Sign in to follow this  
Ringo

Eyfinity/triple-screen setup support

I've searched for but not come around any information regarding this so here's my post.

Are there any possibilities we will get proper Eyefinity setup in Arma3? I mean like ability to setup screen size, angle and bevel thickness like I've seen in simulators like iRacing and recently Assetto Corsa?

The reason for having this setup properly is to avoid the stretched out and distorted graphics you otherwise end up with on your sidemonitors as the game just assumes it is only one large flat screen, when in fact most of us have the sidemonitors angled towards us.

This means that the game will have to adjust for the bevels instead of using the driver supported bevel correction. This allows the player to setup his monitors to work as windows into the game world with perfect viewing on all three monitors and not only the middle one.

I've attached a screenshot from the setup in Assetto Corsa Tech preview which has the best Triple screen setup I've ever experienced! I've marked the result of the bevel correction in the screen as well. You clearly see that the game does not render the pixels that are hidden under the bevels, rather than the driver corrected version where you will have the area behind the bevels rendered as well.

acs20130303100336985mar.th.jpg

A tripple head setup like that should be available in all games. Since having suround vision I have wondered more than once why I bothered as the ugly streching is well....ugly.

Lack of Triple monitor support for most games is a bit disappointing.

I find setting FOV to 55 or lower in A2 and Take ON tends to sort out the stretching a good deal.

I would be interesting in something like that screen shown though, proper Triple monitor support.

We might grt luck and Flawless Widescreen may support A3 at some point too.

Still waiting on even basic support for Carrier Command also.

If I recall correctly that means the game has to support more than one camera for your point of view. VBS probably support it, but haven't heard of it in Arma so far. At least the game do recognize bezeled resolutions and also gives you the option to choose a matching aspect ratio for triplescreen.

Personally though I have to say that I prefer the usual stretched view. Focusing on only one screen makes me much less aware of the borders between the screens and the end of the side monitors, and I like the peripheral effect. As long as I use this with TrackIR I don't feel it is necessary to watch the side monitors. Possibly if you have small monitors or sitting far away from them, but that's incorrect usage in my opinion.

Thought so :P So it could be a hidden feature in the engine, but as I said, haven't heard of anyone doing this in Arma so far. Would be nice to hear a dev comment on this. If we are enough triplescreen users here, then they might consider fixing it.

.....I find setting FOV to 55 or lower in A2 and Take ON tends to sort out the stretching a good deal.

55? You mean 5? I thought the default was 3, I have left the vertical alone and changed my horizontal to 4, 5 is Ok I guess but beyond that it starts to push the middle distance out a bit.

Interesting to know it is a function supported by VBS.

Edited by Pathetic_Berserker

If I recall correctly that means the game has to support more than one camera for your point of view. VBS probably support it, but haven't heard of it in Arma so far. At least the game do recognize bezeled resolutions and also gives you the option to choose a matching aspect ratio for triplescreen.

Personally though I have to say that I prefer the usual stretched view. Focusing on only one screen makes me much less aware of the borders between the screens and the end of the side monitors, and I like the peripheral effect. As long as I use this with TrackIR I don't feel it is necessary to watch the side monitors. Possibly if you have small monitors or sitting far away from them, but that's incorrect usage in my opinion.

I think you're right about the need of multiple cameras. I know in iRacing (which is one of the two titles I know with proper triple-screen support), they state that they will have to render 3 separate windows, and in turn this will be more demanding. I don't care if it is more demanding. I would just love to see support like this in the titles I really love, and enjoy a view of the game world that doesn't feel unnatural.

If you prefer the stretched view I'm happy for you, since that is pretty much what you've got in any game. I also have a TrackIR, and the "need" for such a peripheral is greater when you don't have three screens. I still use it in ARMA2, but in a bit different fashion than before I had three monitors. Instead of turning my head and keep my eyes on the center of the screen, I find myself looking towards just inside the bezels and have the the view turn as well, since the picture is not that much distorted on the other side of the bezel this feels kind of natural.

I'd love to have a proper view on the side monitors though and be able to look there and turn down the sensitivity even more on the TrackIr.

Regarding the bezels I rarely even think about them beeing there. I got 3 Dell 24" with a combined bezel about 3,8cm between the monitors.

If it exists in VBS it should only be a matter of Copy-Paste ;) (Trying to get the devs to bite here...)

Also would be nice to see the HUD have a little wiggle room for bezel adgusted resolutions. I know that everyone could be different in this regard but allowing people to go say from 5760 to 5960 would help a few. ;)

Also would be nice to see the HUD have a little wiggle room for bezel adgusted resolutions. I know that everyone could be different in this regard but allowing people to go say from 5760 to 5960 would help a few. ;)

YES! I would love that too. I spent close to an hour trying to adjust the X and Y-settings of the GUI in the Username.Arma3AlphaProfile but to no avail. Sometimes I got one side within the physical bounderies of my main screen, then I tried to adjust the other one and it completely threw the first side off again. As it is now I got about 1cm of the HUD cut off on both sides. Can't see the leftmost letters in the menu as an example.

Well, with some hands on the alpha it's quite obvious that the functionality and support for eyefinity setup has not improved since Arma2. Hopefully it's something they can implement down the road to full release, although I doubt it. For now I would be happy if we only got the possibility to set the resolution of the mainscreen and have the HUD show within these boundaries. Or is this in fact what happens if you set a 16:10 resolution for your interface? Or do I only get a stretched one then? Will have to try this tonight I guess.

55? You mean 5? I thought the default was 3, I have left the vertical alone and changed my horizontal to 4, 5 is Ok I guess but beyond that it starts to push the middle distance out a bit.

Interesting to know it is a function supported by VBS.

Set vertical to .55 and left to 3, although this deos zoom in the view a little to reduce the distortion.

I really hope they implement whatever it is that iRacing uses to get rid of the horrible side stretch of the side monitors. Looking around holding alt makes me motion sick with the way it is right now.