Sign in to follow this  
lordprimate

Settings and FPS

ATOC uses some advanced processing when trees and grass are concerned, if you want best performance you disable it, if you want best visuals you turn it to max.
Thanks, I was quite confused because looking at ArmA II threads a lot of people found it looked worse when enabled... Are the visuals seriously better if it is activated?

Yay!

I recorded my first mission with fraps:

FPS locked at 40 by Fraps. Graph settings can be seen at the end of the video (almost all on high).

My rig: Intel i7 3770K 3.50GHz Ivy Bridge · 16GB Corsair Dominanator Platinum · ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe · GeForce 570GTX · TrackIR. I play this series since OpFlashpoint and I'm really happy of this α!

SERIOUSLY WTF.......

all these videos with pc's slower then the rig here and with MUCH better FPS... seriously WTF.....

red devil, you say your pc runs at 3.5 ghz, mines at 4.0ghz. Same amount of ram, etc but you get 40 fps and I get less then 20... Same thing with ARMA 2.. Everyone I know has a slower PC, yet they get great frames, and I see super low FPS....

Edited for Content.. note to self .. think then type..

Edited by Lordprimate

SERIOUSLY WTF.......

all these videos with pc's slower then mine .. and with MUCH better FPS... seriously WTF.....

red devil.. you say your pc runs at 3.5 ghz.. mines at 4.0ghz... same amount of ram. etc but you get 40 fps.. i get less then 20... seriously BIS WTF this is some BS..... Same thing with ARMA 2.. everyone i know has a slower PC ..they get great frames... but I get the SHIT FPS....

I'm more or less in your same situation, probably the engine still has to be optimized for the widest range of hardware possible...

Take also note that at the present time the game is seriously CPU intensive (especially AI routines), so expect to gain FPS while messing around via the editor with a single charachter (the player) ingame...

Yay!

I'm running a vaguely similar CPU, Q8400, and it's having a lot of trouble. If you're definitely going to play Arma3 when it releases/in a few months time then GO FOR IT, it's REALLY cheap at the moment. But you probably won't be able to play the game, at least not at all well, until your upgrade.

Well right now it's not the best time for me to buy a game that I can't play even if it's cheap, I already have a lot of expenses this month. Anyway, the question is not if but when I'm going to buy ArmA3. :) Thanks for the reply!

Hey I got a core 2 duo @ 2.5Ghz and Nvidea 8800gt, literally just meeting the minimal specs. I have pretty much every setting on low + pp is disabled. at these settings the game looks pretty shitty but hey I am used to it with arma 2 and all. My fps is anywhere from 10 - 40 depending on the terrain. Forests kill me (12 fps average I'd say), urban areas are just bearable (23 fps) and open hillsides with scattered foliage run nicely (35 fps) - All that's with zero AI. I played a bit of the infantry showcase and my fps was always below 20 but never below 10.

All in all its good enough to test stuff out with but I will definitely be upgrading before arma 3 comes out. If you want me to test anything more specific just give me a shout.

Yeah, I'm not picky about visuals either (played ARMA 2 on low/med from the beggining), but I was hoping to get at least +20FPS on the lowest settings. It seems I'm going to wait for the alpha lite version and maybe give it a go if I have time. I have one more question, do you get these low FPS in the editor with only the player on the map or during missions? So the low FPS is caused by the graphics or CPU. That being said I'm interested to see if playing the game with ARMA 2 addons and maps will improve the frame rate.

Below is a 60 second benchmark of flying a helicopter from the base over the city on ULTRA settings.

My system is 2 x GTX680 SLI 16gb ram 5ghz 2700k i7 @ 1920x1200 I usually game on 3 monitors but my rig can't handle that res on Arma 3

Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg

2633, 60000, 26, 62, 43.883

I haven't done a in depth test but, I'm getting noticeably better frame rates with SLI on. I haven't seen anyone else get this.

I have set PhysX to auto select, but should it be on CPU? Also noticed that ground detail is much more intensive than arma2 was

Intel Core i7 2600K 4.5 Ghz

SLI Dual GTX 570 2.5GB

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe

8GB DDR3 1600MHz

1050W Corsair Pro Silver 1050HX

120 GB SSD

Corsair H100 Liquid CPU Cooler

It seems that auto select works pretty good too

Edited by PlacidPaul

restarting my computer helped alot im running on ultra with with a solid 55fps! Thanks alot man!!!

This worked for me also. I restarted my game only not my computer.

im getting that with sli gtx580 so sli si not working for alpha it seems. :(
Not True, I have 680 in SLI (across 5910x1200) running the latest Nvidia Beta drivers (314.07) and getting up to 98% from both GPUs, there is a SLI profile for ArmA3 in them too. I have had to reduce the draw distances to get this though (down to 1600, 800, 100) and the sky flashes most of the time which is annoying! - Between 37 and 55fps on the infantry showcase!

Infantry mission has the least impact on performance.. try the helicopters one.

SERIOUSLY WTF.......

all these videos with pc's slower then the rig here and with MUCH better FPS... seriously WTF.....

red devil, you say your pc runs at 3.5 ghz, mines at 4.0ghz. Same amount of ram, etc but you get 40 fps and I get less then 20... Same thing with ARMA 2.. Everyone I know has a slower PC, yet they get great frames, and I see super low FPS....

Edited for Content.. note to self .. think then type..

Have you tried disabling crossfire?