Sign in to follow this  
reclusive7

"Authenticity" and Editor placement woes...

M14 EBR & MK200 are US manufactured and NATO forces weapon, idk if maybe there's little inspiration for what to give the Iranian's in ARMA3, just an observation to improve authenticity. ***Placeholders, I understand, but nonetheless incase they are not just placeholders, it's my observation, I am sorry if my observation offends you.

As for the editor, though this is ALPHA(and believe me it aint my first, so I understand).

Placement almost seems downgraded from A2/A2OA, even some item icons are now "?" which were actually nearly perfect representations in A2, Hesco Barrier "BIG" for starters has accurate representation in A2OA's editor, yet is now the dreaded "?" mark which is ZERO help at all, and was one of my biggest gripes about placement in the editor, all those freaking "?" marks, they make placement a nightmare for those creating maps/levels for clans/friends/anybody to play, and that user content is what keeps games fresh and keeps people coming back for more.

The process of: Place, save, preview rinse repeat 100's of times needs to come to a delightful end.

Suggestions-

A: a 3D editor would completely bypass this issue. As I said in another thread regarding the cancellation of the much anticipated and appreciated ArmA III 3D Editor Feature, we're not asking for 3DS Max or Maya, or even Crytek's CE3.SDK(though that is an awesome and FREE editor), we just need something for accurate placement, period.

B: Accurate top down placement(like snapping, idk maybe play some RTS' or city development games for inspirations),

C: No more freaking "?" marks, they are ZERO help

The 2D editor is great for triggers/waypoints/markers/etc, but in this day and age, we either need a much improved placement system in the existing 2d editor, or we need a 3D editor(which would even be ok for JUST placement, idk maybe a top down viewspace and a 3d viewspace to toggle between or have them side by side or one above the other).

Again I know it's ALPHA, but I was kind of surprised at how it the new editor feels like a step backwards from what we've already used and seen with previous ARMA's.

Edited by RECLUSIVE7

Dude, Alpha.

Placeholders everywhere.

Edited by Smurf

Honestly, I think to make the editor fully functional, I think there needs to be a proper 3D editor that doesn't require you to jump through hoops and isn't broken half the time. It's so much easier to place objects in the 3D editor, but a pain to use that work. I'd rather they put work into a 3D editor than improve the 2D editor. The idea that a 2D editor will ever be enough is silly.

Dude, Alpha.

Placeholders everywhere.

Did I not say "I know it's ALPHA"???

I'm speaking up about it now, so we dont end up w/ "?" marks and tons of guesswork for placement like we STILL have to this day >>YEARS<< later with ARMA2.

I'm sure someone said something about it with ARMA2, and I'm sure someone said, "dude, they're placeholders, they'll fix it", yeah they sure fixed it didn't they.

Didn't they also say how much better optimization went into ARMA3, yet me have scores of reports about under-utilization of CPUs and GPUs, what does that issue remind you of? ARMA2!? So despite how many people reported these issues from A2, we're still having this issue with ARMA3 on monster rigs that plow through Crysis3 maxed out.

What is an ALPHA without observation and reporting, not all of us bought in to the Alpha just to "have fun" some of us actually want a well polished final build void of most of the problems still in existence with ARMA2(That will never be fixed).

And hey I know Bohemia is pretty darn good with being accurate when it comes to kits and gear, but hey we're in a world where it's not that hard to do easy research and make sure things not only make sense but are accurate/authentic, but we still have Hollywood big budget films with dudes wearing jacked up berets, or wearing their flag on the wrong shoulder, or nametape/branch on opposite sides, Private's saluting Sergeant's, and Sergeant's saluting Corporal's...should I go on?

Obviously alot of people here are prior service/Veterans and I tell ya speaking for myself, it irritates me to no end when people cant do their darn research and get things right, when there are so many resources available.

And me speaking about my observations is a resource, dont like it? Dont respond. Or don't even participate in a forum about ALPHA phase related information/support/bugs/etc.

Enjoy the rest of your day, and enjoy the ALPHA

Edited by RECLUSIVE7

I'm speaking up about it now, so we dont end up w/ "?" marks and tons of guesswork for placement like we STILL have to this day >>YEARS<< later with ARMA2.

You make a really good point IMO.

someone should instruct Iran to stop using F14's, M113 and other NATO equipment for Authenticity ;)

someone should instruct Iran to stop using F14's, M113 and other NATO equipment for Authenticity ;)

lol, dude you know what I'm getting at, hehe, but in all seriousness the M14 and MK200 should be in the US weapons crate(s).

