k3lt

Low CPU utilization & Low FPS

I think my faith that the game will be playable is back, it seems i have found some decent server and the fps ramped up nicely.

Since there is 100kb image limit on the forums, go here for screenshots with settings / fps: http://minus.com/mbdaqxEWQoBURE (after lowering objects/terrain quality to low + turning off ATOC it was 50-80 fps, i was kinda shocked. :p)

Ofc it's hard to judge on this as there was no fighting going on, also only like 4 people online but still i though it would be worth mentioning.

Server IP: 87.250.160.18

Edit:

Oops it looks like i have accidentally turned off SMAA.. but i can guarantee it wouldnt change the fps much, just gpu/vram usage would go bit higher.

I have added another screenshot, this time in middle of Agia Marina with SMAA @ Ultra.

Edit2:

Nvm, once 10 people joined fps went down to 15-20 again.

Edited by k3lt

server plays a significant role i guess. also the players ping should be low not one lagger guy from the other side of the world who could ruin the experience for the rest

I got a significant FPS boost by clocking my 2600k like crazy. If you have the cooling for it, dont be afraid to clock it to almost 5 Ghz, mine is now running at 4,7 GHz and the game is running much better than it did at 4,2. I knew it would help a little, but i got a 10 +- FPS boost from it, its insane.

Edited by steinarsen44

i7 at 5GHz certainly shouldn't be a solution.

i7 at 5GHz certainly shouldn't be a solution.

Ofcourse not, but if you can do it, it will boost your performance.

Just curious here. I had a big issue with the game crashing both at start up and while playing any sort of matches.

I know this sounds unrelated but I am getting there....

Anyway, a lot of time programs crash due to the 0xc0000005 error because of permissions issues. So I decided to force Arma 3 to run as Admin, and then I went to my %AppData% folder and deleted the Arma 3 Alpha folder in order to kill the cache. Not only did this fix my crashing problem, but it fixed a whole host of other problems, and even increased performance in several areas.

Here is a short list:

No more crashing

Improved server list load time

Improved Role Assignment screen speed

Increased FPS in both Single and Multiplayer.

Here is my info:

Core i5 3570k @ 4.7GHz

16GB RAM @ 2044MHz 11/11/11/27 CR2

Gigabyte GTX 670 @ 1201MHz core, 6808MHz mem.

4TB RAID 0 config.

In game, everything is maxed out but AA.

Resolution is 2560x1440

4x FXAA

VSync is OFF

My FPS while playing Wasteland on a 30+ person server will fluctuate between 25-45FPS

CPU usage varies between 20-50%, does spike to 100% when it does its little launch benchmark.

GPU usage varies between 50-80%

In conclusion, it doesn't fix the issue, but it was definitely a big improvement from before I tried my little fix.

Clearly my GPU is still getting limited by my CPU while its stuck down at about 45% most of the time.

Anyway, try it and see if you notice any differences.

Cant get my fps over 21 on any video setting.

Specs:

i7-950 4cores 4threads @ 4.2 ghz

Asus Radeon 7870 2gb ddr5

12gb ddr3 ram (kingston hyperX genisis, 3 sticks)

XFX PRO 850 watt Semi Modular 80 Plus Silver power supply

Asus Sabertooth x58 motherboard

Western Digital 2tb Caviar Black

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Service pack 1

Ive just been through a series of tests to look deeper into this problem.

I (perfectly)overclocked my CPU from 3.2 to 3.6 to 4.0 NB, HT, Voltage and DRam included(notice that i have pretty good cooling and a good PSU)

My results were confusing..

While the game never uses more then 75% of my GPU and 50% of my CPU it seems like a few AI´s bring the Game to its knees(max of 35% of cpu and ~37% of GPU usage)

This leads me to believe that the cause of this problem is the engine, if not i would love to get a official statement from a proffesional programmer.

