k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

To the people claiming it varies with server performance, can you give some examples of servers where you are able to get 30+ fps with lets say 20+ people online? (doesn't matter which mission)

You can actually test it fairly easily, just compare the fps you get online and then replicate it on editor just add same amount of AI and spawn yourself in the same location as on MP server.

Edited by k3lt

The overall performance is down below it's minimum and should be mentioned here: http://alpha.arma3.com/known-issues If they can't fix this. Then that is the end for me and friends playing ARMA. This is ridiculous. The year is 2013 and their engine can't still fully utilize a dual nor quad-core. Totally not worth my money. They are probably already hard at work with ARMA IV.

TLDR; OC your server CPUs to 5 GHz or stick to 1-6 player Co-op missions.

These are truly saddening information regarding client/server performance.

Edited by Raklodder

The year is 2013 and their engine can't still fully utilize a dual nor quad-core.

Yes... this is the only angle we can complain from, because PhysX & AI performance per core is good, but multithreaded/multicore utilisation is, sadly, where it had been in ArmA II.

With the added load of physics simulation, multithreading will mean life or death for non-OC/casual servers.

They are probably already hard at work with ARMA IV.

I hope with all the money BIS makes from A3 and DayZ, they bite the bullet and genuinely write a new engine for A4. You can only refine something so much before the foundations of the architecture limit you. I feel this is why we are seeing the same problems regarding utilization from A2 in A3.

Warfare CTI with 32-42 players & 12 units per player ran "ok-ish" on 3.5-4 GHz i7s in ArmA II... XR had to OC theirs to 5 GHz to play it the way it's meant to be played, we enjoyed excellent performance for days without server reboot.

Now, with added physics simulation, I'd say 5 GHz is about to become the standard for Domi, Evo, Warfare, Wasteland, etc, etc.

TLDR; OC your server CPUs to 5 GHz or stick to 1-6 player Co-op missions.

XR had Benny. Most people have no idea how much he optimized the sharing of info well beyond the limits of what BIS ever intended to be done. He had to invest that much into the game because the framework BIS gave him was utter rubbish. And in the end it made him quit the mapmaking. Just like it did with most good mappers.

I hope with all the money BIS makes from A3 and DayZ, they bite the bullet and genuinely write a new engine for A4. You can only refine something so much before the foundations of the architecture limit you. I feel this is why we are seeing the same problems regarding utilization from A2 in A3.

arma 3 isnt even out yet, not even beta, its alpha, the time to sort out this stuff. dont give up yet, lets hope they can put a few guys to rewrite some of the code to at least for the AI to have more threads and make use of more cores in the next few months. i really hope they do because i would really want to see arma 3 run great.

arma 2´s dayz based sales gave them plenty of money to hire an army of coders to do this, its a matter of wanting or not to. ill choose to believe they will want it this time around.

Edited by white

XR had Benny. Most people have no idea how much he optimized the sharing of info well beyond the limits of what BIS ever intended to be done. He had to invest that much into the game because the framework BIS gave him was utter rubbish. And in the end it made him quit the mapmaking. Just like it did with most good mappers.

That he did, but the very same BE Warfare versions ran, like I said, "ok-ish" on 3.5/4 GHz servers, as opposed to XR's stellar performance.

Unless the multithreading capability gets greatly enhanced, I suspect we will either have to down-size to 20-24 player limit for every major CTI mission, or OC the CPUs sky-high.

@white haven't you been listening? This is a well documented case, where barley two cores are being utilized properly, it doesn't matter whenever it's an alpha or not, since this dates way back, to the year of 2009! Almost five years have past, they've had plenty of time for improvement, for them to sort their shit out, once and for all, however it remains queued on ice. They don't even dare to openly acknowledge this irritable issue in public!

@white haven't you been listening? This is a well documented case, where barley two cores are being utilized properly, it doesn't matter whenever it's an alpha or not, since this dates way back, to the year of 2009! Almost five years have past, they've had plenty of time for improvement, for them to sort their shit out, once and for all, however it remains queued on ice. They don't even dare to openly acknowledge this irritable issue in public!

Calm down, it's been assigned/acknowledged with 450 votes on the feedback tracker. We know it's (probably) game over for smaller communities/casual servers if performance stays the same on Altis.

Calm down, it's been assigned/acknowledged with 450 votes on the feedback tracker. We know it's (probably) game over for smaller communities/casual servers if performance stays the same on Altis.

Roger that, sir! I shall rest until tomorrows sunrise.

