Sign in to follow this  
rehtus777

Putting Stratis into perspective on size.

Just Cause 2's map is bigger than all of Arma's maps though, that thing is 1000sq kilometers...

Yeah I still play JC2 frequently, still blown away by it.

Chernos is 225km² of landmass, Altis 270km². Is not that bigger if you don't count the seafloor but is nice enough.

Chern is not 225km of landmass. That is a bit of an overstatement, based on 15x15km map size.

I just did some calculations of my own based on this map, and found that that map covers an area of about 195km squared, and only 83% of that map is land, which results in 161.85km of landmass in Chernarus.

If Altis really is 270km of landmass, that is a significantly larger amount. (66% more)

And judging by this image, that figure sounds correct.

Yep and do note that there should be more detail overall on Limnos too than on Cheranrus.

People say JC2 map is big but eh - a map from JC2 would be really boring to play on in ArmA due to not being of such high fidelity. Cooler for planes though yeah.

Yep and do note that there should be more detail overall on Limnos too than on Cheranrus.

People say JC2 map is big but eh - a map from JC2 would be really boring to play on in ArmA due to not being of such high fidelity. Cooler for planes though yeah.

Uh-oh, you used the dreaded "L" word....put 5 dollars in the kitty. :D (Jay Crowe Tweet joke)

Found this picture while researching "Altis". Here is my question: Is it real or is it ArmA III?

arma3screenshot1207014.jpg

PS. I had to lower the image quality to meet requirements.

Considering there are no cars or people, and the shadows look pretty video-gamey, I'd say that's Arma.

Edit: Yeah, it's Arma. http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/12/new-arma-3-screenshots/

Some clever devil decided to crop out the bottom of the screenshot...

:o You caught me. Your link shows the image in higher quality. I love that picture, it looks so real - I can't wait to enter that town with a platoon of Marines and going into Kaminia with Opfor troops occupying it. Tuesday can't come early enough (although I think this is an Altis town).

PS. Compare that pcgamer image with the image below. Interesting. Is it real or ArmA III? ;)

oles0096.jpg

Edited by rehtus777

http://www.athensbytaxi.com/eikones/t_Limnos0021_b.jpg

This looks like that village from the other side, except more late spring compared to clearly late summer in ArmA3 screenies

Wow, that looks almost like the simulator's graphics (of course we are limited by the image quality of the photos).

Ok, that's it....I'm ordering new hardware. If I'm going to get those wonderful graphics with 30 - 60fps while in a fire fight, im going to have to chuck my GTX470 + Phenom II 3.4GHz + 8 RAM (overclocked) and buy something with more juice. Time for a second job or a rummage sale.

Nice Thread, I had no idea that the new islands are actually THAT much bigger

The big tank battles on the relatively flat lands on the east side of Altis will be awesome. Lots and lots of room to manouvre.

From what I gather about the way the landscape loads into your RAM from the HD it might actually be worthwhile investing in a new C drive that's a fast SSD.

The big tank battles on the relatively flat lands on the east side of Altis will be awesome. Lots and lots of room to manouvre.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2012/087/0/3/arma_3_limnos_story_map_by_arma3-d4u3yb0.jpg

The area near Atsiki & all the way to the Eastern coast is definitely the place for that. Altis reminds me of Sahrani - http://community.bistudio.com/wikidata/images/d/d1/ArmA_Sahrani_Map_Large.jpg

Rotate Altis 90 degrees to the left and you have Sahrani. :) The Atsiki-Airfield will become the New Corazol!

P.S. I'm about to break down in tears: Ortego, Cayo, Corazol, Paraiso, Bagango, Dolores - so many memories!

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

I'm sure someone can merge Altis and Stratis together onto one map. Just imagine that approximate 30km's worth of sea in between them! Would make for some interesting, realistic gameplay. :)

Just out curiosity,any ideas how much bigger they are compared to Sahrani Island? As Sahrani was pretty big to in ArmA1

Just out curiosity,any ideas how much bigger they are compared to Sahrani Island? As Sahrani was pretty big to in ArmA1

IIRC, Sahrani is about 100 square kilometers of landmass.

love the fact that stratis almost looks like a shark tooth(hereby called shark tooth island by me :) )

I've forgot about how large Everon and Malden is, how would those compare to with stratis?

Just find the video with the person falling from the sky and you can see how big atlis is... it's huge compared to Arma 2's map for 1 reason..all that wasted land of pure trees is now partly water (cooler since you can go under it) and more towns and all. If you watch that vid wherever it is on youtube you will see how many buildings there are (or were) in atlis

Holy shit, it's (main island) about double the size in landmass.

I've forgot about how large Everon and Malden is, how would those compare to with stratis?

I don't think you can compare with Everon and Malden.

This website shows all of the old maps: http://blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=jdw13579&logNo=140177513329

The old ArmA CWA Maps seem to have 13kmx13km ( 169km² ) with half of it water. The reason why you can't directly compare their landmass is that they are much less populated then the newer maps. Huge areas are just countryside / empty fields without anything.

Btw.: Why is the BIS WIki not containing all these maps inside the wiki entries of the maps? There are only pictures of specific spots on the island but no real map.

Btw.: Why is the BIS WIki not containing all these maps inside the wiki entries of the maps? There are only pictures of specific spots on the island but no real map.

Its a wiki, feel free to add things. ;)