Sign in to follow this  
dust31

Joining Game... Connection Failed.

Hi,

I am running arma2 servers on a dedicated box behind a pfsense firewall, everything been running fine for months.

Today I am no longer able to connect, I get stuck few seconds on "Joining Game..." to finally receive a "Connection Failed...".

I can see the game server being up and running when querying it via game tracker or from my own PC with HLSW.

I tried disabling blocking rules on pfsense (as I got a few rules being auto updated) without luck...

I would apreciate if someone could try to join the following server and let me know if they are getting the same error:

87.98.194.26:2402 -=UNDP=- H.A.R.D. C.O.R.E. Coop

The server is running in vanilla mode (no addons) at the moment.

Any help / idea will be apreciated!

Having the same problem with a few servers me and my mates also host from home. This does not seem to be a server side issue as all of these servers were working just fine yesterday; however all of a sudden no one can join in today. If anyone has an idea on what could be causing this problem pleas feel free to share with the community.

Heyho guys,

Sol-diers got the same problems. Read gamespy.com! "Gamespy says goodbye"

I think they are shutting down the servers so that you can`t join anymore.

Your Martyn

Yea same issue here. So what now are we just screwed?

I thought IGN had said it was just the game spy media arm that was being shutdown ?

And, yeah have had the same game spy problem for a bit over 12 hours now. Ever since the scheduled restart we did at that time people can only connect if their use "remote" to connect to our IP address directly.

Server has a NAT negotiation failed message int the RPT every time people try to connect normally (and NO it is not a NAT issue, this is dedicated VPS server and nothing has changed)

Tcpdumps show the 3 gamespy server IPs sending back "unreachable" icmp responses.

It is a total gamespy fail :(

But is there any way to solve this? I have a dedicated server running in a remote pc and nobody can connect to it. :(

Same here. I am hoping that the BI staff saw this coming and have prepared a work around (besides arma 3).

Curious thing is why some servers continue to work. I mean, I can connect into some other servers, but not mine.

is this completely gamespy related and we get to just wait? or is there a workaround _temp?

is this completely gamespy related and we get to just wait? or is there a workaround _temp?

The workaround for now is to use the "Remote" button in the game browser and manually enter the server IP and port, then you should get a game browser listing that will work. So I changed our server name and put in a comment to list the IP for everyone.

We eventually got up to about 40 odd players last night that way ... but even still it is obviously a PIA for anyone to have to do that and I am majorly annoyed with GS right now <.<

The workaround for now is to use the "Remote" button in the game browser and manually enter the server IP and port, then you should get a game browser listing that will work. So I changed our server name and put in a comment to list the IP for everyone.

We eventually got up to about 40 odd players last night that way ... but even still it is obviously a PIA for anyone to have to do that and I am majorly annoyed with GS right now <.<

still having issues with remote.. seems to be a 50/50 hit for connects.. maybe individual port forwarding issues at this stage.. thanks for the heads up about remote connection.

:)

EDIT:

IGN hit with layoffs, 1UP, UGO and GameSpy shutting down.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/21/4014196/ign-layoffs-1up-ugo-and-gamespy-shutting-down

hopefully A3 uses steams mp lister thingy.

Edited by Loki
added link

still having issues with remote.. seems to be a 50/50 hit for connects.. maybe individual port forwarding issues at this stage.. thanks for the heads up about remote connection.

:)

Yeah, I did get a few people saying it still didn't work but most of them didn't realise they still needed to double click (join) the game browser listing that appears _after_ you do the remote connect.

The Remote connect just sets your game browser to a different scope, you still need to join the game after that.

But having to do it all is total BS and I can't believe it is almost 24hrs and nothing has been done about this.

seems running new beta is all the difference in remote connects. tested with several clan mates.

run beta == ok connect

Does the server needs to run the beta too? If so, how do I update it and set it to run?

This "fix" won't solve the connection via in-game (gamespy) listing either, right?

EDIT:

IGN hit with layoffs, 1UP, UGO and GameSpy shutting down.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/2/21/4014196/ign-layoffs-1up-ugo-and-gamespy-shutting-down

hopefully A3 uses steams mp lister thingy.

I said this already but just to back that up, this is from the comments in that article:

The side of Gamespy that run multiplayer games got sold off years ago – they share the same name and logo but are two completely different companies, so I wouldn’t worry.

They are 2 different companies.

And yes, I believe ARMA3 will be using SteamWorks (thank god) instead of this antiquated GameSpy rubbish.

I said this already but just to back that up, this is from the comments in that article:

They are 2 different companies.

And yes, I believe ARMA3 will be using SteamWorks (thank god) instead of this antiquated GameSpy rubbish.

missed that.. good to know.

Hi! I have this problem too. How fix this? Beta-patch for clients not helping.((

-connect=<i.p.address> -port=2302 will connect you directly the the server if you know the I.P.addy.

This goes in your target line. Leave out the brackets

Cheers!:bounce3:

I am really curious as to how some hosts are still online right now??

Quick show of hands ... how many of us are on a VPS (or like in my case Amazon EC2) and sit behind some kind of NAT? In my case it is a totally enterprise 1-to-1 NAT and I am not talking about dodgey home router type deal ... but still, all the servers that are unaffected seem to be hosts that I know are running on dedicated hardware.

Can someone/anyone from BIS join in on this thread please??? For 2 days now we have all been paying for unavailable servers!

My server works, (using non beta exe).

Any other details to share? Are you on public IP?

Mine is running a Wasteland server under Linux so not really an option for me to use original arma2oaserver.exe ;)

My server works, (using non beta exe).

What you did to make it work? im testing with a group of my friends and im having this issue that not everyone able to connect to me and it keeps getting "connecting failed".

My server runs the cobra mod

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147131-Cobra-Sandbox-Persistant-Survival-Sandbox

I had to use a non-beta version because the beta caused some issues some weeks ago. Last night I tried to switch to using beta (because the older CBA the server uses conflicts with new CBA). When I ran the server, it caused "connecting failed". Then I reverted back and it works. On any gamespy report option or remote ip. As long as I do not use the BETA.

Clients can connect to the older server version with the latest betas without problems however.