k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

let me spread some 'light' into 'darkness' :) the low cpu utilization most likely (nearly in fact) has nothing to do with low FPS

so while some of the concerns and complains about MT (multithreading) are valid they not exactly linked to actual low FPS in Arma 3 Alpha

I can't believe a highly decorated developer as yourself would make such a profound lie. This is nonsense, admit your mistakes, or at least do mention it in your third edition of SITREP.

Example-

Open editor and add 1 unit = 70fps, add 20- 30 AI = 30 fps or less.

What else can i assume if this is not the issue ?

Indeed. They've got no idea whatsoever why this irritates at least me to the extreme, well a quick answer then: laziness.

Hi, Dwarden. Can you shed any light on what may be the cause?

let us first analyze and fix it :) then we will see/talk more ;)

Ohh now this is the answer we have been waiting for hope to hear some good news soon :)

Example-

Open editor and add 1 unit = 70fps, add 20- 30 AI = 30 fps or less.

What else can i assume if this is not the issue ?

please add the following: with 20-30 AI the cpu-usage is LOWER than with 1 unit.....since arma(1)

edit:

a long time for analyzing...lol

Edited by JumpingHubert

All so add that CPU and GPU usage go up more when you press ESC once in game

All so ARMA 3 uses more CPU resources on start up then once actually in game

And here is one more thing (I am still testing this but so far its proven correct) When ingame and my GPU is at say 30% usage if I look at the floor in some cases it goes up I find that wierd but as soon as I look back into a city GPU usage goes back down again so does FPS

Edited by stk2008

sorry mate...this is built on ARMA 2 ...you have had plenty of time to "analyze and fix it"

sorry mate...this is built on ARMA 2 ...you have had plenty of time to "analyze and fix it"

There's no need for lies, if you can't optimize your engine nor put the effort into this just say so, that way we both (gamers and developers) would be better off, no more whine and we could all be playing something more productive. Here's a minor screenshoot I made while playing the Infantry Showcase: http://goo.gl/3b2uW wouldn't you say that this is in fact caused by this issue?

Edited by Raklodder

Wouldn't call it a lie... but if they admit they can't, then everyone will have to downsize at retail release: No more evo/domi/warfare.

It's very interesting how this game works... I have 4 cores and I actually see the rest of them being used a little bit more in certain areas (still no 90%+ which is what it should be).. Let me show you 2 pictures and how they react different as far as FPS and usage. In other scenes I have noticed that both gpu and cpu usage drop like a rock when AI are firing at eachother... so having them rendered isn't an issue but once they fight the gpu and cpu give up completely and then you see a performance drop. (this has been mentioned before but is a confirmed issue at this point)

Picture 1: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/846947854002207564/86034EBCF1A6BFDDD987A658938A136DE4FECEC1/

[GPU] 98%

[CPU]

Core: 80-85%

Core: 70-80%

Core: 50-65%

core: 50-60%

[FPS] 50

Picture 2: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/846947854002208699/6E4EEDE171B614A10F999B5E5E197557633BD461/

[GPU] 70-80%

[CPU]

Core: 86-92%

Core: 44-57%

Core: 34-46%

core: 25-42%

[FPS] 40

Settings:

res: 1920x1080 (render 100%)

overall - 5000

object - 1000

shadow - 100

vsync - (nvidia adaptive)

Antialiasing - x4

PPAA - FXAA Ultra

ATOC - All trees + grass

Post Processing - Low

HDR - Standard

Anistropic Filtering - Ultra

PIP - Ultra

Dynamic Lights - Ultra

Texture - Ultra

Objects - Ultra

Terrain - Very High

Cloud - Ultra

Shadow - Ultra

Particles - Very High

System:

M/B: Asrock z77 extreme 4

GPU: MSI 660 Twin Frozr

CPU: Intel i5-3570k ivy bridge

Ram: 8GB DDR3

Edited by Zyromkiru

In other scenes I have noticed that both gpu and cpu usage drop like a rock when AI are firing at eachother... so having them rendered isn't an issue but once they fight the gpu and cpu give up completely and then you see a performance drop.

Anyone know at which point infantry ragdolls become active? I'm guessing point of death/bullet penetration?

There's no need for lies, if you can't optimize your engine nor put the effort into this just say so, that way we both (gamers and developers) would be better off, no more whine and we could all be playing something more productive. Here's a minor screenshoot I made while playing the Infantry Showcase: http://goo.gl/3b2uW wouldn't you say that this is in fact caused by this issue?

Infantry showcase runs fine, not much going on. The problem is there were a lot of largescale missions in arma2 that get terrible performance in arma3 alpha.

great scaling to large numbers of cores would be nice but it's not a requirement, its a way to achieve a goal (decent performance)

---------- Post added at 03:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 AM ----------

Anyone know at which point infantry ragdolls become active? I'm guessing point of death/bullet penetration?

you think phsysX is part of the problem? could be. Anyway, performance is reasonable on my

, you'd think if it can do a couple hundred objects it'd be able to do a ragdoll once in a while.

maybe you can test by letting invincible ai fight. infantry doesn't have physX for walking around.

you think phsysX is part of the problem? could be.

