Sign in to follow this  
Hud Dorph

How to prepare steam to install Arma3 on your ssd

Now you might just as well use the waiting time to prepare and be ready for 05mar.

This guide will instruct how to install your steam game (Arma3 ofc) in a different location than

your other steamgames (Arma3 goes ofc on the ssd if you have one).

Follow theese instructions.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/11/finally-an-in-built-way-to-choose-steam-install-locations/

I think that is in the current production build of steam right now tho. I believe I got the option of selecting location the last time I installed a steam game.

I'm running the Steam beta, but I do believe the ability to choose where you install the game is default functionality as of lately in Steam.

This excludes Source games, however.

I'm running the Steam beta, but I do believe the ability to choose where you install the game is default functionality as of lately in Steam.

This excludes Source games, however.

can confirm this.

the updater has actually changed as well it looks more like a microsoft dl client. and you also have the delta patch ability

source games use a completely different system though, it think its due to the shared asset thing where they are all really extreme mods to the base engine

This is the first time that I see a guide like this. I think every person who own a computer can install a game... :P

In case anyone was confused. Those instructions are outdated' date=' you won't see the "add install folder" option it's renamed to "add library folder" but still works the same way.

[img']http://i.imgur.com/p4447SP.png[/img]

So there isn't any problem to install it on another partition (let's say D: instead of C: ), while my other steam games are on drive C: ?

No problem at all mate!

I have my game split over 3 drives. The main steam installation, then made a folder named Steam on my two other drives, Steam will then give you an option to install into those drives also!

Simples.

So there isn't any problem to install it on another partition (let's say D: instead of C: ), while my other steam games are on drive C: ?

Absolutely not, I'm just installing the Arma 3 Alpha to H:\Steam (my second SSD) whereas the Steam install and other Steam games are under G:\Games\Steam\ (standard hdd)

No problem at all mate!

I have my game split over 3 drives. The main steam installation, then made a folder named Steam on my two other drives, Steam will then give you an option to install into those drives also!

Simples.

Absolutely not, I'm just installing the Arma 3 Alpha to H:\Steam (my second SSD) whereas the Steam install and other Steam games are under G:\Games\Steam\ (standard hdd)

Great, thanks !

aww only 14gb left, i hope it's enough for arma 3 alpha.

Today's build (most probably final) is 7gb :)

---------- Post added at 11:43 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 ----------

Great, thanks !

Welcome! Just remember to set up your steam folder before you go to install the actual game and then you get a nice prompt asking you which location you would like to install it under:

a3steaminstall.jpg

Does anyone know what pathname Arma III will have inside the steamapps\common\ folder? Because I usually work with NTFS links, and I need to point Arma III to another disk (my SSD is full :()

Today's build (most probably final) is 7gb :)

shweet! So i'm not in need to cut arma 2 (50gb) from my ssd then! :)

Easy as this:

clipboard02et.jpg

aww only 14gb left, i hope it's enough for arma 3 alpha.

Yeah its enough, the Alpha is around 7,3GB "big".

This is the first time that I see a guide like this. I think every person who own a computer can install a game... :P

Some people on this forum has never tried Steam. So a guide is nice :)

I've been using Steam since 2003 and I was not aware that they added a feature to choose custom install locations. Very good since I don't have Steam on my SSD.

Can anyone see the ARMA 3 for pre-purchase on Steam? I'm looking for and not in the Steam games list, can anyone tell me anything about this?.

I was wondering if Steam had added this option. I'll make sure to do that tomorrow.

Edited by ccmoreaucc

I have two SSD drives dedicated to games, with Steam folders on each of them, and by default all games (Steam or not) are installed on one of the SSD drives,

except for those games that wouldn't benefit from SSD so much - initially they are also installed on one of the SSD by Steam, but then i move their data to other drives,

and just link to their folders.

I just tried to reload a game i own on steam and it gave me the option to load it where Steam is or any of the three other drives I have. when It comes time to dl Arma3 those options should still be available. I am runing Steam in beta and followed the instructions on setting up to do this, works great.

@Metralla... relax you still have 8.5 hours until DL, there is no preorder. Don't worry they are not going to run out of digital downloads, BIS will find your money and take it.

Edited by ChiefBoatsRet