k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

iam still waiting to see this in know issues, thats all i want, to see the devs know this because it is the most commented and view problem on forums and bug tracker but still is being ignored

I do believe that some of you did not read or take onboard what i said earlier. Some seem to be running on ultra settings and not mentioning what amount of v-ram their gpu has. I`ll say it again... On ultra settings at 1920x1080 this game uses MORE than 3GB of video ram!

It does not matter what cpu or gpu core you have, if you do not have more than 3gb of video ram on the gpu, fps WILL suffer on ultra settings at any decent resolution.

If you want to do some testing then run gpu-z in the background and see what the max video ram usage is, then adjust in-game settings so that it is not maxing your 2GB cards out. This would be a good start to trying to figure out any other genuine problems with the likes of cpu usage etc.

btw, this is not a fault of the game. Just that you dont have the capable hardware to run all those large textures and AA settings. Weakest link in the chain and all that! Other games use similar amounts of v-ram when maxed.

Sir, if I may, sir! My HD6970 have got +2GBs of V-RAM, however the game itself have never gone beyond ~1550Ms with everything maxed-out, including all highest MSAA, highest PPAA and V-Sync enabled with 12000/12000/200, sir!

SITREP #00002 is up, but no mention of performance issues. :eek:

http://alpha.arma3.com/sitrep-002

Indeed. I noticed. Maybe they should address this issue now rather than later?

when you have a hill in the back and only see your shadow floating in the air i think is because the hill isnt renderen... no?

If that's the case, then probably yes. I was under impression that the terrain doesn't cast shadows on itself even if you're facing it, I never really checked this so I might be wrong.

Edited by Minoza

I strongly disagree with your post. This is a fault of the game. Read through the thread, many users still suffer from low GPU usage even on Low settings (this is enough to dispel your argument). However, what you say about ultra, is valid.

I do believe that some of you did not read or take onboard what i said earlier. Some seem to be running on ultra settings and not mentioning what amount of v-ram their gpu has. I`ll say it again... On ultra settings at 1920x1080 this game uses MORE than 3GB of video ram!

It does not matter what cpu or gpu core you have, if you do not have more than 3gb of video ram on the gpu, fps WILL suffer on ultra settings at any decent resolution.

If you want to do some testing then run gpu-z in the background and see what the max video ram usage is, then adjust in-game settings so that it is not maxing your 2GB cards out. This would be a good start to trying to figure out any other genuine problems with the likes of cpu usage etc.

btw, this is not a fault of the game. Just that you dont have the capable hardware to run all those large textures and AA settings. Weakest link in the chain and all that! Other games use similar amounts of v-ram when maxed.

my fps doesnt change from low to ultra, ive seen my videocard IDLE in this game because of the cpu bottleneck.

I can´t believe that a game which is only capable of using 2gb RAM max just sucks up 3gb video RAM :o

Quote..."Sir, if I may, sir! My HD6970 have got +2GBs of V-RAM, however the game itself have never gone beyond ~1550Ms with everything maxed-out, including all highest MSAA, highest PPAA and V-Sync enabled with 12000/12000/200, sir!"

Sir, gpu-z reported a max usage of 3069MB and 84% gpu usage when i was running on ultra at 1920x1080, plus 8xAA. All else maxed and only postprocess were disabled on my gtx680 4gb! What is this "+2GB 6970" you speak of sir? Surely you mean a 2GB? Or a dual gpu 4gb? As in 2gb per core? My 680 appears to be using the available memory as needed.

Where you perhaps running at 800x600? It`s all a little bit vague sir!

Edited by Tintee

Its interesting that I have pretty smooth performance in Blitzkrieg servers and mostly poor in Wasteland servers....anybody have a clue why?

I strongly disagree with your post. This is a fault of the game. Read through the thread, many users still suffer from low GPU usage even on Low settings (this is enough to dispel your argument). However, what you say about ultra, is valid.

