Sign in to follow this  
xspektre

ArmA 3 - Chernarus and Takistan Already Ported

I apologize if this is misplaced, I've searched the topic and couldn't find it. I also didn't believe it fit in with any of the Sticky or General threads, so..

ArmA II Takistani and Chernarus have both already been ported by Youtuber "ProjectCygnus". It seems he has already ported over an APC and helicopter.

I wonder where he got the permission to port it over.

probably nowhere, but considering it will be released as freeware it shouldnt be an issue. (obv include the authors name in the readme or whatever as is standard)

I don't think permission is required (or, more accurately, permission is granted), but the map files themselves cannot be distributed. You must already own the map i.e. have ArmA2.

It's doable, same as was putting Armed Assault in ArmA2. To avoid copyright stuff (and gigs to DL), most content was extracted from Armed Assault client-side (read: need Armed Assault installed anyway), mod itself provided mainly configs, and stuff that had to be changed for compatibility

2013 is a good year. And hopefully all DayZ folks will go over to DayZ standalone. No DayZ please in ArmA 3.

Amen to that

I tried porting over ArmA 2 content into the addons folder and enabled it in-game. Now when I start the game up, I get to a black screen before the main menu. I must be doing something wrong :S

Hello there

It's not really as simple as dumping a folder over. (for A2 and AO). I wont go into specifics here as I don't know Bohemia's stance on the import export to A3.

But, If you do just dump it over be prepared for long waits and oodles of errors.

Rgds

LoK

I have tried to import heli and plane.

Heli work perfectly, but plane....

And, it is legal ?

I have tried to import heli and plane.

Heli work perfectly, but plane....

And, it is legal ?

Pretty sure there is no way they can tell you you can't move the files yourself. As long as no one is distributing files from the original game, there's nothing illegal going on, regardless of what BI says or tries to do. You've got the content on your drive and you've paid for it, so there's not much they can do, and trying to stop anyone will make them look like complete assholes.

Luckily, they've been fine with that kind of stuff so we're in the clear.

No one would want to download 8 GB off of Armaholic anyway, so I'm actually kind of happy about that limitation.

At least they have plans to add stuff back up, even though it'll likely not support a lot of things and will look out of place next to the new content.

Well I tried this out and I don't get any ArmA3 startup at all with my @Chernarus mod folder enabled.

I hope that devs will remake somehow whole Chernarus, like here on map :teeth:

Chernarus_whole.gif

Hope to see a good port of the A2 maps on armaholic soon, just want the maps!

something is wrong/incompatible with the day lighting in ported arma2-maps (takistan/chernarus). No hdr-effects. Take on Heli rearmed on chernarus looks by far better.

Forgive him, you know, 60-70% people here didn't realize yet they bought an alpha.

Sorry for my bad english.

---------- Post added at 16:12 ---------- Previous post was at 16:05 ----------

Forgive him, you know, 60-70% people here didn't realize yet they bought an alpha.

Sorry for my bad english.

Haha, thats the best part. I hear people complaining all the time that the game is "Stupid and Glitchy". I just want to reach my hand through my mic and choke them. People, its an ALPHA! Every screen in every single menu says its an alpha, and it doesnt represent the final version of the game... Kids these days... They know how to script, yet they cant even read.... Tisk Tisk.. :butbut:

Haha, thats the best part. I hear people complaining all the time that the game is "Stupid and Glitchy". I just want to reach my hand through my mic and choke them. People, its an ALPHA! Every screen in every single menu says its an alpha, and it doesnt represent the final version of the game... Kids these days... They know how to script, yet they cant even read.... Tisk Tisk.. :butbut:

BIS forums needs a like button. lol Agree 100%

I've ported over both arma2 and oa. If you delete certian stuff it works ok. The biggest annoyence I have right now is my grenade explosions and smoke look terrible, BUT I deleted the CA pbo on OA and whalla explosions and smoke back to normal.... BUTTTT some of my buildings get black. lol Hopefully when they fix things in beta or final release that will go away, but my guess is they will package a DLC with those maps. :/ But If I'm not broke by then I'll gladly pay for it so long as it doesn't cost as much as the game..... UNLESSS they add new units and story lines then maybe. lol

Edited by Mikey74

There is no way there won't be a DayZ for ARMA3 given the increased revenue and player base it bought to ARMA2.

May I ask why people want this? I never played much ArmA 2, but I played a decent amount of DayZ...but I'm just not seeing the issue.

Online play, when DayZ came about it was frustrating to find any servers unless you use remote. There needs to be filtering, better filtering if dayZ is to be on. That and the amount of people on youtube and various social websites yammering on about "dayz" on arma 3 videos has likely upset many people to the point of disliking many of them, or at least the ones who do things like that.

Edited by NodUnit

I bought Arma 2 because I had heard someone talking about DayZ, played DayZ for a bit, but found I really love Arma 2 for what it is. Don't hate on DayZ, it's just a different kind of game to the one you prefer. Full credit to BI for creating a product flexible enough to cater to people in both camps, I think.

Why dig up this thread? And I think people have every right to be upset about dayZ for this reason alone

Generally I try to be very understanding but I won't lie, the notion of people wanting to bring dayZ makes me grind my teeth.

Why? Because DayZ is getting its own stand alone but apparently that is not good enough, and I don't want to see the server population mirror Arma 2 in that video.

Yes everyone should be allowed to play what they want but at that point it is downright intrusive for anyone else...seriously how many empty servers do they need? It practically drowned out everything else.

The thing is, DayZ was tolerable at first, when people would work together and not always kill one another..now the game itself is a mere shadow of its former self, with people shooting on sight, lieing to your face about being friendly and then shooting you in the back, essentially creating an atmosphere wherein you cannot trust anyone unless you already know them.

This attitude then leaked onto Arma 2 servers and you can imagine how that went...so yes I would say people have a right to even hate dayZ if they wish.

(technically they have that right anyway via free will but there is a reason for it, it's not merely out of ignorance.)

Edited by NodUnit