Placebo

Arma 3 Photography : Questions and Comments

Mmm, that seems a bit harsh on bona fida snappers who like to showcase WIP projects, not everyone deals in stolen goods. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Evil Organ said:

Mmm, that seems a bit harsh on bona fida snappers who like to showcase WIP projects, not everyone deals in stolen goods. 

Well if you posted for example

Addons Used: Unreleased XY

That would be perfectly fine, especially if you have a WIP thread on these forums. We have had to implement this recent forum rule as recently lots of images posted have contained stolen assets. I am sure we can review this rule if needed, any suggestions on how it could be done differently or better. Please post here: 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, R0adki11 said:

That would be perfectly fine, especially if you have a WIP thread on these forums.

Maybe this is ideal to create  a new thread about it.

Private addons ≠ stolen/illegal content

It seems pretty foolish to ban private addons when you could just ban stolen/illegal content.

Stolen/illegal content is already banned. What is foolish is to hack content, modify it and display it for the world. If someone has nothing to hide then an author and/or mod name could be used. I think it shows that thread moderators still show and support the respect of those of us out there creating content 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, warlord554 said:

Stolen/illegal content is already banned.

But like I said private addons ≠ stolen/illegal content, so why ban private addons?

If someone has nothing to hide then an author and/or mod name could be used.

private addons ≠ unreleased addons. What if a group/someone made a completely legit addon just for their use? Now they can't post a screenshot of it because they don't want to release it to the public?

I don't see why we can't just say no illegal content and if someone post some then people can report it here or wherever and a mod can deal with it

@myriflemod

Boom, took 2 seconds to list....

Or

@squadXriflemod

@myriflemod

Boom, took 2 seconds to list....

Or

@squadXriflemod

It wouldn't matter if you named them @whatever, they're still private addons and the rule says that no private addons can be used and only public addons can be used 

I think every one of the pictures I've posted here have included private mods that will never be released. Usually no fully new models, though. So I guess I'm good, unless the rule includes all retextures and config tweaks too. I assume not.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BLACKOUT6IX said:

But like I said private addons ≠ stolen/illegal content, so why ban private addons?

private addons ≠ unreleased addons. What if a group/someone made a completely legit addon just for their use? Now they can't post a screenshot of it because they don't want to release it to the public?

I don't see why we can't just say no illegal content and if someone post some then people can report it here or wherever and a mod can deal with it

Which is what's happening now.

The words "Private" are lost to many many people, in the case of these "addons" it means not for general release, so why show it on a public forum?

I posted dozens of pictures with "private" addons before, and had no real big issue with it, but when stuff given to others as part of those "Private" addons was disseminated to persons outwith a group, who then decide to "share" these, by posting pictures, the "privacy" issue was tossed aside.

Private addons, means that either you, or the originator(s) do not wish the masses to have access to them, it's the main reason I stopped making addons, and I know there's several other key modders within the community on the brink of stopping their creations too.

If I give you, or your group an addon, and explicitly say " DO NOT POST PUBLIC PICTURES" and you do so, then you do not deserve to have these addons, and your selfishness falls over to the rest of the community, when addons are pulled.

Private and Works in Progress, are two very different beasts, one is an addon that will be available on completion, the other.... I'll leave you guys to figure that one out.

It's simple really, if something is private, keep it private, don't post it to a public forum. That way you'll not be flagged/warned/banned etc.  

• Like 3

wait am I clear to post screenshots of stuff I have legally retextured on my own for my own use but do not intend to release? like, nothing stolen, no EULAs violated as far as I know, nothing distributed without permission, just a couple things I've done here and there because I'm really picky about making camos match and shit. Its nothing anyone else would want and the quality of my work is terrible so I never really considered it was worth putting it out there.

1 hour ago, wsxcgy said:

wait am I clear to post screenshots of stuff I have legally retextured on my own for my own use but do not intend to release? like, nothing stolen, no EULAs violated as far as I know, nothing distributed without permission, just a couple things I've done here and there because I'm really picky about making camos match and shit. Its nothing anyone else would want and the quality of my work is terrible so I never really considered it was worth putting it out there.

