Sign in to follow this  
mordeaniischaos

Anyone else struggling to complete the Infantry Showcase?

place an AI in idk, Camp Rogain, default skill, now spawn yourself outside the hesco perimeter, once the AI is aware of you, you can creep from side to side in 3rd person and the AI aims in your direction regardless of where you move...Me and a clanmate did this last night, I guess I need to do a youtube video, because the AI tracks me the whole time, doesnt mean he "sees" me, but the AI is constantly aware of where I am even when the AI's vision is obscured by solid surfaces. Maybe we're misunderstanding eachother. And maybe the OP is seeing tracers fly through the canopy in his/her general direction(though sometimes really really close) makes it seem like the AI is seeing you through foliage, but there is no doubt the AI has some Spidey Senses.

Depending it on the distance between him and the AI, and his speed, it could just be the sound he is emitting by moving.

EDIT: Or the object may be broken, though I cant be bothered to check it right now.

I got lucky the first time I ran through the infantry showcase, all subsequent efforts turned out poorly, squad dying, me dying. Until I started using the cover a little more and going prone, the biggest difference was providing suppressing fire for the squad, they can neutralize most of the hostiles themselves if you stick with them and provide cover fire.

I do look forward to choosing a different optic in the future, the reflex/rco sight on that rifle isn't optimal for long range, but if you stick with your squad they keep things relatively up close and personal.

but there is no doubt the AI has some Spidey Senses.

It would be hilarious if the AI can use the same 3rd person view exploit that the player can....

Just thought I would inform you that the position of the mortar spotters can change. Once they were behind rocks for me and once they were in the trees.

The precision settings were disabled in an older ArmA2 patch, and the setting is now tied to the aiskill. I assume it is the same in ArmA3, though I haven't tested it.

Are you sure? i thought it was changed so that adjusting the skill changed the precision level also..

Dude...ya know, I'm just not gonna try to explain how ignorant your statement is, especially when there's and editor to perform these tests.

And I've been using it to disprove whiners like you for years. Walk behind a damn bush or something.

I can confirm that the enemy AI has some superhuman spotting abilities. I managed to complete this scenario on my 5th attempt. I was the only survivor in my squad. And only because I stayed behind on a hillside and sniped the enemys. If I go with my squad we all get killed. They seem to see us through the foliage. Another example was the Scuba showcase. I disarmed the mines, sabotaged the boat and then went to the hill north of the base. I was prone on that hill and called in the mortars. Once the enemy were alerted they always managed to spot and shoot me. I was prone and did not move...

And I've been using it to disprove whiners like you for years. Walk behind a damn bush or something.

good for you

I can confirm that the enemy AI has some superhuman spotting abilities. I managed to complete this scenario on my 5th attempt. I was the only survivor in my squad. And only because I stayed behind on a hillside and sniped the enemys. If I go with my squad we all get killed. They seem to see us through the foliage. Another example was the Scuba showcase. I disarmed the mines, sabotaged the boat and then went to the hill north of the base. I was prone on that hill and called in the mortars. Once the enemy were alerted they always managed to spot and shoot me. I was prone and did not move...

That's troubling. Let's hope that the AI is deep in its re-balancing phase at BIS.

But really, what are you people waiting for? You have an editor, and tons of new bushes and walls. Place yourself behind one, opposite an enemy unit with its back turned, and script him to turn around. If he still doesn't see you, fire off a shot. If he shoots at the bush, fire and drop prone to see if the rounds are accurate or go over your head. These are the tests that ArmA AI passes 100% of the time. Someone adapt that AI predictive position display script.

Chop! Chop!

Do you really want to be listening to Metalcraze bitch and moan all the way until release?

I've literally never played arma ever and got it down on my 5th attempt on regular. The first was just me getting mashed.. the following 3 were learning and changing bindings. Though, with that said, I'd bet most of the kills were actually done by the npcs, as I had a very hard time spotting anyone without binoculars, which don't really help much for aiming.

The npcs did seem to have superhuman accuracy, under the assumption that they too had CQC optics but I never actually looted any of them to check. Spotting I wouldn't say is that unbelievable in the infantry showcase, depending on their equipment. Again, I didn't check to see if they had binoculars or scopes. However the Scuba showcase was pretty brutal. I couldn't seem to find anywhere at all to effectively hide.. it felt a bit like I had a giant neon sign floating around above me.

I'm having issues with the scuba showcase. I disarm the first 2 or 3 mines.

Swim east and go on shore and ontop of the hill there.

My position is close enough to the truck to try to sneak down but i'm always spotted. Prone crawling etc.

What am i doing wrong here. I've managed to make it 1 time to the truck and not be spotted but then died to the 2 man patrol.

i solved it after the fith try.

run to the rocks use the stances give your buddys fire safety and kill the enemies on the hill with nade launcher.. then in the village kill the enemies and then to the hill and kill the spotters, run finished . its not that hard really..

i have already solved all mission only helicopter i am still trying ;)

So using cover, concealment and covering fire help you survive in a mil themed shooter. Nice.

