k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

Some things you guys could try is unparking your cores, setting the game to "high" priority with the -high startup parameter & using -nosplash, -maxmem & -cpucount startup parameters. One more thing, it's a given, but.. make sure your pc is in top shape.

startup parameters example:

-noSplash -cpuCount=8 -high -maxMem=6144

Below is a startup parameter guide to help you with these things.

1. Go to Steam Library
2. Go to "Arma 3" Right Click then select "Properties"
3. Select "Set Launch Options"

For AMD CPU users:
AMD Dual Core with 4GB System Ram:
"-noSplash -cpuCount=2 -high"
AMD Quad Core with 4GB Ram:
"-noSplash -cpuCount=4 -high"
AMD Six Core with 4GB Ram:
"-noSplash -cpuCount=6 -high"
AMD Eight Core with 4GB Ram:
"-noSplash -cpuCount=8 -high"

If your running more than 8GB Ram then apply this to the end of the launch line:
"-maxMem=8192"
This will allow your game to utilize 8GB system Ram instead of 4GB.
This will enable your Hyperthreads on your CPU so your CPU will act as an eight core when running Arma 3.
If you are running a Hyperthreaded Six Core then:
-cpuCount=12
If you are running a Hyperthreaded Eight Core or Eight Core Xeon then apply this:
-cpuCount=16
If you are running just a non Hyperthreaded CPU such as a Quad Core then select "4" instead of "8" same for a Dual Core you will select "2" instead of "4".
All AMD CPU's are NOT Hyperthreaded so Hyperthreaded options is highly not recommended as this can cause system failure or damage.
I will not be responible for system failure and damage if you choose to select more cores then you have on your command line!

-high:
makes your operating system prioritize services and processes to run your game better but this can cause system failure and instability if you dont have a good running system. If you Overclock this can cause system instability.
-noSplash:
disables startup videos and advertisements.
-cpuCount=#:
enables extra CPU cores and Hyperthreads.
-maxMem=#:
when set to "6144" (6GB) and up lets your game use more system Ram then 4GB.
Do not set to higher than 4GB if you dont have at least 8GB. You can set to "8192" (8GB) if you have 12GB+ Ram.

Edited by David77

Some things you guys could try is unparking your cores, setting the game to "high" priority with the -high startup parameter & using -nosplash, -maxmem & -cpucount startup parameters. One more thing, it's a given, but.. make sure your pc is in top shape.

startup parameters example:

-noSplash -cpuCount=8 -high -maxMem=6144

Below is a startup parameter guide to help you with these things.

1. Go to Steam Library
2. Go to "Arma 3" Right Click then select "Properties"
3. Select "Set Launch Options"

For AMD CPU users:
AMD Dual Core with 4GB System Ram:
"-noSplash -cpuCount=2 -high"
AMD Quad Core with 4GB Ram:
"-noSplash -cpuCount=4 -high"
AMD Six Core with 4GB Ram:
"-noSplash -cpuCount=6 -high"
AMD Eight Core with 4GB Ram:
"-noSplash -cpuCount=8 -high"

If your running more than 8GB Ram then apply this to the end of the launch line:
"-maxMem=8192"
This will allow your game to utilize 8GB system Ram instead of 4GB.
This will enable your Hyperthreads on your CPU so your CPU will act as an eight core when running Arma 3.
If you are running a Hyperthreaded Six Core then:
-cpuCount=12
If you are running a Hyperthreaded Eight Core or Eight Core Xeon then apply this:
-cpuCount=16
If you are running just a non Hyperthreaded CPU such as a Quad Core then select "4" instead of "8" same for a Dual Core you will select "2" instead of "4".
All AMD CPU's are NOT Hyperthreaded so Hyperthreaded options is highly not recommended as this can cause system failure or damage.
I will not be responible for system failure and damage if you choose to select more cores then you have on your command line!

-high:
makes your operating system prioritize services and processes to run your game better but this can cause system failure and instability if you dont have a good running system. If you Overclock this can cause system instability.
-noSplash:
disables startup videos and advertisements.
-cpuCount=#:
enables extra CPU cores and Hyperthreads.
-maxMem=#:
when set to "6144" (6GB) and up lets your game use more system Ram then 4GB.
Do not set to higher than 4GB if you dont have at least 8GB. You can set to "8192" (8GB) if you have 12GB+ Ram.

Doesn't help. I've already done this.

Doesn't help. I've already done this.

Dang. It worked for me, thought I'd share. I noticed a large boost in overall FPS.

Dang. It worked for me, thought I'd share. I noticed a large boost in overall FPS.

No most of that has no affect on the game. Your -cpucount is set automatically based on how many logical cores windows reports and the command is mostly present for troubleshooting, -maxmem is hard limited to 2047mb, -high does nothing afaik.

One thing that can fuck your fps is the view distance slider that isn't found in the settings. Domination has this for example and you can get in it from U -> Show Status -> Settings and there should be view distance slider somewhere. In some servers it's set on 3000m which can be overkill and I usually slide it somewhere 2500m-2000m because I use 1700m object distance. It can give nice amount of fps when you slide it down.

Just in case: This post wasn't pointed for GreenBeret40.

View distance never really impacted my FPS. Changing it from 1k to 3k in both SP and MP makes almost no FPS difference for me. On other hand, looking at water drops my FPS to 10.

stop bullshit.

