Placebo

Arma 3 Photography : Questions and Comments

3 hours ago, R0adki11 said:

@thebuckfastwinehow did you get the seas to be so choppy in that screenshot? Did you use a script or 3den setting?

@aliabualrub in you recent post, is sahrani maps the CUP Terrain Pack? If it is please list it as CUP Terrain Pack.

Yes I remember that used some photoshop

@R0adki11 Its kinda of an anomaly with certain parts of the little cumbrae map, put wind on high set wind direction set waves to high and set weather to storm it does not happen on vanilla maps you can also mess with wave heights via set waves but my skills in that department somewhat lack. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, thebuckfastwine said:

@R0adki11 Its kinda of an anomaly with certain parts of the little cumbrae map, put wind on high set wind direction set waves to high and set weather to storm it does not happen on vanilla maps you can also mess with wave heights via set waves but my skills in that department somewhat lack. 

Ahh! Mystery solved. Incoming surfing pics :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/2/2018 at 12:28 AM, R0adki11 said:

Its some that was decided higher than my pay grade (not that i actually get paid for been a moderator, i am only a volunteer community member) @BohemiaBeckwill be able to clarify for you.

@BohemiaBeck: Some clarification on that would be welcome indeed.

I understand why Star Wars Opposition is banned (Opposition mods are blatant rip-off), but I couldn't find any information on Star Wars mods in general being completely forbidden on Arma 3. A lot of legit SW mods do exist for other games; if it is indeed forbidden to create assets inspired by the SW universe, it should be made clear to everyone - right now I can't find such a rule written anywhere.

It would be best to warn modders that Star Wars is a total no-go, instead of risking a waste of everyone's time with DMCA coming from the blue...

• Like 4

FYI, the IP rights holder (Disney) EXPLICITLY PROHIBIT the re-creation of their IP except for designated licencees. So, if someone comes forth with a legal contract between themselves and Disney, then THAT exception will be granted (according to Disney). ANYTHING else, is otherwise prohibited (again according to Disney), hence why the blanket ban. 

Now is where I show my favourite video about consent. It's about tea and sex. If you swap that for "mod" or "Star Wars", it will become clear to you all. 

4 hours ago, FallujahMedic -FM- said:

FYI, the IP rights holder (Disney) EXPLICITLY PROHIBIT the re-creation of their IP except for designated licencees

Again, I can't find anything about such a prohibition, at least on the internet.

We all know Disney is more protective of their IP than most : they did pull a number of selected 3d models and mods from several websites (while leaving others intact) - but I never heard anything about a total ban on  SW related mods.

In fact, SW is still very much present on the modding scene for various games, some of these mods are well-known, and yet Disney doesn't seem like they are going to take them down.

This is quite confusing, and like I said, that blanket ban should be made loud and clear for everyone. A clear warning to all modders, with detailled informations and sources, would be more usefull than a video about tea & sex.

• Like 1

@Haleks , 

It was the answer I received when I spoke to one of Disney's legal counsels at an event. Feel free to challenge it if you like, but I wouldn't advise it. 

• Thanks 1

Well I think it's a polite and discreet way from him to say "can you do better content or stop posting?" and I must say that I agree with him.

You basically send us your screenshots of the day, it's not the purpose of this topic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

@GSRI_Calden, your post makes you look both foolish and snobbish at the same time. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, EO said:

@GSRI_Calden, your post makes you look both foolish and snobbish at the same time. 

George was asking how to ban someone from reacting to his public content, I don't find this properly adequate.

My answer can look rude, and I'm sorry for that, but I'm just giving my opinion as you give yours.

• Like 1

There is an "Ignored Users" setting in Account Settings that he could use to block a forum member, I would imagine the Forum Team regard this as an adequate request/solution.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

George is a prolific poster in that thread. With that volume of exposure, I guess one can expect some unusual reactions.

Personally, I'd advise him to ignore it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can confidently say that at least 50% of the screenshots of his in the past 6 months have been 240p screens of random, uninteresting things in the virtual reality terrain. I can't see any merit in that, its practically spam. why are we defending and endorsing this? I have nothing against him as a person at all, but I do have something against posting screenshots that show no evidence of any substance or effort. especially in this day in age, where the bar for screenshots has been set much higher, as just about anyone can do a decent looking pic very easily with such a wealth of utilities and animations out there. delete my post, call me an asshole, whatever. but this is what it is.

• Like 5

@wsxcgy, some opinions are best kept private, but since your happy to publicly flame a fellow community member let me enlighten you on a few things..... 

8 hours ago, wsxcgy said:

240p screens of random, uninteresting things in the virtual reality terrain. I can't see any merit in that, its practically spam. why are we defending and endorsing this?

