Placebo

Arma 3 Photography : Questions and Comments

1 minute ago, ineptaphid said:

HHas something changed with the splendid camera, or have i just forgotten how to use it?? I used to easily make these crazy skies and sunsets by messing  with the aperture and the time of day etc..But now i just cannot do it.

I spent 20 mins trying to make the sky red today... Like these old pics i did- I want to recreate the style of them. 

I've been having the same problem for a bit now.

• Like 1

Hey hey

I don't use the aperture much, mine is done by manually clicking along the time of day until I get a hint of red / blue sunrise/sunset then tap the arrow to get to the right point (in minuets). Not sure if the seasons play a role also?

Granted today's one worked perfect at first then when I tried some new angles the deep red/orange you get was hard to find. (Sidenote - using redshade blusky which gives darker colors ect hence the blood red)

• Like 3

Yeah, I've found that it comes down to modifying the weather and time live, finding the perfect angle, and some careful post-processing/editing

In my game I have the gamma reduced to .6, but for some reason it doesn't apply to screenshots so they don't come out looking exactly like they render in game and it is quite annoying. My preferred image editor doesn't have any way to reduce gamma either, I usually have to tweak the contrast and brightness some but it doesn't quite do what I want it to.

• Like 2

Ok i get that. Still-it seems something has changed. If you look at the pic i posted above of the Chinook-those crazy bright orange clouds just dont seem possible now. And that was only taken a few months back.'

There is no post processing or image editing in any of my pics. I used to get those results by modifying the time and weather like you said, and also tweaking the aperture. 

Ah well..I'll keep trying.

1 minute ago, ineptaphid said:

Ok i get that. Still-it seems something has changed. If you look at the pic i posted above of the Chinook-those crazy bright orange clouds just dont seem possible now. And that was only taken a few months back.'

There is no post processing or image editing in any of my pics. I used to get those results by modifying the time and weather like you said, and also tweaking the aperture. 

Ah well..I'll keep trying.

Pre-visual upgrade perhaps?

Just now, wsxcgy said:

Pre visual-upgrade perhaps?

Definitely not. The second pic I posted above was taken on the new version of Malden-so it is only from this summer.

• Like 1

The terrain a screenshot is taken on will also play a big part in the outcome, due to different lighting, skybox and tone mapping configurations. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Evil Organ said:

The terrain a screenshot is taken on will also play a big part in the outcome, due to different lighting, skybox and tone mapping configurations. 

Was just thinking that...A lot of the pics I did that had the most dramatic skies were done on maps like Clafghan which has brighter lighting and deeper shadows...Hmmm.... I must investigate!

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, haleks said:

@Greenfist: how in the world did you do that? ^^

There was 3 key ingredients involved: 3den editor, cold lager after a long week, and Photoshop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Oh man, for a moment I thought you found a way to resize models ingame. :D

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Awesome pic Greenfist. 

BTW, did you guys get your fake passports? LoL

Looks like we have a spammer in the  photo thread, reported.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, stburr91 said:

Awesome pic Greenfist. 

BTW, did you guys get your fake passports? LoL

Looks like we have a spammer in the  photo thread, reported.  

He's gone

I want to apologize for answering now, I saw this thread today, I did not know it existed.
I am proud to know that you guys like the captures I make, and to congratulate all the users who take their valuable time to making complex scenes and taking the best shot possible.
My English is very bad, I use google translator, that's why I do not usually post.
And finally, I would like to know if someone can help me make a thread to be able to launch an addon with most of my animations, as I said above my English is very bad and I do not express myself very well. Greetings.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, nikoaton said:

I want to apologize for answering now, I saw this thread today, I did not know it existed.
I am proud to know that you guys like the captures I make, and to congratulate all the users who take their valuable time to making complex scenes and taking the best shot possible.
My English is very bad, I use google translator, that's why I do not usually post.
And finally, I would like to know if someone can help me make a thread to be able to launch an addon with most of my animations, as I said above my English is very bad and I do not express myself very well. Greetings.

You can go here:

https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/forum/156-arma-3-addons-mods-complete/

And press "Start New Topic", it's in a green box. If you need any other help PM me :)

• Like 4

@nikoaton

For a second I thought this was an actual vietname picture...

3F758520B617D3B4AD964BBF445534BBA2B7E56B

• Like 6

On 04/10/2017 at 8:54 PM, ineptaphid said:

Was just thinking that...A lot of the pics I did that had the most dramatic skies were done on maps like Clafghan which has brighter lighting and deeper shadows...Hmmm.... I must investigate!

In my screnshots i always set morning/evening, stop time, jump through NVG, Thermal and then back to normal and it always looks like  this. If i resume time it will go back to original "state".
Maps on screenshots below: Diyala and Prei Khmaoch Luong 
vAL67ze.png
VuRHKm5.png
FGevhTL.png

• Like 2

Good idea! I think a lot of it is map dependant also.

@Alex150201 I thought that was a real pic as well :) Was thinking he had done a great job of matching the poses to a real pic :D

• Like 1

@ineptaphid

Akthough the pics are nice, I think you made a mistake:

2 delta boys and 1 pilote : this is Super 64 crash site, not super 61 ;-)

2 hours ago, wiki said:

@ineptaphid

Akthough the pics are nice, I think you made a mistake:

2 delta boys and 1 pilote : this is Super 64 crash site, not super 61 ;-)

Damn it! That's what i meant :D I'll edit it now.That will teach me to post pics at 4 am... Also others have pointed out that the wreck itself is a DAP uh-60 ,which i know makes no sense. Unfortunately, it is the only blackhawk wreck model available.

• Like 2

Cheers chaps, sunsets were made for Apaches :D

• Like 3