k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

I also noticed that my CPU is barely even trying and still get low fps, in mp that is, i know that is mostly because of the servers not being optimized or something, but i discovered somethings strange, when im in a MP server, and get low fps, i press escape for the menus, and suddenly i see the game's fps become good again!!

Guest Ti0n3r
I also noticed that my CPU is barely even trying and still get low fps, in mp that is, i know that is mostly because of the servers not being optimized or something, but i discovered somethings strange, when im in a MP server, and get low fps, i press escape for the menus, and suddenly i see the game's fps become good again!!

I got the same thing, escape for menu and a few seconds later fps goes from ~15 up around 30. I wonder if anyone has got any more details on why this is the case for at least some of us :confused:

I don't understand why BI didn't prioritize this issue during the development before Alpha. I can't believe they left such a big issue for "later".

Can you point us to the source of your statement? Obviously you have some inside knowledge their decision making processes...

Also, while it sucks that there are probably some people having real issues (not just running one or more minimum spec components and/or poorly maintained OS and/or unrealistic expectations) an issue obviously most aren't. How many of here that do the complaining log your issues with detailed machine specs in the feedback tracker? If it is all of you then percentage wise there is not that many with the problem (so, low priority to fix stuff wrong for the majority) otherwise how do you expect them to prioritize properly if you don't log it to give them the information they need to fix it?

Can you point us to the source of your statement? Obviously you have some inside knowledge their decision making processes...

Also, while it sucks that there are probably some people having real issues (not just running one or more minimum spec components and/or poorly maintained OS and/or unrealistic expectations) an issue obviously most aren't. How many of here that do the complaining log your issues with detailed machine specs in the feedback tracker? If it is all of you then percentage wise there is not that many with the problem (so, low priority to fix stuff wrong for the majority) otherwise how do you expect them to prioritize properly if you don't log it to give them the information they need to fix it?

How many specs do you think BI needs? You can see that there have been dozens specs posted here, and much much more on feedback tracker. And this is not a "minority" issue, when EVERYWHERE you go that is A3 related you will see posts about this.

100% of the users are having this problem, because the engine is bugged, it doesn't depend by the users configuration. The only difference is that some people are ok with 20-30 fps (most of them have low spec PC's, or are not get used to play at high fps, or doesn't understand the difference at all...); while others, those that are used to play at 60+ fps and with mid-high ends PCs, have immediately noticed the problem and reported it. In other words, you cannot even build a PC (and a server) on purpose to make this game run at high fps in MP (neither by spending crazy money). Neither BIS can say they didn't noticed the issue, they should have been blind! My assumption is that they doesn't know how to fix the problem, so they decided to "ignore" it and release the game as is.

I think the last time "Defrag your harddrive" was legitimate advice to gain more performance was in the days of Windows 98 SE...

It's still valid, but since vista and up autodefragment there's no need to do it manually unless you've just patched something.

Still, doesn't increase average fps, only reduces stutters.

100% of the users are having this problem, because the engine is bugged, it doesn't depend by the users configuration. The only difference is that some people are ok with 20-30 fps (most of them have low spec PC's, or are not get used to play at high fps, or doesn't understand the difference at all...); while others, those that are used to play at 60+ fps and with mid-high ends PCs, have immediately noticed the problem and reported it. In other words, you cannot even build a PC (and a server) on purpose to make this game run at high fps in MP (neither by spending crazy money). Neither BIS can say they didn't noticed the issue, they should have been blind! My assumption is that they doesn't know how to fix the problem, so they decided to "ignore" it and release the game as is.

Please, don't generalize that much. It's not 100%. Some people can play pretty well (40 FPS) with high end machines in crowded (and good) servers. Don't conclude that every player is reading or is posting in this thread, many people is playing happily without many worries. And no, most of them are not naive as you are implying about the low FPS aspect.

My case? I have 4 year old hardware, i've aknowledged that and turned things mid-down since Alpha. Most of the effects (if not all) are in normal, terrain draw distance 3km, object distance 1,5km. AA off. (yes, off). All of this to be able to achieve almost 40-50 FPS (Altis) in SP, 25-40 in good MP servers and 15 FPS in poor MP servers.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not dismissing the problem, i WANT more performance, i know that this game should run better in all computers (including old ones like mine). But many of the people posting in this (and other) threads or forums are not being specific about their hardware, A3 configs or other details like server info. I did vote the issue many months ago, because it's a critical one, but i'm not irritated because i've went through a similar experience in the past. (Arma 2, which i begun having barely 25-30 FPS in the best scenarios to having 46 - 50 now)

It's still valid, but since vista and up autodefragment there's no need to do it manually unless you've just patched something.

Still, doesn't increase average fps, only reduces stutters.

I've checked the disk fragmentation after few big patches and there's never been a single fragmented file in Arma directory. According to Defraggler at least. Is there some built-in defrag system in Steam patcher? Most other manual updaters usually chop applications to tiny pieces.:confused:

edit. it appears that Steam used to have separate function to defrag local files but my steam seems to be missing that. I guess it really is automated now.

Edited by Greenfist

My assumption is that they doesn't know how to fix the problem, so they decided to "ignore" it and release the game as is.
thats my assumption too. In this thread all is said so IF they are able to solve the problem then they will do. And if not....then it makes no sense to repeat the same thing over and over and in a more and more wrong manner ("there is no cpu-bottleneck" and similar crap). There are a couple of people gave detailed informations related to this issue in this thread (sys. specs/scenarios/settings), but I think you, TSAndrey and MobileMedic aren´t these people. lol

@Vixente

nice said!

Please, don't generalize that much. It's not 100%. Some people can play pretty well (40 FPS) with high end machines in crowded (and good) servers. Don't conclude that every player is reading or is posting in this thread, many people is playing happily without many worries. And no, most of them are not naive as you are implying about the low FPS aspect.