My Results are the following,

Start of the Infrantry Showcase

CPU @ 3.2 GHZ, 42% usage

42.2 FPS

CPU @ 3.6 GHZ 37% usage

43.1 FPS

CPU @ 4.0 GHZ 35.4% usage

43.3 FPS

I am now back at a clock of 3.5GHZ and got 43.2 FPS

Like i stated in earlier comments that phenomenon occured quite often(the engine doesnt utilize the full capabilities of the Hardware)

Also theres been quite a few games with this phenomenon, skyrim is the best example(20 fps+ just because of a simple fix that stated "removed bottleneck code") and suddenly my cpu and gpu were both at full 99% usage, bethesda then added this to a patch without even mentioning the original creator of the fix, i guess nobody remembers that... Same with max payne 3, disco scene, while jumping out of the window on the floor, 20 fps .... Just installed mp3 a few days ago and now im getting 50+ fps at the same scene ... What is it about that ?

Maybe im getting to deep into this but the whole thing kinda confuses me, if myself, or anybody else could get a official statement/explanation to this problem i would be very happy.. What is not still can be and i already, like i said, lived through this with arma 2 and even today(way above the recommended specs) bad fps in arma 2/no full utilization

I just overclocked my CPU (in signature) to 3.8 GHz using the stock cooler. The temperatures are cutting it a bit close (50C idle without Cool'n'Quiet and other limiters, cool 60s stressed) but I wanted to test this out. With stock 3.2 GHz I was getting 18 fps average, now with 3.8 GHz I get 40 fps average! Massive difference it is really night and day.

If you are having irrational performance issues, upgrade or overclock your CPU!

I just overclocked my CPU (in signature) to 3.8 GHz using the stock cooler. The temperatures are cutting it a bit close (50C idle without Cool'n'Quiet and other limiters, cool 60s stressed) but I wanted to test this out. With stock 3.2 GHz I was getting 18 fps average, now with 3.8 GHz I get 40 fps average! Massive difference it is really night and day.

Sorry, can i get pictures ? i cant believe that.. Did you play mp or sp ? Maybe youve just hit a good server...

It was the Showcase: Rotary Wing mission. Obviously both average fps I gave were in the same scenarios and same environments.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

Indeed. That is just a sloppy way of telling people: no room for improvement, toast your hardware instead by overclock.

It was the Showcase: Rotary Wing mission. Obviously both average fps I gave were in the same scenarios and same environments.

Still, can you downclock and overclock again and give us screenshots(matter of a few minutes) ? I cant believe that since we are both on the same CPU´s technology, and ive gone even higher then you...

Cant get my fps over 21 on any video setting.

Specs:

i7-950 4cores 4threads @ 4.2 ghz

Asus Radeon 7870 2gb ddr5

12gb ddr3 ram (kingston hyperX genisis, 3 sticks)

XFX PRO 850 watt Semi Modular 80 Plus Silver power supply

Asus Sabertooth x58 motherboard

Western Digital 2tb Caviar Black

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Service pack 1

have you tried on the editor?

Edited by EmirSc

Still, can you downclock and overclock again and give us screenshots(matter of a few minutes) ? I cant believe that since we are both on the same CPU´s technology, and ive gone even higher then you...

I have heard multiplayer can be more demanding, maybe try single player. I have yet to start up MP because my CPU is still fairly unstable at 3.8 GHz. I think I will lower it to 3.7 or 3.6 for stability and concerns about longevity with a stock cooler at that clock.

Before posting this I just tried the first half (before a BSOD) of the Showcase: Vehicle mission with my new clock speed. Again I was getting 35-40 fps average where before at 3.2 GHz I would get 15-22 fps average.

I have heard multiplayer can be more demanding, maybe try single player. I have yet to start up MP because my CPU is still fairly unstable at 3.8 GHz. I think I will lower it to 3.7 or 3.6 for stability and concerns about longevity with a stock cooler at that clock.

Before posting this I just tried the first half (before a BSOD) of the Showcase: Vehicle mission with my new clock speed. Again I was getting 35-40 fps average where before at 3.2 GHz I would get 15-22 fps average.

