Sign in to follow this  
Yett71

The Giant Alpha Media Thread

Wow, those animations looks just incredible. What? BF3? Never heard of it ;). And that countdown finishes just in time when I come home from work, yay!!!

I don't know about you guys, but I love the look of the doors... (Yes that's right)

I really like the way that they open so smoothly and you don't have to walk around looking for the interaction position!

Now we can do smooth and fast building breaches properly ;)

I'm so stoked for this game, words can't express it :eek: I've waited years for this moment, and it HAPPENS TODAY!

How fucking AWESOME was that. Seriously those firefights in the forest had me ducking in my chair. Ragdoll makes a huge difference to realism. Seen how many new members are suddenly requesting Alpha lite trials, this game is going to sell like crazy!

-_- Would it kill BIS to hire someone that actually knows a thing or two about sound design. I mean my god, they even toted a new sound engine as a "new feature". Sound is incredibly important for immersion. I hear recycled Arma 2 sounds and wow. Pretty lazy. Explosions have those trademark highs and the sonic "cracks" sound more like clicks than snaps. I am not trolling. I am a serious fan of the series but enough is enough. They made money this year. Give back with a little extra polish. Especially when you've made sound a "new feature" along with TOH FM (also not 100% in) I hope to god JSRS 1.5 gets ported, and quick. BF 3 for all it's shortcomings in the realism department has extravagant sound. Some would say Hollywood, I say immersive. Distance attenuation is done amazingly in BF3. And yes I know it's alpha, but let's be serious. Sound design is not something BIS is going to focus on in the time between now and the full launch. What we are hearing is (unfortunately) what we are probably getting. (for the most part) Can I get an amen? An F you works too.

Calm down Combat you're going to end up banned if you keep it up.

Games usually contain a lot of placeholders until they're out of beta. Would not be surprised if BIS is still using some placeholders for sound effects aswell as 3d assets.

Read PC gamer article.

Disappointing that overcast weather still disables shadows makes the lighting feel very one dimensional.

Explosion smoke still look blah too.

Notice the ragdoll animation when the vehicle drives over the soldier at 4:26 in the PC Gamer video, now that is a major improvement over Arma 2

Calm down Combat you're going to end up banned if you keep it up.

Games usually contain a lot of placeholders until they're out of beta. Would not be surprised if BIS is still using some placeholders for sound effects aswell as 3d assets.

Read PC gamer article.

Disappointing that overcast weather still disables shadows makes the lighting feel very one dimensional.

Explosion smoke still look blah too.

I'm confused, you get banned here for saying something negative about ARMA? Everyone can give their positive opinions but negative criticism is ban-able? Comon. I hope the moderators are more adult than that. I love the game don't get me wrong, a lot looks good, but a lot looks the same as well. When it comes to sound, you should never cut corners. Ragdoll is an amazing stretch forward towards immersion. I hope you're right about the place holders, however unlikely.

At this point CombatComm the simplest answer would be "they spent all the budget on infantry animations, sounds were (like TOH flight model and Java) lower priority".

I'm confused, you get banned here for saying something negative about ARMA? Everyone can give their positive opinions but negative criticism is ban-able? Comon. I hope the moderators are more adult than that. I love the game don't get me wrong, a lot looks good, but a lot looks the same as well. When it comes to sound, you should never cut corners. Ragdoll is an amazing stretch forward towards immersion. I hope you're right about the place holders, however unlikely.

Lets makes it clear, sound engine =/= sound design

How is placeholders unlikely in early alpha?

How is placeholders unlikely in early alpha?

For something as extensive and neglected in the past by BIS as good sound, very. Hell in any case, BIS wont know what to work on if we don't say it so. Yah, sound sucks BIS. I shudder to think what the voice acting is going to be like. (again, there is plenty I like, I just find the sound design or lack thereof, lazy.)

For something as extensive and neglected in the past by BIS as good sound, very. Hell in any case, BIS wont know what to work on if we don't say it so. Yah, sound sucks BIS. I shudder to think what the voice acting is going to be like. (again, there is plenty I like, I just find the sound design or lack thereof, lazy.)
:rolleyes: Puh-lease, if they actually listened to this forum they'd never have gotten anywhere.

As for voice acting... answer: The voice acting is probably done by Jay Crowe. :p

Considering that overhauled sound/AI mechanics have been some of the most frequently requested features from Arma 2, I'd say the devs have had plenty of time to make any changes. If they're not in the alpha then they won't be in the final game. It's that simple.

But hey...why bother as a dev when you know the community will just mod it in anyways?

Found new media :hyper:

Infantry Scenario gameplay (30 minutes, german, 3 hours old)

eoq3sXXIQSM

Takistan imported (by kju i think)

RkPDNmEF8do

Chernarus imported (by kju i think)

zRLEDvEQc78

Edited by Ginger McAle
source added

But hey...why bother as a dev when you know the community will just mod it in anyways?

Bullshit! The game is in alpha version and already many legacy problems present for 12 years have been eliminated!

Not exactly media, more like the result of it and the amount of hype this game is receiving, well done BIS. :)5 minutes ago:

There are currently 1502 users online. 282 members and 1220 guestsmost users ever online was 1,551, mar 21 2010 at 22:36.
now:
There are currently 1761 users online. 300 members and 1461 guestsMost users ever online was 1,772, Today at 20:18.

Wait, so A3 is so backwards compatible that all you have to do is plop the pbo's into the right folder?