Performance in MP will be bad to almost all people playing on the server. For example, when me and my friend join a server, we both get the same FPS, even though his PC is much better than mine.

I try all ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡:mad:

I CHANGE THE CONFIG.CFG

I SEE THE TUTORIALS OF CONFIG VIDEO

I have only 18 FPS OR 20 IN ALTIS. when i turn around with alt key i have only 10 fps

this is my sYstem

i7 950@3.07 GHZ

12 GIGAS RAM

NORMAL DISK NO SDD

gtx580 4 gigas ram

PLEASE HELP ME¡¡¡ :butbut:

Performance in MP will be bad to almost all people playing on the server. For example, when me and my friend join a server, we both get the same FPS, even though his PC is much better than mine.

I don't doubt or deny your words or the facts, i've experiencied them myself with some friends too. But in that case the culprit is, probably, the server's hardware/bandwith, and then the engine performance&netcode (obviously). In those ocassions it would be ideal to ask everyone in that server how much FPS they have, performance, their current settings ingame and also, to the server admin, the server hardware specs including bandwith and its actual use in that moment. (They maybe running some other service in that server) All this to compare and gather all possible technical info.

I don't recall any detailed info but from single players in some random servers. Which is not bad info at all, but isolated and insufficient. Although i've been following very closely this and others threads ( contrary to what White insisted i didn't do many months ago :P (Where is he btw?) i don't remember everything and i could be wrong and someone could have wrote a detailed post as i just suggested.

Edited by Vixente

I try all ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡¡:mad:

I CHANGE THE CONFIG.CFG

I SEE THE TUTORIALS OF CONFIG VIDEO

I have only 18 FPS OR 20 IN ALTIS. when i turn around with alt key i have only 10 fps

this is my sYstem

i7 950@3.07 GHZ

12 GIGAS RAM

NORMAL DISK NO SDD

gtx580 4 gigas ram

PLEASE HELP ME¡¡¡ :butbut:

lower object viewdistance to 1000m

I don't doubt or deny your words or the facts, i've experiencied them myself with some friends too. But in that case the culprit is, probably, the server's hardware/bandwith, and then the engine performance&netcode (obviously). In those ocassions it would be ideal to ask everyone in that server how much FPS they have, performance, their current settings ingame and also, to the server admin, the server hardware specs including bandwith and its actual use in that moment. (They maybe running some other service in that server) All this to compare and gather all possible technical info.

I don't recall any detailed info but from single players in some random servers. Which is not bad info at all, but isolated and insufficient. Although i've been following very closely this and others threads ( contrary to what White insisted i didn't do many months ago :P (Where is he btw?) i don't remember everything and i could be wrong and someone could have wrote a detailed post as i just suggested.

In what other game can servers lower a players FPS? Doesn't matter how poor the mission was coded, servers shouldn't be able to influence framerate anyway.

Please, don't generalize that much. It's not 100%.

It's 100% because it's a game problem.. it's not like if you can play, if you don't care to have higher fps, but the game doesn't scale: you cannot obtain better performance by using a better computer (or by lowering your settings), you're stuck in a bugged engine.

Some people can play pretty well (40 FPS) with high end machines in crowded (and good) servers.

This is the problem.. the game can't even do stable 60+ fps.. no matter what hardware you have. Someone with a $1k PC is doing 40fps.. someone else with a $6k PC is doing.. 40fps as well.. and it's not a server problem, it happens on any server. Those ppl have spent money to run games at 120fps on 120hz monitors ... not to being stuck with 40fps, it's 2013 .. wake up!

I use these settings: I can get anything from 100 down to 40 fps (average 45fps i reckon).

Turning some things up (shadows for example) gets better framez.

General

Sample; 100%

Texture; High

Objects; Standard

Terrain; Standard

Shadows; High

Particle; High

Cloud; Disabled

PIP; Disabled

HDR; Low

Dynamic Lights; Low

Visibility

Overall ; 1500

Object; 1000

Shadow; 100

Display

VSYNC; Disabled

AA & PP

Bloom; 100

Radial Blur; 0

Rotation Blur; 0

Depth of Field; 0

SSAO; Disabled

Caustics; Disabled

FSAA; 4x

ATOC; Disabled

PPAA; Disabled

Aniso. Filtering; High

If people state what they are setting their visibility at then we can suggest other changes; just jumping in posting your system specs and shouting "Help plz can i haz moar framezz?!1?" is useless.

My old shitty Core 2 Duo (and my current w.i.p below) got better fps than some £1000 set-ups because i am not afraid to turn things down.

got better fps than some £1000 set-ups because i am not afraid to turn things down.

You can't even do this in A3.. I mean in any other game you can set anything to zero details and see your FPS skyrockets... in A3 even if you set your resolution to 800x600 and no details, you can have 60+ (never goes below 60) fps on any server. And this is wrong on many levels.

lower object viewdistance to 1000m

lowering view distance will not solve your FPS problems. It'll make it more playable, maybe, but it won't result in drastic changes.

many thanks :).

First: disable SSAO, it has heavy performance impact and only marginal visual effects.

second: overclock your cpu, if its possible.

The mission you are playing on altis is a kind of showcase with lots of vehicles and AI i think. Whats the name of the mission/downloadlink. I will look what my GTX570 says to this scenario :)

One thing that can fuck your fps is the view distance slider that isn't found in the settings. Domination has this for example and you can get in it from U -> Show Status -> Settings and there should be view distance slider somewhere. In some servers it's set on 3000m which can be overkill and I usually slide it somewhere 2500m-2000m because I use 1700m object distance. It can give nice amount of fps when you slide it down.

Just in case: This post wasn't pointed for GreenBeret40.

Edited by St. Jimmy