I get all "passionate"(nice way of putting it) about alot of things, and it's my personality, and I get "irritable/angry" easily, part of the reason why I don't have many "variables" in my life.

I think it is fair to say the elements you noted are fair points but in the context of an alpha we can expect some things to be placeholders. They may have only had a certain amount of weapons / configs completed or were holding some back for a surprise. Either way they needed to put enough in Iran's crates to make them playable in scenarios for the Alpha. I'm sure we'll see things get moved around over time as more content is created to fill out Iran's crates.

i *think* they just added a bit of stuff into the Iranian weapon crate for the sake of them having any weapons. Most of these Weapons, and also vehicles such as the HMG Speedboat look like BLUFOR Equip to me. I'm guessing it's going to be placed in the BLUFOR crates, once they managed to finish some weapons for the Iranians to use.

You know that the game takes place in the 2030's? The devs decided that the iranians get M14s' in that time, so deal with it. If you want an AK or something, wait for addons. Bohemia is not your personal maid.

Did I not say "I know it's ALPHA"???

Sounds like you may need to visit the feature requests page.

You know that the game takes place in the 2030's? The devs decided that the iranians get M14s' in that time, so deal with it. If you want an AK or something, wait for addons. Bohemia is not your personal maid.

IDK why every time something is said, even in my case where I just want the game to get as much feedback, and critique as possible to give the devs as many clues possible on how to improve ARMA3 to it's maximum potential.

People who speak up get berated by the so-called communities in which they dwell.

You've reminded of why I prefer to remain on the sidelines in these "communities".

Edited by RECLUSIVE7

IDK why every time something is said, even in my case where I just want the game to get as much feedback, and critique as possible to give the devs as many clues possible on how to improve ARMA3 to it's maximum potential.

People who speak up get berated by the so-called communities in which they dwell.

You've reminded of why I prefer to remain on the sidelines in these "communities".

A lot of niche game communities like this one have an overabundance of defensive fanboys.

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of the stuff that looks like it should be BLUFOR is going to stay OPFOR because it is the future and stuff.

A lot of niche game communities like this one have an overabundance of defensive fanboys.

Also, I'm pretty sure a lot of the stuff that looks like it should be BLUFOR is going to stay OPFOR because it is the future and stuff.

It should also be added that the Armaversum timeline diverged from ours about fifty years before Arma 3, leaving plenty of background room for things to have 'changed' (or panned out) in the twenty-five years since Operation Arrowhead... and I'm pretty sure that the "future warfare" setting was chosen specifically to free the devs from "having" to be "authentic". :p

Blufor might stay in opfor due to 2030. God I hate games that take place in the future, its the only downfall for arma 3 :(
What, that BI specifically went "future warfare" to get away from "milsim authenticity"? :p

Despite it being in the future, I would guess they will have modern equipment too... It may just be the guerrilla factions have them!

In one of the first screenshots of ArmAIII, we've seen the US soldiers equipped with the M14... so it really might just be a placeholder until BIS releases more weapons

We did however also see a screenshot where an Iranian soldier atop a tower was wielding the EBR as well, this was after Gamescom.

We did however also see a screenshot where an Iranian soldier atop a tower was wielding the EBR as well, this was after Gamescom.

Oh yeah... forgot about that one. Let's wait and see :)

IMO the Editor has been improved over the A2 editor, as alot of objects now have a little preview picture in the drop down menu. I wouldn't mind a 3D Editor (like we have in Arma 2), but please keep a 2D editor if you decide to implement a 3D Editor because the 3D Editor in A2 is a messsssss. I do agree with the OP that question mark placeholders are quite annoying, especially with little objects.

Oh yeah... forgot about that one. Let's wait and see :)
There's also a screenshot where an Iranian soldier has a Mk 200. The "authenticity" arguments were had long, long ago when the Iranian forces seemed to be wielding Tavors and Merkavas, so complaining about the EBR being in Iranian use almost feels like... a moot point.

Guys guys guys... :q:

It was clearly said before Alpha release:

In the alpha the future factions are not represented yet, you should see them as simply BLUFOR or OPFOR. This means that no faction has any background story in the Alpha and any weapons that are on either side could be found on the other side as BIS made the Alpha to contain complementary weapons for each side. So basically: To even out both teams so that some basic gameplay can take place, every side has a spec ops rifle, HMGs, LMGs, Rifles with UGL and so on.

This is not the final layout of the factions weaponary!

I have only had a quick mess around with the editor so far but I do agree we need a 3d editor.

I am hopnig when they release the BIS tools that they have modernized them as well especially the map creator..any i guess thats far pertty far off anyway hehe :)