Sign in to follow this  
Neus

Getting out of/into the water animation

Something that comes to mind when watching the gamescom demonstration is the diving showcase, where the player gets out of the water before silently taking out the enemy and taking his clothes. What the demo didn't show was the player submerging from the ocean and stepping onto land... They skipped to when the player was fully submerged.

In A2 when you get near the shore your player freezes and a clunky/ugly animation brings him a few feet in front and onto land. What can we expect from A3? Will the transition of ocean to land/land to ocean be a lot smoother than before?

Without a doubt, it will be better. They wouldn't implement a major gameplay feature like being able to dive and use underwater vehicles without improving upon that really clunky animation. The animations have all been improved, and that would definitely be no exception.

They may not have shown it in that video because it wasn't ready yet.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I'm interested to know whether it will be similar to the way Grand Theft Auto 4's worked, with the help of the new physics.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, I'm interested to know whether it will be similar to the way Grand Theft Auto 4's worked, with the help of the new physics.

Oh man, it'd be amazing if BIS licensed Euphoria for their next games.

hmmmmmmmm I never thought of that.... good catch. I too hope it is improved, I liken all the animations currently to that of the vehicle, they are a "one size fits all" animation and really just don't work well, especially in multiplayer when attempting to kill someone in the midst of an animation, they are essentially teleporting around and it gets frustrating

I suppose come Tuesday we will find out... I really don't mind the animation, just as long as its not as slow and clunky as A2.

@covert I know what you mean. The worst is when you shoot someone as theyre getting out of a vehicle, and they get out fine but suddenly drop dead as soon as the anim ends...

This is one of the area that I really want BI to improve upon, a complete break of smooth transition between animation and animation has always been a big impression breaker, it is, however, one of the area that BI seems to forgot the most, I hope I am wrong this time around, but still:\

I can't imagine they'd ignore a transitional animation from/to water and land, especially with the whole underwater world now available. As for the demonstrations, I'm pretty sure that they just didn't have the animation ready. Keep in mind that those demonstrations were done almost a year ago now.

I can't imagine they'd ignore a transitional animation from/to water and land, especially with the whole underwater world now available. As for the demonstrations, I'm pretty sure that they just didn't have the animation ready. Keep in mind that those demonstrations were done almost a year ago now.

Again, don't hold too high hope on such things, they had a tradition of "thinking othewise"

I'm well aware of that, but I'm confident that come full release there will be an acceptable animation for getting into and out of the water. Underwater operations are too much of an emphasis of Arma 3 to ignore this.

I'm well aware of that, but I'm confident that come full release there will be an acceptable animation for getting into and out of the water. Underwater operations are too much of an emphasis of Arma 3 to ignore this.

Well maybe if enough people bitch about that they will change it, we'll see ;)

on the same subject of transitional/blended animations, hopefully there's a more fleshed out enter/exit animation for vehicles.

@john I hope so!

Anyway I've just thought, it must have been changed considering how much underwater operations have been emphasised @nomofica, in the diving showcase, Jay talks about how a helo flys above the water overhead and drops off enemy's... Now surely they wouldn't use a clunky animation for this. Hopefully using the ragdol/physics the player will fall into the water naturally and more fluid.

on the same subject of transitional/blended animations, hopefully there's a more fleshed out enter/exit animation for vehicles.

I hope! The hopping-out always weirded me out, no door anim. etc.

Was it TOH that the door opened when you got in/out of the helo?

what worries me more is how you can sprint with fins on your feet

i may be going over the top, but i honestly would prefer if the game had only 5 vehicles total and they all behaved realistically with proper animations for doors and human interactions rtaher than 30 vehicles and they all had generic or no animations

what worries me more is how you can sprint with fins on your feet

It would look a bit funny if they did that penguin walk kind of thing for the animation though haha. Maybe the character lifts his knees and feet higher than usual, uses more stamina and is slightly slower?