Sign in to follow this  
BobcatBob

Will there be any fixed wing aircraft in the first release of the Alpha?

If so, what improvements can we expect? (Better handeling? RTT guncam/laser targeting screens)?

I think they will more or less rely on the community to implement the targeting systems again. Quite the same as Arma 2 with ACE.

But now: We have render to texture so we may get working cockpit computers!

And I really hope they improved the flight models too.

I've just watched the f-18 mission from battlefield 3 again, and would really love something similar implemented to the laser and targeting system used in that. With the new addition of the cameras ect being added, I'm sure the community will come up with something.

Ya the biggest problem i had with arma 2 was that aircraft couldn't laser designate there own targets. Now with the new rtt and physx i cant wait to bomb my friends from miles above them without them ever knowing i was there! :D

I hope there are fixed wing aircraft in the alpha, if not it is an opertunity missed by BIS as flying a fixed wing through and above those volumetric clouds in ToH is a sublime experience.

One of the thing that makes me not buying the Hind pack for TOH is that knowing the DLC won't features the minimum amount of avionics and fire control system, not even proper HUD with proper parallex effect pretty much lose the hold point for flying a gunship..

For fixed winged aircraft in arma III - go to your favourite addon download website or tools - select your jet from Arma II - place addon in folder for addons for Arma III - start the game and hope it works.

If not give it a day or two for new crew names to be found out and you'll see jet before Thursday - Promise :)

I could be wrong, but I believe they said somewhere in one of these threads that for the start of Alpha they want us to be testing ground units and combat, and so they won't be including aircraft at the moment. Not sure about the submersible or boats 'cos that wasn't mentioned, but they're not "ground" per se.. hopefully a dev or someone with a link can come along and give a better answer shortly. :) (I'm utter garbage with the search function, and I couldn't find shit beyond the "8 vehicles" thing on the arma3.com site)

They 'might' not include jets - but we can. :)

For fixed winged aircraft in arma III - go to your favourite addon download website or tools - select your jet from Arma II - place addon in folder for addons for Arma III - start the game and hope it works.

If not give it a day or two for new crew names to be found out and you'll see jet before Thursday - Promise :)

This. Importing models shouldn't be too difficult, but ARMA2 models might need to be tweaked/improved for the revamped engine.

Yup so modders get to it 8)- Personally would love to see latest F18 or maybe an F15e(modded), one can only hope. Think I recall fixed a/c was f35 but I believe Alpha is concentrating solely on infantry to start out.

best bet is that whatever was in the demos for E3 and the press is in (so maybe the f35) and we know at least 1 heli is in (otherwise why a heli demo mission/test)

the impression i get is that this is simply meant to be a better version of the press demo for intial testing across many rigs, and start getting community feedback (and see what we can break :D)

they then probally want to patch and increase the test load (like all the other aphlas and beta's i've been in)

I would really love to know this as well. If any, how many.

Yup so modders get to it 8)- Personally would love to see latest F18 or maybe an F15e(modded), one can only hope. Think I recall fixed a/c was f35 but I believe Alpha is concentrating solely on infantry to start out.

Arma 3 takes place 20 years in the future .. that would make the F18 and F15 of 50 or 60-year old platform technologies. Maybe if America ran out of money in the future .. oh, wait. Nevermind.

Arma 3 takes place 20 years in the future .. that would make the F18 and F15 of 50 or 60-year old platform technologies. Maybe if America ran out of money in the future .. oh, wait. Nevermind.

production has stoped anyway i'm fairly sure, in fact i think f22 production has stoped as well.

i read something about all the production gear having been scraped for both systems already

I wish ArmA III has something like the Cessna 182 from OFP. I loved flying around the islands with the small civilian plane in OFP. It was so relaxing. :o

It would be nice to have the F-35 (if I'm correct) that's seen in a few screenshots in the alpha.

production has stoped anyway i'm fairly sure, in fact i think f22 production has stoped as well.

i read something about all the production gear having been scraped for both systems already

F-22A Production has ceased (Primarily due to restrictions on export, no doubt if someone close like Australia or the UK ordered them they could be approved and produced), but F/A-18 E/F models production is still in full swing, Australia received 24 F/A-18's in 2011 and another expected 24 in 2013-2014 and F-15 production is expected to restart with the F-15SE (Silent Eagle, a low observable F-15) in development, even F-16's are still being produced for UAE and the Iraqi Air force.

The Alpha is a very limited subset of content, which doesn't include fixed-wing aircraft. Other 'big' things that are (currently) unavailable are tracked vehicles (i.e. tanks, artillery), attack helicopters (i.e. hamoks), static weapon and all support vehicles (i.e. fuel, ammo, repair).

The initial release of the alpha is pretty much infantry focused, and even then, it's a limited sub-set. It's missing, for example, anti-materiel rifles, dedicated AT and AA weapons (a simple one-launcher-to-lock-them all is our best current compromise, but does not, thankfully, represent our final intentions).

That being said, included are the MRAPs and the light helicopter, so there are some basic tools at our disposal for putting missions together. I'd emphasise again: we're starting off quite limited, and are adding as we go along up until release.

Best,

RiE

Thanks for the detailed response Jay! I guess I'll have to wait for the Beta to see me some top gunnin'!

Edited by BobcatBob

The Alpha is a very limited subset of content, which doesn't include fixed-wing aircraft. Other 'big' things that are (currently) unavailable are tracked vehicles (i.e. tanks, artillery), attack helicopters (i.e. hamoks), static weapon and all support vehicles (i.e. fuel, ammo, repair).

The initial release of the alpha is pretty much infantry focused, and even then, it's a limited sub-set. It's missing, for example, anti-materiel rifles, dedicated AT and AA weapons (a simple one-launcher-to-lock-them all is our best current compromise, but does not, thankfully, represent our final intentions).

That being said, included are the MRAPs and the light helicopter, so there are some basic tools at our disposal for putting missions together. I'd emphasise again: we're starting off quite limited, and are adding as we go along up until release.

Best,

RiE

Understandable! It's an Alpha after all. Lets not rush anything. :)

MY BODY IS READY

I'm glad BI are breaking us into the content nice and slowly, still I think I might just explode in my pants if I find the AH9 in the editor tomorrow.

Best,

RiE

You might want to rethink that, or make it very clear that this is a temporary solution. Otherwise there will be missunderstandings!

Simply name it Temporary solution Luncher or something like that..