k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

edit: woke up on the wrong side of the bed

it would be nice to get an update on matters from BI

Id like an update to, When i heard BI was working on Arma 3 i thought there gonna optimize the shite out of it :confused: I guess not.

If they had a fix im pretty sure we would have had something in the DEV build or some update.

I know it's been around a while (I didn't just start playing either). Just responding to the newcomers who think that 544989 "yes" votes should result in near-immediate fixes and a flurry of dev apologies or whatever they're expecting.

I know it's been around a while (I didn't just start playing either). Just responding to the newcomers who think that 544989 "yes" votes should result in near-immediate fixes and a flurry of dev apologies or whatever they're expecting.

who said immediate fixes? an acknowledgement would be nice for starters. years long issue. The most reported, most up-voted issue. a "new" engine. same problems. no acknowledgement. Their "known issues" of the "most obvious" issues in feedback tracker doesn't list it, et , etc, etc. That is what people are responding to. If you know what you stated is false, please don't provide cover for the issue by stating fallacies.

p.s. some of us "newcomers" have been around. Not everyone gets involved in forum life. I only did this time b/c I expected this would be the first and most important issue addressed with their so-called "new" engine, and yet, same ole, same ole. And, I paid for this, and they want feedback. If this continues to be the status quo from BIS, the 33 they got from me will be the last they ever see from me. And, I definitely would not recommend this game to anyone if they present the same attitude about this issue, and the release version has the same issues. I couldn't in good faith recommend a friend spend money on something that is likely to be a crap shoot if it is playable for them or not. This is some EA caliber nonsense. There is mountains of evidence to the contrary that they will even acknowledge, let alone attempt to fix. Just saying "alpha" doesn't mean anything at this point given the years that this issue has persisted. And, saying as much (without the devs giving us any new information to counter that reality) does little more than provide cover for their lack of attention to this. Something that is made even worse by the fact that they actually *do* regularly patch their games, yet ignore the fundamental issue that we all know they know about. Until then, I'ma keep bringing it up until they have something meaningful to say about it. either, we know and we are working on it. Or, we don't give a shit, or we don't have the skills to fix it. $, just like the rest of them. Greener pastures in zombie land, I suppose. That's what it feels like. I'd love for them to prove me wrong, but, my skepticism is based on years of evidence to the contrary. And, they deserve much bad press if this status quo remains after release, and these issues persist without recognition. Tired of this issue being clouded in hundreds of pages long threads with misinformation providing cover for what is actually the root of the issue. And, it ain't Arma being too hoss, or someones quad titan setup needing an upgrade, alpha, or meaningless launch parameters. It is a fundamental issue with their game. When you ignore THE #1 most important, most reported, most voted issue that spans years and multiple games, it says something very damning in my view, and that fact should not be ignored. They could easily lessen the concern among the player base if they wanted to. There must be a reason they aren't.

This is supposed to be one of the last bastions for PC gamers.

This thread has no other purpose but to continue to highlight the inaction and lack of acknowledgement from BIS of the #1 issue with their games. There is no secret fix hiding in this thread, no magical upgrade, no special launch parameter, no downgrading of your graphics settings. The issue is in their hands, and theirs alone. Folks should know before they spend money on this game that it may be a crap shoot as to whether or not it is playable for them.

A potentially epic game relegated to little more than playing small user made missions. Do they not realize how many more people might come to Arma world if this issue did not persist?

I really want to love this game. I wanted to love Arma 2. And, if they actually do manage to address this issue, I'll be the first one praising them for it. Until then, folks deserve to know what they are getting into before they put dollars down. And, we only have past experience and evidence to base our conclusions off of at this point.

Edited by Mobile_Medic

As stated by me many time I have been a fanboy of ARMA since OFP days LOL damn I got the demo the second I could then the full game then expansions and so on to ARMA3.

But now I am all so getting worried because as all so stated this was an issue with ARMA 2 lack of resource usage and I think we was told it could not be fixed due to engine limitations (correct me if I am wrong) but TBH I thought ok well ARMA 2 was released before dual cores and quad cores went mainstream so all forgiven.

But now it seems the same problem is evident in ARMA 3 why....? no idea and I am a little gutted about it.Ok its an ALPHA but tbh I am starting to think we wont get a fix...maybe some optimizing but its never going to fully fix the real issue.

For me this game can run ok some times but really no where near what it should or could.

MP for me is pointless I dont bother with it as I get 15fps on some missions I have joined in on.

