k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

Altis actually runs pretty decent for me. CPU utilization and FPS still tank sometimes, but it sure seems like it runs better than ArmA 2 did on release.

I can second that, at least from my perspective. It's gotten a lot better, the only performance problem I am having is a very bad stuttering when moving. I still think this engine is pushing the limit of what a 32 bit program can accomplish memory allocation wise. I think that's pretty evident by the myriad of problems people are having with 32 bit OS's and Altis.

dedi fan for 15 years logging off till fixed.

Dedicated fan for 15 years?! Really?! They've only released Flashpoint in 2001 so unless you were a big fan of local Spanel Pizza..you're a stalker my friend :rolleyes:

Dedicated fan for 15 years?! Really?! They've only released Flashpoint in 2001 so unless you were a big fan of local Spanel Pizza..you're a stalker my friend :rolleyes:

well it felt like 15 years from the date ofp was announced to release date :P lol

I'm getting 1 FPS (literally) on Altis no matter what setting. Something is BROKEN here. I'm gonna try redownloading the game on my other hard disc!

Agreed. My game's even worse, the moment I've held down any key for more than maybe 0.5 seconds everything has just frozen for several seconds for every second it's pushed down. Nothing registers, no character movement, nothing else in the game, etc. If I'd actually want to move, I'd have to tap my movement keys with proper pauses between each tap, so much so that moving 10m would take at least a minute.

But still the devs think it's more urgent to throw out new gadgets like unmanned vehicles, islands, cars, etc. than to actually make the game work for everyone, as opposed to practically have working games be distributed via a random lottery. I've tried re-installing my game, verifying the files, disable all addons, set all graphics to below PS1 levels, etc., but nothing makes it work. Smooth sailing devs...

The (constant) 1fps issue appears to be a separate issue that only effects windows 32-bit users.

This thread has more info:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?162402-1-2-FPS-on-Altis-and-60-fps-on-stratis

towards the end of a thread is a temporary workaround someone discovered that involves renaming the altis pbo file until they get it fixed.

--

(if someone asked me about something that happened around the year 2000, I'd say it was about 15 years ago. I'm sure he hasn't kept a calendar commemorating the exact date he started playing the series... talk about nitpicking :)

Doesn't explain my problem though, since it's been persisting since before Altis was even made available, and goes on Stratis as well.

Sorry you are having that trouble. I know how frustrating it can be. Unfortunately, I don't have any advice to offer as your issue is a new one to me. Out of curiosity, what kind of keyboard are you using? Pretty standard, or is it one with an lcd display, or any other bells and whistles? Possibly a driver/software conflict of some kind. Perhaps a reinstall/update of your keyboard drivers/software is in order. Does it happen with mouse or joystick inputs as well, or just with your keyboard?

Some rather standard Fujistsu Siemens. Only the keyboard causes it, and there aren't any problems with any other game, Arma 2 or otherwise. It's honestly so bad I'm wondering if the devs are even bothered about fixing the performance of the game, rather than just add new things for those who are lucky enough to be able to actually play it.

cpu: xeon3220 2.4ghz 8m chache oc to 3.6ghz, gpu: HD 6970 oc, ram: 4gb ddr2 1066, SSD

altis performs quite decent so far, i run 120% res, everything ultra, 1000m viewdistance.

build areas give fps drops like usual. im suprised i get 30-35 in the big coast town (kavala), there are more siginificant framedrops in some areas though.

my CPU is from 2007, so i guess i cannot complain.

what this game really needs optimization wise is a revised netcode, my prefertence is to play pvp only with no AI but most servers and are crap and i get 10-20 fps :/

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

Doesn't explain my problem though, since it's been persisting since before Altis was even made available, and goes on Stratis as well.

does the splash screen load for you? try adding -nosplash to you exe, there was an issue with ATI cards in cliff of dover were the flash intro was locking the GPU clock speed to low causing the exact issue you are experiencing

Am I the only one having FPS drops when shooting? Whenever I shoot (especially many bullets at once), it's like my game stutters and skips a frame, making very unrealistical recoil and making my aim much harder!

I have my Win 7 pagefile disabled since 1 month , can this have a negative impact in my game?

