Sign in to follow this  
Alistair

Will there be a crash/emergency landing feature?

Arma 3 is using the take on helicopters flight model, during my (admittedly brief) playing of that game I had several higher speed/less controlled encounters with the ground... It has a lot better damage model (eg rotors being destroyed and flying off etc) and didn't always result in the explosive fireball!

Eg.

Hopefully the damage model gets used as well as the flight model!

Note that they have said the alpha won't have that flight model in so even if we don't see the crash landings you are after in the coming release, it might still make the final game.

Well I have crashed many helicopters so far (purposefully) both with engines on at speed and engines off at speed, and have had no explosions so far, but critical damage. Seems we have a new crash/collision feature. :D

Arma 3 is using the take on helicopters flight model, during my (admittedly brief) playing of that game I had several higher speed/less controlled encounters with the ground... It has a lot better damage model (eg rotors being destroyed and flying off etc) and didn't always result in the explosive fireball!

Eg.

[/url]

Hopefully the damage model gets used as well as the flight model!

Note that they have said the alpha won't have that flight model in so even if we don't see the crash landings you are after in the coming release, it might still make the final game.

As far as I know they ain't, they are trying to but it is not a their main focus.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am really curious about this system. My computer was struck by lightning before I got arma 3 and so I can't play right now. But last I heard the damage model is based on the hp=0 system.

I was thinking a way to fix this would be to have the parts all be separate hp=0 and not the chopper as a whole. That way when your rotor can be destroyed separate of the engine. I think that is how the old system works, or is that how the old system works? I mean it seems that if your limitation is hp=0 that you make it so the chopper doesn't explode on a hull or rotor reaching 0. The chopper should stop going up over a 0 or at least stop producing lift and allow for an autorotation.

Again sorry for the bump. I've started saving for a new computer and I always loved flying. I just never had the desire to get really good because of crash mechanics. I raged when I took a beautiful route to crash land it the chopper exploded over skidding lol.

I remember in Alpha there was feature on helicopters that blowed my mind when u tilt helicopter or your rotor blades hit the ground they would be destroyed and gone,remember flying low by the ATC and clipped with blades on atc and just droped on ground did not exploded that was cool :) Definetly would love to see some sort of survivable helicopter landings

Edited by DevilDogCro

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I am really curious about this system. My computer was struck by lightning before I got arma 3 and so I can't play right now. But last I heard the damage model is based on the hp=0 system.

I was thinking a way to fix this would be to have the parts all be separate hp=0 and not the chopper as a whole. That way when your rotor can be destroyed separate of the engine. I think that is how the old system works, or is that how the old system works? I mean it seems that if your limitation is hp=0 that you make it so the chopper doesn't explode on a hull or rotor reaching 0. The chopper should stop going up over a 0 or at least stop producing lift and allow for an autorotation.

Again sorry for the bump. I've started saving for a new computer and I always loved flying. I just never had the desire to get really good because of crash mechanics. I raged when I took a beautiful route to crash land it the chopper exploded over skidding lol.

With the new flight model (The take on helicopter one) crash landings are apparently completely possible, so when it hits the stable branch (4.11.14) then selecting the advanced flight model shall grant you your wish.

It's still pretty hard not to explode in dev branch. Helicopters don't even explode. The chances of a helicopter exploding is one in a billion. They only appear to explode because of gasoline's tendency to create a large fireball upon combustion. Generally the only ways people die in real life from a helicopter crash are burning alive (from the fuel), having their spine broken by impact, being crushed (unlikely), drowning, falling out, or by an external force (Bullets, RPGs, being impaled by tree branches, etc.). Helicopters only "explode" in movies because of explosive charges ripping the aircraft to pieces while the fuel goes up in a fireball. But in Arma you just explode like the helicopter was built of solidified nitroglycerin.

I would actually Like to see explosion removed from helicopter hitpoint system, that would be interesting to see.

I would actually Like to see explosion removed from helicopter hitpoint system, that would be interesting to see.

To achieve the "damage effect" you want you would have to apply some kind of vertex geometry modifier to the object in question, on impact.

This would basically be the general idea, so when the physical object of the helicopters polygon impacts the ground a simple tessellation draw is called to deform the vertices in the model in a non-permanent manner. Allowing for retention of object information etc. http://www.nvidia.com/object/tessellation.html

The tessellation process would add the additional polygons + a deform / geometry shader to change the shape so a helicopter could impact and have the said properties you guys described.

Yes arma 3 is DX 11 based, because it uses Displacement maps.

Edited by Polymath820

To achieve the "damage effect" you want you would have to apply some kind of vertex geometry modifier to the object in question, on impact.

This would basically be the general idea, so when the physical object of the helicopters polygon impacts the ground a simple tessellation draw is called to deform the vertices in the model in a non-permanent manner. Allowing for retention of object information etc. http://www.nvidia.com/object/tessellation.html

The tessellation process would add the additional polygons + a deform / geometry shader to change the shape so a helicopter could impact and have the said properties you guys described.

Yes arma 3 is DX 11 based, because it uses Displacement maps.

That's even going above and beyond - all we need is a model that is one step more damaged than we have now and it would already be pretty realistic. The only thing that might have to happen would be perhaps the tail boom could break off, but besides that all we need to do is remove explosions and the damage model would be 10 times better.

That's even going above and beyond - all we need is a model that is one step more damaged than we have now and it would already be pretty realistic. The only thing that might have to happen would be perhaps the tail boom could break off, but besides that all we need to do is remove explosions and the damage model would be 10 times better.

Problem with that switching to a new model you have to do it very quickly otherwise you'll end up with the damaged model over the original and then you've got to transfer all the units to the new model, new animations, for the tail rotor to break off etc. You can't just say oh do this, or oh do that. It's just not that simple. Currently the helicopter models are "one model" You will have to likely add 2 new models, or more to accommodate variation between damage events. More processing, more work, more hell.

Honestly, I think the easiest fix is to simply modify the HP system. Basically think of it this way. 0 still causes explosions. But instead of the vehicle going from fine to boom, make it so instead of having 100hp, it has 140hp. But at 40hp, you have what looks like a dead vehicle. This allows you to crash land without exploding. However, further damage risks explosions. So high-speed collisions are still energetic enough to kill you outright, but managing to feather a landing would be survivable.

BIS would have to remove the upside-down = EXPLOSION thing.

Everytime when your helicopter flips on the ground, it instantly explodes. Would be much better if it would simply -not- explode and stay there, so that you can leave it.

Made a ticket a while ago.

feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=20658

What they should really fix is the "flip 'n' explode"-thing by helicopters. That is really the biggest problem of all.

Edited by SilverDude

Non exploding vehicles, more "retro" guns and equipment. How is rpg trajectory in Arma3, still straight line or?

Edit: And those biplanes from OFP.

Edited by sektor

It is already possible in the game. The only thing which is really annoying when the helicopter turn upside down it is instantly blow up. It BI fix this it's gonna much better.