Placebo

Arma 3 Photography : Questions and Comments

1 hour ago, lordfrith said:

hows this for an idea: if a private mod is legit it should still be able to be credited properly without just saying 'private mod'. so you could say 'uses custom textures of Y' or uses '@Xmod' by permission of user y'.  or some better way of writing it

That's not what "Private" means in the case of such addons, it means that for whatever reason the author/creator has deemed it should NOT be in the public domain, and for me that means that neither should any pictures of said addon be available publicly.

Posting screens of something you have, knowing full well others will want it only leads to problems down the line, it's the proverbial carrot on a stick, with no chance of eating that carrot.

Here's what normally happens, the OP gets bombarded with PM's and begging for access, due to the addon being super cool, they will even offer financial incentives, throw in their own "ripped/ported content as swapsies, once that person receives that "private" addon, he then thinks it's cool to add into his "clan" mod, and before long, your "private" addon finds it's way into several hundred individuals, who will not think twice about passing it on to friends.... that's the real scenario.

There's no such thing as a legit "Private" addon, legit addons are publicly available, or WiP's given in trust to individuals to "showcase" for the creator.

• Like 4

Funny this "forum police" in monitoring stolen addons, while in other networks like Facebook and in the steam community itself the stolen addons are exposed without any problem ....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jonathan Barbosa said:

Funny this "forum police" in monitoring stolen addons, while in other networks like Facebook and in the steam community itself the stolen addons are exposed without any problem ....

In case you hadn't noticed, this isn't face book, nor steam, different houses, different rules, and it doesn't get much simpler than keep your "private" addons private.. this is a public forum, and the rules, or the new rules should be respected.

Why is this an issue to you?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Jonathan Barbosa said:

Its quite simple, all we ask is that you be respectful of our forum rules while you are a member of these forums. If you are unsure what they are they can be found here and here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So by what I have seen IN THIS FORUM can not be stolen or private content. OK. But if it is this way who steals or has private addons simply does not put anything here but in steam and facebook. And everything continues in the same way ...

I have nothing against these rules, but it's like rain in the wet.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Jonathan Barbosa said:

So by what I have seen IN THIS FORUM can not be stolen or private content. OK. But if it is this way who steals or has private addons simply does not put anything here but in steam and facebook. And everything continues in the same way ...

I have nothing against these rules, but it's like rain in the wet.

*REDACTED BY MODERATOR*
The whole point that goes over your head completely, is that private addons regardless of where they are posted, should be KEPT Private, not showboating in the public domain..... ie HERE!!!

You also miss the point that people CAN make screenshots appear PUBLICLY, or FRIENDS, or PRIVATE, so that only the poster can see them, there's no such ability here.

It's common sense, if you keep posting ripped/ported content (I dislike the word stolen, sure someone somewhere stole it, and then placed it on these Russian 3d forums/sites) sooner or later, someone with a sharp eye will notice, and slap "notice" on you. You want to post such content on your OWN steam page, that's up to you, unless you make them public, only a select group of YOUR choosing gets to see them.

Why would you want to draw attention to yourself as a person who is quite happy using "stolen" content, just to be popular amongst the modding community ? 

Again, you seem to be taking  this VERY personally.

Edited by FallujahMedic -FM-
Language

Having read the last few posts, I have a question:

My unit has mods made specifically for us. They aren't publicly available for download, however members can use them for promotional material, screenshot etc, as log as they don't publish them.

Can I post pictures with them here?

If yes, what do I call them? unpublished, homemade, sacred?

I understand both sides of this coin and want nothing more then to clear this out so I can safely  return to one of my favorite pastimes:  posting screenshots on the forums. I took a break and things have clearly changed.

26 minutes ago, M. Wolf said:

My unit has mods made specifically for us. They aren't publicly available for download, however members can use them for promotional material, screenshot etc, as log as they don't publish them.

If only your unit can use them and download them, that would make them private. Which means it wouldn't be fair to post them here, as no one on this forum would have access to them. Also i would check your mod pack, as one of your screenshots you posted recently included an asset which will have been taken from Dayz which is against its EULA.

I understand both sides of this coin and want nothing more then to clear this out so I can safely come return to one of my favorite pastimes:  posting screenshots on the forums. I took a break and things have clearly changed.

The new rule has only been implemented in the last week or so, as recently lots of "private addons" have been posted in screenshots. I have raised the rule with our head moderator, so that we offer further clarity in what is allowed and what is not.

• Like 2

Thanks for the clarification. Its always good to see the rules adapting to newish problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a question, if a unit has there own custom patches and roundels does that count as a private mod too ?

9 minutes ago, B_Fox said:

I have a question, if a unit has there own custom patches and roundels does that count as a private mod too ?

not a moderator so forgive me if I'm being presumptuous, but I wouldn't worry about things like patches, decorations, berets, and whatnot. pretty insignificant and understandably unit-specific. 