I would say that BI does pay as much attention to bugs/issues as users pay attention to forum rules they agreed to:

Note:

1. New member's posts are auto-moderated, please don't re-post the same message over&over again.

2. New members are required to fill captcha before posting new answers/threads.

3. New members are limited in editing/accessing variety of profile & forum features.

These limitations are removed for regular forum users.

i know, but they "kind" of recognized the problem, of course i would like more specific and clear recognition aswell, but i just think they wont make a statement about it because it will hurt sales. but im hopefull that they will do the right thing because 2 things might happen, a lot of people will ask for their money back before launchif it remains with this problem (at least in my country would be quite easy even if steam gave me any trouble about it, our consumer protection laws are very strict, one of the few things good about my country anyway), and also, a lot of fans of the series will give up on bohemia for the lack of respect to consumers, if they did that.

this kind of forum complain is nothing because even though a lot are dissatisfied, we understand the fact that it is an alpha and things can still be done, otherwise so many wouldnt even have voted on the bug report, but if it get closer to launch and remains like this, you probably will start to see a lot of people complaining on facebook and twitter aswell, and thats never good for a company. hell just check EA and Sim City what a disaster thats been since it launched, articles on everygaming site about how awfull its been, i doubt there will ever be a sim city after that again.

makes no sense not do address this issue even it it means more cost and some delay to launch. arma 3 has everything to become way bigger than arma 2 ever was and thats all we want.

Edited by white

i am on gtx 580 sli i5 4.5 ghz ssd and get aorund 30-40 fps on high settings. Was hoping for more but it is alpha.

i too have gtx 580 but no sli and it looks our fps are the same :)

I think playing with the nvidia profile can help boost your fps.

this is the price of success. they got the top selling game on Steam, and they pretty much hit the lottery with DayZ, so I really don't want to hear anyone from BI playing the victim

Ok, looked into the feedback tracker, alot of people are having low cpu and gpu usage. But for now, i guess there is no fix for this ?

No fix atm, it's a "bug"/"issue" (whatever it is the reason) and they promised to fix it before the release. How and the exact date of a possible fix ins't known yet.

this is the price of success. they got the top selling game on Steam, and they pretty much hit the lottery with DayZ, so I really don't want to hear anyone from BI playing the victim

yeah exactly, I'm tired of that too, BI has made millions off of DayZ... they have just as much of a budget as a game for EA or Activision would have now. and because of that I expect more from them.

Come on guys its a alpha for crying out loud. I'm just glad we can play with the alpha. Would you rather have nothing and just be looking for the release date to come far down the road?

No fix atm, it's a "bug"/"issue" (whatever it is the reason) and they promised to fix it before the release. How and the exact date of a possible fix ins't known yet.

May I have your source please?

Alpha doesn't mean anything, here we talk about the poor engine code. Well i really hope they will manage to fix the CPU usage issue. Also, there is some official devs response ?

yeah exactly, I'm tired of that too, BI has made millions off of DayZ... they have just as much of a budget as a game for EA or Activision would have now. and because of that I expect more from them.

that's a strawman. even with their budget, apparently EA also has issues keeping their customers happy

my point was these heightened expectations come with the territory of having a product that a lot of people are interested in. ultimately it's a good sign for them as a business, but it also puts the pressure on them to follow through to keep that ball rolling

On the infantry showcase, my fps ranges 30 (+-7)

On multiplayer, I have only had unplayable connections except for one instance. On one server, to amazement, I was able to have the same fps as the showcase above. But that was the only exception.

I tried playing in a few servers today and no matter what I do, it fluctuates 17 (+-5). I set everything to low, disabled clouds/shadows, etc. but it is fundamentally useless. There is little to no difference in fps when I switch between "high" and "low".

Core 2 Quad 2.66GHz

4gb

GTX 480

Will this game ever work for me, past Alpha, or will I always suffer from unbearable fps?

Will this game ever work for me, past Alpha, or will I always suffer from unbearable fps?

You're close to recommended system specs so i'd say it should work.. after BIS deal with the optimizations.

I noticed hyperthreading shuts off completely on my i7 2600K in game. CPU and GPU load when ARMA 3 is launched (start menu has not been reached). And, CPU and GPU load when ARMA 3 is playable. This is taken in a game of Wasteland.

It turns out for my rig, I get great FPS in small online matches (DM's and such), as well as in singleplayer. In large multiplayer matches, the FPS becomes horrible. When you look at the first link, the CPU is fully utilized and all 8 threads are running. However, as soon as the game fully loads, hyperthreading gets shut off and only the four cores operate.

I have tried systematically incrementing -cpuCount=# (#=1,2,4) with -exThreads=0, and have found configurations with only 2 or 4 cores running are more stable than with -exThreads=# (#=1,3,5,7).

In all, this leads to a very slow, laggy online experience. I am an ARMA2 vet, and I had these issues with Insurgency and some Domination matches. Outside of ARMA, my rig runs all other games on high without any issue.