Allright ; )

I used too have the 955 too and it goes up to 3.6, in some cases 3.7GHZ without chaning the voltage, read it up! Be warned, going higher and increasing voltage can end up bad

I've got GTX 670 OC and I noticed that when my FPS goes down the card GPU clock goes to 600Mhz instead oh usual 1100Mhz.Looks like it does.t recognize that it's running 3D app

Maybe in the next update BIS will fix it (theres always hope) anyone know when the next update is expected?

Edited by WingsOfDeath

I have decided to run a test with Chernarus in both ArmA3 and ArmA2.

In ArmA2 in the same area I get 20 more FPS with 3.2 km viewdistance (~50) as opposed to ArmA3 with 2.5km (~30). In ArmA3 it also looks worse with low detailed LODs being MUCH closer.

And that's without AI or any firefights. Phenom II / GTX260 user here. So ArmA3 definitely underutilizes something since Chernarus should run in both at least equally on equal settings.

Edited by metalcraze

I used too have the 955 too and it goes up to 3.6, in some cases 3.7GHZ without chaning the voltage, read it up! Be warned, going higher and increasing voltage can end up bad

Yeah I am at 3.8 GHz right now with increased CPU and CPU-Northbridge frequencies and voltages (did not touch the FSB). I think I will lower the voltage a bit from where it is now (1.4V) but not default and leave it at 3.7 GHz clock speed.

I have some screenshots of my last play through at 3.8 GHz as you requested. Note the graphics settings are between the 'high' and 'very high' presets with a few settings on 'ultra'.

arma32013030908332831.jpg

arma32013030908342174.jpg

arma32013030908331915.jpg

arma32013030908391523.jpg

I've got GTX 670 OC and I noticed that when my FPS goes down the card GPU clock goes to 600Mhz instead oh usual 1100Mhz.Looks like it does.t recognize that it's running 3D app

I believe that is Nvidia's fault. There are ways to force "performance mode" and say screw it to power saving to get around this shortcoming. I am sure a soon to be released Nvidia driver will resolve the GPU not recognizing the 3D application to crank up the frequency automatically.

Edited by JuggernautOfWar

its not about using or not a 3d application, its about using less energy when its not needed. if the cpu bottlenecks the game and the gpu isnt needed, it goes down. at least i think its that, if you use performance mode and the fps doesnt go down i might be wrong and it is a bug.

i would guess its something about what you are playing and changing the view range. the place where the fps is always the same for me to try thigns ou is on the heli, ive had terrible and acceptable fps in single and multiplayer on different scenarios.

right now i just left my 1075t as 3,3ghz (because i like to leave cpu cooln quiet/turbo on to 3500) so it doesnt become a powerhog on a daily basis, but ive tried 4ghz with cpu cool nd quiet and etc off, changed very little, hard to notice 10-20% change when you have 18-22 fps. i have no problem reaching that with my ga-990xa/ 1600mhz ram and an antec 620 watercooler, but i dont see a point on leaving it like that.

if i had anything close to the gains you are mentioning i wouldve left the oc.

Edited by white

I think that's another symptom of the GPU not being utilized

if I play something basic like TF2, and limit my frames (v-sync, etc), I get similar results. it's not that it doesn't recognize the 3D app, it just doesn't need that clock speed. for that matter, when I'm not running any 3D app, the clock speed goes down to around 300, so 600 is more than it would need for regular 2D stuff

Edited by daze23

Yes you are right I switched on "Performance" mode in Nvidia control panel and I get steady 35 FPS in MP on Ultra/Very high settings and it's playable.Still it only clocks to 980Mhz and it's not using boost frequency.Will wait for Nvidia driver

I have also seen a massive increase in FPS since applying a 4.8ghz in MP.

Pretty much average 32-40 all over the map and in certain areas I can hit as high as 54.

Specs:

i7 2600k @ 4.8ghz

GTX 580 sli - not a huge deal on or off really at this stage for sli

16gig RipJaws 2K+

Steam launcher:

-noSplash -maxMem=8192 -cpuCount=4 -exThreads=7 -high

Hello

I tried going in to the nvidia panel > "adjust image settings with preview" and set it to "let 3d program deside" (or similar, first option). This removed all my fps lag and improved my fps alot in general.

Edited by DanielV