k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

This is as misleading as it can get. This software was actually tested and conclusion was no measurable performance gain existed. I'm not saying you didn't get performance gain, but if you did, it means there is something seriously wrong on your side, if this software helps you.

With GamesBooster it switches off background processes, this is a reason why soo many have major problems with fps. That’s probably why he saw an increase in performance, had too many processes running in the background unchecked.

_______

The idea of good gaming is to use, if pos a gaming pc, then keep it lean & clean. If your using a pc that is also used for everyday things, then you have to be even more keen on maintaining your pc, defrag, registry clean, shut down processes that are not needed while your gaming, turn the pc settings down and the power up, etc.

Players get online then wonder, why’s it not running well, they forget the other dozen programs or so that are trying to update at the same time in the background, just turn them off..

Concerning the amd cat 13.2, I stopped at 12.1 a while back, it gave great performance, so I saw no reason to jeopardise that, still giving great performance.;)

It sucks, but this issue took a lot of the enthusiasm out of testing the multiplayer. I dare say most I know have put ARMA 3 on the back burner until this issue is resolved. "let's not play a game of slideshow simulator" seems to be the running joke. All we can really do is poke around the edges of this problem on our end, BI are the ones who can rectify it.

And in that endeavour, I truly wish them luck and god's speed! (emphasis on the god's speed! :p )

With GamesBooster it switches off background processes, this is a reason why soo many have major problems with fps. That’s probably why he saw an increase in performance, had too many processes running in the background unchecked.

_______

The idea of good gaming is to use, if pos a gaming pc, then keep it lean & clean. If your using a pc that is also used for everyday things, then you have to be even more keen on maintaining your pc, defrag, registry clean, shut down processes that are not needed while your gaming, turn the pc settings down and the power up, etc.

Players get online then wonder, why’s it not running well, they forget the other dozen programs or so that are trying to update at the same time in the background, just turn them off..

Concerning the amd cat 13.2, I stopped at 12.1 a while back, it gave great performance, so I saw no reason to jeopardise that, still giving great performance.;)

Do you do voodoo magic too? Because on modern PC your advices do absolutely nothing. Maybe 1-2% percent performance gain max. We are not running 200MHz Pentiums anymore. For example on my rig background processes take 0-1% of available CPU resources when the CPU is in idle state (1.6GHz clocks). When I start gaming the CPU clock goes to 4.3GHz. Background processes have no impact on my rig.

Some people really want to defend companies making games by shifting the blame on customers and their PCs.

DO NOT DEFRAG SSD

Edited by aop

What about "defrag, registry clean", you're missing his point. He was addressing the so called benefits of using such voodoo software to boost your rig performance, which would only benefit those which do not give proper maintenance to a work/gaming rig.

If what he mentions does not apply to your rig... then it does not apply, don't get all jumpy :)

we don't recognize the problem ?

the sole fact we are discussing it, means we're aware of 'things that shall be improved' ...

anyway like I said before one of reason the low FPS is linked to some other problems we found in engine ...

Progress!

I look forward to the next patch. I get decent framerates with my machine right now, but not with all servers.

I'd be happy with improved performance as well as apparently the foretold improvements when dedicated servers are up?

anyway like I said before one of reason the low FPS is linked to some other problems we found in engine ...

after that's solved we can return on the 'efficiency' discussion

Could you keep us updated on this? Unless it's a secret. :D Could turn into Good PR, if it's something "minor", which had been overlooked during the implementation of some new systems like physics or new AI logic.

the sole fact we are discussing it, means we're aware of 'things that shall be improved' ...

Awesome. Don't listen to the haters, I think all most of us wanted to hear was that it was being worked on. :)

just something to think about, are you aware AMD drivers seems to lack any/good enough support for DX11 Multithreading features ?

yes, the technology Civilization 5 developers were so proud about (it forced in 2011 even NVIDIA to add it into drivers)

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33976408

now when one realize that thread is being discussed already 2 years, then I wonder why there isn't huge crowd of 'users' demanding it ;)

afaik the MT drivers optimizations exist only for DX9 titles, while for 10/11 they did disabled them or just used minor tweaks

Does this mean Arma 3 is making use of DX 11's MT features? If so, what specifically get run through it, just the physics or other stuff like ballistics and ai?

ignore detectedFrames, that's written by engine (in OA) but afaik ignored in A3

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

you fail to realize that 100% usage cores don't mean 100% efficiency of the code ... I can just create dozens threads to stall all cores and they will do nothing ... so stop talking in terms of % cpu usage but efficiency of use of MT on multiple native cores/cpus w/e

let me just post this here again:

2 Cores Enabled: GPU usage = 27% / CPU usage = 99.8% / FPS = 31

4 Cores Enabled: GPU usage = 76% / CPU usage = 91.1% / FPS = 47

6 Cores Enabled: GPU usage = 95% / CPU usage = 89.7% / FPS = 70

based on the fps increase anyone can gather those arent wasted cpu cycles in loop to increase usage by faking it.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18459152

to replicate you have to underclock the cpu because the cpu isnt a bottleneck in most games, its the gpu. well the info is on the link.

