Sign in to follow this  
sproyd

Steam vs BIS Store & Exclusivity - Explained

Whatever, I bought from Steam. Its a great service and I see good value in it. It's rock solid and keeps all my games up to date and portable across different pc's. Yeah fuck them for doing it right.

It's too late. I bought Deluxe on STEAM.

Had BIS not been so busy last night and with the page crashing every time I was able to even reach the Store, like once each 30 mins, then I would have bought from them, of course.

Should I feel bad and guilty and regret? No. I'm going to enjoy my new A3 Alpha game.

KBYThx!

Unfortunately the current state is that Supporter Edition remains exclusive to BI Store but now regular and Digital Deluxe are exclusive to Steam storefront? :rolleyes: I'm waiting for that to change before I buy, especially considering the pricing that I saw earlier.

I really wanted to support BI, but my desire to pay overwhelmed me. :o

I get that BI sees increased revenue from their own store, but being a Steam top seller, I guess they'll manage. Also since BI said they could not have released in 2013 without Steam, it's not completely outrageous that Steam gets a cut too.

Bought my copy of ArmA 3 Supporter Edition on BI Store!

Hope this can help BI in one way or another. :bounce3:

BI Store for Steam? Is there a difference that matters?

Why on Earth would bistudios use Steam?

Because Valve and Steam was there when Codemasters dropped them?

Through Steam Arma and Arma 2 got great exposure and were very successful?

Steam being the top digital storefront for pc games?

Might be a few reasons.

Buying from BI Store has cheaper US prices for Alpha and Digital Deluxe, BI Store has exclusive access to the Supporter Edition, and BI gets a bigger cut from purchases on the BI Store than from purchases on the Steam storefront.
If you mean "Steamworks"... an earlier devblog basically said "if we didn't use Steamworks to handle a bunch of the under-the-hood stuff we were at risk of not getting this game out before 2013".

Mind you, when the BI Store went down for much of release day, the Steam storefront was always available so a bunch of people could pay (more in the case of US prices) to get unhindered access to the Alpha. :p

Buying from BI Store has cheaper US prices for Alpha and Digital Deluxe

Versus buying on Steam? No, it doesn't.

I'm seeing $25.04 for the basic Alpha at BI Store versus $32.99 for the basic Alpha at Steam...

Nope, just double checked it as of right now -- $25.04, $43.84 and $75.16 in US Dollars (chose that from the drop-down menu).

For me it shows €25.31 or $32.99 depending on the drop down menu :shrug:

It certainly isn't that for me in the US. Same prices on Steam.

Is there any way for me to buy a version of Arma 3 without it being the "Steam version" (as the store puts it)? I understand that currently they want to use Steamworks, but is there a version I can buy where I get a version that uses Steamworks, but which also will later be available as a regular non-Steam version (should that ever happen)?

As a rule, I don't buy anything bundled with Steamworks unless it's under $5 and is quite good. Arma 3 is quite good, but not cheap enough for me to rent from Steam. Is there any way that I can currently purchase the game to own it?

Anyone else thought that due to Steam being the only universal distribution system for A3 it means that no matter what they still get the % of share no matter if the game was sold through bistore or on steam? Like some sort of distribution deal that earns them 5% of each sold copy.

Ok, read OP again and I see that he mentions it. Anyway, bought A3 on steam as bistore had problems on launch day. I also bought my A2 and OA in retail store, guess I'm the bad guy ;)

Is there any way for me to buy a version of Arma 3 without it being the "Steam version" (as the store puts it)? I understand that currently they want to use Steamworks, but is there a version I can buy where I get a version that uses Steamworks, but which also will later be available as a regular non-Steam version (should that ever happen)?

As a rule, I don't buy anything bundled with Steamworks unless it's under $5 and is quite good. Arma 3 is quite good, but not cheap enough for me to rent from Steam. Is there any way that I can currently purchase the game to own it?

Nope.

Nope.

Damn, guess I'll wait. Though, if the price goes up before they give me a non-Steamworks option, I'll just wait until it's $5 on Steam Sale.

Is there any reason you why dont want to use Steam?

Damn, guess I'll wait. Though, if the price goes up before they give me a non-Steamworks option, I'll just wait until it's $5 on Steam Sale.

ArmA 2 came in 2009, lowest sale price in steam was $6.49 (right now). See you after 4 years. :)

Is there any reason you why dont want to use Steam?

No, I use Steam for a large number of games. However, there is a reason I do not want to pay full price for a Steam game (almost all games I have on Steam cost me $5 or less). Steam is effectively a rental service. Their TOS mean that they can deny you the ability to play your games, to ban you from all games, to cease operations without compensation, etc. Furthermore, Steam offline mode only works for 30 days after your last online login. Personally, if I'm going to pay $30+ for a game, I want to own it (not own the code, but own a copy of the game, free to do with it as I please, when I please, without arbitrary requirements such as having internet). Many people have no issue with this and I have nothing against them. I don't have reliable internet (often travelling with no internet) and I also just have a moral objection to not owning a game I've bought.

ArmA 2 came in 2009, lowest sale price in steam was $6.49 (right now). See you after 4 years. :)

Hopefully. I didn't expect it would go down to $5 in a year - I knew what I was saying when I said I'd wait.

Well at the end of day, even Steam haters will have to admit that, Steam saved the day... :rolleyes:

like some couldnt wait a day till the BI store was fixed lol ;-)

like some couldnt wait a day till the BI store was fixed lol ;-)

You dont know when it would be fixed if Steam didnt unload all the traffic from BI Store.