Sign in to follow this  
PrinceCola

How hard will this game be?

Hello! This is my very first post on this forum. I have not played any of the previous ARMA games, but i have a massive interest in ARMA 3.

Anyway, there is one thing that i am a bit worried about...my PC will run the game fine, but how difficult is the game? This might sound weird, but i really don't like being challenged...i know, it sounds dumb, but all i care about is having fun:)

I heard that ARMA 2 had some weird controls, now that does not bother me, but i also heard it was pretty hard game...

What do you all think? I always do my best to learn games, but some just is to difficult.

Thanks for reading my thread!

Hello! This is my very first post on this forum. I have not played any of the previous ARMA games, but i have a massive interest in ARMA 3.

Anyway, there is one thing that i am a bit worried about...my PC will run the game fine, but how difficult is the game? This might sound weird, but i really don't like being challenged...i know, it sounds dumb, but all i care about is having fun:)

I heard that ARMA 2 had some weird controls, now that does not bother me, but i also heard it was pretty hard game...

What do you all think? I always do my best to learn games, but some just is to difficult.

In my honost opinion, I really think the learning curve for the arma series arent too high, they take some time getting used to the game.. but thats always there aint it? :)

As for the controlls; after a few hours you wont even notice them being "weird" i actually miss them in other games at times because they become natural.

And for the difficulty... it really depends on what you do.. every mission is different. I strongly suggest you try arma2 free (Free version of arma2)

You can find this here: http://www.arma2.com/free

Enjoy!

Edited by DjDaemonNL
Fixed double negative

It's not going to be hard, it's going to be challenging with very interesting layers of complexity on various systems in the game. New infantry anims will be appreciated by newcomers, as it removes redundant complexity from the game. I hope it's not as clunky as ArmA II in this regard.

It's not that hard. if you are thinking simulator level difficulty then relax it's not. If you are acustomed to more popular shooters like BF/COD/ANY OTHER FPS you might find the shooting mechanics just a little bit more dificult ( bullet dispersion, gun recoil , bullet drop), but you should get accustomed fairly quick to them with a little practice.

Also just a heads up, Arma can be a waiting game. Sometimes a COOP mission can take more then 2-3 hours to complete (depending on the group you play with and the operational area on the map(s)) Of course , TvT missions can be shorter.

If you want to enjoy the game to it's fullest find yourself a group to play with.

^^What maio said.

Probably be similar to ArmA 2.

You have 4 difficulty levels, but all can be edited as you see fit. The server dictates the difficulty setting, so if you join an expert server, you'll have less features to assist you and the AI will be harder. I think the primary thing you have to accept is that ArmA isn't like other shooters and some of the things that comes natural to you in other games, might be different in ArmA.

ArmA 2 difficulty options:

1j0z7k.jpg

Edited by Dallas

Go in the mission editor - place weapon boxes and unarmed vehicles and have fun blowing stuff up etc until you got the controls - then play the missions/multiplayer :)

Hm, thanks for the replies everyone. The game does not sound so scary now ^^

I also have two other questions about something different, i hope it is ok i ask it here? So i won't have to start a new thread just for that.

1: I was thinking about getting the support edition since it includes the previous games...do i get them the instant i buy the support bundle? Or when ARMA 3 releases?

2: And will i get them on Steam?

Hm, thanks for the replies everyone. The game does not sound so scary now ^^

I also have two other questions about something different, i hope it is ok i ask it here? So i won't have to start a new thread just for that.

1: I was thinking about getting the support edition since it includes the previous games...do i get them the instant i buy the support bundle? Or when ARMA 3 releases?

2: And will i get them on Steam?

1. Yes. The games will be available for download upon purchase

2. yes

The game is pretty hard but you'll find this is a really great community to find someone to hold your hand and talk you through the various aspects of the game :)

I think on a infantry standpoint, it will be much easier as the movement isn't clunky as in previous games, thanks to smookie's work in the new skeletons animation. Hopefully that'll be in alpha.

