Sign in to follow this  
OMAC

Community interest in Rearmed for ArmA 3 (integration of A2 and OA content with A3)

While i appreciate and am impressed with the speed you're porting A2 content. In my mind I'd rather we focus on producing new content for arma3 from the ground up using in particular our higher graphics budget available. I've got arma2 and If i want to play some chernarus insurgency, I can go fire it up and throw it on our arma2 servers.

We're not intending to all change to arma3 (until its stable enough to do so!) and I'd personally like to see a fresh start with things designed specifically for arma3.

Just my 2C, I certainly think you're doing a great job. But will everyone just drop all this stuff once the good arma3 content starts rolling in? I feel it will be popular for 2-3 months. But then be dropped as mods start surfacing. Do you think it might hinder development of new stuff? Because its just "easier" to copy it over from arma2?

Anyway, good job mate! No offense intended!

"The more, the better". But like many others have said already, there's a long way till final product and anything can happen. Maybe BI has some plans for this also in some manner ;)

Still *Thumbs up*

We want it ---> ASAP

All people are asking for have realized that some features can not be in this "MOD" but it would be much easyer to convert old addons etc because you can just make changes with the engine instead of having to do an only theoretical job.

As sample DAC or other systems that use objects or just Utes as base for demo missions.

I like the new micro terrain too much in Stratis to go back to Cherno/Tak -just too flat :p

I like the new micro terrain too much in Stratis to go back to Cherno/Tak -just too flat :p

My god! the micro terrain changes thing. It makes a 1KM square piece of arma3 terrain more feature rich and interesting than a 60KM square piece of arma2 map!

I would love to have all three ARMA games synced together but as other posters have pointed out, we really need NEW content.

I started playing ARMA in 2009 and the best part of this game is the Modding Community but I noticed that there was much more creative mods being made in the past (Horror-Science Fiction-Etc) and we REALLY need that aspect back rather than the UMPTEENTH #1295381251 Weapon Reskin!

I really want to start modding for ARMA 3, but I don't know where to begin other than from googling Tutorials on the Internet. Will the ARMA 2 Tools even work for ARMA 3? Should I wait?

I agree, Rearmed for ArmA III would be amazing.

Just imagine how much content we'd have for ArmA III to mess around with!

Right now the Alpha is rather limited in content and could definitely use some more.

I would love for this to happen, but only if it is realistically possible without taking the dev's away from their work on Arma 3.

Considering the amount of time I've spent on Sahrani in ArmA 2, I would really appreciate if the equivalent could happen for ArmA 3!

It seems rather easy to port the islands to get them into a semi-working state for the alpha (except the ACR island, and I've no idea why this is) so theoretically this seems possible. It will just have to be up for BIS or a modder to give all of the older material some value so it doesn't crash, like the older models.

This is a bit silly to ask, but has anyone actually tried porting over the islands from Take On Helicopters? Outside of Takistan I mean. It's quite amazing how the framework BIS has makes a lot of the older islands and featuresets somewhat compatible in the newer projects. It helps keep longevity for the older stuff, I feel.

I would love for this to happen, but only if it is realistically possible without taking the dev's away from their work on Arma 3.

You can rest assured that this potential effort will NOT substantially impact BIS work on A3!

You can rest assured that this potential effort will NOT substantially impact BIS work on A3!

I...I have no words. Only video will do!

UDq4URXOPlU

What exactly do we need to do to convince BIS to offer this for us?

What exactly do we need to do to convince BIS to offer this for us?

Lots more posts like yours will show them our interest! :D

Lots more posts like yours will show them our interest! :D

Heh, cool! It would be a bit too much to ask for this on their feedback site, right? I mean, it is a site for feedback..but it seems designed for issues! Is wanting a feature with the game an issue? :P

As much as I love BI updating their stuff, I think having integration for their legacy work would greatly benefit the community. It could keep dead mods and content available for the userbase in newer iterations, while allowing the content to just be brought over could make it easy to expand and add features regarding the new elements in ArmA III. I think that way, if it fails to use the new systems it already has a baseline, but it can easily be tweaked within the new engine to test the newer nuances of the engine. Everybody wins. The new lighting and updated rendering system alone give their islands from ArmA II an incredibly fresh breath. As a fan of single player content more than multiplayer (don't murder me!) experiencing missions in Chernarus in the ArmA III engine would be pretty exciting and fresh. The possibilities for ArmA III heavily expand if they open their hand to support ArmA II content in ArmA III. Theoretically though, isn't this type of thing already possible? I mean, couldn't there be a mod to bruteforce ArmA II content to work in III? I think because of the physics and altered model system that this is currently the major stopgap, but couldn't that be worked around?

The new lighting and updated rendering system alone give their islands from ArmA II an incredibly fresh breath. As a fan of single player content more than multiplayer (don't murder me!) experiencing missions in Chernarus in the ArmA III engine would be pretty exciting and fresh.

EXACTLY! I feel the same way.

Definitely, yes. It is the most necessary thing for ArmA III, to my mind.

It will be nice to have an original BIS campaigns and missions for A1 \ A2 reintagrated to A3 engine, also. But it can be done by community, i think.

Edited by Shadow_Vit

But it can be done by community, i think.

Yep, that's the idea here. If BIS approves of the idea, perhaps they could help streamline the system at some point if necessary? Just wishful thinking. Since all bugs will be squashed prior to full game release by the Alpha program (:rolleyes:), BIS may have some time on their hands after full release. ;)

I just played my first 5 minutes of A3A, and am incredibly impressed with look, feel, ease of entry, and performance. So far, it seems like they have kicked major ass, and this is only the alpha. The damn thing ran smooth as silk at full 1900x1200 res + high SMAA + ATOC 7 + AF High + AA x4 + high quality tex/terrain/objects, and default view/object distance (but that is low compared to typical A2 usage): ~37-40 fps. NVIDIA SLI ran perfectly with near 100%, even usage of both GPUS.

But that is all the A3 I will play for now, or W0lle the whip cracker will get mad at me for shirking my CWR2 beta responsibilities. ;)

Edited by OMAC

I bumped into this yesterday so it seems BIS also wants to see Sharani/Chernarus/Takistan/etc in A3.

There are other, and accepted, ways of merging Arma 1 / 2 content into Arma 3. This is handled by releasing new add-ons that merge the content people already own via configuration files. We are working on an officially supported approach for later (similar to TKOH's Rearmed).

Full post by DnA here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148172-Forward-porting-of-Arma-content

/KC

:yay: One of my few banana-posts, that info deserves it. Thanks for that KC :)

What community devs? Yourself?

PuFu, mind you, OMAC has given to this community quite a lot already and deserves not to receive such sarcastic comments such as this one.

I bumped into this yesterday so it seems BIS also wants to see Sharani/Chernarus/Takistan/etc in A3.

Full post by DnA here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?148172-Forward-porting-of-Arma-content

/KC

Awesome news! thanks for the headsup keycat!

Mind you, that official approach may itself be the DLC... but hey, you'll pay it won't you? ;)