I remember we had identical threads on this very same problem of underutilisation at ArmA II launch, but PhysX could be the straw on the proverbial camel's back this time.

Hope not.

P.S. Mind you, 32-player Warfare (By TeeTime) w/out AI run perfectly - I'm playing one right now, but add AI and it's all downhill from here.

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

What we really need is a legit benchmark mission like in ArmA 2 so we have consistent results between users. It would be ideal if it somehow tracked CPU and GPU utilization as well, so we could send this information to BIS directly.

This.

I remember we had identical threads on this very same problem of underutilisation at ArmA II launch, but PhysX could be the straw on the proverbial camel's back this time.

Hope not.

P.S. Mind you, 32-player Warfare (By TeeTime) w/out AI run perfectly - I'm playing one right now, but add AI and it's all downhill from here.

That's not the case with everyone, though. I doubt PhysX is the issue. If I put a few AI in the editor, there PhysX-affected deaths don't decrease my FPS. So I don't think it's the problem, at least, not for the MP fps issue.

Also, did anyone's performance worsen after the dev build patch? My framerate got lower. Also, seems to have affected the stable build as well.

Same Problem Low FPS. 17-30 mp & sp .

system specs:

CPU: Amd 965 BE stock

MOBO: Asus Crosshair v Formula Z

RAM:8GB GSKILL RIPJAWS sx

PSU: 650 watt XFX BE

GPU: GIGABYTE 7870 GHZ EDITION

SSD: 120GB KINGSTON HYPERX 3K

HDD:WDBE 1TB 7200 RPM

Edited by CaDiLLaC

I think it's a deeper issue with how the RV engine streams data from your HDD as it needs it rather than pre-loading into memory. The bandwidth needed to keep up with all the other processing tasks just isn't there an a HDD over a SATA connection and is probably even taxing on a very high speed SSD over a SATAIII connection.

I believe the main problem is: RV engine is too old and can't be optimized for new rigs, it simply needs to be redone from the begin, in a more modern way, and maybe this cannot be done, you can give your 80's favourite car to a good mechanic, but it will never become a new car, it will always have 80's components with all its issues related to components from 80's

EDIT: i'm surprised BTW, because i expected all the engine issues that are in ArmA 2 also, but ArmA 3 gives me, in the same video options settings i had in ArmA 2, a better FPS than ArmA 2

CPU: intel I7-950 @ 3,91 Ghz

RAM: 24 Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair vengance DDR 3

HDD: RAID 0 2x WD 500 Gb Caviar Green

MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth x58

GPU: 2x Palit GTX 560 SLI 2048 Vram Gddr5

Edited by Simon1279

Big problem and it should be fixed before release, if not then i am very disappointed about this game.

Only 50 % cpu usage and 60 % with gpu.

2500k 4,2ghz

GTX 670 OC

8 gb ddr3

SSD

This issue is currently the #1 highest voted on the tracker and has been assigned. (Link)

Make sure to vote it up. ;)

I think it's a deeper issue with how the RV engine streams data from your HDD as it needs it rather than pre-loading into memory. The bandwidth needed to keep up with all the other processing tasks just isn't there an a HDD over a SATA connection and is probably even taxing on a very high speed SSD over a SATAIII connection.

But the game is limited to how much memory it can address since it's a 32bit application that isn't large address aware.

I have the problem of low FPS aswell (never had more than 30), average 20FPS at low settings

GPU usage never goes above 40% too

in the editor(only have Lite for exactly that reason: to test performance on my PC)

showcase is unplayable for me

Sys.:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X940 OC@3,5Ghz

GPU: HD4890 @GPU925/VRAM1005 Mhz

RAM: 4GB DDR2

I use this startup parameters:

-nosplash -world=empty -maxMem=4096 -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 -noFilePatching

You tell your ArmA to use 4GB RAM yet you only have 4GB RAM? Oo

and still it only goes up to about 600MB Ram according to the Taskmanager even with textures on very high

The only thing the game seems to use well is VRAM.

I've seen up to 2750 MB of VRAM usage on my 3gb cards.

If only it could use my system RAM and CPU and GPU-cores at all.

But the game is limited to how much memory it can address since it's a 32bit application that isn't large address aware.

almost no game uses more than 3gb ram, so 32 bits if fine. unless they state that they could use a lot more considering the game being able to be huge and they cant because how they coded it. at least on arma 2 the max usable is 2047.

The only thing the game seems to use well is VRAM.

I've seen up to 2750 MB of VRAM usage on my 3gb cards.

If only it could use my system RAM and CPU and GPU-cores at all.

again, at least in arma 2 the max usable vram is 2047 and ive not seen any dev stating that arma 3 can use more, so far. bf3 uses 1.5gb max if i recall correctly, and only on ultra.

you probably found yourself a memory leak.