-maxmem is 2GB MAX. devs already confirmed that.

-high will not change anything if your computer is idling.

-cpucount is autodetected. no need to change that. and it take cares of -exthreads automatically.

-nosplash doesnt affect performance .

Eventually, disable hyperthreading can help. it help a lot arma2. HT could reduce performance by a 20%

---------- Post added at 10:40 ---------- Previous post was at 10:39 ----------

-maxmem

it's called PLACEBO

-maxmem is 2GB MAX. devs already confirmed that.

Actually they set LAA to Arma 2 a while back and that means max of 3GB under 32 bits OS and max of 4GB under 64 bits OS. (And this limitations is just because the executable is 32bits, this has been discussed in many threads btw) I'm using 64bits and i've seen A3 consuming almost 2,2 GB just flying around Altis in SP without setting any -maxmem parameter. (Autodetect ftw)

the problem of the game is that you need a 3570k or 2500k @4,6-4,8GHZ minimum to have enough cpu power for bad scripts in mp and the cpu-eating AI in sp and mp. Would be interesting to know if only amd-cpu owners and not overclocked intel´s have the heavier performance problems. I think so.

Unacceptable, I've a Bi Xeon 3.0 Ghz 24 threads, 72 Go of ram, a GTX 580 and SSD 512go (Samsung 840 pro), I can't get more than 40 fps on the new map without anything on it. The game is out ? I still can't play...

Disable AA . PP and lower you object quality to standard or to low.

The engine is bad which means we must sacrifice some stuff:confused:

Edited by Nikiforos

Typically I get between 80 & 90 FPS, however I see frequent dips to 65FPS. That isn't my issue really, it's when we get into villages or towns where performance really suffers. I'll see speeds between 27 & 35 FPS. Granted some people may not characterize that as poor performance but my PC runs other games well over 120FPS easily. We have our own server hosted via GameServers.com so I don't know if this is a host issue(if you all recommend a different company please let me know) or if this is just wide spread.

Interestingly enough, it does not matter what settings I change in-game the FPS remain the same. So there is no tweaking of settings that I can do in-game that increase performance. I can run the game on Ultra or on Low and my FPS stays the same.

My Specs:

MSI z87 gd-65

i7 4770k w/ h100i

16gb ddr3 1866 ram

SLI Gtx 780 superclocked ACX Cooler

Coolermaster HAF X

But does affect performance significantly.

Only if you're GPU bottlenecked, which is extremely rare with this engine.

Yeah, I hate to say but once I get in an actual mission on Altis (i.e., not just dicking around in the editor) the performance plummets and I can't really recover it by changing settings. Maybe with a VD of 500 or something, but then everything looks foggy and ridiculous. Changing AA, Object, Terrain settings have very minimal impact.

Well, I guess no one can just say "it's still Alpha/Beta" anymore... :p

Yeah, I hate to say but once I get in an actual mission on Altis (i.e., not just dicking around in the editor) the performance plummets and I can't really recover it by changing settings. Maybe with a VD of 500 or something, but then everything looks foggy and ridiculous. Changing AA, Object, Terrain settings have very minimal impact.

Well, I guess no one can just say "it's still Alpha/Beta" anymore... :p

Same thing here. I can't complain about empty editor FPS or even with a few AI and a light skirmish. But when you get into real missions, even the BI supplied showcases and stuff, the game performance just dies and there's no way to tweak or recover it.

Same thing here. I can't complain about empty editor FPS or even with a few AI and a light skirmish. But when you get into real missions, even the BI supplied showcases and stuff, the game performance just dies and there's no way to tweak or recover it.

So how do the ShackTac guys do it with over 100 guys on their servers? Are they just relegated to 30 FPS?

So how do the ShackTac guys do it with over 100 guys on their servers? Are they just relegated to 30 FPS?

Care to provide an example of where they have 100 guys on their server and they are getting over 30 fps? Video link etc...?

the benchmark is a joke. I think its a flyover with tons of ai so its heavily cpu-bottlenecked. A GTX570 faster than a HD7970 gig edition.... the tester was an unpaid trainee...no joke...lol

I'm not a player who complains about every little thing. I bite my tongue and do not write what I think about the release version. I only like to point out that I have the same problem. In some showcase missions the frame rate drops at times to 1-2 FPS.

my guess would be no AI no scripts just and empty map for PvP

---------- Post added at 22:37 ---------- Previous post was at 22:29 ----------

yep, after some testing I gained all of 1-2 frames turning 4x AA off. I just leave it on so I feel like my gpu's being used

anyway, pcgameshardware.de put up a benchmark

http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Arma-3-PC-236876/Specials/Arma-3-Technik-Test-1087829/

and it has begun.....

Almost traditionally do well Arma 3 in the review version problems without end: crashes to blue screens, sagging on one frame per second frame rate, completely irrational AI, suddenly the blue of the sky flying tanks, clipping errors, script errors, etc. Although Bohemia Interactive has largely focused on the core of the game, the supporting frame, the frame is still so full of holes that it is almost unplayable. Nevertheless, the game will probably find its fans, finally is the concept of Arma, an open-world war simulation, completely alone in the hallway. Hopefully, the buyers are patient, it will probably be a whole number of patches required to evaporate the fault of the game to a manageable level.