Not everyone who post pictures have access to high-end hardware, George has stated in the past he has a low-end setup, possibly a laptop, if this is the case, who are we to judge...

....but I do have something against posting screenshots that show no evidence of any substance or effort.

Again, maybe you are unaware, but George is a prolific scripter and most of his screenshots show and promote his scripting work, I think this covers substance and effort...

delete my post, call me an asshole, whatever. but this is what it is.

:face_palm:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Just my opinion, but pictures that are primarily to promote a mod or script belong in their release/development topic, not the screenshots topic.

• Like 5

To the George thing. Most of his screenshots are just reposts of things that he posts on his own mods threads.
Which violates the cross-posting rule.

He is just reposting it to gain more exposure which I'd count as spam personally.

I've reported the rule violations accordingly. We'll see what the Moderators think.

1 hour ago, Tankbuster said:

....but pictures that are primarily to promote a mod or script belong in their release/development topic, not the screenshots topic.

Certainly no rule forbidding this in the Photography thread.

On 07/04/2018 at 8:57 PM, R0adki11 said:

Well a simple solution would be if you intend to post a screenshot of WIP content, why not create a thread in ARMA 3 - ADDONS & MODS: DISCUSSION. That way its very clear what is it, especially if you link back to it when posting an photo on the photography thread.

You're quoting me out of context. Removing the words "in my opinion" puts a rather different texture on what I said. I never said there was a rule, your reply implies I did.

Since I am kind of the origin of this little drama I would like to try to end it by apologizing to the people I could have possibly offended. Maybe my way to see this topic is too sharp.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, EO said:

@wsxcgy, some opinions are best kept private, but since your happy to publicly flame a fellow community member let me enlighten you on a few things..... 

Not everyone who post pictures have access to high-end hardware, George has stated in the past he has a low-end setup, possibly a laptop, if this is the case, who are we to judge...

Again, maybe you are unaware, but George is a prolific scripter and most of his screenshots show and promote his scripting work, I think this covers substance and effort...

:face_palm:

admittedly I wasnt aware how much of the scripting was his own work. but for that matter, I'd have to agree with Tankbuster and Dedmen's sentiments. as a promotion, it belongs in a thread dedicated to whatever it is promoting. thats just my take though.

I would really like to reiterate this again because you seemed to miss it in my first post but I have nothing against GEORGE FLOROS GR, I'm not trying to flame him. I can understand not having top-of-the-line hardware. I've been there and I get it, I don't hold anything against him for not dishing out his rent or whatever for a gaming PC. there's nothing wrong with a quick showcase of content for something you've been working on. but from my point of view, the thread doesn't seem like the appropriate place for those types of posts. I take screenshots of the things I put in my retxture addon in the virtual arsenal, there's nothing artistic about them and I put absolutely no effort into them, but I also post these screens exclusively in my thread for the addon. I'm sure this episode has roused the moderation team so we'll see what they have to say on the matter I guess. 

• Like 1

OK Guys ,

thanks everyone for replying in my question , in a community of grown ups.

There is also a purpose of cource , posting my personal work in this topic , in order to  add a link to my content , for those who are interested.

This doesn't mean that i'm wating for the others to get a like  and for sure , this topic doesn't have a certain theme , resolution, artistic direction or anything like that.

Everything is clear in the first page.

#Screenshots

#The certain issue has been disscussed before , in older posts.

I'm sure that there were not in the past , this kind of static animation mods , in order to create these kind of scenes and for sure the general  quality of my pictures has nothing to do with other posts , even maybe the time creating my picture , might be shorter from others,

but since we are not playing arma in XBOX , then there will be a big variety and variations of these images.

Personally , i will stop posting in this topic ,

since there are persons offended by this , but for once more , the majority of this Forum , probably are mature people , so we should also act like .

Thanks again everyone who is supporting my work ,

and as i write to all my work :

Thanks to All script contributors
Thanks to everyone who tries to do the best for this game!
Thanks to BIS for such a great platform .
Thanks to BIS Community and BIS Community Forums .
Thanks to Armaholic Community and Forums .

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

You keep posting pics @GEORGE FLOROS GR If it's ARMA related then it's all good. My galaxy pic was hardly exceptional but it was interesting to me and I thought I'd share it.

The thread is exactly for promoting mods (and the game itself), as you are directed to post a list of the mods used in the screenshot.

I like to see peoples different take on ARMA and different mods used. Thats how you see interesting mods you'd may not of seen or considered using.

And the picture thread has had me download several mods for exactly those reasons.

Personally I like George's pics, infact I like any and all pics posted, as a snap shot of the person posting them and what they get upto in game.

Infact I may just post up some shots that were taken for my own pleasure and ego stroking.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Dedmen said:

To the George thing.

I'm a person you know.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1