k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

I feel like all the negative, pessimistic and overall "angry mob with pitchforks"-style posts are really unconstructive and are starting to drown out the ones that are actually descriptive and helpful.

I feel like all the negative, pessimistic and overall "angry mob with pitchforks"-style posts are really unconstructive and are starting to drown out the ones that are actually descriptive and helpful.

I think people were hoping some of the horrendously outdated code in this engine would be reworked for what is otherwise a fantastic version of Arma. I think fans are surprised that devs are making excuses or clearly ignoring/misrepresenting modern technology capabilities. There is some definite denial about the engine's current state as compared to even recent "indie" titles. Posting discontent at this fact is VERY constructive as it tells BI and the devs what's important to their fan base who otherwise support them unconditionally (I do).

I must say, my least favorite thing on the internet are posts telling people they can't post criticisms or telling them they aren't constructive, nothing is less constructive than a post of that sort (yes, your post).

OT:

I too have noticed only a fraction of my CPU (i7) being utilized and the game has pretty hefty lag.

But there is danger that no solution will be found/offered, and we could be seeing the same server performance, and perhaps worse - at release on Altis.

ArmA II dragged along ok-ish, but back then we didn't have CPUs calculating complex physics on top of AI.

Posting discontent at this fact is VERY constructive as it tells BI and the devs what's important to their fan base who otherwise support them unconditionally (I do).

Discontent can be expressed many ways.

Discontent expressed in an exaggerated, overly emotional way can actually hurt the cause, as it's much easier to write off as the rambling of a petulant and whiny minority than, say, rational and calm description of the issues.

I must say, my least favorite thing on the internet are posts telling people they can't post criticisms or telling them they aren't constructive

And one my MY least favorite things is when people put words in my mouth.

All I'm saying (to no one in particular but regarding the topic in general) is, don't let the way you express the problem hide the actual problem.

People are angry because this happened in arma 2, and I'm sure everyone expected that it would be a number 1 priority fix for Arma 3, yet nothing has been done about it, and the developers still steer clear of the topic. It's like they just don't care about optimization, and if they do, they aren't showing it. BI should at least come out and say "Oh, sorry guys, we haven't quite optimized the game for all hardware, we should have it ironed out before full release" instead of just leaving us out in the open about it.

Nobody cares about how you feel about other people posts. Dont like dont read, or make your own thread, simple as that.

So i have the problem also,

I got 20-25 fps max with all low setting. I don't know wgat to do my pc is not old is a recent one with nice composant.

What I have to do for incresed my FPS and also will they optimize the game ?

My rig:

Processor: Intel® Core i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz

RAM: 8,00***Go DDR3 1866GHz

Video Card: Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660Ti

SSD: 120GO Crucial M4

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H

Will I be able to play Arma 3 final edition without lag ?

Got near enough the same rig and I have the exact same problem.

I have a QX9650 quad core on my dedicated server and the cpu utilization (%75,%25,%25,%25 )is the same as my gaming rig :( not tobe a negative nelly about the whole thing but how long have multi cores been out.....

is ARMA3 a brand new engine or an upgraded arma2?

It's an upgraded ArmA II engine, which itself was an upgrade from Armed Assault, and that from Operation Flashpoint.

The 75%, 25%, 25%, 25% = Total 150% out of possible 400% is a signature of the engine with respect to multicore performance. :) Definitely needs fixing - Evolution is already unplayable, even with 100 AI.

is ARMA3 a brand new engine or an upgraded arma2?

brand new engines dont exist.

just went and played bf3 endgame, i got the most serious graphics-flash, the game just looks so gorgeous, in its own way of course. so does arma 3. but on a 64 player server with the highest settings you get 60 fps in BF3. i get that Arma 3, just like its predecessors, is a different kind of beast, with much more AI calculation and much bigger maps. and i would accept if it would run at least half as good. but 18 fps in multiplayer games just doesn't cut it, especially when changing settings doesn't make any difference. it's just not up-to-par with modern games, which is sad, i think everything else about the game is pretty perfect ( ignoring the fact that its lacking content, but that is obviously the alpha status ).

brand new engines dont exist.

'Watch Dogs' is running on a brand new game engine called 'Disrupt'

http://www.examiner.com/article/watch-dogs-is-running-on-a-brand-new-game-engine-called-disrupt

2 seconds google search, i bet i can find more.

-----

was taking a look in the arma 2 2010/2011 threads on the same issue and i have to say, considerign how evasive theyve been, i bet bohemia wont do shit about this again, it will remain broken and undertilized, only with half assed optimizations a la arma 2. prove me otherwise.

Edited by white

just went and played bf3 endgame, i got the most serious graphics-flash, the game just looks so gorgeous, in its own way of course. so does arma 3. but on a 64 player server with the highest settings you get 60 fps in BF3. i get that Arma 3, just like its predecessors, is a different kind of beast, with much more AI calculation and much bigger maps. and i would accept if it would run at least half as good. but 18 fps in multiplayer games just doesn't cut it, especially when changing settings doesn't make any difference. it's just not up-to-par with modern games, which is sad, i think everything else about the game is pretty perfect ( ignoring the fact that its lacking content, but that is obviously the alpha status ).

pls use the newest dev update it doubled fps... seriously

there you go, post #179

ive quoted him right after and argued but got no clear response. api monitors show the game having mainly 1 major thread on 1 bottlenecked core (but lots of physix and cloud threads), and i can easily find a multicore running bf3 on a 64 multiplayer map having 75%+ usage on all cores. so there you go.

Sir, if I may, sir! For all we know Drawden's statement may be bullshit, but that's to be expected from a developer, not brave enough to admit his or their mistakes, sir!

Edited by Raklodder

Same exact performance as before. They probably just rolled back the broken heli showcase update..

Edited by k3lt

This has to be the biggest single issue with the alpha, it has to be fixed asap.

We've just gotta keep the pressure on them.

No it doesn't... seriously

i was so sure - maybe it fixed only sth. for systems like mine though. And I meant MP Performance.

because I have now 45-70 fps whereas before I had 15-30 fps - only on MP though, and only on those low fps servers. server which had high fps now have still high but not more higher.

i was so sure - maybe it fixed only sth. for systems like mine though. And I meant MP Performance.

because I have now 45-70 fps whereas before I had 15-30 fps - only on MP though, and only on those low fps servers. server which had high fps now have still high but not more higher.

Problem is that u can not enter most of servers if u update with that patch :(

You probably joined another server, with a faster(better) CPU and more RAM.

I can honestly say, I don't think it will be fixed. BIS is known for poor utilization of multiple cores and just a handful of the cores have to do all the work, which certainly isn't what you want in the current CPU climate.

Doesn't help when you have an extremely CPU intensive game.

Look its a pc game based on an OLD game engine. and therefore will not and cannot use more that something like 130% of a core.

of corse BF is is using multi threading its a console game and that's all consoles have got. so it has to be utilised so when its ported it still does it.

GHZ that's what you need i used the task manager to set the affinity of my game down to only two cores without any FPS drop, on one core its plummets but with 3 or 4 there is NO difference than having it on 2 cores.

an AMD piledriver OC to 5.2 GHZ running 3 cores.(I've seen this done with the full 8 cores in vids without water-cooling) i believe would be the best thing for it though it sounds odd to say.