k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

Well here's a couple logs I took while running a static mission in ArmA 3. One is with a normal view distance of 2500, the other is a view distance of 10,000 using the same mission and scenario. You will need a way to read CSV files, I use Notepad ++ and TestFX, but Open Office should be able to read it as well.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7IenZ_SotmZbFhyU0FFYnpMdGc/edit?usp=sharing

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7IenZ_SotmZdVpWUE5YN0kyblE/edit?usp=sharing

I go from the loading screen to the editor to the mission. You can see the usage drop as I do that. At loading screen I'm at 100% across all cores, in the editor I'm at almost 90% on one core while the rest hover around 50% or less, once in the mission, where the usage drops to 3.4 for a second, it drops. Also look at the GPU usage. GPU core load spikes up and then is constantly going between 40% and 10%. This is on a GTX 480 and Phenom II x4 965 @ 3.8ghz.

*If your system is stressing to hard test temperature

*you may want to add a cooling fan

* you may want to clean your processor more drasticaly,

*buy cooler master its some sort of pasta to put on your processor

Kevin

That's where I've been going wrong. Will penne do?

Maybe i have missed it, but did anyone make some tests with the "Threaded Optimization" option at nvidia drivers 3d settings?

I have it (and many other tweaks) enabled and my system runs with around 20-50 fps at very high/ultra settings (with several addons).

CPU utilization is about 50%-60% (Q9550 OC: 3.6ghz).

Edited by Predator.v2

*Defrag on regular base

*Shut down background programs not used

*Dust out your pc and keep it clean

*Fidle with your game settings (this may take some time)

*If your system is stressing to hard test temperature

*you may want to add a cooling fan

* you may want to clean your processor more drasticaly,

*buy cooler master its some sort of pasta to put on your processor

you forgot :

http://img.wowebook.com/images/32890818.jpg (111 kB)

seriously, if you dont read the whole topic first, dont post.

-------

since these were posted on a few other topics about the same issue, and for some reason arent closed, ill just post this here aswell since this is the main topic about it:

http://gamegpu.ru/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/ARMA%20III%20Alpha/test/arma%203%20proz%20h.jpg (124 kB)

http://gamegpu.ru/images/stories/Test_GPU/Action/ARMA%20III%20Alpha/test/arma%203%20proz%20amd.jpg (120 kB)

"A game can fully load only two processing cores. The number of cores the load is distributed between them virtually no effect on the performance itself. If, before the release optimization is not corrected, it will be put to doubt the purchase ARMA III."

http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/arma-iii-alpha-test-gpu/testovaya-chast.html

Edited by white

Maybe i have missed it, but did anyone make some tests with the "Threaded Optimization" option at nvidia drivers 3d settings?

I've tried it both on, off, and auto and it doesn't seem to affect anything.

seriously, if you dont read the whole topic first, dont post.

But as you seem unable to post in a civil manner, considering your posting history, maybe you should consider to apply this advice to yourself.

Edited by ProfTournesol

But as you seem unable to post in a civil manner, considering your posting history, maybe you should consider to apply this advice to yourself.

since ive read the whole topic, i do follow my advice, genius.

I know I would certainly appreciate it, and many others as well, if the pathetic squabbling going on in the last few pages were to cease and the topic at hand remains the current focus.

Is there a fix for this problem yet ? I dont wanna read every single page =/

i have Core i5 3570K 4.3ghz

Sapphire HD6850 (not the best but should run the game smooth)

8GB Ram 1600 mhz

The problem is not Wasteland. That's not the only thing causing performance issues. How many times are you going to say that. If you don't have anything meaningful to add, then just shut up and don't comment. All of your posts are spam posts criticizing people who are having performance issues. Just because you run the game perfectly fine does not mean that there's no problem with the game, and it doesn't mean that user's PC are to blame for the engine's problems.

would your please post you specs?

It runs just about ok with my i52500k and HD6950 @ 1080p, but it only uses 50-60% of 1 core and about 20-30% of the other 3.

It is the only modern game I have that doesn't use all my gpu. And it REALLY lags anywhere around agina marina, there is defnitely a problem with that whole area for me.

Strangely the server browser uses 100% gpu and cpu!

Is there a fix for this problem yet ? I dont wanna read every single page =/

i have Core i5 3570K 4.3ghz

Sapphire HD6850 (not the best but should run the game smooth)

8GB Ram 1600 mhz

Get 2400mhz ram, ditch the Radeon for a GTX670 & you're good to go!

Terrible advice man.

wont do much, will be quite expensive.

It runs just about ok with my i52500k and HD6950 @ 1080p, but it only uses 50-60% of 1 core and about 20-30% of the other 3.