Dispel my argument? What argument? I am merely reporting what gpu-z is showing and i have a screenshot of it too. You can feel free to think that my "argument" is wrong if you like. Go and tell the developer of gpu-z that his app is wrong. Dont be telling me.

Putting ones head in the sand will not make something go away.

Its interesting that I have pretty smooth performance in Blitzkrieg servers and mostly poor in Wasteland servers....anybody have a clue why?

Most likely because there is more people online on Wasteland servers, and it's spawning lot's of objects around the map (vehicles, crates etc..) so the stress on CPU (and on server) is much higher.

Most likely because there is more people online on Wasteland servers, and it's spawning lot's of objects around the map (vehicles, crates etc..) so the stress on CPU is much higher.

I thought about the object and maybe AIs....smooth was on Blitzkrieg even with 40-50 ppl which is a considerable number...

I can´t believe that a game which is only capable of using 2gb RAM max just sucks up 3gb video RAM :o

Well i have the screenshot of it here on my desktop. Believe what you will.

:)

I thought about the object and maybe AIs....smooth was on Blitzkrieg even with 40-50 ppl which is a considerable number...

IDK all Blitzkrieg servers are empty right now so i cant test it.

So i tested a bit again after the patch and - for me - it was better.

Still, i wasn´t satisfied so i went to the editor (you don´t get killed there^^) and tried every single setting until i found the 2 settings that were killing my FPS.

Object Quality

Terrain Quality

Setting these 2 to only high instead of very high/ultra doubled my FPS from about 20-25 to 45-50 or more with just a minor impact on visuals.

Most other settings are still very high/ultra (like eg. texture quality is on ultra, which is about the most eye candy setting anyway), view range is at 2600, object range same and so on.

Really glad i found those 2 killers - for me.

Try it out, maybe it will help some others as well.

Thanks for advice...

It helps me a lot (45-50 fps from 30)

Cheers

Well i have the screenshot of it here on my desktop. Believe what you will.

:)

then you found a memory leak, because the engine is limited at 2gb videoram.

bistudio wiki:

-maxVRAM=<number> Defines Video Memory allocation limit to number (in MegaBytes). Use to resolve e.g. Windows problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2026022/en-us?p=1

128 is hard-coded minimum (anything lower falls backs to 128). 2047 is soft-coded maximum , any value over 2GB might result into unforseen consequences!

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters

yet to hear a dev saying anything about it being higher now, i would like to though, i would appreciate if it was.

Most likely because there is more people online on Wasteland servers, and it's spawning lot's of objects around the map (vehicles, crates etc..) so the stress on CPU (and on server) is much higher.

Wrong. Your CPU will not get above 50% on a wastelands server.

Does anybody in this thread even bother to read the thread or other threads?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149040-Why-is-performance-(especially-on-multiplayer-and-AMD-cpu-s)-not-a-known-issue

You even posted below my screenshots in this thread and didn't even bother reading the infos... jebzuz...

i can confirm there are servers with 40+ people that run very smooth ~40 fps whereas normal i have 20 fps on most servers.

I can say that these fast servers have ppl with local ping (they kick those high ping people that like to ruin others games - why cant people join servers in their area?) - and often they have clean up scripts (delete bodies)

Quote..."Sir, if I may, sir! My HD6970 have got +2GBs of V-RAM, however the game itself have never gone beyond ~1550Ms with everything maxed-out, including all highest MSAA, highest PPAA and V-Sync enabled with 12000/12000/200, sir!"

Sir, gpu-z reported a max usage of 3069MB and 84% gpu usage when i was running on ultra at 1920x1080, plus 8xAA. All else maxed and only postprocess were disabled on my gtx680 4gb! What is this "+2GB 6970" you speak of sir? Surely you mean a 2GB? Or a dual gpu 4gb? As in 2gb per core? My 680 appears to be using the available memory as needed.

