k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

just about the ram bickering OA, A3 are both LAA aware, so it's 4GB under 64bit os ...

but i guess that's not gunna change anything in eyes of the 64bit native demands ;)

I am interested to know what specs and fps the devs get, so we have some sort of baseline where we can expect at least 30fps+ minimum.

It's been a while i got this game.. initially i was getting very low fps but than again that was alpha and now its beta with a patch but nothing changed. I thought maybe its my system not the game, so i checked my cpu and gpu usage while playing in some servers they never went above 55% (cpu usage) 70% ( gpu usage with high settings ). I also tried with low graphic settings and changed the view distance i get more fps but again when i join a server sometime i get 12 fps. Now i dont want to compare this game with any other but can the dev's explain why i get 60 fps with high settings on editor or on an empty server and get 16 fps when there are 20 player? If the game was utilizing even 90% of my cpu power than i would think its my system not the game.

If anyone knows the solution for this problem plz do share.

So does anyone anticipate at this point that this issue will be noticeably improved by the September 12th release date? Does anyone even anticipate that we will get the performance blog post (and find out the reason/excuse as to why it was not done, and/or what will, or won't be done post-release) by the Sept. 12th release date?

Intel core 2 Quad Q8200 2.33GHz

4Gb ram DDR3 1333MHz

AMD XFX Radeon HD 6670 1GB 800MHz

OS Windows 7 Ultimate 64

My fps is 15-20, what i need change to have a better fps? Just one component, or all desktop?

just about the ram bickering OA, A3 are both LAA aware, so it's 4GB under 64bit os ...

but i guess that's not gunna change anything in eyes of the 64bit native demands ;)

well i guess you know at best that the 4gb barrier was just the main thing the community sees about 64bit, you will also know that the huge performance boost on calculating integer( 32bit, integer will be calculated as float and cut down to integer again after, 64 bit integer will be calculated as integer with no futher steps needed) as integer and not as float(up to 25% on simulation heavy progs using int) is quite heavy.

but i guess your studio can´t handle the "load"(no offense!) doing a native 64bit exe with all the graphical corruption(z-fighting/texture layer positioning, etc) and so on ;)

but just imagine the performance boost on amd fx processors with their limited fp capacity^^

but first things first, 64bit arma 3 wouldn´t be good if the 32bit arma 3 is still buggy, and the performance improvement(arma 2arrowhead latest patch-arma 3 beta) with this issue is quite remarkable for you BI guys:)

@edkbsaa: well for ultra the whole system ;) but to play decent single player i would prefer it too^^

cpu(i5 4xxx+ssd(samsung 840 evo)+gfx card(hd7870/gtx 760) would be a good start and will most likely assist you well with all the next gen games comming(not at ultra!)

Edited by xXxatrush1987

Only 34 days left before full release. No more Alpha or Beta excuses after that.

Do we have some positive information about this issue or not?

OH WOW! you did not just infer that we are being unreasonable did you??!? so having the game thrash our HD's and in turn causing stuttering is a better solution than being able to fully utilize ALL of our ram......

---------- Post added at 22:32 ---------- Previous post was at 22:30 ----------

Only 34 days left before full release. No more Alpha or Beta excuses after that.

it is what it is :( there will be some smoothing buffing and waxing but fundamentally it will not change , it will be playable but with limitations.

Bigger question is does the game actually use up to 4gb of addressable ram or does it use it's non addressable memory store "streaming" when it reaches a certain point of usage below 4gb, I.E. say 1536mb?

ddr3 over 2000mhz

This DDR3 frequency don't give you nothing.

but first things first, 64bit arma 3 wouldn´t be good

Because this engine don't need more than 2gb ram, and more than 2gb for adress space. The main problem is CPU scaling. That's all.

Edited by Anachoretes

This DDR3 frequency don't give you nothing.

Because this engine don't need more than 2gb ram, and more than 2gb for adress space. The main problem is CPU scaling. That's all.

i tend to disagree on this 2 statements, as rv engine scales since ofp very nice with ram clock and less with ram latency, and second a native 64bit exe would address this cpu load issue as i mention before, addressing ram is done with laa flag well even with 32bit, as dwarden has written before.

Valid question.

Seriously, when will that blog come out?

