Sign in to follow this  
rehtus777

Putting Stratis into perspective on size.

Does anyone know if we will get the digital map before the final release?

Does anyone know if we will get the digital map before the final release?

No one knows. My guess is that they won't release the digital map until the FULL simulator is released. Why? They want to keep Altis "new" and "fresh" on release day...... they want as few "Spoil Alerts" as possible. This gives BIS the ability to release certain information on their time.

We need an 64 player Ultra Marathon MP event on this beast. Or maybe like Ironman Triathalon -4 km swim/180km Bike/and 40km run. Now with fatigue and beverages!

Let our avatars sweat it out while we get stinkin drunk!

:beeeers::beeeers:

We need an 64 player Ultra Marathon MP event on this beast. Or maybe like Ironman Triathalon -4 km swim/180km Bike/and 40km run. Now with fatigue and beverages!

How appropriate... a Marathon....Stratis being Greek and all. :p My avatar is going to say the following right before he dies of exhaustion, "Nike."

Edited by rehtus777

64 is a bit small already, take it up to 128 then I'll be happy:yay:

This is something I would skip school for!

80/100 = .8 = 80% (example)

(cherno)225/270(Atlis) = .83 = 83%

Chernarus is 83% the size of Atlis

(Stratis)20/270(Atlis) = .074 = 7%

Our playing ground is big and it isn't even 1/10th the size of Atlis ... the map is enormous

Even if Cherno is big most of it is trees and Atlis being a whole ~17% larger is an added bonus!

Edited by Zyromkiru

(cherno)225/270(Atlis) = .83 = 83%

Chernarus is 83% the size of Atlis

Actually Chernarus isn't 225km of landmass, it's more like 162 (not counting the barren land to the north and west)

So Chernarus is 60% the size of Altis. Or, Altis is 66% bigger than Chernarus, in landmass alone.

Altis gets a big boost however in explorable under water, especially if it varied with modelled caves and things of that nature.

And heck who knows, albiet unlikely, if there is underground capability then that adds more artificial size.

I'm going to update this thread over here when the 5th comes around with some videos comparing the scope and scale and level of detail between ArmA 2, OA, and Arma 3 Alpha islands. Once I have the alpha one shot, I'll do some comparisons of flying over the longest cross section of the islands, etc to give a visual, in game idea of how the scale compares. Once we get access to the second ArmA 3 map I'll be doing the same thing.

I'm going to update this thread over here when the 5th comes around with some videos comparing the scope and scale and level of detail between ArmA 2, OA, and Arma 3 Alpha islands. Once I have the alpha one shot, I'll do some comparisons of flying over the longest cross section of the islands, etc to give a visual, in game idea of how the scale compares. Once we get access to the second ArmA 3 map I'll be doing the same thing.

Cool. But remember, the Alpha is not the final / polished product when it comes to detail.

Huge maps are sweet but, does anyone know if there is going to much in the way of urban combat?

BI shows that cherno is 225km and say that atlis is 270km. including the whole map which is basically what I'm talking about

Well if the map is this big... We all start to pray the AI can run into bulidings and fire out of them.

Well if the map is this big... We all start to pray the AI can run into bulidings and fire out of them.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much here as there's been zero mention of any new AI behaviours -only streamlined. Autonomous AI building usage (in an intendend not haphazard way) would definitely fall under a 'new' behaviour I would say.

Although perhaps 'cover' has been made to now include interior as an option rather than the AI just running to the exterior sides of buildings -guess we find out soon enough.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much here as there's been zero mention of any new AI behaviours -only streamlined. Autonomous AI building usage (in an intendend not haphazard way) would definitely fall under a 'new' behaviour I would say.

Although perhaps 'cover' has been made to now include interior as an option rather than the AI just running to the exterior sides of buildings -guess we find out soon enough.

Try this link

The Video starts in German, but it will switch to English at the 17 Second mark.

Jay Crowe explains the AI in this video.....the AI in ArmA 3 seem to be behaving much better than in ArmA2.

Edited by rehtus777

I don't think anything is going to be able to beat the immersion of taking a peaceful stroll around Altis or Stratis. That's all I'm doing on Tuesday, find my sweet-spot for GFX settings and go for a little adventure.

BI shows that cherno is 225km and say that atlis is 270km. including the whole map which is basically what I'm talking about

Cherno's whole map is 225km including water. Altis's entire map including water is something like 744km (according to the official map image)

really I could have sworn this was including both land and water.I'll have to check it out.

really I could have sworn this was including both land and water.I'll have to check it out.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/087/0/3/arma_3_limnos_story_map_by_arma3-d4u3yb0.jpg

If that scale is correct, then what I said was accurate.

I'm certain it is correct, because I calculated the total area of land myself with an image editor, and my result matched up with what BIS said it to be.

Really cool to see my wordpress blog was visited for these screenshots of utes and stratis. ( and visit by other states )

http://arma3.wordpress.com/

When alpha come out i will post a list of target icon ( - nosplash -worldempty ... ) and list of line in A3.profile

ATM it will be only in french, but i will upload some other screens, benchmark,tweak )

Anyone else here see some similarity between Altis and Nogova from CWC? They're practically the same shape, just one is bigger than the other.