Where you perhaps running at 800x600? It`s all a little bit vague sir!

Sir, no, sir! 1920 by 1080p, sir!

Thanks for advice...

It helps me a lot (45-50 fps from 30)

Cheers

Glad i could help at least one person ;)

Here's what settings I chose that give around 40 FPS in complex terrain (building and bushes/trees) and still looks great compared to A2 after 2 hours using the Editor. Default daylight/blue skies settings.

Specs: i5 2500K OC'd to 4 GHz / ASUS P8P67 / 16 GB of DDR2 1866 / 2 GB HD7870

Note: I haven't set any Launch parameters or made any changes to the A3 config files.

Catalyst driver: 13.10

No additional graphical enhancements and everything set to "Application Controlled" in Catalyst Control Centre.

Basic Settings:

Resolution: 1920x1080x32

Interface Size: Small

Aspect: 16:9 -Wide

Visibility:

Overall: 1800

Object: 1250

Shadow: 80

Rendering:

Resolution: 1920x1080x32 (100%)

Vertical Sync: Disabled

HDR: Standard.

Anisotropic Filtering (AF): Very High.

PIP: High.

Dynamic Lighting: High.

Anti-Aliasing (AA): x2

PPAA - FXAA High.

ATOC: All Trees & Grass.

Post Process Quality: Low.

Quality:

Texture: Very High

Object: Very High

Terrain: Very High

Cloud: High

Shadow: High

Particle: High.

Now try it in Multiplayer.

Here's what settings I chose that give around 40 FPS in complex terrain (building and bushes/trees) and still looks great compared to A2 after 2 hours using the Editor. Default daylight/blue skies settings.

Specs: i5 2500K OC'd to 4 GHz / ASUS P8P67 / 16 GB of DDR2 1866 / 2 GB HD7870

Note: I haven't set any Launch parameters or made any changes to the A3 config files.

Catalyst driver: 13.10

No additional graphical enhancements and everything set to "Application Controlled" in Catalyst Control Centre.

Basic Settings:

Resolution: 1920x1080x32

Interface Size: Small

Aspect: 16:9 -Wide

Visibility:

Overall: 1800

Object: 1250

Shadow: 80

Rendering:

Resolution: 1920x1080x32 (100%)

Vertical Sync: Disabled

HDR: Standard.

Anisotropic Filtering (AF): Very High.

PIP: High.

Dynamic Lighting: High.

Anti-Aliasing (AA): x2

PPAA - FXAA High.

ATOC: All Trees & Grass.

Post Process Quality: Low.

Quality:

Texture: Very High

Object: Very High

Terrain: Very High

Cloud: High

Shadow: High

Particle: High.

Won't help you a thing.

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149040-Why-is-performance-(especially-on-multiplayer-and-AMD-cpu-s)-not-a-known-issue&p=2326750&viewfull=1#post2326750

then you found a memory leak, because the engine is limited at 2gb videoram.

bistudio wiki:

-maxVRAM=<number> Defines Video Memory allocation limit to number (in MegaBytes). Use to resolve e.g. Windows problem: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2026022/en-us?p=1

128 is hard-coded minimum (anything lower falls backs to 128). 2047 is soft-coded maximum , any value over 2GB might result into unforseen consequences!

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma2:_Startup_Parameters

yet to hear a dev saying anything about it being higher now, i would like to though, i would appreciate if it was.

This may be so. I do not know as i am just reporting what i see.

I just tried again with EVGA Precision and it`s more or less agreeing with gpu-z on highish v-ram usage after just a few minutes play. Certainly more than 2GB, always! Usually around 2.5GB.

Pc specs cpu:2500k ocd to 4Ghz gpu: sapphire 7870 (in editor) all graphics setting medium gpu usage 85-99% cpu usage:40-50% all grapichs setting to ultra gpu usage: 45-60% cpu usage 45-60% what i have noticed im not alone in this situation :p