2 hours ago, B_Fox said:

I can see no issue with that sort of thing.

You guys understand the difference between "Private" and "Personal" right?

Several of you are playing pure ignorance here, everyone within this community knows full well what is meant by "Private" addons.. it means pure and simply these addons feature content that has been ported from other games, or is using ripped content from Arma  3. Hence the reason they're called "Private" Have you guys forgotten that I was active in the addon making community and know full well who is using "ripped" content and who isn't?

You are fooling nobody, especially me, who had LOTS of ported content in "Private addons" that I shared with prominent posters here, under the instructions NOT to share pics on THIS forum for very obvious reasons.

I never had an issue with seeing ported content before, as 90% of it was kept "private" but some of you, and you know who you are, didn't respect my wishes, and you started sharing my addons with other people, renown for using "ported" content in their addons.

Nobody is saying to stop using these addons, what the Mods are saying is that keep the pictures of "Private" addons... Private, as in not here, a public forum, stop using steam workshop and face book as examples, again, different houses, different rules.

How difficult is this to adhere to?

• Like 2

It's more like you don't have permission to drive the car. I can understand someone disliking this change, to an extend I don't agree with it either but stealing models and porting them into arma 3 is straight up illegal and the law is beyond us. I don't think you've seen a lot of photographs showcasing stolen automobiles in let's say a magazine or a news paper unless it's for the PD.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alex150201 said:

It's more like you don't have permission to drive the car. I can understand someone disliking this change, to an extend I don't agree with it either but stealing models and porting them into arma 3 is straight up illegal and the law is beyond us. I don't think you've seen a lot of photographs showcasing stolen automobiles in let's say a magazine or a news paper unless it's for the PD.

I do understand it is illegal but I feel like this change is completely unnecessary, there are literally people who are moderators for a reason, don't ruin the privilege for people with "Personal" mods as Road Runner put it because someone posted ported content.

Just now, Meowsiphstalin1 said:

I do understand it is illegal but I feel like this change is completely unnecessary, there are literally people who are moderators for a reason, don't ruin the privilege for people with "Personal" mods as Road Runner put it because someone posted ported content.

Alright so you would prefer if we allowed you to post whatever you wanted, you know take your time to dress all the characters up put them in the poses you want them just set them up for a picture, take it, edit it if you want, post it and then having it deleted off the page because as moderators we have the power to do so and some of us pretty much live on these forums. I haven't posted too many photographs on the A3 Photography topic but the ones I did despite them being really average I spent a good half a day to get them looking as I wanted and people like let's say direone for example who have phenomenal photographs and probably spend a lifetime on them just because they used 1 "Private" mod they have all their time gone to waste because we have to delete the photograph. Also, RR is okay with this change and as far as I can tell he prefers it that why so why mention him?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Alex150201 said:

Alright so you would prefer if we allowed you to post whatever you wanted, you know take your time to dress all the characters up put them in the poses you want them just set them up for a picture, take it, edit it if you want, post it and then having it deleted off the page because as moderators we have the power to do so and some of us pretty much live on these forums. I haven't posted too many photographs on the A3 Photography topic but the ones I did despite them being really average I spent a good half a day to get them looking as I wanted and people like let's say direone for example who have phenomenal photographs and probably spend a lifetime on them just because they used 1 "Private" mod they have all their time gone to waste because we have to delete the photograph. Also, RR is okay with this change and as far as I can tell he prefers it that why so why mention him?

What I'm saying is that people want to post pictures with cool gear.. It helps pics looks more authentic most of the time and in my opinion helps a lot with variety because the Arma modding community is dead. No one comes out with gear mods anymore... Project Zenith is the first mod that was publicly released in like a very long time that actually showcased some really amazing models publicly with new helmets, guns, vests and uniforms along with accessories and even that isn't enough man, at some point people are gonna get tired with seeing the same exact kit in every single pic you post in my opinion. I didn't drag Road Runner into this, he was explaining the "Personal" vs "Private" mods so I quoted him. I am not too sure I understand your argument. Basically what i'm trying to get at is what if I have a mod that I made that I do not want released? Why should I not be able to upload a picture with my work? and does this go the same route as "WIP" pictures? Because if it doesn't affect WIP then that is incredibly hypocritical because it is literally the exact same thing. "I have a mod I am working on and it's not done yet but when it is it will be public, so let me go take some cinematic screenshots to show off the mod to people since it's not announced and it will give people something to look forward too",  "sorry that isn't allowed because we don't have it yet".

