Sign in to follow this  
CombatComm

Walking animations MUST be changed: BI Please read

Has anyone here ever carried even a light rifle with one hand, your wrist quirked like the animation shows? Your wrist would be cramped in seconds! It looks ridiculous. No one teaches any military on this earth to hold a rifle like that. They look like gorillas! Not to mention when the whole squad is walking around IN THE SAME animation it kills immersion. Please change the animation so that they are holding rifles correctly. Everything else looks good animation wise.

This is still Alpha. Alot could change by release.

Just pretend the non-rendered tactical sling is there.

Just pretend the non-rendered tactical sling is there.

:D Just what I was thinking, also they don't look that bad (alpha... the possibilities are endless :L)

F749820D-866F-45FA-8A94-40BBCC471C5D_w640_r1_s.jpg

Some soldiers like to rest their weapon when its on sling. Nothing wrong with that.

This is a Alpha, I agree they should add more walking animations... maybe they will in the future :)

Did he mean to say Guerilla? Or was he actually referring to the animal?

It's a reference to the first post, expressing my sceptical view of the author's theory.

Has anyone here ever carried even a light rifle with one hand, your wrist quirked like the animation shows? Your wrist would be cramped in seconds! It looks ridiculous. No one teaches any military on this earth to hold a rifle like that. They look like gorillas! Not to mention when the whole squad is walking around IN THE SAME animation it kills immersion. Please change the animation so that they are holding rifles correctly. Everything else looks good animation wise.

Sorry to be blunt, but THIS is your problem? The walking animation!? Don´t you think that there are other matters...

Okay never mind! It´s the internetz!

I got the feeling that when the player is running, his animation, his rythm and his movements amplitude sometimes look like a dwarf people.

Yeah I agree I mean I like the default walking animation in ARMA 3 and I hope it stays in it is just there needs to be more than one maybe to increase immersion, Fatigue restoration or some such. The ARMA 2 lowered weapon walk is already in but only occurs randomly (And if you turn it brakes). In my opinion I would really like to see the ability to switch between walks maybe by custom keybind's or some such just to be able to add a little maybe aesthetic difference to groups/patrols.

He's in the airforce, wouldn't expect him to get it. When you have a two point sling, you can let your weapon hang and don't need both hands on it.

too bad there's no slings in arma.

but yeah it does look like a very casual walk for a soldier, lol.

Maybe do what OFP did and have the "weapon on back" thing which made the soldiers go from a combat ready stance to completely laid back, at least for the walking animations?

If there was a combat ready walking animation I think having the weapon half-raised so it is not sweeping people but it is ready to shoot would be pretty good?

He's in the airforce, wouldn't expect him to get it. When you have a two point sling, you can let your weapon hang and don't need both hands on it.

lol you mad bro? 7 motnh tour in afghanistan, 2011 with SOCCENT. 3rd HERD before that. Assigned to 571st MSAS right now. Look it up. You a cook in the army? Something tells me you arent in the military at all. If you were you'd have a little bit of respect for your fellow military brothers. And you'd know that it dosent matter what branch your in, what matters is your mission, if you wana get gungho, iv shot more people than you blah blah on me. Go play COD.

Oh and uh DO YOU SEE A two point sling on the player model!? Fake ass mofo.

I think we should give them time to improve things... This is only alpha version of the game and for that the devs did an amazing job in my opinion. But I have to admit that the walking animation looks a little bit strange.

I absolutely agree. As far as performance it's much better than Arma 2.

So instead of making a new thread maybe someone with much more knoledge than me can fill me in on what REALLY CAN be be changed in ALPHA state. A lot of people like to throw around the old adage "It's alpha" when defending the developers. My understanding and from expirience is that ALPHA BETA are for fixing bugs, optimization. Not adding features. So at what point does the game get "closed" so to speak from a deep engine perspective where core features cannot be added, changed and tweaked? ie sound engine changes, TOH FM, JAVA functionality.

I was amazed at how much better AO looked from orignal arma but people had to shell out money for that.

Putting out a "half assed" game (not saying ARMA 3 is) and than just saying "oh well the modders will take care of the rest" and laugh your way to the bank is not ok. Let's remember that BI has worked on ARMA 3 for some 3 years now. And when that is consider not THAT MUCH is different. Graphics are a little sharper, HDR, Animations are ALITTLE better but still look like static poses that we "activate" rather than natural human motion like GTA has.

Sorry to be blunt, but THIS is your problem? The walking animation!? Don´t you think that there are other matters...

^ This

lol you mad bro? 7 motnh tour in afghanistan, 2011 with SOCCENT. 3rd HERD before that. Assigned to 571st MSAS right now. Look it up. You a cook in the army? Something tells me you arent in the military at all. If you were you'd have a little bit of respect for your fellow military brothers. And you'd know that it dosent matter what branch your in, what matters is your mission, if you wana get gungho, iv shot more people than you blah blah on me. Go play COD.

Oh and uh DO YOU SEE A two point sling on the player model!? Fake ass mofo.

Aside from that you're constantly complaining (what's your personal problem, man?) I'd say additional walking animations would be nice, but not important.

Wow - You don't like the way the walking animations look so you make a great big fuzz over it by creating a thread on the forum about it. Its Alpha, its still WIP!!

Not only that, there is an official feedback channel for Alpha where you can give BIS your feedback. Making a thread about it here makes you sound like a spoilt kid TBH, though am not saying you actually are.

I do agree though that the animations when walking need improving, mainly as they seem to be stuck in a short loop of just 2-3 steps before reverting to the start of the animation (making it look chunky) making the walking animation as a whole look unnatural. But i don't see the need to make a thread about it especially when considering they only recently released a video of doing motion capture, which therefore makes it likely such animations will be improved considering some motion captured animation is already in, the prone animations for example!

This is the correct hold of the weapon, for not charge back.

Maybe in the 2030's it's not anymore?

Just saying. BIS granted themselves some artistic freedom with placing the game in the future. ;)

Wow - You don't like the way the walking animations look so you make a great big fuzz over it by creating a thread on the forum about it. Its Alpha, its still WIP!!

Not only that, there is an official feedback channel for Alpha where you can give BIS your feedback. Making a thread about it here makes you sound like a spoilt kid TBH, though am not saying you actually are.

I do agree though that the animations when walking need improving, mainly as they seem to be stuck in a short loop of just 2-3 steps before reverting to the start of the animation (making it look chunky) making the walking animation as a whole look unnatural. But i don't see the need to make a thread about it especially when considering they only recently released a video of doing motion capture, which therefore makes it likely such animations will be improved considering some motion captured animation is already in, the prone animations for example!

You guys are the brats lol. What the hell is the point of this forum? For the fans to give gripe or praise to those that developed a game THEY PAID hard earned money for. This isn't a mod I got for free. No I couldn't do better but I am not a game developer. So enough with the "stop complaining" shit. I've had more agreements to my post then disagreements. You being one of them. So stop crying over the negative feedback of your precious ARMA. I love the United States of America but I don't get upset with people who talk about whats wrong with her and how to improve her. Same with ARMA. So chillax I am on your side. I just like getting my moneys worth.

Oh and another thing. Everyone keeps saying it's ALPHA and to stop "complaining". How the hell would the devs know what to change during the ALPHA if people didn't "complain". smh You need to reassess who is acting like the baby here.

I certainly have walked miles holding an assault rifle with one hand like that, it usually has a strap that helps and you can rest it on top of any magazine pocket on your vest. The walking animation is a very comfortable position and in ARMA3 they shift from one-hand to two-hand holding animations after a few minutes naturally....like you would often do in real life. There is no problem and the animation is very realistic.