In the scuba showcase, I found that when I

- DON'T call a mortar strike

- use stealth only in Regular (approaching form behind the corrugated iron shed, using the vehicle as an obstruction/concealment)

- sneak up and shoot the 2 vehicle sentries through the underside of the vehicle

- steal the launcher and rounds from the vehicle

- flee back into the grassy hillside using the vehicle and shed for concealment

- the launcher and rounds have disappeared from my gear :-(

Tried this a couple of times. Same thing. You don't get credit for completing the task of stealing the launcher unless you call in a mortar strike first (?). Seems like you get penalized for employing real-world commando stealth tactics (as I understand them). If I call in a mortar strike first, then all is OK, I get to keep the launcher.

Once you get into cover, lie low and mingle among the enemies (long grass, bushes, vehicles) the enemies spotting ability seems to fall dramatically. In Regular I have laid down in close proximity to an enemy in bushes and on the ground on the other side of a vehicle and shot at them numerous times without them having a clue as to where the shots were coming from.

Edited by MissionCreep

My position is close enough to the truck to try to sneak down but i'm always spotted. Prone crawling etc.

What am i doing wrong here. I've managed to make it 1 time to the truck and not be spotted but then died to the 2 man patrol.

I waited until they moved away, crawled to the truck, took the launcher, shot the chopper from behind the truck and just ran off into the water while the enemies took a few shots at me. Worked fine.

Though the guards at the base seemed to follow me back to the extraction point and me and the 2 guys waiting there were attacked while the end screen came. :p

My first attempt involved trying to steal the truck to run everyone over, realizing the damn thing was locked and running around it while under fire....

You can also call a mortar strike to distract/injure the sentries. Don't call in the strike so close that the truck is destroyed (a little damage is OK) and take cover before the rounds splash.

Edited by MissionCreep

I completed the scub showcase last night. I tried calling in the mortar strikes, That in itself took me forever to learn how to do. When the mortars hit the npcs were on me in an instant. I gave up that option after 2 tries. Went back to trying to sneak down prone, go to the vehicle and was able to get the rocket and sneak back.

Shooting down the chopper was easy. Getting back into the water and avoiding npc fire was tough. I swam down in the deep trenches thinking i might loose them but when i came back out at the evac point I had npc on the ridge killing my evac team. lol i'm just glad it completed.

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.

The scuba showcase is a lot easier if you swim back south after disabling the 3rd mine and coming ashore where the extract point is. That way you can run down the hill and attack the building with the AA launchers without having to deal with the jeep.

I completed the scub showcase last night. I tried calling in the mortar strikes, That in itself took me forever to learn how to do. When the mortars hit the npcs were on me in an instant. I gave up that option after 2 tries. Went back to trying to sneak down prone, go to the vehicle and was able to get the rocket and sneak back.

Shooting down the chopper was easy. Getting back into the water and avoiding npc fire was tough. I swam down in the deep trenches thinking i might loose them but when i came back out at the evac point I had npc on the ridge killing my evac team. lol i'm just glad it completed.

Thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.

I found this worked. Call 2 strikes from behind the tin shed, one at about 100 m near the guard tower and base center, one about 30-40 m on the far side of the vehicle. Don't wait for the first strike to call in the second. Call them in 1-2-bang-bang. Take cover from the splash behind the shed, you might have to mop up some survivors. Take the launcher and run fast to the cliff tops using first the vehicle, then the tin shed for cover. Shoot the chopper from the cliff tops, using the rocks for cover, then run straight down the rocks and swim to the exfil, staying deep but keeping out of the area of enemy sea patrols.

Edited by MissionCreep

Heli showcase - like a piece of cake, 3 tries - done. Scuba showcase - glitching, so didn't finish. Infantry showcase - 20 tries, AI skill 70% and they kick my ass constantly. I'm already tearing out my hair. GRRRRRR.

Got glitched in Heli Showcase. On the Deployment of the team to Charlie 28 (or whatever), team wouldn't disembark. Is there somehing I should have done? I landed right in the LZ, even turned off the engine. Nobody disembarked, so no task accomplished for that one. Kept going back after finishing other tasks, but still no team deployment from the chopper.

I really had a blast today finally successfully finishing the infantry showcase. Man, that was hard.

Took my I-don't-remember how many restarts. Only when I finally started to use saves I was able to properly advance in the settings at all. I think I used up to 5 save slots and had to resume 4 or 5 times during the mission to finally beat it. Although mission play time clocked at 18 minutes, in reality it must have been 1 1/2 hour.

When I started playing the mission, I usually ended up with only one guy of my team at the first small walls at the village borders. At that point we were mostly attacked from, kind of, behind actually. The enemy team seems to have used a small hill as cover. It was only the final mission I finally started more aggressively to engage, i.e. run and gun, where I really made progress. Hiding somewhere behind a stone wall got me shot, because I hardly saw the enemy but they made perfect shots. But as long as I was a (fast) moving target, only 1 out of 10 they hit me.

The final spotters where really though. I don't know if I were supposed to take them out from below with the barrel, but in the final success mission I ran around the whole hill and came from the other side, i.e. from north to south and approached their position from the top and with a grenade they were history.

AI's not perfect, i.e. my team got shot down pretty quickly. But they enemy was hard to spot and I guess outnumbered as by a few, so maybe it makes sense. But IMHO alpha team or whichever sign it was which hid in the city could really have just sprawled out to infiltrate the spotters. IMHO :)