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Meowsiphstalin1 said:

What I'm saying is that people want to post pictures with cool gear.. It helps pics looks more authentic most of the time and in my opinion helps a lot with variety because the Arma modding community is dead. No one comes out with gear mods anymore... Project Zenith is the first mod that was publicly released in like a very long time that actually showcased some really amazing models publicly with new helmets, guns, vests and uniforms along with accessories and even that isn't enough man, at some point people are gonna get tired with seeing the same exact kit in every single pic you post in my opinion. I didn't drag Road Runner into this, he was explaining the "Personal" vs "Private" mods so I quoted him. I am not too sure I understand your argument. Basically what i'm trying to get at is what if I have a mod that I made that I do not want released? Why should I not be able to upload a picture with my work? and does this go the same route as "WIP" pictures? Because if it doesn't affect WIP then that is incredibly hypocritical because it is literally the exact same thing. "I have a mod I am working on and it's not done yet but when it is it will be public, so let me go take some cinematic screenshots to show off the mod to people since it's not announced and it will give people something to look forward too",  "sorry that isn't allowed because we don't have it yet".

Well if you made the mod and you have proof that you made it and you post it under the screenshot as "XYZ Unreleased Mod" you can definately do that.

• Like 2

I'm not going to go on and on about this, anyone reading know's how I feel about this so it doesn't accomplish anything arguing for hours. I love the A3 community and I love mods. I am sad that people don't release work but yet I understand why people do.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, road runner said:

You guys understand the difference between "Private" and "Personal" right?

not really tbh, if this is a rule lets keep definitions clear and simple and not laden with euphemisms. what is a 'personal' mod, how is it any different from a 'private' mod and is it effected by this rule

• Like 2

Regarding the "new rule" debate, it's clear there's more to this than the odd picture showing some ported DayZ content. seems to me it's more to do with broken trust between "friends". 

13 hours ago, road runner said:

You are fooling nobody, especially me, who had LOTS of ported content in "Private addons" that I shared with prominent posters here, under the instructions NOT to share pics on THIS forum for very obvious reasons.
I never had an issue with seeing ported content before, as 90% of it was kept "private" but some of you, and you know who you are, didn't respect my wishes, and you started sharing my addons with other people, renown for using "ported" content in their addons.

Interesting admission ^^ sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Porting content is wrong, period, even if it never see's the light of day. The whole "personal/private" thing is just a smokescreen for what's no more than a frowned upon and possibly illegal activity.  Just don't do it kids.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Evil Organ said:

Regarding the "new rule" debate, it's clear there's more to this than the odd picture showing some ported DayZ content. seems to me it's more to do with broken trust between "friends". 

Interesting admission ^^ sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Porting content is wrong, period, even if it never see's the light of day. The whole "personal/private" thing is just a smokescreen for what's no more than a frowned upon and possibly illegal activity.  Just don't do it kids.

The rules regarding ported content have always been in place, it was never really enforced, and the dayZ stuff being posted almost daily was getting out of hand, branding it as "private" doesn't take away the fact that it's been ripped/stolen/ported, and the users are oblivious to the point it's illegal.

Illegal Content or cheating/hacking:

Discussions about copy protection or copying, backing-up, hacking, cracking or reverse engineering of any of BI's products or the products of any other developer is not allowed. Any links pertaining to cheating/hacking our games or servers should be sent to BohemiaBeck.

The recipe for disaster indeed was me sharing PRIVATE addons, for personal use, which went public, because those friends posted screens, and were hounded to get them. 

There's big name addon makers using assets from different games, and they've been doing so for a long time, but due to their popularity, nothing was done, then last year, adacas got hit with noties on steam, as were many others, as it was alleged they were using content without permission...Not just the cool gear addons, but vehicles, fixed and rotary stuff.

Lord Sith

Private= One that should not be shared with publicly. and is not meant for the public.

Personal = One made by the individual, for the individual, again not meant for dissemination.
Work In Progress= Addon being made for the community, and being showcased by the community.
Realeased= speaks for itself.

The minute you share a personal addon, it no longer has a personal status, as it no longer belongs to you. Other makers explicitly stated do not post/host their work on steam, and inevitably, their work still finds its way into various "Clans, just renamed"

Again, there's some people getting wound up about this, and for no reason, it's simple guys, if you're using ported content, just stop posting pictures of it for the world to see, it's NOT rocket science.

Why draw the attention to yourself, and most addon makers know who the primary culprits are when it comes to using, and then editing "private" addons, for their own clans etc.

You are focusing too much on the what you can see, as opposed to what you cannot see, as in you cannot see the woods for the tree's

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, road runner said:

Private= One that should not be shared with publicly. and is not meant for the public.

thats what i thought it meant, not neccisarily:

14 hours ago, road runner said:

everyone within this community knows full well what is meant by "Private" addons.. it means pure and simply these addons feature content that has been ported from other games, or is using ripped content from Arma  3.

forum rules should be as black/white as possible. If screenies of Private addons are against rules its irrelevant (to picture thread) where the contents of mod came from.

with respect its hard not to read your previous comment as an admission of being a source of ported/stolen content. i'm jus gonna assume that wasn't quite what you meant ;)