Sign in to follow this  
rehtus777

Putting Stratis into perspective on size.

Anyone else here see some similarity between Altis and Nogova from CWC? They're practically the same shape, just one is bigger than the other.

Barely. They both have a large inlet, but that's about it. The terrain itself is quite different.

You do realize that Altis is based on Lemnos? According to this website, Nogova was a completely fictional island with landmarks from the Czech Republic.

BIS once said that the campaign of ArmA3 will be more like BAF. Which in turn means there are more similarities with OFP Res than Nogova-shaped island

Ok so who's going to be the first to walk from one side to the other and see how long it takes?

Ok so who's going to be the first to walk from one side to the other and see how long it takes?

I will no doubt walk it, but just for the hike and to check the map out and not to time it.

Chernos is 225km² of landmass, Altis 270km². Is not that bigger if you don't count the seafloor but is nice enough.

I guess thats the thing now though, that we could technically count the ocean as terrain in comparison to the rest of the map due to coral reefs, ship wreaks and such were as the ocean in Arma 2 was just flat sand.

a very old video showing a bit of Altis huuuuuuge distances.

Its one of the videos I only found today (even if its so old) and its by far the video with the best resolution while showing off a overlook over Altis.

Btw: You can see that they put a lot of explosions off in the main town^^

BUT BE AWARE!! THIS IS CONTENT WHICH IS NEARLY A YEAR OLD!!! AND STRATIS LOOKS WAY BETTER THAN THIS - so no its not representative for anything more than then the size (and a bit map layout)

Best regards

Ps: Pls notice - you have probably seen another version from this video before - but the quality is new

Edited by NordKindchen

a very old video showing a bit of Altis huuuuuuge distances.

Its one of the videos I only found today (even if its so old) and its by far the video with the best resolution while showing off a overlook over Altis.

Btw: You can see that they put a lot of explosions off in the main town^^

BUT BE AWARE!! THIS IS CONTENT WHICH IS NEARLY A YEAR OLD!!! AND STRATIS LOOKS WAY BETTER THAN THIS - so no its not representative for anything more than then the size (and a bit map layout)

Best regards

Ps: Pls notice - you have probably seen another version from this video before - but the quality is new

Yes, I agree. Altis looks really good even in the Old Videos - they've had two years to improve on that Island since they first introduced it to use at E3 in 2011. Altis is going to be a real Treat.

I hope there will be forested areas on Altis. Since it looks like it has quite large urban areas, flat plains for proper tank fights (something I missed in Chernarus and Takistan), probably even a swamp (maybe making vehicles impossible to use there?).

If you remember Camp Maxwell and areas around it on Stratis were a desert when shown on E3 2012 but now it's a big lush forest and the camp is desolated giving a quite moody feeling. And it adds to the variety too. Fighting inside forests is very dangerous and exciting.

I really hope that BI puts some aircraft carrier around the island. It would be insane.

Stratis about 1/3 the size of Chernarus, and Chernarus is about 1/3 the size of Altis. (At least thats what I have been told) So I am pretty excited for the massive playground that Altis will become!

The sad thing is we'll need maps that are 1,000x1,000km to use jets properly though and ridiculous view/shadow/object draw distances to boot! BI will need to come up with some badass terrain generation/editing tools for that scale and detail in the next decade if that is to become feasible.

borrow them tools from Just Cause 2. It works flawlessly with long distances.

---------- Post added at 11:12 ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 ----------

That is a really good idea, I like events like that. We hosted - I'm sure someone else has as well - jumping contest with rubber boats in OFP. Some guys would huddle in the boat on top of a hill and someone would drive a bus onto it.

We also flung people in the car with a helicopter.

This is why I love these games :)

There's a large Salt Flat plane somewhere on the NE part of Altis if I remember correctly. Great tank battles on there.

As for Carriers, those should be much more easier to model/use now with PhysX in ARMA, you won't need to worry about ridiculous collisions with aircraft etc if it's worked on a little bit!

I am just a bit worried about the quality of the satmap image with the size of Altis.

Hopefully we wont get any less resoluted range textures as on Stratis. 1px/m is low enough.

Holy hell I did not realized that it was that big!

The feeling of realistic scale in this version of Arma is amazing - BI devs have been working very hard and it shows!

That made me lol my pants. It always cracked me up when friends would go on about how "massive" the maps were in BF3 having played OFP and ArmA games for so long lol.

Hehe very nice! :) Would it be possible to put the biggest BF map (is it Bandar Desert?) in a photocamparison with Altis as well?

hehe yes ;)

http://www.abload.de/img/armavsbattlefieldmaps37j5s.jpg

the whole thing of Logistics / transport / flying Jets in BF3 is not present or simply a bad joke...

bandar desert?

http://www.abload.de/img/bandardesertarmav5jwr.jpg

but its not so exact I count pixel and calculate in percentage how I must shrink them - I would say +/- 5%

when I take 200ppl server then 20 AI per person and we have the fight density of a typical BF Game if we wanted this.

Edited by tremanarch

hehe yes ;)

http://www.abload.de/img/armavsbattlefieldmaps37j5s.jpg

the whole thing of Logistics / transport / flying Jets in BF3 is not present or simply a bad joke...

bandar desert?

http://www.abload.de/img/bandardesertarmav5jwr.jpg

but its not so exact I count pixel and calculate in percentage how I must shrink them - I would say +/- 5%

when I take 200ppl server then 20 AI per person and we have the fight density of a typical BF Game if we wanted this.

+1. Nice. Later, I'm going to have to take this post to a new level and start comparing Stratis / Altis to other places on the Earth...like New York City, London, or LA. I compared Altis to my home area and ALTIS is huge.

Question, are they going to model the watermass between Lemnos and Stratis?

Also, I can see a huge potential for air combat being modeled/design within that engine for those spaces, however BI tent to model out of realistic deployable units, which means that no Fighters will be modelled, but rather multi-purpose aircraft or portable aircraft for ground assist and mobile deployment (as in ArmA II's Ru and Taki factions had Su-25s as support aircrafts, US had A-10 and Av-8s, only higer capacity bomber was the Su-34).

I expect to see about the same for ArmA II, I don't think they will be any Su-35s or F-22s, there is no space for it, but seeing maybe a Gripen or a Rafale in the game would make for good multi-purpose air combats (I'm not sure the Rafale would be it but the Gripen seems like a good candidate for BI interactive, it fits the design and tone of the game, it fits it's place on the theme set for the game), a dogfight between a Gripen and a F-35 could be a good/realistic encounter if OPFOR would be included which such a plane, which seems like the only thing offor would use(Takis had the L-39, so why not?)