k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

Do you know what the server had the view distance set to? The way your object distance indicator varies suggests perhaps it was enforced to something other than you were using in singleplayer.

I don't know why that bar is bigger with the same numbers, i saw it too, and no matter the view distance because it happens in any server. I encourage you to do the same test and see what difference you get

PS: someone knows how to post an image for direct view without that the forum converts it from IMG to URL tag?

Multiplayer server with low ping

http://img818.imageshack.us/img818/8366/vkv9.jpg (317 kB)

Single player in the same position, with same settings

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6521/hct1.jpg (296 kB)

The MP server looks like Wasteland which doesn't exactly have the most optimized scripts so it might be linked to that hogging your CPU.

The MP server looks like Wasteland which doesn't exactly have the most optimized scripts so it might be linked to that hogging your CPU.

yeah maybe, but so much?

Frankly, yes; I've seen a rather unflattering look at its code from someone else.

This still doesn't explain why the CPU and GPU are effectively idling in such situations.

My fear is that this problem never gets solved and we and up having the exact same situation as in ArmA II.

That is what is going to happen...

Same as alpha. Got decent editor/SP performance but horrible MP performance on various servers and types of missions. My CPU and GPU usage goes down with CPU at around 40-70% on most active core, and GPU around 40-60%.

Edited by Minoza

1500 replays hundreds suggestions and not even one confirmation with evidence that fps tweaks works?

Are you guys just trolling here?

lower settings do get you higher fps, but if there's too much going on on the map the cpu is so busy you'll never have a good framerate. Viewdistance is the biggest cpu killer, I'd keep it at 2000 or even lower if you're not bothered by it.

the maxframes adhead and detectedframesahead is to lower pre rendered frames, lowers inputlag, especially at low fps. I recommend turning off mouse smoothing and vsync too, makes the mouse feel much more responsive, even though the fps is unaffected.

wasteland and scenareos with 400 ai will still not run well, but more modest missions like all the showcase ones are perfectly playable on my system (i5-750 on 4Ghz, 8GB ram, gtx470).

Is just me or someone else have this weird fps thing:

Wasteland-

Autodetect(would be between medium and hidg): 10-15 fps

Low: up to 10 fps

But now this, when I set on very high, or ultra, I get 20-25 ???

This still doesn't explain why the CPU and GPU are effectively idling in such situations.

Because they can't beat the server is my guess.

Wasteland-

do you have an nvidia or amd card? if you have an nvidia card go to the control panel to 3d settings, arma3 (probably detected, otherwise add it) then set the power management thingy to "prefer max performance". If that doesn't fix it it's a very weird bug.

Not sure if amd has a similar option.

On Nvidia control panel, under the Arma3 profile, I set "Maximum Pre-rendered frames" to 4, I got a noticeably better frame rate. Might work for some of you with issues.

My settings are on ultra, and the game runs at about 30-40fps...so pretty smooth overall. I play strictly multiplayer (Teetimes Warfare) and it runs smooth. I have noticed that some of the Wasteland servers drop my FPS by as much as 10fps sometimes, when that happens I log off the server and find another Wasteland server until my fps are smooth.

I am onboard with those who have been reporting stuttering. It's not making the game unplayable, but I have noticed with the beta that every 8-10 seconds the game stutters for like .2 seconds. It's not much of an issue, but it is kind of annoying.

Wasteland-

The medium settings are probably more cpu dependent but less resource intensive over all. Wasteland is a very cpu hungry mission, so if you want to play it, it's probably best to offload the cpu as much as possible.

i heard SaMatra's version of Wasteland is approx as twice faster than usual non optimized wasteland

thanks for the link, danil-ch. Its seems that they forgot information, what antialiasing and postprocessing they used in the test.

Thanks for the tests, pathetic performance even on latest gen i7 with nearly 5Ghz overclock and overclocked high end GPU's.

Not that i'm surprised.

Cant wait for the blog about optimizations that was mentioned 2 weeks ago. ;)

i heard SaMatra's version of Wasteland is approx as twice faster than usual non optimized wasteland

Confirmed. Running 25-30fps more on multiplayer. Arma is beautiful and smooth on this Wasteland version ((DEV) Only 1 server up running afaik, several on nondev)

Edited by baaaard

Just wanted to highlight the remarkable FPS gain in dev build (click the picture to see larger version) :)

4f1ZHzC.png

as you can see we slowly optimizing :)

http://i.imgur.com/4f1ZHzC.png

as you can see we slowly optimizing :)

If the +25% shown here is translated the same way into MP, then it's a great news, if this is only about SP/Editor... then I wouldn't care much: the game runs sweet in SP, all the troubles starts when you join a online server.

If the +25% shown here is translated the same way into MP, then it's a great news, if this is only about SP/Editor... then I wouldn't care much: the game runs sweet in SP, all the troubles starts when you join a online server.

Not for everyone. A lot of people (including myself) have AI and water FPS drops in SP. But the MP performance is still a lot worse...

I agree with TSandrey!!

Put 60 AI fighting (in editor) each other at the airport works fine with me. As soon as you have helicopters or armed vehicles involved the frames drop drastically.

Frames should drop when a fight erupts but shouldn't have this kind of massive hit.

I have a gain in cpu-utilization too: before I had in empty editor (running around in agia marina) 55% average, now 65%. Logged with system tool "perfmon".

Of course its more interesting with lots of AI.