It is the only modern game I have that doesn't use all my gpu. And it REALLY lags anywhere around agina marina, there is defnitely a problem with that whole area for me.

Strangely the server browser uses 100% gpu and cpu!

It doesn't even come close to 100%, 50% max. Yeah, Bohemia is doing a very good job in losing it's community. How can you be this ignorant?! After the huge amount of complaints about this problem in ArmA 2 they still have the balls to use the 12-year old engine. It's freaking 2013. Games don't run at 40 FPS, Low settings on uber gaming rigs. One thing is sure. I am not going to buy another Bohemia game! Even if the engine is improved, I'm still not going to do that. They don't deserve my money. I have a better system than required and I run the MP at 15 FPS. I don't think they can improve it so much that I can't play it at 30 FPS without making use of my cores and my GPU. And no way they are going to improve the engine lol They have our money.

Edited by guusert

Just tried out new version.

Screenshots of CPU and GPU utilization on 0.5k, 1k and 12k view distance:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/106806270/A3%20utilization/utilization_0_5k.png

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/106806270/A3%20utilization/utilization_1k.png

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/106806270/A3%20utilization/utilization_12k.png

(Q9550 oc: 3.6ghz, gtx 560ti-448 oc:880/2100)

Runs with around 75% CPU utilization and 95% GPU on 500m viewdistance (very high/ultra settings in Agia Marina on around 50fps).

Just editor with player set.

Edited by Predator.v2

Runs with around 75% CPU utilization and 95% GPU on 500m viewdistance (very high/ultra settings in Agia Marina on around 50fps).

That's better, tomorrow I'll buy that game and check how it handle on my pc..

Wysyłane z mojego Nexus 7 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

just took this.

exactly the same as day 1.

same usage, same fps. 2k view distance.

lzV5B5J.jpg

to me, when/if they release an update that deals with performance, i believe theyll be very clear about it.

Edited by white

That's better, tomorrow I'll buy that game and check how it handle on my pc..

Wysyłane z mojego Nexus 7 za pomocą Tapatalk 2

You just take that? You don't know these people. He's lying or he had the same CPU utilization before the update. Same performance as before and 0% performance increase when changing video settings which depend on GPU.

I don't know what kind of update it is, but it's clearly not a performance update. They should be focussing 100% on performance right now. Priority number 1! You buy a game to play it. You can make an awesome game, but if people can't play it, what's the purpose of it?

Just editor with player set.

Your screenshots pretty much outline the problem. The more the CPU/GPU has to do, the less they actually are utilized. It's backwards.

One thing I never see mentioned in any tweak guides is adjusting the options in the video cards control panel. Settings in there can also have an impact on performance.

If you have a NVIDIA card download and use NVIDIA Inspector as it offers more options. Or GPU-Z for both ATI or NVIDIA brands.

Edited by SIMJEDI

You got to be fucking kidding me. At least 75% of the ArmA 3 owners, if not 90% is having this terrible FPS. And everyone is having this utilization issue. Though AMD owners seem to get totally screwed.
I was talking specifically about people complaining about 6- 8- cores being underutilized, NOT that the issue didn't also exist for others with 2- and 4- cores. Why don't you try to follow my logic before ranting next time, if you can...
My mother's laptop runs this better than my PC -.- Even 2x better. The lappy has an i5-3230M and a GT 645M and runs the game at Low or Ultra at 30 FPS. . That hardware is worse than my PC's. I have a Phenom II X4 955 (OC'd from 3.2 to 3.8 Ghz) and a GTX 460. I run this game at Low or Ultra at 15 FPS. Looks like Bohemia hates AMD.
Well, don't buy AMD if you want to do gaming. That's been true for some years now. Besides the fact they've been uncompetitive for a couple years at least now, they only have 25% of the market, so smaller developers aren't going to spend as much resources on optimizing for them as they are for the bulk of their customers, who are using Intels.
90% of the CPU is not utilized, only 1 core uses 60%.
My quadcore is seeing perfectly even usage now. Have you tried the -cpucount= parameter in your startup? Basically, you've bought a processor that almost no one else owns, and you expect development studios to optimize for your 3% clique. Good luck with that reasoning in life in general, but it's only going to end up giving you more frustration than it's worth. Consider this a life lesson. Don't buy cutting edge next time.
Since you run A3 just fine, why are you posting here? Clearly this thread is not geared toward you. Posts like this do nothing to help people who are actually having issues.
Actually, knowing what works is as important as knowing what doesn't work.
What are you trying to say? Doesn't change the fact that A3 only utilizes a third of what BF3 can utilize.
What are you trying to say? Easy game, this. May I direct you to "substantive internet posting for dummies"? Check Amazon for it. It will be helpful in your future as well.

