Sign in to follow this  
mordeaniischaos

Not a fan of the HUD's aesthetic

Anyone else feel like the HUD is big and clunky and in the way? The thing I loved about the HUD in A2 is that it was almost all text, which was pretty small, and kept to the very edges of the screen. You barely saw any of it and you could easily disable almost all of it. Now, I find that it's ever present, always nagging away in the corner of my eye. And it's worse in a vehicle. I miss the old color scheme (I'll play with the colors to see if that helps any) but more than anything I miss the minimalism of the old theme. I don't need a fancy graphical UI. In fact, if it were up to me, there'd be a button to turn off all non-essential HUD, so basically anything that I don't pull up as a menu like the interaction menu or Gear menu.

Hopping in the helicopter I was pretty disappointed to see that I still had a crosshair, something I hate in ArmA games. I am playing a sim, shouldn't the HUD feel like a Sim HUD?

How do you guys feel about the HUD?

i feel that its alpha and you should collect a list of problems - then post it in a proper "bug" thread/system :)

Well you can customize its size, color and even disable it completely :)

Personally, I like it very much and absolutely prefer it over the old one!

From what ive seen from videos, it looks both more professional and concise, almost like a 3D package interface would look, im all for that kind of look esp for a simulator.

So what, I can't discuss it with people? I'm not going to just say I hate it before I get a chance to look into it, and I want to know what people think. I don't see a sticky thread for any such posts either. And the Feedback tracker has yet to go up.

---------- Post added at 07:31 ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 ----------

Where do you disable it completely without getting rid of essentials like gear menus and the like? I turned everything I could off in the difficulty options, but still had the crosshair in cockpit, still had the radar in the middle of my screen about an inch from the edge of the screen, etc.

And I have it as small as it goes. I still wish it was just text, because as it is it's much too distracting in my opinion. And it's really odd that the crosshair being off doesn't work in the chopper (at least the little bird, that's all I've tried so far).

It looks nice in passing, but I don't want it to look pretty, because I'm not playing Halo. I want it to look as minimalist as possible. Where possible, I think it should just be text.

I still have to play around more with it, I'm currently rendering a video so can't really jump in, but I definitely don't like the default and unless it's very customizable, I don't think there's much I'll be able to do to completely fix my issues with it.

---------- Post added at 07:37 ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 ----------

From what ive seen from videos, it looks both more professional and concise, almost like a 3D package interface would look, im all for that kind of look esp for a simulator.

I guess I don't really get from that, because that's about as far from real world military HUDs as you can get, which are generally as bare bones as possible.

Agreed, a crosshair should never, ever even be considered to be included in a sim. It doesn't matter if it can be turned off, it's still extremely annoying that it even exist. Makes the game feel like an arcade shooter. And there's apparently still a magic bullet/magazine counter too. Disappointing! Too bad BIS didn't look closer at Red Orchestra 2, that is an awesome HUD.

However, these are just small complaints. Overall, judging from the videos, the improvements over Arma 2 seem amazing. Now, if they could just sort out the Steam keys for us who bought the Support Edition. I want to try it now, and not have to wait several days! Probably should just have bought it from Steam...

I don't mind crosshairs as long as you can turn them off in a way that ensures they're gone and will never appear. ArmA II had a problem with this, hopefully III won't.

i feel that its alpha and you should collect a list of problems - then post it in a proper "bug" thread/system :)

As I don't see a sticky thread on this: Is there also a Mantis bugtracker and if so, where? Or are we supposed to report here?

EDIT: http://feedback.arma3.com/my_view_page.php

Edited by tortuosit

Agreed, a crosshair should never, ever even be considered to be included in a sim. It doesn't matter if it can be turned off, it's still extremely annoying that it even exist. Makes the game feel like an arcade shooter. And there's apparently still a magic bullet/magazine counter too. Disappointing! Too bad BIS didn't look closer at Red Orchestra 2, that is an awesome HUD.

However, these are just small complaints. Overall, judging from the videos, the improvements over Arma 2 seem amazing. Now, if they could just sort out the Steam keys for us who bought the Support Edition. I want to try it now, and not have to wait several days! Probably should just have bought it from Steam...

I disagree strongly.

Have you ever used a real gun? When you hold one you know the general direction youre pointing it, and even from the hip quite accurate shots are possible on low to medium distance. That is not possible without a crosshair in a computer game, because you dont have the "feel" for the gun.

Same as the zoom and 3rd person features. They are simply needed in a computer game, because zoom allows to compensate the pixels, which are not there in real life and 3rd person compensates (well, at least a little) the low FoV and action like peeking with just one eye around the corner, or with a mirror.

Actually, I've found that I'm more than capable of accurate hip fire with out the crosshair, even when using (and in fact often BETTER) the aiming deadzone in ArmA. All you need to do is follow the barrel. Crosshairs are not realistic, and you can absolutely fire accurately without one. I've been doing it for quite some time.

Yeah, if you have a reference point like dirt on the screen. :P

Its different from weapon to weapon. You cant count on the barrel.

Actually after playing ArmA 3, I agree with OP's statement.

The crosshair is overdone now and because of it, the game feels like a generic shooter.

While a crosshair may come across as unrealistic..it does serve a purpose. In real life (Speaking from years of experience,) when you have your weapon pointed out but you aren't looking down the sights you have a general "feel" of where the rifle is pointed as long as the target is within 10 or so yards. Able to hit somewhere on a man size target if need be.

Without a crosshair in Arma you lose this "feel" after about 10 feet.

If you are clearing a area in game and you walk around with your sights up you lose your ability to look around with just your head. This lowers your situational awareness and makes it harder to tell where your teamates are while covering your sector.

So I don't mind the crosshair. The only time I use it is if a target suddenly comes into view (ex. walks around a corner) at very close distances and I have to pop off multiple shots in rapid succession as i bring my sights up.

You do know that you can turn off cross hair in game opinion do you?