SP can run ok but if it used the resources better it would really improve this sim so so much.

So I suppose untill we hear back from a DEV we cant say for sure but I am starting to loose hope :(

I would really like an update also. I haven't played the game in almost a month because its just unplayable for me.

...But now it seems the same problem is evident in ARMA 3 why....? no idea and I am a little gutted about it.Ok its an ALPHA but tbh I am starting to think we wont get a fix...maybe some optimizing but its never going to fully fix the real issue.

bolded above = nail, head and hit.

who said immediate fixes? an acknowledgement would be nice for starters. years long issue. The most reported, most up-voted issue. a "new" engine. same problems. no acknowledgement. Their "known issues" of the "most obvious" issues in feedback tracker doesn't list it, et , etc, etc. That is what people are responding to. If you know what you stated is false, please don't provide cover for the issue by stating fallacies.

p.s. some of us "newcomers" have been around. Not everyone gets involved in forum life. I only did this time b/c I expected this would be the first and most important issue addressed with their so-called "new" engine, and yet, same ole, same ole. And, I paid for this, and they want feedback. If this continues to be the status quo from BIS, the 33 they got from me will be the last they ever see from me. And, I definitely would not recommend this game to anyone if they present the same attitude about this issue, and the release version has the same issues. I couldn't in good faith recommend a friend spend money on something that is likely to be a crap shoot if it is playable for them or not. This is some EA caliber nonsense. There is mountains of evidence to the contrary that they will even acknowledge, let alone attempt to fix. Just saying "alpha" doesn't mean anything at this point given the years that this issue has persisted. And, saying as much (without the devs giving us any new information to counter that reality) does little more than provide cover for their lack of attention to this. Something that is made even worse by the fact that they actually *do* regularly patch their games, yet ignore the fundamental issue that we all know they know about. Until then, I'ma keep bringing it up until they have something meaningful to say about it. either, we know and we are working on it. Or, we don't give a shit, or we don't have the skills to fix it. $, just like the rest of them. Greener pastures in zombie land, I suppose. That's what it feels like. I'd love for them to prove me wrong, but, my skepticism is based on years of evidence to the contrary. And, they deserve much bad press if this status quo remains after release, and these issues persist without recognition. Tired of this issue being clouded in hundreds of pages long threads with misinformation providing cover for what is actually the root of the issue. And, it ain't Arma being too hoss, or someones quad titan setup needing an upgrade, alpha, or meaningless launch parameters. It is a fundamental issue with their game. When you ignore THE #1 most important, most reported, most voted issue that spans years and multiple games, it says something very damning in my view, and that fact should not be ignored. They could easily lessen the concern among the player base if they wanted to. There must be a reason they aren't.

This is supposed to be one of the last bastions for PC gamers.

This thread has no other purpose but to continue to highlight the inaction and lack of acknowledgement from BIS of the #1 issue with their games. There is no secret fix hiding in this thread, no magical upgrade, no special launch parameter, no downgrading of your graphics settings. The issue is in their hands, and theirs alone. Folks should know before they spend money on this game that it may be a crap shoot as to whether or not it is playable for them.

A potentially epic game relegated to little more than playing small user made missions. Do they not realize how many more people might come to Arma world if this issue did not persist?

I really want to love this game. I wanted to love Arma 2. And, if they actually do manage to address this issue, I'll be the first one praising them for it. Until then, folks deserve to know what they are getting into before they put dollars down. And, we only have past experience and evidence to base our conclusions off of at this point.

well said mobil medic, I was all gunho when A3 came out, spent hours upon hours trying to learn scripting and putting missions together and $150 just to get an old rig in working order to make a server, till i found out the performance issues are not new and have been around for years......I guess having thre 8800gt on the list of minum requirments should have been a tell all in and of it self....that card came out in 2007...

I don't want immediate fixes or anything, But this problem has gone on for at least 3 iterations of the RV engine though if not more. It's a mix of impatience with frustration that for all intents is kind of justified and warranted.

RV Engine is horrible it always will be horrible a few optimized tweaks here and there but don't expect too much more

ARMA ARMA 2 & 3 will only run flawlessly when our systems are a couple CPU generations ahead 3-5+ years or so

take Morrowwind elders scroll for example that was a terrible engine which most computers struggled to get a decent frame rate out of it for years

now my intel 3570 k eats it for breakfast.

and that game has terrible optimization,

Bohemia have a track record of still to this date poorly optimized games so everyone thinking that there will be this special fix that will skyrocket your FPS up to a

" Steady " 60 + FPS during frantic warfare

as Darryl Kerrigan from the castle put's it perfectly

Tell em there dreaming....