+++

btw. just something to think about, are you aware AMD drivers seems to lack any/good enough support for DX11 Multithreading features ?

yes, the technology Civilization 5 developers were so proud about (it forced in 2011 even NVIDIA to add it into drivers)

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33976408

now when one realize that thread is being discussed already 2 years, then I wonder why there isn't huge crowd of 'users' demanding it ;)

afaik the MT drivers optimizations exist only for DX9 titles, while for 10/11 they did disabled them or just used minor tweaks

i dont, most games just work with great fps when you have the hardware to use it, so i dont even waste time considering what they did wrong, assuming they did anything wrong. unlike arma 2 and now arma 3, that leaves most people with high end hardware wondering what the hell is going on, and having a hard time to get anything more than misterious statements about it. but yes, im hopefull you guys will be able to get a noticeable increase in fps to finally make a game with respectable performance. dont get me wront, the concept for arma is great, im fine with the graphics, animations, missions. havent complained ever about any of it (well maybe ive complained about hackers on arma 2). but performance its another history.

but yes, sometimes developers screw things up, crysis 3 beta had a bad fps issue that they fixed in less than a week i believe, sim city was a disaster and they endedup giving away free games for it, theres a handfull more that i can recall. most of them where quickly fixed with a couple of exceptions. and most of them are pretty quick to make a public statement about recognizing the issue and promissing to fix it, but like i said, sure there are exceptions.

but were all good, since its still an alpha, its not like it will be another arma 2 all over again, right?

just a tip, since you guys dont want to make a statement about whats the problem, what are you doing about it, how much performance increase people might expect and maybe how long it will take, and not because you have to, but because you can, you know, to enlighten and fullfill peoples curiosity, people unavoidably will wonder and discuss the things they come up with on their own, its in our nature to try to figure things out, especially when theres a problem. you guys have all the power in your hands to end this discussion about performance, you dont because you apparently simply dont want to. but of course thats entirely your choice.

imho people are just afraid of having to deal with arma 2´s problems again.

Edited by white

could you elaborate on this one please?

What is there to elaborate on? Both that link and my post explain what CPU utilization is a measurement of.

I just installed Catalyst 13.3B2 and set the prerender limit to 1.

Not sure what of those two things did it, but my CPU usage went quite a bit up, spiked over 50%. Not bad on an Octacore.

Improve on the threading a bit more and I'll love you, BIS :3

Edited by HatBuster

let me just post this here again:

2 Cores Enabled: GPU usage = 27% / CPU usage = 99.8% / FPS = 31

4 Cores Enabled: GPU usage = 76% / CPU usage = 91.1% / FPS = 47

6 Cores Enabled: GPU usage = 95% / CPU usage = 89.7% / FPS = 70

based on the fps increase anyone can gather those arent wasted cpu cycles in loop to increase usage by faking it.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18459152

ArmA 3 FPS would skyrocket if utilization was this good. Too bad we can't even get 50% of this utilization level, gotta admit EA can do at least some things right.

I have Q6600 OC to 3,4 Ghz

ATI 4890

DDR3 8 GB

and I have 13-21 FPS or lower in battle, when nothing is goin on I coudl have 40-50 FPS

Set up are standard and low.

Shadow dissabled, no AA, no AF, no shadows...etc..

CPU never 100 % used, or GPU.

In this particular case I have

core 1 - 85%

core 2 - 76

core 3 75

core 4 84

GPU - ONLY 39-50 % !!?!?!

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/6602/armaiii.jpg (220 kB)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Surprisingly, somehow I'm now getting 99% GPU load (did some tweaks with Intel Extreme Tuning Utility). Using the Infantry showcase to try different settings, but seems like after playing for 5 - 7 minutes, the GPU load decreases and alternates anywhere between 90% and 60% load. During this time, FPS drops by 10 frames (from like 40 to 30). I also experience stuttering every couple of seconds. If I'm just sitting there, eventually it'll go back to 99% load and I'll see the FPS jump back up 10 fps.

