can see that pre-patch my fps dropped from around 60 to 35 the closer the AI units came to the city and actual enemy contact, it seems that the drop in GPU usage appears a lot later now and is less severe which also keeps the fps a slight bit higher (from 60 down to 45ish). CPU Usage seems to be about the same.

Oh, and to quote the changelog post:

DATA

• Potential Altis performance optimization (especially when using a lot of AI units): removed class properties from models in Structures_F that don't need it

Edited by jurrasstoil

So has anyone seen a tangible improvement from the patch? worth downloading? I'm not seeing the reaction to the patch I was hoping for...

I strongly belive that around version 2.0 Arma 3 will be playable at last. BI have watches, we have a time.