I was talking specifically about people complaining about 6- 8- cores being underutilized, NOT that the issue didn't also exist for others with 2- and 4- cores. Why don't you try to follow my logic before ranting next time, if you can...

Well, don't buy AMD if you want to do gaming. That's been true for some years now. Besides the fact they've been uncompetitive for a couple years at least now, they only have 25% of the market, so smaller developers aren't going to spend as much resources on optimizing for them as they are for the bulk of their customers, who are using Intels.

My quadcore is seeing perfectly even usage now. Have you tried the -cpucount= parameter in your startup? Basically, you've bought a processor that almost no one else owns, and you expect development studios to optimize for your 3% clique. Good luck with that reasoning in life in general, but it's only going to end up giving you more frustration than it's worth. Consider this a life lesson. Don't buy cutting edge next time.

What are you trying to say? Easy game, this. May I direct you to "substantive internet posting for dummies"? Check Amazon for it. It will be helpful in your future as well.

Too bad. The game is fucked and sure enough, its not my fault. Because 1 cpu core being half utilized isn't my fault, that is the developers fault. I honestly don't care what you think because every night you come into this thread and shove your massive ego around in order to somehow impress the people who actually have issues with the game.

What is your goal/end game here? Obviously if there are 100 pages in this single thread your opinion is meaningless and the wider majority are having fps issues. Its not just AMD users you fool. Intel users are also having the same issues, i7 users are having issues. Because the CPU isn't properly utilized, the more you do the less it utilizes your CPU and GPU. It makes no sense. "Oh yeah I get playable FPS with my overclocked i5 2500K", yet it still utilizes only a fraction of the CPU's power and thus you are only getting marginable performance out of your expensive hardware.

If you're going to defend that then please do us a favour and leave.

Edited by Planetside

Please, if you're going to be here, please contribute more than just bashing everyone who's got an issue with the game. The game isn't optimized. That's not some magic word. Yes, games can be optimized and they can be unoptimized. The mere fact that there are some servers that perform better than others speaks to that. Now, I've improved my performance by turning up some settings to high, very high, or ultra. I've played on MP servers that have missions that are more optimized by turning default view distance and object detail down. That's optimization too. But beyond that, there's not more I can do. My GPU Load still drops down from 99% after some time playing (usually 10 to 20 mins), and that's when I experience severe FPS drops. I can't help that (I don't think). The game is still way too CPU dependent. Can some of that change? Yes, by BIS making sure that graphical features are handled by the GPU. By BIS tweaking the engine. Fact is, there's only so much the user can do. Yes, the user can do something to improve the game, but so can BIS. They've done some work, but for me I'd like for them to acknowledge that there's a years-old problem with their engine, and I'd like for them to start working on a solution. Not asking that they fix it tomorrow, but that they start to fix it and list it as a top known issue, because it is a top-known issue. Otherwise, it wouldn't be the most upvoted ticket on the Feedback tracker.

I confirm that my FPS improved in MP (did not check SP) since the last patch that was yesterday 25th (not DEV one).

My FPS before the patch on Wasteland (No patch at all):

Min and Max FPS i had or saw = 14 FPS - 35 FPS , In town = 14 FPS - 18 FPS (Average 16 FPS) , At Air Base = 14 FPS- 20 FPS (Average 18 FPS) , Far from town 19 FPS - 24 FPS (Average 20 FPS) , While looking at the ground being far from town= 35 FPS

My FPS After the last patch on Wasteland (No DEV patches):

Min and Max FPS i had or saw = 20 FPS - 55 FPS , In town = 19 FPS - 30 FPS (Average 20 FPS) , At Air Base = 20 FPS- 33 FPS (Average 24 FPS) , Far from town 21 FPS - 37 FPS (Average 26 FPS) , While looking at the ground being far from town= 55 FPS

As you can notice the Max FPS did change more than Minimal FPS unfortunatelly thus in result jumps in FPS are huge now.Also forgot to mention that sometimes happens that FPS drops to 5 or even 0 but it is very rare and lasts about 2 - 5 secs.

Test was done on the same Wasteland servers with the same amount of players online on the server , unfortunatelly i do not have screens since i have no desire to uninstal the game and install it again just to make screenshots before patch and most probably even if i uninstall and install Arma 3 it will install alredy with the last patch included.

Good job BIS but it is still not enought , need at least 30 FPS in the town on the recomended rig for smooth gameplay. I know my rig is old but at least it is recomended by Devs.

My rig:

I7 920 2.6 GHz

6GB of DDR 3 999 MHz (since my proc does not support more)

GeForce 560 Ti 1GB ram (MSI one)

No SSD

Edited by tamernator