Seriously, when will that blog come out?

I have just heard it is coming out on the 32nd of this month.

scales since ofp very nice with ram clock and less with ram latency

Nope. You will not even notice that something changes. RAM just can't be are bottleneck today.

I've noticed that every time I launch arma 3 and start playing the game feels really sluggish. It's laggy, choppy and the input latency is quite bad. So when I start playing I immediately (without pausing, keep it running) hit alt+tab, and then click the arma icon in the taskbar to get back into the game. This fixes all the mentioned issues. Worth a try, if you are experiencing the same issues.

edit: @devs - Any thoughts on what's causing this?

running on:

win7

i5 2500k @4Ghz

radeon 4970 Ghz edition

ssd raid

Edited by Heruon

Amd phenom 2 x6 2.7Ghz

ddr3 x2 4gb (8gb total)

nvidia gtx660 4gb

installed on hdd.

There is some strange. Playing on ultra on 1st server. Fps is 30+, changing server and have 12-15 fps. How it can be? Game used only 1 core but can use all 6. Memory taked by 50%. How to make game to use all cores?

p.s. BIS please create multicore for game.

@xXxatrush1987 and Anachoretes

Are you guys saying that if ARMA3 had access to 8GB of ram it would not help? if the memory issue is taken care of by LAA why is it thrashing my HD so much? surely what ever the engine is looking for on my HD could be loaded into ram if the engine could access 8 or more gigs.

---------- Post added at 00:40 ---------- Previous post was at 00:38 ----------

Amd phenom 2 x6 2.7Ghz

ddr3 x2 4gb (8gb total)

nvidia gtx660 4gb

installed on hdd.

There is some strange. Playing on ultra on 1st server. Fps is 30+, changing server and have 12-15 fps. How it can be? Game used only 1 core but can use all 6. Memory taked by 50%. How to make game to use all cores?

p.s. BIS please create multicore for game.

sorry mate your are going to have to wait for ARMA 4 for full multicore support and the issue of FPS droping from one server to the next is an issue with the server more than your PC.

i seriously dont get what the major problem is... i can run this game BEAUTIFULLY

my settings are on ULTRA and view distance is 5000 and the object distance is the same -avg 50fps, i would say that is playable

why is everyone complaining for?

i seriously dont get what the major problem is... i can run this game BEAUTIFULLY

my settings are on ULTRA and view distance is 5000 and the object distance is the same -avg 50fps, i would say that is playable

your joking right? is this your rig?

I7 3970X 3.5GHz

16gb ram

gtx690 ddr 5

2tb hdd

250gb ssd

what game CANT you run on ultra??? maybe you should check what BIS has set as minimum and recommend specs before you start spouting off mate.

I can get 30 FPS in normal land, but the moment I even look at water my FPS drops to 10. Everytime, everywhere... My FPS is also low in some MP servers or in forests(sometimes).

Someone made a ticket about that issue, but the devs closed it as a "Low CPU utilization" duplicated, so it must be bad optimization... http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=1505

Dwarden, about five months ago, you made the following comments:

let me spread some 'light' into 'darkness' :) the low cpu utilization most likely (nearly in fact) has nothing to do with low FPS

so while some of the concerns and complains about MT (multithreading) are valid they not exactly linked to actual low FPS in Arma 3 Alpha

like I said before one of reason the low FPS is linked to some other problems we found in engine ...

after that's solved we can return on the 'efficiency' discussion

These comments seem to indicate that you know at least one of the reasons that the team found linked to this issue. You have stated as "nearly, *fact*" that the cause(s) of this issue is not related to low (or poorly optimized) cpu usage (which I find particularly intriguing, b/c it seems to fly in the face of all available evidence and observations). The question is, since the team is apparently too busy to provide info about it, and you do post regularly, can you shed some light on what the problem is that you identified, and what is being done (or has been done already) to fix it? You indicated direct knowledge.

What is the cause? What is being done? What has already been done? Should we have noticed an improvement in our fps or hardware utilization between March and today? Do you guys have a magical fix waiting in the wings that has not required feedback/testing from your alpha/beta community of users?

Same question as Mobile_Medic asked above. So far MP for many people is almost unplayable.

I cant believe it. Anyone taking part in this happy about the Live Release Video?