In ArmAverse your original question is wrong, i corrected it:

3ow6p0.jpg

Welcome to the ArmA community, PrinceCola! :)

When i first started ArmA 2, i was worried about it being to difficult. But you will get into it, just like i did! And try to play with friends on voip, or i a clan :D

ArmA 3 will also be polished, compared to ArmA 2 (clunky). So it's alot more smooth now! This is a great time to enter the ArmA universe ;)

Welcome to the ArmA community, PrinceCola! :)

When i first started ArmA 2, i was worried about it being to difficult. But you will get into it, just like i did! And try to play with friends on voip, or i a clan :D

ArmA 3 will also be polished, compared to ArmA 2 (clunky). So it's alot more smooth now! This is a great time to enter the ArmA universe ;)

Well, ArmA3 will be polished on final release. Keep in mind this is an alpha release.

Well, ArmA3 will be polished on final release. Keep in mind this is an alpha release.

Yes!

Damn... i keep forgetting. I'm not used to "Alphas" being handled as "releases" with countdown etc. :(

What he said! The devs, and us will get a lot of polishing to do it the alpha/beta.

Hehe, right :)

Also, is it possible to play as a Norwegian special force in any of the games? I am Norwegian like you and i know we are the superior country ^^

Hehe, right :)

Also, is it possible to play as a Norwegian special force in any of the games? I am Norwegian like you and i know we are the superior country ^^

Not officially no, i don't think so. Might be some mods though, but i'm not sure.

I sometimes play shooters on easy just because I want a casual 'rollercoaster' experience, but I find Arma difficult in exactly the right way. Because it's so open ended - and tactically, it's not about twitch shooting, but instead having the good sense to plan your approach - I keep coming back to the same mission without becoming frustrated when I die. It's nothing like the sadistic NES games of my childhood. :p

It won´t be as hard as OFP for sure. Farmers with shotguns one-shotting you at 500 meters? nnnnnnnope.

But it is still a unique gameplay experience that´s completely against everything all other games have taught you, so adapting to that may be a challenge.

I wouldn't say Arma is difficult to learn its just that the learning curve on it is way more intense compared to a BF3 or COD type game. It's so much you can do in Arma that at first you can get overwhelmed but if you stick with it you will be glad you did. The community with Arma is wonderful though and there are endless amounts of resources to your disposal.

As far as how it may run on your PC thats pretty hard to say without knowing your hardware. Supposedly Arma 3 is going to be optimized much better than 2 but I guess we will find out tomorrow.

Arma is just different. You need to say goodbye to the run&gun mentality that makes you successfull in other shooters. Simply running out in an open field is a good way to get killed. You might wan´t to stay in the forest even if that means walking a detour.

Most important=Think before you act. That Enemy you see might not be alone, and his friends will hunt you down if you act without thinking first.

I started in ArmA 2. When I first tried it, to be honest, it was a pain for me. It was rather difficult. Also, for a first time ArmA player (or maybe just me), you gotta remember to turn your settings down to get nice FPS if you lack a supercomputer.

However, a few weeks later I came back to it, tried again, noticed the problems, fixed em, then I was happy. I messed around in singleplayer and finally immersed myself and eventually went to multiplayer.

So my best advice is: If FPS is too slow, be sure to check your settings. Any bugs with keys, check controls. Have fun, train in singleplayer, and remember there's always a very nice community to help you out.

By the way, the most fun you can have in ArmA is the editor. Next to that is Warfare with your closest friends. The editor is WUNDERBAR! You can do pretty much anything you want if you put your mind to it.

As far as how it may run on your PC thats pretty hard to say without knowing your hardware. Supposedly Arma 3 is going to be optimized much better than 2 but I guess we will find out tomorrow.

We will find out at release. Alpha tomorrow. I guess there's still optimizing to be done.

You will be lost initially. Get with some friends and learn together on smaller missions. Once you 'get' it you will realise there is NO other shooter this immersive, and going back to bf3 will feel like cod 'no thanks'.