Sign in to follow this  
daringd

getting a pond to work as a pond?

I#m having a bit of trouble getting the 'snappable pond' that Sir Bushlurker created, to work properly.

I know it is all about config files, or in my case the lack of one, but I have no idea how to create one. Does anybody have any helpful advice here? I'm assuming all of the values from one of the existing BIS pond configs will work, but the class name would be different and I'm really out of my depth at that point.

here is the BIS pond config

class CfgPatches
{
class CAStructures_E_Misc_Misc_Water
{
 units[] = {};
 weapons[] = {};
 requiredVersion = 1.5;
 requiredAddons[] = {"CAStructures_E_Misc"};
};
};
class CfgSurfaces
{
class Default;
class Freshwater: Default
{
 access = 2;
 files = "watersurface*";
 rough = 0.0;
 dust = 0.0;
 soundEnviron = "water";
 friction = 0.9;
 restitution = 0;
 isWater = 1;
 character = "Empty";
 impact = "default_Mat";
};
};
//};

I guess everything after the 'class CfgSurfaces' I guess is fine, it's all that garb before that I don't know about, or even how to sort of, 'set' the class names and then what they in turn refer to.

Sorry for being a bit of a numpty on this one... I find it incredibly frustrating not having the time to devote to sitting and properly being able to learn all of this basic, important stuff. If only I was rich and didn't need to work. But that is a very un-ambitious reason to want to be rich.

D

Edited by daringd

the 'snappable pond' that Sir Bushlurker created

Actually, it was originally created by Randy Stratton - waay back in the early days, I've just kept it afloat (sic) and prevented it from being lost along with the original thread, in the depths of the "previous threads"...

Anyhow - it's totally easy to use... put the model wherever you want - you could hide it in a folder inside your terrain itself if you're not making an objects pack, or anywhere in your objects pack if you have one... Add it to Vis from that location - place it as a normal object on top of the depression in the ground that you want to turn into a pond, then use the "set absolute height" script to set it at the exact water level you want...

All the leftover bits of the pond square should "dig in" to the sides of the pond bank and not be visible... you'll get a pond the shape of the "hole"...

If the area is too big for one tile to cover, add more till the area is covered... they snap, so you know for sure they're exactly aligned, then you select them all and "set absolute height" them all at once... you'll get a perfect unbroken pond surface...

.. but the AI don't see it as "water"... ;)

B

Ah.. then that is the problem, it works, as stated, but doesn't act as water... o it's not me being a numpty afterall! good for effects though, small puddles you can drive through and the like (bumpy ground with a cunning hidden pond lurking beneath...)

all is clear, I'll just adapt the landscape and use the BIS ponds for this little project of mine!

D

I've found that a good compromise with the pond object is to make the maximum depth of any pond around 1.3m... That's enough to have the AI wading to their armpits, but not quite deep enough to trigger the swimming animation. No "lost kit" problems... Armour can cross, though small civ cars will swamp, as they should...

The one major drawback is, since the AI don't see the pond as water (in fact, they don't see it at all), they'll usually walk directly across rather than around if that's where they want to go.

Even more unrealistically, they can go prone while in the "water" with no ill-effects... and shoot you from under the water!...

B

is there any way to build a "wall" only for the AI around the water, disallowing them to enter it at all?

is there any way to build a "wall" only for the AI around the water, disallowing them to enter it at all?

Theoretically I think you could make an invisible object that could do it. If you put those big rock cliff things partially in the ground I think the AI refuse to go within to their bounding box. So if a tiny bit is showing above ground that might stop them. I'm not 100% sure on that though. It is passed on something that Mondkalb mentioned a long time ago.