All that is to definitively say this:

FPS increases with GPU load, Memory Controller load, and CPU utilization. I am using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility and TechPowerUp GPU-Z and I've noticed that when my CPU Utilization Percentage (seen in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility), GPU Load Percentage (GPU-Z), and Memory Controller Load Percentage (GPU-Z) are high, in-game FPS is higher. When they are lower, FPS is lower. I'm not going to mention my hardware, because that changes with the individual (most everything on low, except PiP, Texture detail, SMAA, Dynamic Lights, Object Detail, and Terrain Detail. OD and TD on standard because MP has that anyway), but the more ArmA 3 can utilize the CPU, the better it will perform. The more it can utilize the GPU, the better it will perform. Hopefully BIS can get ArmA3 to a state where it is better utilizing the CPU.

Just a word on AMD 13.3 beta and crossfire.

I have HD 6870s in crossfire and prior to 13.3 I'd get more max GPU utilization but lower min utilzation, so more sporadic performance.

Wiith 13.3 I get constant 50% utilization on each card.

Either way performance isn't great (FPS ranging from 20fps all the way up to 80+, with the avg being around 30), tho it's not unexpected considering this is alpha.

(i5 3750k at stock - OC=crash for me)

I just received an email from feedback.arma3.com about my low performance issues. It was just about the fact that my ticket was a duplicate of another, so they were taking it down, which is fine. But the good news is that they've 'assigned' the main performance issue ticket to someone called "dazhbog". So that now should mean that they've recognized the performance issues, and they are looking into it.

It may take quite awhile for them to sort it out, but it's reassuring that BI has finally recognized the issues with the engine, and they are looking into it!

Just a word on AMD 13.3 beta and crossfire.

I have HD 6870s in crossfire and prior to 13.3 I'd get more max GPU utilization but lower min utilzation, so more sporadic performance.

Wiith 13.3 I get constant 50% utilization on each card.

Either way performance isn't great (FPS ranging from 20fps all the way up to 80+, with the avg being around 30), tho it's not unexpected considering this is alpha.

(i5 3750k at stock - OC=crash for me)

the game is probably not causing the crash did youo do burn in with prime95 for atleast a few hours?

Just a quick tip for anyone who gets flipped out mid-game by the Do you want to change the color scheme to improve performance? dialog.

HRVsT.png

To stop this from happening, locate ArmA3.exe, right-click on it and select Properties then under Compatibility check the Disable desktop composition option. Windows will automatically switch to (non-Aero) performance mode when you launch ArmA and switch back again when you exit.

My two cents....

Running Fraps when joining a server and Fps started out at an acceptable 35-45 frames, gradually the performance degraded for all players in the server down to 21-22 over a 30 min period. Another 30 minutes and we were all getting about 12 Fps.

Lighty

Defunkt

Thanks will give it a go keep getting this and its anyoing.

I have Q6600 OC to 3,4 Ghz

ATI 4890

DDR3 8 GB

and I have 13-21 FPS or lower in battle, when nothing is goin on I coudl have 40-50 FPS

Set up are standard and low.

Shadow dissabled, no AA, no AF, no shadows...etc..

CPU never 100 % used, or GPU.

In this particular case I have

core 1 - 85%

core 2 - 76

core 3 75

core 4 84

GPU - ONLY 39-50 % !!?!?!

http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/6602/armaiii.jpg (220 kB)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Don't expect 100% cpu usage with a quadcore in a game and your gpu is at 40/50 % because of cpu bottleneck and your graphic settings.

Also I'm suprised that your cpu usage reach 80% while most of people in this thread including me report 60% at max.

Someone has any thoughts on this ?

Don't expect 100% cpu usage with a quadcore in a game and your gpu is at 40/50 % because of cpu bottleneck and your graphic settings.

Also I'm suprised that your cpu usage reach 80% while most of people in this thread including me report 60% at max.

His core2 is showing it's age is all.

I can prove youre wrong.

I can send you print screen when i get home, from WOT game, where CPU is 80-90 on one core, others are less than 50%, and GPU is constantly 98-99,9%

Seem to me that GPU is botleneck in my case.

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:17 AM ----------

His core2 is showing it's age is all.

Only on ARMA 2 and 3 ...other games still runs over 30-40 FPS..

the game is probably not causing the crash did youo do burn in with prime95 for atleast a few hours?
you think after "burn in" with prime the cpu will work at higher clocks? You misunderstand the word "burn in" in this context completely. prime is a stress test, a worsed case scenario with maximum utilization and heat for all cores.