ALPHA is ALPHA yes! but Bohemia Alpha is end product with some minor tweaks

so in conclusion enough with the ranting and countless threads of trolls & fanboys trying to protect or destroy the Bohemia legacy

you know the destiny

you decide..... if you stay or go.

That was true for Arma2, when there was space to improve our CPU space, actually there's no more space and the future is ablut multi-threads (multi cores), the CPU speed won't increase beyond this (it's not convenient, and it would be stupid), so if they doesn't fix the current engine, this game will NEVER run fine, nor today neither in 5 years (there's chance that it do exactly the opposite, since the trend is less mhz and more cores).

well perhaps we should just get ready this

Could anyone link to the comment where the developers said this;

"Yes it is bad, but no it won't (can't) be fixed in OA according to repeated statements of Suma, BI's lead programmer."

Could anyone link to the comment where the developers said this;

"Yes it is bad, but no it won't (can't) be fixed in OA according to repeated statements of Suma, BI's lead programmer."

https://dev-heaven.net/issues/6963

i have less than 1 hr of playtime because of this. how do i go about obtaining a refund? im done waiting.

Maybe one day when we get 5 fps and the game is completely unplayable, it won't be too much work to fix. :banghead:

I can't believe that they didn't realized this BEFORE opening this alpha to the public. How's possible that none from the dev team didn't noticed a so big issue? And if they noticed it: why they didn't make it clear from the start? Were they hoping we wouldn't have noticed a problem that exists by 4 years already? This is even worse than those EA marketing strategy.

I can't believe that they didn't realized this BEFORE opening this alpha to the public. How's possible that none from the dev team didn't noticed a so big issue? And if they noticed it: why they didn't make it clear from the start? Were they hoping we wouldn't have noticed a problem that exists by 4 years already? This is even worse than those EA marketing strategy.

It performs similar to arma 2. They never said it would run much better. Operation flashpoint wasn't a high fps title. So maybe you could say it's a 12 year old problem. Not really a problem, more a design choice.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

i have less than 1 hr of playtime because of this. how do i go about obtaining a refund? im done waiting.

well, contact support where you bought it, I guess steam?

It performs similar to arma 2. They never said it would run much better. Operation flashpoint wasn't a high fps title. So maybe you could say it's a 12 year old problem. Not really a problem, more a design choice.

high FPS? i thinkk we would all be happy with a SOLID! 30....and deisign choice? I would not call failing to evolve your engine to take advantage of mainstream (quad core) hardware over the last 4 years a design choice....more like a HUGE mistake.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

well, contact support where you bought it, I guess steam?

i ll try contacting steam thx.

Not really a problem, more a design choice.

Basically a suicide? Unfortunately they decided to suicide taking our money with them eheh.

Not really a problem, more a design choice

I'm sorry, but how on earth did you arrive at that conclusion? Poor fps has NOTHING to do with art direction or "design choice" as you put it. That's just a silly, uninformed statement to make.

A better statement would be that this is a technical issue, exacerbated by accepted standards in multiplayer performance, that hinders greatly the user experience of the game.

Nuff said ;)

wow can't believe people are still debating this. I don't believe the game's main issue is going to be addressed from performance point of view at all. 3 years time you'll play the game so it feels fluid and runs well enough on whatever systems are out at that time.

They knew what they were doing. It's a business and it's a very clever way of getting money out of people before the official release. It seems to be a trend at the moment. The die hard fans here aren't of benefit to the series. If only people expected more. The game is simply a graphics overhaul. Nothing more than that.

wow can't believe people are still debating this. I don't believe the game's main issue is going to be addressed from performance point of view at all. 3 years time you'll play the game so it feels fluid and runs well enough on whatever systems are out at that time.

They knew what they were doing. It's a business and it's a very clever way of getting money out of people before the official release. It seems to be a trend at the moment. The die hard fans here aren't of benefit to the series. If only people expected more. The game is simply a graphics overhaul. Nothing more than that.

Who do you think will buy a full price game and play it after a few years? Some will cope while others will tell their friends and write on forums that A3 is turd in MP performance wise. Low sales are worse than actually hiring some people to optimize, bring some new ideas and iron out the bugs.