I'd say that re textures don't fall into this category, as these are re textures of addons already released to the public.

• Like 1

@direone What’s that ZEI mod got? Can’t tell if its those vests, helmets or both. Looks like some good gear regardless.

16 minutes ago, shadeops21 said:

@direone What’s that ZEI mod got? Can’t tell if its those vests, helmets or both. Looks like some good gear regardless.

ZEI is just Zeus placeable objects, don't think that includes vests and gear.

8 minutes ago, road runner said:

ZEI is just Zeus placeable objects, don't think that includes vests and gear.

I saw that when I googled it, but I wasn’t quite sure as I’ve seen similar results when looking up other mods with abbreviations like that (like that French SF mod that seems to be the rage these days). Just wanted to grab confirmation from the source, to be safe.

Also kinda feel responsible for that whole “private addons”/stolen content blowup from earlier... who knew my innocent question regarding that jacket would’ve led to such a big discussion, heh... oh well...

34 minutes ago, shadeops21 said:

I saw that when I googled it, but I wasn’t quite sure as I’ve seen similar results when looking up other mods with abbreviations like that (like that French SF mod that seems to be the rage these days). Just wanted to grab confirmation from the source, to be safe.

Also kinda feel responsible for that whole “private addons”/stolen content blowup from earlier... who knew my innocent question regarding that jacket would’ve led to such a big discussion, heh... oh well...

Nah, it's been going on a good while now, a couple of years the old "private" addon issue.

• Like 3

On 10/02/2018 at 7:26 PM, aliabualrub said:

moduse:  nikoaton poses . rhs . Hazar-Kot Valley . Caucasus Insurgency

I really like this picture. Tells a story in my mind and makes me ask questions :)

• Like 4

@M. Wolfplease correct your post to include mods, as per the rules of the photography thread.

19 minutes ago, M. Wolf said:

Mods: Unit mods AKA too many to list

Putting the above Is not sufficient. 

5 minutes ago, R0adki11 said:

@M. Wolfplease correct your post to include mods, as per the rules of the photography thread.

Putting the above Is not sufficient. 

My bad, should keep on top of my game. Fixed it. ;)

That jacket! There's that damn jacket again! Hahaha.

Seriously, wasn't that part of that new rule's stipulation though? If it isn't publicly available/soon to be released, you can't post it?

• Like 1

If you have too many to list, then list all of the "important" stuff seen. For instance, when I posted my Unimog pictures, I was running a shitload of other mods, but that wasn't relevant to that particular series of photos. I also make sure to mention which terrain I'm using separately instead of lumping it in with the other mods

Most of what people care about as far as pics go are uniforms, kit, weapons, vehicles, maps, and poses. Whether you have ACRE, ACE, Ares/Achillies, etc is kind of irrelevant unless your pics show the relevant UIs. Also, some of the bigger collections, like RHS, CUP, VSM, and 3CB, can usually just be listed as a lump sum. Hope I helped

• Like 1

9 hours ago, M. Wolf said:

My bad, should keep on top of my game. Fixed it. ;)

You may not be aware that "Private addons" are now banned from the thread. Your post has been removed, as "Private addons" normally include stolen assets. Posting of such images in the future will incur infractions.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, R0adki11 said:

You may not be aware that "Private addons" are now banned from the thread.

Just to be clear, it's perfectly ok to post images with private textures, effects, scripts, animations and config replacements? And only unsourced or known rip-off 3D models are prohibited?

6 minutes ago, Greenfist said:

Just to be clear, it's perfectly ok to post images with private textures, effects, scripts, animations and config replacements? And only unsourced or known rip-off 3D models are prohibited?

My opinion would be that it is unsourced or known rip-off 3d models would be prohibited. However i have raised this with our head moderator so that the rule can be made clear on what is prohibited. 

• Thanks 1

hows this for an idea: if a private mod is legit it should still be able to be credited properly without just saying 'private mod'. so you could say 'uses custom textures of Y' or uses '@Xmod' by permission of user y'.  or some better way of writing it

• Like 1