I have Win 7 64bit and also 8 GB RAM.

Completely disabling your pagefile is generally not recommended and definitely won't have any positive effects on your system (although the negative effects are also rare). Even with 16+GB of RAM you should at least keep a small one, something like 1-2GB.

I have my Win 7 pagefile disabled since 1 month , can this have a negative impact in my game?

I have Win 7 64bit and also 8 GB RAM.

My personal experiences:

- Laptop with 4GB(3.5GB usable) with no pagefile I could run only light memory programs without getting out of memory. I disabled it cause browsing with Firefox was slower with a pagefile enabled due to the constant access to it.

- PC with 6GB needs a pagefile or you are bound to get out of memory. Upgraded to 12GB for no pagefile.

- Current PC 16GB never used a pagefile.

So what do you think about my PC? Should I enable it again?

It's up to you. :)

Worst case scenario you lose some unsaved data due to a program or OS crash.

8 GB is too low for my liking as I managed to get low memory errors with 6GB. And you have to consider that even if your programs run OK with no pagefile you leave little memory for the OS to use for file caching.

does the splash screen load for you? try adding -nosplash to you exe, there was an issue with ATI cards in cliff of dover were the flash intro was locking the GPU clock speed to low causing the exact issue you are experiencing

I've tried that before I had this problem, and nothing changed. Just to be sure, what's supposed to be written before -nosplash?

Hi.

First off, my FPS in Altis is actually pretty good, no complaints. That being said, I am always eager for an extra 1km of view distance or a few more frames per second.

Are there any definitive guides yet on optimizing settings and configuring systems/cfg files for Arma3?

Should I disable core parking? (I am on a I7 2700, so 4 cores and 8 threads)

Should I mess with my page file size? (I have 16gigs ram, and page files set to auto)

Does disabling Steam background operations help?

Does having an SSD HD help a lot?

Sorry for the whack of questions, I'm just trying to get educated on how to get this game running at 100% of what it can be running at.

-matt

I7 2600 OC to 4Ghz

GTX 590

7200rpm HDD

16Gigs RAM

Win 7 64bit

I wouldn't disable core parking with a regedit, try disabling all powersaving options in the bios if you want to test if it makes a difference, setting windows to max performance in the power plan settings might make a difference too.

Wouldn't mess with the pagefile, ssd is great for loadtimes, boot times etc, will not increase fps but is a great upgrade regardless.

I noticed that the GPU usage/utilization is very irregular in Arma 3.

I know that because I use MSI afterburner and have user defined software automatic fan control enabled which adjust the fan speed according to GPU temperature.

Sometimes my GPU fan speed remains low and I get around 20 fps in-game. Some moments later, GPU fan speed suddenly increases and my fps also increases to 40 and above.

This behaviour is very irregular.

so we had any info on whats being done here?.

they said they would blog on optimization we never see it.

Come on BIS tell us what you have done or plan to do please :(

so we had any info on whats being done here?.

they said they would blog on optimization we never see it.

Come on BIS tell us what you have done or plan to do please :(

I find it silly how the biggest thread on the A3 forums, has barely got any dev attention. The only responses we got are from Dwarden. I have yet to see a response from anyone else on the BI team, and I think that the optimization blog probably won't even come out.

I find it silly how the biggest thread on the A3 forums, has barely got any dev attention. The only responses we got are from Dwarden. I have yet to see a response from anyone else on the BI team, and I think that the optimization blog probably won't even come out.

I assume Dwarden is their(Dev-Team) communications guy here in their forums, you could check the profiles and see most of the other BIS members don't post much here in comparison. Still we get much more info for the inner workings of the game in regards to other games and especially business.

Surely there must be some things that they can't or won't be open about. They are a business after all.

Another weird behaviour that I noticed.

GPU usage is higher when at the main menu screen (with top down view of the map).

As soon as I go in-game especially multiplayer mission, GPU usage decreases.

I thought its suppose to be the other way round.

You're being silly again.

Understand that the entire developer team can't spend all their time reading and answering threads about performance issues in their forum.

I’ve seen one or two BIS devs handing out solutions to various performance issues recently and that’s more than enough.

As always the devs should be solving issues and developing the game and that should be their top priority.